Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we please have a good sci-fi mmorpg?

13»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,982
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nilden said:
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:
    CDProject is one of the very, very few companies I would be excited about making an MMO.

Activision, Electronic Arts, Perfect World, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Tencent, Gamingo, Daybreak, Take 2 etc etc etc... I don't see anything good coming from any of these scumbag corporations. They care more about money than human rights, employees, working conditions, or making a good game.

Oh.... well shit.

Well, essentially no company is perfect.

My current company is the best company I've ever worked for but some of the, in my opinion, bonehead ideas that have been mandated just make life ridiculous.

As far as "crunch," again, my current company gives a LOT more time off than most American companies and touts work/life balance as being a core pillar of our experience but the higher level people work all the time. Holiday? They are checking e-mails and making decisions.

I've never seen a company where, if you want to rise higher and higher, you didn't become a "company man."

Should companies always be there for their employees and should everyone be valued and given the tools they need and "taken care of?" Sure!

But it's not going to be perfect as people aren't perfect, we get egos, we get people who easily want to give their lives to their "mission" and then others who just want to do their 8 hours.

I'll tell you this, I've never seen anything amazing done where someone just gives their 8 hours and goes home.

Maybe the time to create something could be lengthened so we can have more 8 hour days but longer development time.

But maybe that's not financially sustainable. The answer of course is "better management/time management" but it seems that with every developer that is easier said than done.

Well said!

Also, any gamer who "wants that new game NOW!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!" has no room to complain about "crunchtime", in my opinion. They are the cause of it, ie: deadlines.
    No game ever was forced out the door too early because gamers wanted it now, as you put it.

Burn rates and budgets are real in most projects without endless funding, i.e. SC, so when the money runs out, so does Management's patience and out the door it goes, ready or not.

Eight hour days are a nice idea, but from a management perspective, (often mistaken IMO) crunch time is "free" as most firms at least here in the US don't pay employees for it, and is often their only tool used to try and make up for schedule slippages, which frequently were self made hells in the first place.

OG_ZorvanMendelAlBQuirky

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon