Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Roadmap Roundup Sees Several Cards Move to Polishing

1235»

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited June 2020
    lahnmir said:
    Sigh, the points were only there to illustrate the message. But you immediately tackling them does show my issue, no nuance, no reflection, just defending. I am going to stop here though because its a bit like talking to a wall.
    Since I've been explaining the same points over and over for years so I know how you feel :D

All good though.

In my reply to Kyleran, just above my reply to you, I quoted the article section by section. Go read it.
    I've read that article when it came out, it's a transcription of a oral interview.

They refer to hundreds of thousands of players sharing the same universe, not instance. Which in the context of this talk is pertinent since they are using Server Meshing (that could be said instance or zones meshing) to create one huge seamless playable area for ALL the players.

They've talked about their intentions in detail several time both on community forums and videos: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/how-is-server-meshing-possible/2110241 

Like I've said, it's tech that's being actively worked on, and just like the other tech that was once in development for a long time and is now functional in the alpha build, it will be ready when it's ready.

• Beholder2kBeholder2k Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Babuinix said:
    In my reply to Kyleran, just above my reply to you, I quoted the article section by section. Go read it.
    I've read that article when it came out, it's a transcription of a oral interview.

They refer to hundreds of thousands of players sharing the same universe, not instance. Which in the context of this talk is pertinent since they are using Server Meshing (that could be said instance or zones meshing) to create one huge seamless playable area for ALL the players.

They've talked about their intentions in detail several time both on community forums and videos: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/how-is-server-meshing-possible/2110241 

Like I've said, it's tech that's being actively worked on, and just like the other tech that was once in development for a long time and is now functional in the alpha build, it will be ready when it's ready.

You read that artice when it came out yet you had to ask me where the "hundreds of thousands of players" came from. Got it.

Yes, yes, just like Elevator-Tech, Eat-Through-Helmet-Tech, AI-T-Posing-Tech, Wind-Make-Big-Ship-Go-Woosh-Tech ...
    edited June 2020
    Their awesome engine combined with their revolutionary server tech should have no problem then with hundreds of thousands of players per instance displayed in never seen before high-fidelity, right? RIGHT? Oh, still only 50 players  after all this time. 
    Back to hoping for future patches then i guess ...

The original quote only has "Hundreds of thousands of players".

The "per instance" was added, wrongly, by you.

Numbers about Instance numbers are spoken about but in the context of server meshing and it's number fluctuates around the hundreds, not hundreds of thousands, that's mentioned related to the total number across the whole universe aka zone of play that is comprised of many zones/instances dynamically generated and "stiched" toguether.
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    The established number of backers seems to be 1.2 millions. According to you these numbers grow steadily (no need to discuss this, I believe you). 

What do you think will happen on launch day when all/most of the backers want to play the BDSSE and clearly don't fit into one of the "hundreds of thousands of players" instance/universe? Will they open up a new instance/universe, or will the BDSSE have the players wait in a queu? Doesn't sound very revolutionary if they go with a queu. Hence me posting "per instance".

I used the word instance in the same way as Erin Roberts did. I already stated in this thread that I used it the same way Roberts did. Additionally I explained it in my reply to Kyleran. Roberts used instance meaning "universe" and room meaning location. So stop arguing as if I meant location with instance. All your (and my) lengthy blabbering could have been avoided had you accepted when I clarified what I meant. 

You don't argue to have a discussion or to find "the truth". You argue to push the narrative that all is good and that the critics are alway wrong. 

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited June 2020
    Erillion said:
    lahnmir said:
    I joined relatively late so I have no clue how the client performed 3+ years back. For the last year or so I have been pretty impressed with performance, I run it on max relatively smooth on an 1070 8gb. I do use an SSD and 32gb of RAM.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

If you compare it with that

do you get comparable values for your rig type ?

I got some performance increases with tweaking/optimizing my system (there are several guides out there)  and the SSD was by far the biggest jump in performance.

Have fun

Sorry, I forgot to reply to your post.

I checked my performance over the last 24 hours on Ultra at 1920/1080 and the telemetry score is slightly lower than my average performance. Two things to take into account: 1. I have an overclocked system which the graph doesn't measure 2. I was only hanging around in New Babbage taking the subway several times, relatively graphical intensive compared to flying around. This is without any tweaking/optimising and then I get an average of around 35-40 FPS in New Babbage on the highest settings, perfectly acceptable for me. Loading times are well below the average, around 87 seconds to get into the game.

Two things that did catch my eye looking at the tool. First, the requirements have been increasing with each patch, I do notice this in game as well, 3.7 was smoother for me. Not problematic by itself but I do wonder where we'll end up when we hit stuff like 4.XX. Secondly, loading times have increased dramatically over the last few patches, I do hope they will tackle that.

