Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 Season 1 Starts Tomorrow

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageFallout 76 Season 1 Starts Tomorrow

Season 1 for Fallout 76 is set to begin tomorrow. Here's what's in store.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    7/10 MMORPG.com
    It just works.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]strawhat0981Scot

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2020
    "You’ll be able to progress more quickly in the form of Atoms, Bethesda’s microtransaction currency...."

Am I the only one who couldn't stop laughing after reading this? Lol, image
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 412
    Seasons can be fun, a fresh start, fresh economy etc. But when they allow you to pay for faster progression that is essentially pay to win in it’s purest form. I don’t play Pay to Win games..period.
    BruceYee
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    F76's review: 7/10.

Never forget.
    LeFantomeKyleran[Deleted User]
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    "Season 1 for Fallout 76 is set to begin tomorrow. Here’s what’s in THE store."

fixed that for ya.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Arterius said:

Albatroes said:

"You’ll be able to progress more quickly in the form of Atoms, Bethesda’s microtransaction currency...."

Am I the only one who couldn't stop laughing after reading this? Lol, image

I would have if not every other game with a season pass lets you progress faster if you pay with money

Big difference between this and those games (minus Activision with CoD because....its Activision) is those games are usually free to play.
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Siris23 said:
    "Season 1 for Fallout 76 is set to begin tomorrow. Here’s what’s in THE store."

fixed that for ya.
    No, Season 1 really is all about getting players set on a 100 level path, feverishly grinding to obtain the top level rewards, and then setting it all on a short term timer.

As the deadline nears some or likely many will purchase Atoms to pay for their advancement, something most FO76 players rarely find any need to do, especially if they sub like me.

As it stands now, even those who don't sub can earn quite a few atoms by just playing the game doing the daily and weekly challenges, which of course this mechanic is being removed and replaced with this Season system.

strawhat0981

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Meanwhile I'm getting ready for D3 season 21. I've been simulating the season start this week with a Necro using corpse explosion and my fastest 1-70 so far is 93 minutes.

Yes it is definitely a gaming fetish once you buy in to the seasonal rush. It's like grinding a different game altogether even if you're just competing against your previous best solo.

I totally get where @Elidien is coming from but it's too late for me, I've joined the dark side :)
    [Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    Meanwhile I'm getting ready for D3 season 21. I've been simulating the season start this week with a Necro using corpse explosion and my fastest 1-70 so far is 93 minutes.

Yes it is definitely a gaming fetish once you buy in to the seasonal rush. It's like grinding a different game altogether even if you're just competing against your previous best solo.

I totally get where @Elidien is coming from but it's too late for me, I've joined the dark side :)
    Agreed about the D3 seasons, they are fun. 
    I actually like seasonal gaming. I can and skipped seasons but it is always fun to jump in and start new with an old familiar. 
    Well, this will be my first game with Seasons so I'm wary of them being a trap going in.

I am a progression junkie so it seems like I might enjoy having new goals to strive for, but hoping they don't feel more like "chores" which is literally how my friends and I refer to the daily T-Note / gold grind Wastelanders introduced to the game.

[Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

@Elidien

I do both. I coincidentally just got through replaying the Witcher 3 doing the 2 DLC for the first time. I ended up being level 51 so that should tell you how thoroughly I got into the game and immersed in the world.

That's my favorite kind of gaming experience also. Diablo 3 and Civ 5 are my casual solitaire replacements :)
    strawhat0981[Deleted User]Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Elidien said:
    I am thinking of trying FO4 since they are similar and I heard the world is good to explore.
    I really enjoyed FO4 and have played through it more than once. If you haven't played it, it's definitely worthwhile.
    Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    edited June 2020
    After all that, where are the posters who like to tell us F2P does not effect gameplay? Presumably seasons passes don't either? Any revenue model, any element of a revenue model effects gameplay, some far more than others but they always have an effect.

All that has happened as the years have rolled on is more ways of funding games have been found, mostly to the detriment of playstyle. Though not all, I would never consider cosmetics an issue (as long as bind to account is used), but we have had posters on here who did think BTA cosmetics had a negative impact mind you.
    Kyleran
    Scot said:
    ... but we have had posters on here who did think BTA cosmetics had a negative impact mind you.
    I have been one of those posters. I dislike even that for two reasons:

• If cosmetics matter to you, and I admit they don't matter much to me, cosmetics in the cash shop are always done to the detriment of cosmetics you can get through game play.
    • Games that sell them also go hog wild with new cosmetics offerings since that's their cash cow. That's large amounts of development time that don't get used for game play additions.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2020
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:
    ... but we have had posters on here who did think BTA cosmetics had a negative impact mind you.

• If cosmetics matter to you, and I admit they don't matter much to me, cosmetics in the cash shop are always done to the detriment of cosmetics you can get through game play.
    • Games that sell them also go hog wild with new cosmetics offerings since that's their cash cow. That's large amounts of development time that don't get used for game play additions.
    So have to agree with you on this.

Wastelanders introduced a new type of armor, designated as Secret Service.

While not as durable as actual power armor, it is a great alternative which even I'm working towards obtaining despite having the new T-65 set.

It's big benefit, unlike power armor which can only be reskinned as power armor, secret service can be worn invisibly under any cosmetics, from bathing suits to combat armor, giving folks much stronger incentive to obtain outfits from the Atom shop, which really are better than in game ones.

In fact, perhaps because it's meant to be covered, IMO service armor is intentionally designed to be featureless and downright ugly without a skin, unlike regular power armor which normally looks pretty good as is.

But not nearly as good as my Red Rocket Power Armor skin which 'only' cost me 1650 Atoms... Yeah, I didn't even wait for a sale.

Is Ok though, was really only one months worth of the Atoms I get from my FO1st sub and I look really awesome in it.

(Sort of like the Red Power Ranger, well, with a .50 caliber machine gun)

;)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,827
    edited July 2020
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

I don't mind if cosmetics you buy has a detrimental effect on cosmetics you can get through gameplay. But I do see the concern if cosmetics is a major cash cow; bottom line, I would rather a revenue model slowed the creation of new content than altered gameplay. Not sure how many games are that cosmetic revenue focused mind you, apart from Fornite, not even Black Desert had that many outfits.
    edited July 2020
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:
    Scot said:

I don't mind if cosmetics you buy has a detrimental effect on cosmetics you can get through gameplay. But I do see the concern if cosmetics is a major cash cow; bottom line, I would rather a revenue model slowed the creation of new content than altered gameplay. Not sure how many games are that cosmetic revenue focused mind you, apart from Fornite, not even Black Desert had that many outfits.
    Path of Exile makes its money from cosmetics and storage, ESO went to town with them of course, ArcheAge had many, along with vehicles even, Runes of Magic, cosmetics, storage and mounts.

I recall buying and wearing cash shop cosmetics and a flying disk of some sort in EQ2, those being just the game's I've played with them.

I suspect many Asian made games like Bless and others have lots of cosmetics as well, but they often contain P2W items to level up your gear as well, I know Archeage did, same for ROM.

Been my experience once a game offers cosmetics in their store, the items one can get from the game often suffer, especially if the game prohibits trading or selling them with others.

Some games even have the nerve to make them character bound on the same account, or as with POE let you trade them between characters on the same account, but both could not wear it at the same time, you had to go through the hassle of unequipping it on one, log out, back in and equip it on the other.
    Scot