Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Dev Talks Combat, Limited-Action Sets In New Interview

13»

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    It's just words @Nanfoodle. Every single one of these crowdfund mmo's every once in a while throws a chew toy to their fans then the fans entertain themselves for a while with whatever information was provided until the next chew toy is tossed out. That is the entire game right there a imagination game being played by good hearted hopeful suckers for years and years. If everyone is now discussing hotbars next it will be weather or terrain or character development or bag space take your pick. Every single one of these scammers jumps between tech info, to quality of life to player feedback it's a never ending loop. Look at CF where's that beta we were supposed to get? A game being developed on unity + their engine that was licensed out that was mostly playable in 2017-2018 and it's now almost 2021...
    Nanfoodle
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Brainy said:
    Limited action bars = less skill = less complexity = boring

All I see is bad news coming from this game.  I wish I could get my money back, this is turning out to be a subpar game if it ever releases.
    Who ever complains about having too many spells?  Really?

Do they complain about 26 letters in the alphabet also?  Wonder how complex language would be with only access to 8 letters.
    You are using this analogy incorrectly.

Do all words use every letter of the alphabet?

No, they are comprised of a smaller subset in a variety of combinations, just like the skills are in Pantheon.

You can thank me later.
    achesomaitchmon

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    I remember buying my child one of the toys that you put a square peg, star, circle into a hole on a round ball.  That had somewhere between 10-12 different shapes.  That's more actions then this game is allowing.  They are essentially creating a game that is less complicated than 3 year old toys.

The only people I can see wanting 8 or less actions to where the game requires less skill is possible controller players that want to make it a 1 button mash-fest.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited June 2020
    Brainy said:
    I remember buying my child one of the toys that you put a square peg, star, circle into a hole on a round ball.  That had somewhere between 10-12 different shapes.  That's more actions then this game is allowing.  They are essentially creating a game that is less complicated than 3 year old toys.

The only people I can see wanting 8 or less actions to where the game requires less skill is possible controller players that want to make it a 1 button mash-fest.

Assuming your child only has 2 hands, then he or she could only hold 1-2 pieces at a time. So Pantheon lets you hold 4-8x as many actions as your 3 year old toy at any given time, not even taking into account any of the other hotbar slots they've mentioned.

Pantheon will have 20-30 unique base actions to choose from per class (not counting the hard-to-unlock abilities). So that is at least double the shapes as your 3 year old toy, per class. Overall, with 14 unique classes, that's 28x the number of shapes as your 3 year old toy.

So yeah, totally less complicated **eye roll**

[Deleted User]
    --------------------------------------------
    BruceYee said:
    It's just words @Nanfoodle. Every single one of these crowdfund mmo's every once in a while throws a chew toy to their fans then the fans entertain themselves for a while with whatever information was provided until the next chew toy is tossed out. That is the entire game right there a imagination game being played by good hearted hopeful suckers for years and years. If everyone is now discussing hotbars next it will be weather or terrain or character development or bag space take your pick. Every single one of these scammers jumps between tech info, to quality of life to player feedback it's a never ending loop. Look at CF where's that beta we were supposed to get? A game being developed on unity + their engine that was licensed out that was mostly playable in 2017-2018 and it's now almost 2021...
    Yes I actually can see what you are saying here. 
    I mean in my opinion I doubt there was big demand to put in limited actions to 8.  Yet now these devs are wasting precious time supposedly implementing and just discussing, responding etc... to this change.
    For what purpose?  Its just a delay tactic, to make people think they are doing something.  Gives a chance for their fanboys to talk and defend their actions, until another stupid idea and they slowly lose most of their fanbase, then eventually they just kill the game because barely anyone is even following it because it takes 12 years to develop because they are constantly talking about stupid unnecessary design decisions.

My question is, did these devs ever even intend to release a game and just get bogged down into mindless decisions, or was it a scam from the start.
    Brainy said:

Assuming your child only has 2 hands, then he or she could only hold 1-2 pieces at a time. So Pantheon lets you hold 4-8x as many actions as your 3 year old toy at any given time, not even taking into account any of the other hotbar slots they've mentioned.

Pantheon will have 20-30 unique base actions to choose from per class (not counting the hard-to-unlock abilities). So that is at least double the shapes as your 3 year old toy, per class. Overall, with 14 unique classes, that's 28x the number of shapes as your 3 year old toy.