Fun fact, the little back and forth here made me realise I hadn't been playing since just before version 3.8 and I am very pleasantly surprised by 3.9. It has come a long way, it still has a long way to go.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Post edited by lahnmir on
    Erillion
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cpstestcpstest Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    CPS test represents the Click Per Second test. It tends to be a 5-second basic test. You have to click whatever number occasions as could be allowed before time's done. Don't hesitate to attempt the same number of times as you need. Make a point to get your best score (CPS - Click Per Second). As indicated by our large information, the normal CPS is 6.25, and the world record was said to 14.1 as per Google. Individuals may get a somewhat higher score on versatile/tablet than a work area. Would you be able to beat this? 

If it's not too much trouble don't hesitate to share this test with your companions, and challenge them! 

Note: You may attempt this test the same number of times as you like. The most noteworthy CPS result speaks to your real CPS. There is an Attempt Again button for you after each endeavor.
    The established number of backers seems to be 1.2 millions. According to you these numbers grow steadily (no need to discuss this, I believe you). 

What do you think will happen on launch day when all/most of the backers want to play the BDSSE and clearly don't fit into one of the "hundreds of thousands of players" instance/universe? Will they open up a new instance/universe, or will the BDSSE have the players wait in a queu? Doesn't sound very revolutionary if they go with a queu. Hence me posting "per instance".

I used the word instance in the same way as Erin Roberts did. I already stated in this thread that I used it the same way Roberts did. Additionally I explained it in my reply to Kyleran. Roberts used instance meaning "universe" and room meaning location. So stop arguing as if I meant location with instance. All your (and my) lengthy blabbering could have been avoided had you accepted when I clarified what I meant. 

You don't argue to have a discussion or to find "the truth". You argue to push the narrative that all is good and that the critics are alway wrong. 

On opening day I assume it will be chaotic like any hyped mmo opening. Probably huge load on servers. We have NewWorld coming up that uses the same Amazon infrastructure so it will be curious to watch how it will hold.

Star Citizen as a space game has the benefit of having...well a lot of space. I'd imagine they can put the option to spawn in whatever outter space station if/when the main city hubs get too crowded.

The quote you used when "hundreds of thousands of players" is mentioned is not related to an instance, that's why that phrase doesn't have the word instace in it. You added it to your quotation for whatever reason.
    Beholder2k
    Which quote are you referring to? 
  • PatrickWindich3PatrickWindich3 Newbie CommonPosts: 4
     it’s interesting here
    Erillion
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
     it’s interesting here

Slow day in a Star Citizen thread.

There have been more ... interesting .... days.

As you will recognize from quite a few permabanned red names in older threads in the Star Citizen sub-forum here on this website ...

Have fun
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Erillion said:
     it’s interesting here

As you will recognize from quite a few permabanned red names in older threads in the Star Citizen sub-forum here on this website ...

Have fun
    You're talking to a spam bot.
    Which quote are you referring to? 
    Beholder2k said:
    Their awesome engine combined with their revolutionary server tech should have no problem then with hundreds of thousands of players per instance displayed in never seen before high-fidelity, right? RIGHT?
    Babuinix, that was not a quote that was me saying that for the reasons explained above. 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Erillion said:
     it’s interesting here

Have fun
    You're talking to a spam bot.

The spam bot was not the intended audience ;-)

And he IS a better audience than some posters i have seen over the years ....

Have fun
    Babuinix, that was not a quote that was me wrongly  saying that for the reasons explained above. 
    We got it, no harm done. Networking tech is being worked on and it will be ready when it's ready.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2020
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix, that was not a quote that was me wrongly  saying that for the reasons explained above. 
    We got it, no harm done. Networking tech is being worked on and it will be ready when it's ready.

Unless of course, it's never ready, not outside the realm of possibility, wouldn't be the first team to fail to solve this problem.

Which of course, the longer it drags on, the more probable this outcome will occur.

Mendel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited July 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:

Unless of course, it's never ready, not outside the realm of possibility, wouldn't be the first team to fail to solve this problem.

Which of course, the longer it drags on, the more probable this outcome will occur.

Exactly.  At this point the only logical assumption to make is that they may never solve the biggest issues.  In which case they will have to massively scale back on the promises they made to justify the long development cycle.

Some of their most ardent supporters will still be defending them ten years from now.  So arguing with them is truly pointless.

I remember David Brevik explaining how you can't simply plan to fix a non optimal engine in the final phase.  It probably applies to network code as well.  POE sort of fixed it after years of a shitty design.  But even they still have a long way to go.
    Mendel
    Kyleran said:
    Babuinix said:

The "It's ready when it's ready" already includes that stage of adapting to technical roadblocks. That's why plan B's exist for.