Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class Balance Changes Coming to Guild Wars 2 in July 7 Patch

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageClass Balance Changes Coming to Guild Wars 2 in July 7 Patch

Not to be left out, Guild Wars 2 is seeing its own host of balance changes arriving in an upcoming July 7 patch.

Read the full story here

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    edited July 2020
    So in other words, as is the case with so many other games, we are nerfing the skills players have mastered and used successfully in the game to balance the expectations the developers desire. Meanwhile more than 70% of the games casual players who play for fun will decide, meh, this class is no fun, I just make another, ah forget that I am gonna go play (insert other game here). Why would you mess with this now with the increase in population? I get there are other perspectives and while others may feel this is due but the timing is off imo.
    psychosiz1HuntrezzViper482velimiriusLydonalkarionlogAmathe
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

So in other words, as is the case with so many other games, we are nerfing the skills players have mastered and used successfully in the game to balance the expectations the developers desire. Meanwhile more than 70% of the games casual players who play for fun will decide, meh, this class is no fun, I just make another, ah forget that I am gonna go play (insert other game here). Why would you mess with this now with the increase in population? I get there are other perspectives and while others may feel this is due but the timing is off imo.

An MMO that does not grow, change and adapt in doomed to fail. It's good news if they do it right.
    Viper482HuntrezzLydonZenJellyalkarionlog
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

NO the biggest Boon is to Necros who do not need any more buffs. What you will see in WvW is mostly necros now, nothing else after this patch.
    sumdumguy1

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200

I have to agree. I don't understand the rationale for these changes with the current resurgence of the game.
    Huntrezz
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    I've come to the conclusion that MMOs play FOTM so they can sell boosts and whatever else you need in their stores. Instead of rerolling just buy the new FOTM, and I know for a fact people do. Just rinse, repeat every other patch or so and profit. ESO is real good at this because you have to buy inventory, mount speed, the whole sha-bang! Because if you do it the old fashion way by the time you enjoy your new FOTM toon the next rotation will be there.
    ZenJellymoshra
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

Nanfoodle said:

An MMO that does not grow, change and adapt in doomed to fail. It's good news if they do it right.

The changes have to make sense...
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    It is unfortunate but the point of balance changes in most games is not actually to balance the game. A game that remains perfectly balanced, if such a thing is humanly possible, stagnates. On the contrary, the objective is to change the balance - force the metagame to change by intentionally highlighting certain characters or builds. League of Legends does this all the time.
    Nanfoodle[Deleted User]ZenJellyMagikarpsGhost
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Aeander said:
    It is unfortunate but the point of balance changes in most games is not actually to balance the game. A game that remains perfectly balanced, if such a thing is humanly possible, stagnates. On the contrary, the objective is to change the balance - force the metagame to change by intentionally highlighting certain characters or builds. League of Legends does this all the time.
    MMOs are organic in nature. Stagnate is fitting. 
    [Deleted User]
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    This game is just to messed up to fix anyways. Most people just play the base game now anyways. The expansion content is so over the top with how hard it is to kill anything. They really blew it with this game with all these changes that just seem to piss most people off.
    HuntrezzvelimiriusZenJelly
    Hariken said:
    This game is just to messed up to fix anyways. Most people just play the base game now anyways. The expansion content is so over the top with how hard it is to kill anything. They really blew it with this game with all these changes that just seem to piss most people off.
    It is not hard. You just can't hit one skill and kill things. You actually have to understand the build you are using. And there are plenty of people in the expansions. They give more rewards than the main game AND they have mounts.
    HuntrezzValdheimvelimirius[Deleted User]

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

botrytis said:

Hariken said:

It is not hard. You just can't hit one skill and kill things. You actually have to understand the build you are using. And there are plenty of people in the expansions. They give more rewards than the main game AND they have mounts.

kinda hard when the devs wan tot force your build in a template, my rifle warrior during the first year was a lot more usefull then it is now.

pretty much gw2 is a meta game, devs force you to play the meta, because leaving the meta will cause then problem and they don't want you to have fun
    HarikenAsm0deus
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    edited July 2020

botrytis said:

Hariken said:

kinda hard when the devs wan tot force your build in a template, my rifle warrior during the first year was a lot more usefull then it is now.

pretty much gw2 is a meta game, devs force you to play the meta, because leaving the meta will cause then problem and they don't want you to have fun
    Rifle Warrior has unfortunately never been good, much less meta, at any point, ever.

It's why I laugh at people who say that GW2's reduction in skills from GW1 is okay because "GW2 is more balanced." Bollocks. There are entire weapons and trait lines that are, or were at some point, basically unviable. GW1 has more viable builds than GW2 has possible builds.
    Hariken
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

botrytis said:

Hariken said:

What makes you think i'm spamming one skill and don't understand my build? This is such a tired old lame reply when someones points out the unbalanced expansion content compared to the base game.
    CaboSoulUngood
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Aeander said:

botrytis said:

Hariken said:

Rifle Warrior has unfortunately never been good, much less meta, at any point, ever.

It's why I laugh at people who say that GW2's reduction in skills from GW1 is okay because "GW2 is more balanced." Bollocks. There are entire weapons and trait lines that are, or were at some point, basically unviable. GW1 has more viable builds than GW2 has possible builds.

Kind of his point isn't it, you kind of have to use meta builds, lots of fun in the base game but I find it less so in the expansions.

I only go there to get rewards and certain other things like that, not because it's "fun".

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    They're just making it look like they are still involved / updating the game when instead it is on maintenance mode.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

botrytis said:

Hariken said:

Not True - I use no meta builds and I do fine. I guess you don't understand the game as much as you think you do.

As I said, I never use meta builds.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Class balance changes are to nerfs as surprise mechanics are to loot boxes.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

botrytis said:

botrytis said:

Hariken said:

Not True - I use no meta builds and I do fine. I guess you don't understand the game as much as you think you do.

As I said, I never use meta builds.
    I do think that the truth is somewhere inbetween. The skill system in GW2 basically doesn't allow players to fail. Unless you do something actively retarded (ie: building for condi while only using weapons/skills that don't apply condis), you're going to be at least viable. You'll have all the tools to succeed, even if you aren't necessarily doing ideal dps (which has more to do with buffs and rotations than build).

It's baby's first build system, and it does half of the work for you the moment you equip your weapon.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Aeander said:

botrytis said:

Hariken said:

but here was the deal, it was good for me, I was walking around full time boons on swiftness and focus, with might on demand, plus bleeding dots around, plus over 85% crit chance on a berserker set together with soldiers runes to remove debuffs on shouts, plus heal on shouts, I did a huge damage on that set, I would change to bows when required but that was the things I did.

plus I know no one did use that, but see what did happen, they nerfed rifles several times, it was never over powered, maybe save for the fury aimed shot who could kill in line, but otehr then that not.

but see if the greatsword ever get a nerf who made it a useless weapon?

arena net is stumbling around for years, the first paid expansion they get out was the last coffin for me, I would spend more on that nerfed game
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Design principle 38 - If it's not broken, nerf it. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests