Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about upgrading my computer

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,759

So I bought a pre built computer off of IbuyPower a few years ago and the computer is still good enough to get me through the average game. However, with Cyberpunk 2077 and other such games coming out I know that a time will come when my PC won't be able to play games on Medium.

This Tax Return season I will have about $1,500 to upgrade my computer. I plan on changing out the Graphics card (as that is really the only thing holding me back) its a Nvidia 1060 3gb, I want to add some fans, and a SSD card as the only one I have currently is 50gb and is sitting in the C:

How much would you pay to upgrade before trading it in. I have local mom and pop shop that deals with building computers and selling them. They also take trade in's. They offered $500.

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

Comments

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,759
    The SSD is actually 100gb my bad but most of it is taken up by Windows and its various updates. Currently sitting at about 30gb right now

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,060
    ...I won't tell you what my computer is but you tell how and how much should I spent upgrading it.

• VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,290
    Please post your computer's specifications or we can't give you any meaningful advice.

Also if you're planning to trade it to another computer, post specs for that and how much that would cost you after the trade-in.
    Quizzical

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 3,167
    edited February 1
    Like Vrika said we need to know what you have right now, if you're not able or sure how you check that use Speccy free version. The summary will give you all the info we need.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,053
    edited February 1
    I have rules when I buy parts for my main desktop; Never spend more than $350 USD on a video card or a CPU, never spend more than $200 USD on storage.  And the reason is simple; computer parts keep getting better.  The fastest video cards this year will be 4th fastest next year and upper middle of the road in two years.  You are better off spending $350 every 2-3 years on a video card than buying a $1200 card every 4-5 years. other than convenience.

That said, I, and every other person that likes helping others with hardware, need to know what you have to see what is worth keeping or throwing out.  If the CPU and memory are good, I would look at 4 different video cards; 
    1 - An AMD 5600XT
    2 - an AMD 5700XT
    3 - A Nvidia RTX 2060
    4 - a Nvidoa RTX 2060 Super

All of these are very powerful and some of the higher end models are under $400.  They will still be good cards in 3 years when you are thinking about upgrading; a $400 card pruchased in 3 years will likely get you a card faster than the $1200 cards on the market now.  If you are going to run 144Hz or 4K, pick between the two with 8GB memory, the 5700XT and the 2060 Super.  Both are marginal for 4k, but you need to spend in the $1200 range for a really good 4K card.  All of these are extremely good at 1080p, and the 5700XT and the 2060 Super are very good at 1440p.

As far as storage, get a 1TB SSD.  You can get very good ones for under $125.  Then look at getting a 1TB HDD or SSHD (under $75 if you shop carefully) for a storage and overflow drive.

These two upgrades would go a long ways towards making a fast machine for the next few years, and leave plenty of cash for possibly upgrading your monitor or buying a new refrigerator!  

This is of course, assuming your CPU and memory are up to snuff...
    Robsolfultimateduck

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited February 1
    GladDog said:

As far as storage, get a 1TB SSD.  You can get very good ones for under $125.  Then look at getting a 1TB HDD or SSHD (under $75 if you shop carefully) for a storage and overflow drive.
    Before recommending any storage we'd need to know the system specs. Most importantly, are there any free slots for nvme drives.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,597
    GladDog said:
    I have rules when I buy parts for my main desktop; Never spend more than $350 USD on a video card or a CPU, never spend more than $200 USD on storage.  And the reason is simple; computer parts keep getting better.  The fastest video cards this year will be 4th fastest next year and upper middle of the road in two years.  You are better off spending $350 every 2-3 years on a video card than buying a $1200 card every 4-5 years. other than convenience.

Good rules to live by.  Spending 2-3k more on a "spare no expense" system, you'd end up with a machine that's 10-15% faster/better.

To add to that, as a general rule for gaming PC's, spend no LESS than $150 on a new CPU/video card.  You'll probably be better off keeping what you've got.  For storage, I generally get the best dollar to gig ratio.  I don't go past the point where it would cost more to get 1 drive than it does to buy 2 and get the same amount of storage.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,939
    With a $1500 budget to upgrade or replace a computer that is already a few years old, I'd usually lean toward replacement rather than upgrade.  The old computer probably still has some value if kept intact, but not if you pull a couple of parts out of it.  But it really depends on exactly what you have.  iBuyPower will usually tell you the exact parts for all or nearly all of their parts, so that should be easier to figure out what you have and potentially upgrade than if you had bought something from, say, Alienware or Best Buy.
    ultimateduck
    GladDog said:

That said, I, and every other person that likes helping others with hardware, need to know what you have to see what is worth keeping or throwing out.  If the CPU and memory are good, I would look at 4 different video cards; 
    1 - An AMD 5600XT
    2 - an AMD 5700XT
    3 - A Nvidia RTX 2060
    4 - a Nvidoa RTX 2060 Super

All of these are very powerful and some of the higher end models are under $400.  They will still be good cards in 3 years when you are thinking about upgrading; a $400 card pruchased in 3 years will likely get you a card faster than the $1200 cards on the market now.  If you are going to run 144Hz or 4K, pick between the two with 8GB memory, the 5700XT and the 2060 Super.  Both are marginal for 4k, but you need to spend in the $1200 range for a really good 4K card.  All of these are extremely good at 1080p, and the 5700XT and the 2060 Super are very good at 1440p.

These two upgrades would go a long ways towards making a fast machine for the next few years, and leave plenty of cash for possibly upgrading your monitor or buying a new refrigerator!  

This is of course, assuming your CPU and memory are up to snuff...
    My general rule on upgrading a video card is that you want to at least double your performance.  Doing small, incremental upgrades is a waste of money.  Most of the cards that you list won't get you there, and I'd look at something more like a Radeon RX 5700 XT or GeForce RTX 2070 as being enough to justify the upgrade.

For storage, there's no sense in getting a hard drive under 2 TB.  Platters in the modern drives are 2 TB, and you can't have half a platter.  Getting an old platter that is only 1 TB doesn't save much money.  If 1 TB is enough space, then going SSD-only is an easy call.  It's only if you need more space than that that you need to consider whether to buy more SSD space or go with an SSD+hard drive combination.

Don't get an SSHD.  Those are stupid products that should never have existed.  They're basically hard drives that charge a lot more for no good reason, and nothing like the SSDs that they pretend to be a cheaper alternative to.
    Asm0deuscentkincheebaRobsolf
    Arterius said:

I know that a time will come when my PC won't be able to play games on Medium.

I think that's the key issue right now.  If your current computer is good enough, then just keep it intact.  Maybe you want to add an SSD, but don't spend $1500 to upgrade it if it's largely good enough right now.  You can easily get a 500 GB SSD for about $60, or a 1 TB SSD for about $100.

Yes, there will come a time when you need to upgrade or replace the computer.  But that time could easily be a year or three away.  By the time that happens, you might be able to get a much larger upgrade for the same price as is available today.  Don't do preemptive upgrades unless the old computer is no longer reliable.
    Sorry went to bed shortly after posting that @Quizzical and everyone. Here is the specs

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
    Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz 34 °C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

RAM
    16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1330MHz (19-19-19-43)

Motherboard
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310-PLUS (LGA1151) 29 °C

Graphics
    LC50LBU591U (1920x1080@60Hz)
    OMEN by HP 25 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (MSI) 32 °C
    ForceWare version: 441.87
    SLI Disabled

Storage
    111GB Western Digital WDC WDS120G2G0A-00JH30 (SATA (SSD)) 36 °C
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA ) 29 °C

Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected

Audio
    Razer Surround Audio Controller

Anything else you need to know let me know

Those specs look like you have I7-8700 processor and 16 GB of RAM. That's still good enough that it doesn't need to be upgraded.

Is this your current SSD?
      https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-green-120gb/p/2WA-0006-002Y4?Description=WDS120G2G0A&cm_re=WDS120G2G0A-_-2WA-0006-002Y4-_-Product&quicklink=true

Your motherboard has one M.2 slot, and if you have the SSD I linked above that slot is still unused and you could buy extra M.2 SSD, for example this one would give you 1TB extra space and it's also faster than your current SSD.
      https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BhmFf7/western-digital-blue-sn550-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c

What kind of power supply do you have? If you have good enough power supply, then you can just add in extra SSD, switch to better GPU, and the rest of the computer would still be good enough.

Vrika said:
    Those specs look like you have I7-8700 processor and 16 GB of RAM. That's still good enough that it doesn't need to be upgraded.

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-green-120gb/p/2WA-0006-002Y4?Description=WDS120G2G0A&cm_re=WDS120G2G0A-_-2WA-0006-002Y4-_-Product&quicklink=true

Your motherboard has one M.2 slot, and if you have the SSD I linked above that slot is still unused and you could buy extra M.2 SSD, for example this one would give you 1TB extra space and it's also faster than your current SSD.
      https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BhmFf7/western-digital-blue-sn550-1-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c

What kind of power supply do you have? If you have good enough power supply, then you can just add in extra SSD, switch to better GPU, and the rest of the computer would still be good enough.
    How do I check Power supply?

For starters, if you're looking to upgrade a video card, you'd better know what power supply you've got.

You've got a low end motherboard.  It does have an M.2 slot, but it's PCI Express 3.0 x2, which isn't ideal.  Your CPU is probably a Core i7-8700.

That looks like the sort of OEM prebuilt that loads up on a bunch of cheap junk parts and is not intended to be upgraded later.  If you want to upgrade it, you'd better have a good look at the case and make sure that it can take common parts rather than needing all upgrades to be some weird, custom form factor that the OEM can charge you a huge price premium for because of vendor lock-in.

My advice would be to not try upgrading that computer other than adding another, larger SSD.  Leave it as is until you decide that it's not good enough anymore, then get an entirely new computer.  That could easily be a few years away, as it's not a bad computer other than the lack of SSD space.
    Arterius said:
    Vrika said:

Open up the case and read the label.  Don't just get the nominal wattage, but find the exact make and model.
    Quizzical said:
    Arterius said:
    Vrika said:

Open up the case and read the label.  Don't just get the nominal wattage, but find the exact make and model.
    Quizzical said:
    Arterius said:
    Vrika said:

Found it on bestbuy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-600w-atx-12v-eps-12v-80-plus-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=17&ref=212&loc=BM01&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4NTxBRDxARIsAHyp6gA8Bi_1CJWbRf5nflsDpb9M-RYfzuXQftFuznTOgYyL8gFWtPZ-HrgaApVoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

edited February 1
    Quizzical said:
    Arterius said:
    Vrika said:

Found it on bestbuy.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-600w-atx-12v-eps-12v-80-plus-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=17&ref=212&loc=BM01&gclid=Cj0KCQiA4NTxBRDxARIsAHyp6gA8Bi_1CJWbRf5nflsDpb9M-RYfzuXQftFuznTOgYyL8gFWtPZ-HrgaApVoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    That looks good enough that you can use most graphic cards. When you're buying graphic card you need to look that the recommended PSU isn't more than 600W, but only the top-end graphic cards exceed that.

When buying new graphic card you also need to make sure that it fits your case.

If you have Prime H310-Plus motherboard, this one:
      https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H310-PLUS/
    then it's ATX motherboard, which means it's a big motherboard, and you likely also have at least decent size case?

Can you find out what case do you have? If you can find info on what case you have, all cases have their own "Max GPU Length", that you must not exceed or the GPU won't fit inside the case.

If for some reason you can't find what case you have, it's also possible to open the case and use measure tape to determine how long GPU you can fit.

edited February 1
    Your system is pretty good, although that 3GB video card is going to be a real bottleneck soon.  You really only need two upgrades to be pretty much at the edge, and that is a video card and an SSD.  As Quizzical said, a 1TB SSD for $100 is quite possible.  Since you already have a near-1TB storage/overflow drive, that should be plenty.  I said $125 for an SSD since I don't know if you want one of the baseline SSDs or one that is a little better. 

As far as video cards, I would suggest either a RTX 2060 Super or a Radeon 5700 or a Radeon 5700 XT.  You won't need to go over $400, but you would be good to go for a while with an 8GB video card.  Between those I would probably go with one of these;

1 - RTX 2060 Super - https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-super-08g-p4-3062-kr/p/N82E16814487485?&quicklink=true
    2 - Radeon 5700 - https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-rx-57xl828d6/p/N82E16814150828?&quicklink=true
    3 - Radeon 5700 XT - https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gv-r57xtgaming-oc-8gd/p/N82E16814932208?&quicklink=true

The first two will be fine with your 600W power supply.  The last one recommends a 650W PSU, so you would need to upgrade your power supply.

This seems to be a very good 1TB SSD for $116, 155 reviews and still has 5 stars.   https://www.newegg.com/crucial-p1-1tb/p/N82E16820156199?&quicklink=true
    Since this is quite a bit bigger than your primary drive right now, you can get software for free that will move your primary drive to the larger, faster and more efficient 1TB SSD.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,526
    edited February 1
    Kind of wondering how your memory is that slow(19-19-19-43), at any rate though a 1060 video card isn't that bad.  Had you gotten the 6 gb version as opposed to the 3 you might not be even considering upgrading.  That said, I'd wait.  The new cards by nvidia will push all the price points downward and you will be able to get a better card for less money.  I also agree with the person above to not get a card lower than a 2070 if you just HAVE to do it now because you won't notice the difference.  The 3060 will be better than a 2070.

Oh, and if your cards are running as cool as you say, and you are just below what you want, overclocking might be a viable solution. 
    centkin said:
    Kind of wondering how your memory is that slow, at any rate though a 1060 video card isn't that bad.  Had you gotten the 6 gb version as opposed to the 3 you might not be even considering upgrading.  That said, I'd wait.  The new cards by nvidia will push all the price points downward and you will be able to get a better card for less money.  I also agree with the person above to not get a card lower than a 2070 if you just HAVE to do it now because you won't notice the difference.  The 3060 will be better than a 2070.
    Some programs list the true clock speed, while others list the data rate per bit of bus width.  DDR4 SDRAM with a true clock speed of 1333 MHz at double data rate (that's what DDR stands for) can transfer 2666 Gbps per bit of bus width.

Hardware vendors nearly always list whatever the largest number is, but independent programs written by others commonly list the true clock speed.
    GladDog said:

1 - RTX 2060 Super - https://www.newegg.com/evga-geforce-rtx-2060-super-08g-p4-3062-kr/p/N82E16814487485?&quicklink=true
    2 - Radeon 5700 - https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-rx-57xl828d6/p/N82E16814150828?&quicklink=true
    3 - Radeon 5700 XT - https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-5700-xt-gv-r57xtgaming-oc-8gd/p/N82E16814932208?&quicklink=true

The first two will be fine with your 600W power supply.  The last one recommends a 650W PSU, so you would need to upgrade your power supply.
    Where did you read that power limit for last one?

For me newegg.com says "System PSU Limitation: 600W"

edited February 2
    Tom's Hardware.

***EDIT*** I did a bad.  I looked at a GENERAL 5700XT review on Tom's Hardware, not the PSU requirement for that specific card.  So that 600W PSU in the OPs computer should work with all three cards.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,032
    Save your money until the game actually releases. Preferably until after the first major performance-fixing patch releases.

New hardware may be out by then, prices may drop, and you can see in benchmarks if the game has any issues with particular hardware.

Never upgrade in anticipation for a new game- always wait until after release.
  • JulianSpringerJulianSpringer Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited July 3
    I have an old computer too, so based on my experience I want to say, that if you're still using your old PC, you can try to download a registry cleaner. This application improves PC performance and deletes unnecessary files. Here you can find more information about them: https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-registry-cleaner-tools/ There are a lot of cleaners, their advantages, features and how much do they cost, don't worry, some of them are free to download.
    Post edited by JulianSpringer on