Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think No Man's Sky slowly turns into a MMO ?

AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
NMS, a project from a very small company (Hello Games), came out 2016 and has been in continued development ever since, pretty much like a MMO would be.

I dont own that game yet, though I'm very tempted. Judging from YouTube videos and the wiki, currently it looks about this:

- Since release, NMS has an insanely large procedually generated gameworld that offers about 18 quintillion (18*10^18, or exactly 2^64) different planets, each of them of relatively realistic size (so it takes days of constant walking to get to the other side of the planet), ordered into star systems with 1-6 planets each, ordered into billions of regions per galaxy, ordered into (?)256 or 257(?) galaxies (which are very hard to travel between). This number of planets is high enough that if every living human being had a NMS account (so thats 7.5 billion) and they would all play at the same time on truely random planets, there is still only about a 50% chance that there are any two players who are on the same planet in the whole game (the chance is exactly 50% at the point of 2^32 players, which is about 4 billion). Mind you, planets are not small by themselves either and you could have hundreds of players on any of them, easily.

- A somewhat simple system of three alien races (Gek - traders, Korvax [robotic] - explorers, Vy'keen [spelled "wiking"] - Warriors), each with their own language that you can slowly learn over time, with a fourth races of "travelers" which are easily a large number of races because they have all kinds of looks, and the player race called "Anormaly" which basically also belongs to the "traveler" category. You have a standing with all three races as well as various guilds that you can work on with various ways, though probably mainly through quests.

- A quite developed and complex crafting system with many different things to craft - your spacesuit with many options such as the jetpack and various equipment such as weapons, you start with a simple one but can own up to six starships, your bases (there seems to be a limit, but you can have at least 50) and that can contain all kinds of stuff, special transports for planets (car, underwater boat, since quite recently also a mech), a flying base ("freigther") that can hold a number of automated starships ("frigette") that can be sent out doing special quests.

- A number of large questlines and many MMO meh quests ("kill X of that", "deliver Y to Z", etc) - hopefully there will be even more quest content in future.

- And while it was already supposed to be there at the beginning but wasnt, they now slowly introduce multiplayer as well.

- There are two systems: Steam and GoG. A steam player cannot see a GoG player and vice versa.

- A big deal is that various computer platforms can now see each other. NMS is currently available for Windows and two consoles.

- There are four gameplay variants: creative, normal, survival, and permadeath. Players of different variants cannot see each other.

All this really reminds of EVE or Minecraft, but with its own variation.

It should be pointed out that right now there are definitely still lots of bugs, some of which are completely intolerable for a MMO, like:

- For example according to a YouTube video from Sep 2019 it has the easiest of duping bugs - you can make two accounts, take any resource, one player puts the resource into their spaceship, saves, gives that resource to another player, and quits without saving again, then when he returns the resource is both in his spaceship as well as on the other player - this of course grows exponentially and thus before long they will have massive amounts of money, quickly.

- Another nasty bug is that once you have a certain amount of money, you can buy large amounts of a resource of your choice, flood any local market with that resource so the price drops massively, then buy it all back at lower price total, then move to another system and repeat (thanks to having 10^18 planets, theres plenty of star systems available to do so), getting very rich very quickly this way, too.

- Though this one might actually work as intented, you can also get the (close to) bestspaceship far too easily and quickly, once you know how. This involves having a sufficiently large pool of money already, then farming at a space outpost that works well for this. You buy the right kind of ships and scrap them for parts at a 30% monetary loss, but you also get various kinds of drops. After a while you will get a sufficient number of special drops which are inventory extensions to expand the inventory of a small size highest tier ship, until it is a big size highest tier ship, raising the value of that ship drastically and allowing to get the money back, even at a plus. More importantly you get over many small size ships of the highest tier and you can keep the one that has the best randomly rolled stats. Additionally you get a lot of ship extension drops this way and again you can keep the ones you can use. Additionally you get a special currency called nanites as well which is needed for improving yourself in other areas.

Honestly this sounds like people would do this for days, weeks and months, in order to get the best ship possible. Thats why I assume this might work as intended. An annoying detail is that you cannot really see what starship extensions do without installing them first, so applying and reapplying them is also an area of optimization.

Answers

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited July 2020
    Probably not, would likely be a case of a small team biting off more than they can chew, much like most every other indie MMORPG still in development for the past 8 or so years. 

Seems to me MMORPGs have to be part of the design starting from the ground up, and though I'm not a game developer I can't recall a case of a single player game evolving into a MMORPG though something like GTA5 might be coming closer.

Still, I recommend you take the plunge the next time it goes on sale, I paid $35 and feel it was money well spent.

Adamantine

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited July 2020
    It's a MMO Jim, but not as we know it. You can say that for an awful lot of games that have multiplayer features. The term MMO-like seems reasonable, the one used on here "Not So MMO" (which I think Suzie coined) highlights the fact there are often more differences than similarities in what players and developers like to call a MMO.
    Scot said:
    It's a MMO Jim, but not as we know it. You can say that for an awful lot of games that have multiplayer features. The term MMO-like seems reasonable, the one used on here "Not So MMO" (which I think Suzie coined) highlights the fact there are often more differences than similarities in what players and developers like to call a MMO.
    Did you mean to say more similarities than differences?

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Yeesh !

Okay I definitely didnt want to actually set the type of this thread to "question" ...
    Kyleran said:

Still, I recommend you take the plunge the next time it goes on sale, I paid $35 and feel it was money well spent.
    Hehe thanks.

Probably wont have the patience to wait though.

Its just 60€ on GoG, even without a sale, though, and I assume the small developer gets more money if I buy outside a sale, too, so thats good too.

I've spent about 1000€ on Vanguard back in the day, during its seven year run, so thats still ultra cheap if this game keeps getting worked on and getting better and better, as it has in the past four years.

remsleep said:

I think no, it will just stay as it is now
    It has changed a lot in the past four years, especially considering its such a small company.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Not an MMO but it is a MO :)
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Not an MMO but it is a MO :)

Hehe yes, it has multiplayer now.

Even now between architectures, though I will definitely get the GoG version, so I will be PC only anyway.

One of the best features of a MMO is that its constantly worked on, and thats what we're certainly seeing here. :)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Isn't that what Star Citizen is? A No Man's Sky MMO?
    By the way I also just read in the GoG forum to make this game run correctly you have to be online, because otherwise certain functionalities (living ships) hardly work at all.

Toccatta
    Posted April 28, 2020

"However, the next major update (living ship) is almost entirely non-functional unless you are either online or hack your save to give yourself materials that you can normally only get if you're online. And even at version 2.24, there are things in the single-player game which do not function if you're offline."

So they already have a disadvantage of MMORPGs, too.

edited July 2020
    By the way I also just read in the GoG forum to make this game run correctly you have to be online, because otherwise certain functionalities (living ships) hardly work at all.

Toccatta
    Posted April 28, 2020

"However, the next major update (living ship) is almost entirely non-functional unless you are either online or hack your save to give yourself materials that you can normally only get if you're online. And even at version 2.24, there are things in the single-player game which do not function if you're offline."

So they already have a disadvantage of MMORPGs, too.

Well, my TV doesn't function well if it's offline (No Netflix, Hulu etc.) same is true of my laptop (no email), Smartphone (no Web) so does it really matter anymore these days if my games need to be online as well?

Not like I'm going anywhere without solid Internet access, not even on vacation unless I'm climbing Mount Kilimanjaro which that case I'll leave most of my devices back at base camp.

;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kilimanjaro

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    remsleep said:
    remsleep said:

I think no, it will just stay as it is now
    It has changed a lot in the past four years, especially considering its such a small company.

Which is exactly the reason why it wont ever be a full blown MMO

The jump from MO to MMO is tremendous in terms of work required on the server, database and client side.

Unless they have something that shows them the payout would be worth doing that- I dont see it happening 

For a full blown MMORPG, there needs to be a tremendous amount of work done on the three areas that @remsleep mentions: server, database, and client side.  I think the focus of NMS was primarily on the client side, with minimal work in the other areas to support a rudimentary multi-player experience.  It would be a monumental task to push NMS into a full MMORPG; I'm not sure if Hello Games has the ability to do that.  And it's entirely possible that converting the existing game into an MMORPG wouldn't require a complete redo of the client side.  It might be simpler to just start a new product.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    It is NOT a MMO; it's a MO. If I remember correctly consoles can have 16 people in the lobby at the same time, and PC supports 32.

They have (mostly) improved the game tremendously since launch.

The money, materials duping bug only hurts the one doing it. There is no P2W in this game.
    There is no PvP so having the best ships with the best weapons, almost instantly, only deprives the player of having goals to work towards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Why, I know MMOs are a lot of work.

But this seems to be a product of passion, and even now technically it would need to be able to handle hundreds of people in a single system, because technically there is nothing to stop that many people to accumulate in the same system.

Fortunately for the developers, with 2^64 = ~18*10^18 planets total, even if every human being, which are currently 7.5 billion ~ 2^33, would play the game at the same time, everybody could still have ~2^31 (i.e. ~2 billion) planets exclusively to themselves.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    My brother got into NMS for a while and had a great time with it, but ive not played it personally.

As I understand things, there is a player cap per instance (not sure if that instance is a system, or a planet, or whatever), and the player cap is way below the requirement for being massively multiplayer. It's multiplayer, sure, but not massively multiplayer. (exactly the same as elite: dangerous).

I'm not sure if it would benefit from scaling up to massively multiplayer numbers. With that many worlds, even if it was technically possible to reach mmo numbers, the chances of that many players coming together would be slim. However, from what I've seen of the game, a few more improvements to some systems could make it interesting. I really liked the idea of building bases, and all the terraforming stuff, so I think it would be fun to get together with a few hundred other players and really try to make a planet or a system your own.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    edited July 2020
    It's not a game that has ever impressed me.  No real planetary system mechanics, planets that are full of multi-coloured random crap that drop the same resources as every other planet you will visit and a cap on players.  I much prefer Elite Dangerous.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited July 2020
    seems to me like games from the past 10 years have increasing restrictions to cheat or mod, and this is because of the online component. The online component isn't merely about being able to play with others anymore. It's about microtransactions and compatability between thousands of clients. So it's getting harder for a player to customize the experience, unless the MO component is explicitly made with modding in mind, like in the case of Wurm Unlimited or minecraft servers.

Take for example the assassins creed game i have. it used to be single player games had many cheat commands for everything imaginable, or at least you could hack the save files. but now therer'e microtransactions (linked to the gameplay) and there're no in-game commands to cheat. i was actually trying to figure out how to cheat, and i could find NOHING. this is NOT like it used t obe. the blame falls squarely on online restrictions and microtransactions.
    edited July 2020
    There are no microtransactions in No Man's Sky.

And no, No Man's Sky isnt Kerbal Space program, never ever claimed to be Kerbel Space program, and wouldnt gain ANYTHING as a game if it would ever develop in that direction.