Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

spambots

DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
It's getting worse and worse all the time.
The screenshot below represents the new daily normal.

Will mmorpg install features to limit this?

https://abload.de/img/spambotsvljeo.jpg
Harbinger of Fools
[Deleted User]NildenKumaponAlBQuirkymmoloulahnmirUngoodAsheram

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Bots gone wild and apparently they give zero shits.
    AlBQuirkymmolouAsheram

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited June 2020
    It takes an actual person quite a bit of time to go through the threads and remove the posts but the bot just runs some script I guess that finds posts and posts on them. A lot of effort to remove not much to post.

This site probably doesn't have then time and manpower to do it so they just let it go.
    SovrathAlBQuirkyUngood

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    kitarad said:
    It takes an actual person quite a bit of time to go through the threads and remove the posts but the bot just runs some script I guess that finds posts and posts on them. A lot of effort to remove not much to post.

This site probably doesn't have then time and manpower to do it so they just let it go.
    Put in the tech where you at least have to click on all the images with a certain item (like a stoplight or fire hydrant) in them to create an account, or even at every post made.  Personally, I would be willing to have that 5-second inconvenience at posting to stop the bots on here.  But I imagine implementing that system would cost money that MMORPG.com doesn't have, or at least isn't willing to spend.  That, and I believe at this point, those who run this site have simply stopped caring.
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]Ungood
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    kitarad said:

Put in the tech where you at least have to click on all the images with a certain item (like a stoplight or fire hydrant) in them to create an account, or even at every post made.  Personally, I would be willing to have that 5-second inconvenience at posting to stop the bots on here.  But I imagine implementing that system would cost money that MMORPG.com doesn't have, or at least isn't willing to spend.  That, and I believe at this point, those who run this site have simply stopped caring.
    If you could put in such a system for the first X posts that would be great.  Maybe have to do it for the first 50 or so and then the requirement gets dropped

AlBQuirkyNyghthowler[Deleted User]Scot

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

kitarad said:

If you could put in such a system for the first X posts that would be great.  Maybe have to do it for the first 50 or so and then the requirement gets dropped

First 100 posts I say. That way know it will take dedication to spam these forums.
    AlBQuirkyNyghthowler
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

kitarad said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.  Even if they only did the first 10 or 20, I bet that would eliminate the problem.  These spam bot companies are probably looking for zero-effort, easy pickings like is currently the case on here.
    Dakeru
    Currently 13 recent posts in a row with responses from the same spambot.  It's getting worse and worse, and nothing is being done.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Bethesda's old forums had a NO LINK until X number of posts. I think theirs was 5. Simple. Easy. No hassle.

Make it 5 or 10 posts before someone can post a link. Problem mostly solved.
    Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Bethesda's old forums had a NO LINK until X number of posts. I think theirs was 5. Simple. Easy. No hassle.

Yeah, but some of the bots on here are already posting things like wwxw.scamsite.com to get around that.  They need to prevent the spam bots from posting at all.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    My question is always:  Who actually clicks those?  I mean, what level of human sees a bot post, in poor English, making insane claims about "I make $16k a month and you can too!" on an MMORPG site and decides to click the link?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    This may sound naive but doesn't flagging the post and giving 'spambot' as the reason go straight to the Mods?
    My question is always:  Who actually clicks those?  I mean, what level of human sees a bot post, in poor English, making insane claims about "I make $16k a month and you can too!" on an MMORPG site and decides to click the link?

Apparently, enough idiots do :lol:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

This may sound naive but doesn't flagging the post and giving 'spambot' as the reason go straight to the Mods?

I'm not sure, but those have to be manually removed. I see posts I flagged over 2 months ago (March/April) still here.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Simple fix is give limited mod rights to trusted forum members. Also add some of the things mentioned above. Like no links till you have done 10 posts. No ability to create a thread till you have 20 replies. Some action is better then none. 
    DakeruAlBQuirky
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    There could be a rea$on why $pambot$ are running wild on thi$ $ite unchecked for a while, I'll ju$t leave it at that.....
    AlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited June 2020
    Nanfoodle said:
    Simple fix is give limited mod rights to trusted forum members. Also add some of the things mentioned above. Like no links till you have done 10 posts. No ability to create a thread till you have 20 replies. Some action is better then none. 
    I am trusted /gets ready to ban !!!
    Slapshot1188AlBQuirkyKylerancheyane

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Came close when I had a double click issue with my mouse and the "Flag this!" button on the report window appeared right over the link in the thread. Luckily I was able to move my mouse cursor off to the side enough to not click through it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Nanfoodle said:
    Oh God, no.  Moderator rights to members would be so much worse and cause so much more unhappiness than the spambots do.
    [Deleted User]NyghthowlerAlBQuirky
    Siall1961 said:
    I essentially started about a month and a 1/2 age one and i have gotten a couple of test for a whole of $2,200…this is the best call I made amidst pretty some time! “grateful to you for giving Maine this incredible possibility to profit from home. This similarly cash has changed my existence in such an excellent measure of courses, to the point that, bypass on you!”…….GOOD LUCK Click this Below connect
    HERE☛……………  http://www.gocash9.com
    Now that is funny.  A spambot spamming on a post about spambots.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]NyghthowlerAlbatroesAlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Siall1961 said:
    I essentially started about a month and a 1/2 age one and i have gotten a couple of test for a whole of $2,200…this is the best call I made amidst pretty some time! “grateful to you for giving Maine this incredible possibility to profit from home. This similarly cash has changed my existence in such an excellent measure of courses, to the point that, bypass on you!”…….GOOD LUCK Click this Below connect
    Also impressive that he started doing this, as far as I can tell, when he was 13.5 months old and now he seems to be offering (heart?) bypasses. 
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Siall1961 said:
    Look at his post count; 14. Thats a dedicated spambot!
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    edited July 2020
    AlBQuirky said:

This would be a good step, but it is not full-proof. I have seen bots make a post or two without links, then edit them later to put links in. Also I have seen bots quote other posters and insert a link in the quote.
    AlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2020
    I have a simple solution albeit kind of hurts legit users.
    5 days needed after sign up and 1 month before you can post a link.Number of posts is not as effective as 1 month because they could simply spam 5 posts in 2 minutes lol.

The reason i use 5 days and 1 month is because i feel both need to be long enough to make the person lose interest and/or forget.Maybe 5 days is too harsh because a new user will be turned off big time so idk that what number makes perfect sense but the 1 month i would be steadfast on for links.

I find it sad that detection cannot spot a link just by changing one letter in the string,seems very odd.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    edited July 2020
    Making it scan for links will not work, just like it doesn't work for in-game gold spammers. They'll use spaces, special characters and what have you and will easily get around the restriction.

Introduce a captcha for the first five posts after registration and use a cooldown system after each post for accounts with < 20 posts.

Bots generate a dozen spam posts within a minute or two - no human will ever be able to do that. It's not that hard to detect.

Once the forum detects a large number of posts from the same (new) account within 5 minutes or so, all of them would be automatically hidden and flagged for review. Also, add a 1h cooldown after each post from a new account (in addition to a captcha on the first posts) and that should do it.

Edit: take a look at the comments section in the Vermintide article. It's ridiculous.

Amathe[Deleted User]
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    What's even sadder, no mod even replied as of yet.
    AlBQuirkyAmathe