So yeah, totally less complicated **eye roll**

LOL well, first, you dont need to hold any of the pieces, you can put them on the ground in front of you until you are ready to perform an action.  So there is 1 of 10 unique actions to solve each given problem.  Which is more than pantheon is offering.

Infinite actions in your spellbook is irrelevant if you cant use them.  8 actions is all that is allowed, since they said you cant change spells in combat.  Do you think they are going to have you switch out for each encounter?   Does that sound like fun, playing hotbar organizer all day?  I doubt that, so we are back to 8 standard all around spells that everyone will be using.  What fun!

Now considering, I would expect 4-5 of these spells are going to be multiple purpose every encounter type spells, with a few long cooldown situational spells.  That leaves 1 or ZERO situational spells available you can put on your bar.  So think about it!  The 3yr old toy REQUIRES 10 separate solutions to beat it, this game will have 0-2 UNIQUE solutions required to beat it.  So the toy is more complicated.  GG pantheon.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited June 2020
    Brainy said:

Do you think they are going to have you switch out for each encounter?

You probably won't have to switch for every encounter. But when you encounter a named mob or switch zones / sections of a zone, you (or someone in your group) will probably have to switch abilities.

Brainy said:

Does that sound like fun, playing hotbar organizer all day? 
    They've already announced that they are creating ways to save abilities sets and it will be quick and easy to switch between different loadouts.
    Brainy said:

Now considering, I would expect 4-5 of these spells are going to be multiple purpose every encounter type spells, with a few long cooldown situational spells.  That leaves 1 or ZERO situational spells available you can put on your bar. 
    You're oversimplifying.

I assume you'll need to switch abilities based on the NPC type you're fighting. Your water nukes won't be very effective against water elementals. Your undead attacks won't work on human NPCs.

Certain enemies may be immune to snare, so then you have to load a stun. You might be fighting enemies that can complete heal, so you need to fear them when they start casting. Not to mention all of the NPC dispositions and how you will have to use abilities to counter those.

Then there is your play style. As a ranger maybe you feel like melee, so you load your melee abilities specific to the enemies you're fighting. Then later, you feel like fighting ranged. Or as an enchanter, perhaps you're feeling in the mood to charm an NPC pet, so you load those abilities. Later, you get tired of your charm breaking, so you switch to a crowd control ability set.

Brainy said:

What fun!
    Did you ever play EQ1? If you haven't, it might be difficult to imagine how that game limited you to 8 spells at a time, yet still made combat fun and challenging.

Like EQ1, I imagine some classes will be less challenging to play than others. But that's the beauty of it, you get to choose the class with the playstyle you like best.

Amathe
    --------------------------------------------
    edited June 2020
    I assume you'll need to switch abilities based on the NPC type you're fighting. Your water nukes won't be very effective against water elementals. Your undead attacks won't work on human NPCs.

Certain enemies may be immune to snare, so then you have to load a stun. You might be fighting enemies that can complete heal, so you need to fear them when they start casting. Not to mention all of the NPC dispositions and how you will have to use abilities to counter those.

So lets play this out,  you go into dungeon first time, you have water spells equipped and some other all around damage type loaded.  You encounter "water elementals".

A) you are going wipe because you dont have the dps to kill it, do to your water spells being useless.  You could have reacted and changed tactics but your spells are locked behind a UI wall that wont let you use them, so your ability to react is completely wasted.

B.) you dont even need your best spells to kill it, because the boss is so weak it can be burned down with any dps spells.  Thereby making any special skills unnecessary and the mechanic is completely wasted.  Why even bother switching out spells at all, because the all around dps spells are good enough.

C) your party beats this boss down without your dps because the bosses are not challenging at all.

I wonder which its going to be, I predict B/C, easy mode, autopilot.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Brainy said:

So lets play this out,  you go into dungeon first time, you have water spells equipped and some other all around damage type loaded.  You encounter "water elementals".

A) you are going wipe because you dont have the dps to kill it, do to your water spells being useless.  You could have reacted and changed tactics but your spells are locked behind a UI wall that wont let you use them, so your ability to react is completely wasted.

B.) you dont even need your best spells to kill it, because the boss is so weak it can be burned down with any dps spells.  Thereby making any special skills unnecessary and the mechanic is completely wasted.  Why even bother switching out spells at all, because the all around dps spells are good enough.

C) your party beats this boss down without your dps because the bosses are not challenging at all.

What are you, a noob or something?

;)

Everyone will have watched the run on YouTube (recorded during the beta) a half a dozen times or so before going in that "first" time.

There will be no surprises...
    Brainy

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Dieing as you learn new content is part of the challenge.  
    achesomaNanfoodle

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    For those that missed it, not following Pantheon, or didn't bother watching the video.

Their will be 8 action abilities and 6 utility abilities for total of 14 abilities. In addition, pets will have their own action bars. There is also a hotbar for consumables. 

Here is an example from the dev stream that showed off mastery system with the Shaman class.

"Shaman Action Abilities: Mantle line (HoT), Hand line (DH), Echo line (group HoT), Hurry the Past, Shackle line (Str/Sta debuff), Animus DoT line, Fang line (Animus DD), Fire DoT line, Water DoT line, Slow line, Tidal Wave, Erosion line (AC debuff), Headwinds

Shaman Utility Abilities: Gate of Forgotten Eras, Grip line (Str/Stam buff), Reptilian line (Poison/Chemical resist buff), Fireclaw line (Fire/Nature resist buff), Skymane line (Melee Haste buff), Interlocking Stones (AC buff), Wisdom buff line, Cleansing Flame, Walk the Ages, Wind Strider (Movement speed buff)"

There is also the disposition system which adds a whole other layer of complexity as to which load-out of spells players will use. You typically won't "set it and forget it" when choosing your abilities. Changing out abilities to adapt will be a thing.

The list of possible Dispositions as follows:
    • Cunning
    • Deranged
    • Predatory
    • Pyrophobic
    • Alarmist
    • Sniper
    • Bloodthirsty
    • Acrobatic
    • Truesight
    • Avenging
    • Playful
    • Mastermind

To share a few of the more basic examples of Dispositions, if you were about to attack a group of Lizardmen in a dungeon, you might see "A Deranged Lizardman” and “A Cunning Lizardman” in it. As a discerning player, over time you've learned:

A "Deranged" Lizardman

• Is immune to Stun, Mesmerize, and other disorienting effects.

• Will attempt to flee at unpredictable times and in erratic ways

A "Cunning" Lizardman

• Can see through Stealth.

• Cannot be attacked from behind or pick-pocketed.

• Is vulnerable to ranged attacks.

https://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2019_march_behind_the_design/

KyleranAmatheBabuinix
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    This reminds me of Guild wars 1 which ended up being a great game critically acclaimed for the amount of strategy it required to build your skillet and hotbar.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

edited June 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Brainy said:

What are you, a noob or something?

;)

Everyone will have watched the run on YouTube (recorded during the beta) a half a dozen times or so before going in that "first" time.

There will be no surprises...
    Think you have proven my point actually.  If this is beatable with 8 random spells, they are thinking it will be harder because people wont have the load-out of the correct skills equipped.  So because there wont be surprises, imagine how much easier it will be with the correct skills equipped? 

Where is the repeatability?  That is exactly the point I was trying to make.  Saying loading skills prior to battle is some difficult strategy is ridiculous because everyone will know the standard build for each battle already.
    achesoma said:
    For those that missed it, not following Pantheon, or didn't bother watching the video.

Their will be 8 action abilities and 6 utility abilities for total of 14 abilities. In addition, pets will have their own action bars. There is also a hotbar for consumables. 

The 6 utility abilities are buffs, supposed to be 45 min timers right?  So set them and forget them abilities.  Nothing to do with combat.  You shouldn't be doing 45 min buffs in combat anyhow.

So you are back to 8 combat actions.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    One of the things I enjoy about classic WoW is the plethora of usable items alongside the large amount of skills.

Some classes had far more skills than others (Warrior with stances, Druid with forms), and some had less (Mages generally kept to the skills they talented for, for example).

That said, 14 skill slots is a pretty substantial amount of slots.  That leaves a lot of room for situational skills outside of a standard rotation.  So long as consumables aren't handled anything like the circle menu in ESO.  Those types of "quick-menu" UIs are atrocious imo.
    Sovrath

Brainy said:
    achesoma said:

The 6 utility abilities are buffs, supposed to be 45 min timers right?  So set them and forget them abilities.  Nothing to do with combat.  You shouldn't be doing 45 min buffs in combat anyhow.

So you are back to 8 combat actions.

No, not just buffs. Also, purges/cleanses, escapes, and various other spells.

For example of a Shaman utility:

Walk the Ages

Mark a moment in time, leaving an imprint of your spirit where you are currently standing for X duration. When you activate Walk the Ages again, you will instantly return to this location. You cannot cross zone lines with this ability.

From Joppa: 

"Action abilities innately modify hate on a target, Utility abilities do not."

Long term buffs within groups are permanent until a) you die, b) you remove it from your utility hotbar, or c) leave group. "Drive-by" buffs (someone not in your group) lasts 20 minutes. There are also powerful, short term buffs that need to be reactivated.

Watch the video, Joppa goes into detail with all of this stuff.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Brainy said:

Just like in EQ1, first time doing an encounter, you don't know what your gonna face but the 30-60 min you spent with your team getting to this boss. You will know their play style and load outs. So even if you are not optimal. Skill can still rule here. This didn't make EQ1 easy and that will be the same with Pantheon. That's the fun of this style of game. You will learn your role. You will play with people who will learn their role. Most MMOs don't do that because you learn to play solo for 90% of the content and then chucked in the deep end of grouping. This will be second nature in Pantheon. 
    achesomaWellspring
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    achesoma said:
    <snippage>
    There is also the disposition system which adds a whole other layer of complexity as to which load-out of spells players will use. You typically won't "set it and forget it" when choosing your abilities. Changing out abilities to adapt will be a thing.
    • Cunning
    • Deranged
    • Predatory
    • Pyrophobic
    • Alarmist
    • Sniper
    • Bloodthirsty
    • Acrobatic
    • Truesight
    • Avenging
    • Playful
    • Mastermind

To share a few of the more basic examples of Dispositions, if you were about to attack a group of Lizardmen in a dungeon, you might see "A Deranged Lizardman” and “A Cunning Lizardman” in it. As a discerning player, over time you've learned:

A "Deranged" Lizardman

A "Cunning" Lizardman

So, the Disposition System will tell a mob's abilities allowing the player to swap out their spells/abilities?  I can see that it would reduce the chance of going into a fight with Mezzes and Stuns loaded and the mob being immune to both.  In EQ1, players learned by experience; in Pantheon, the info is encoded into the target's name.  *sigh*  So, the Disposition System is nothing more than a naming convention or a developer playing semantics?

Also, if spell/ability swaps are quick and convenient, doesn't that reduce the effect of the player's decision for their setup?  A shortcut only artificially extends the choices in an arbitrary restriction.  So, why a limit of 8 on a hotbar, as opposed to 6 or 20?  Changing a complete spell/ability list in under 5 seconds isn't anything compared to the original EQ spell memorization system.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    achesoma said:
    <snippage>
    • Cunning
    • Deranged
    • Predatory
    • Pyrophobic
    • Alarmist
    • Sniper
    • Bloodthirsty
    • Acrobatic
    • Truesight
    • Avenging
    • Playful
    • Mastermind

A "Deranged" Lizardman

A "Cunning" Lizardman

So, the Disposition System will tell a mob's abilities allowing the player to swap out their spells/abilities?  I can see that it would reduce the chance of going into a fight with Mezzes and Stuns loaded and the mob being immune to both.  In EQ1, players learned by experience; in Pantheon, the info is encoded into the target's name.  *sigh*  So, the Disposition System is nothing more than a naming convention or a developer playing semantics?
      Yes, some will have adjective description but not entirely. Still, that's 12 dispositions players will have to be familiar with. Most players won't be able to memorize all those without a cheat sheet.

"though there will be Dispositions only identifiable through the Perception system and rare, vision-altering Artifacts."

This gives Keepers value in a group environment which is a good thing.

Wellspring
    Here’s a summary video for those that don’t want to watch whole video. 

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Give me a game with enough hot bars to fit 50 different abilities on them and I will forget about and not use 40 of them.
    That would be EQ2!
    Wellspring