Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyberpunk 2077 25 minute stream from today with new game play videos

2»

Comments

• phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    This is one of the very few developers I trust to release a proper product, so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this title.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited June 2020
    Mendel said:
    <snipped an interesting exchange for brevity>
    I can understand for a setting when he starts the description of the rape of children and women as an indication of the type of individuals and world we are experiencing. I started having a problem when it was not once or twice but more than that and the details he kept taking pains to write made me realise he was taking pleasure in the writing of these scenes. At that point I actually checked out the internet and whether I was imagining it as a woman myself and being too sensitive. I wasn't the only one who noticed it.

On the other hand Mark Lawrence's Prince of Thorns in the Broken Empire series is a rapist and this is your protagonist Jorg Ancrath and the writer doesn't give a lot of detail of the rapes and yes plural by the same character. The reason is he is setting up the character and not dwelling on the rapes. This writer I have no problem with although I despised his characters I didn't stop reading about them because I wanted to see where the character went. I am not talking about redemption I am talking about character development.

There is a difference between these two writers.

Violence for the sake of violence isn't acceptable and shouldn't be in books, games or whatever media where you're trying to tell a story. Not talking about shooters and other types of games but RPGs in particular. I can  however totally get behind what CD Projekt Red is trying to do here. In telling a story like this in a world that is so rife with violence there will be inevitably a need to delve into it. I am able to accept that and understand that it will make the game better.

I agreed with this because I don't really need graphic details and blood over everything.  Authors have a long standing habit of using details where an impression works just as well.  This leads to confusing violence as conflict, by both creators and consumers.  Game developers tend to do the same.  Why?  Because violence is easier to portray with graphical images.

When was the last game that asked the player to make a moral decision, or become emotional?  These are also forms of conflict, but much harder to visualize on a screen.

Vampyr, Pathologic come to mind.

Pathologic probably does the better job of the two.

Deus Ex series has some of those moments, too.  Moments where "doing the most good for the most people" in that moment may actually result in far larger harm in the future.  Things that aren't cut and dry.

• ShaniaRebornShaniaReborn Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Ok, broke down and watched the video in question.  I've heard of the game, but never followed it.  Decided to check out the video because of all the hype.  It looks like GTA to me.  After watching the video, I can honestly say I'm not a fan of GTA and I am no a fan of this game either.  I won't be playing this one.
    AlBQuirky
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2020
    I don't understand all of the uproar over first person. I don't see complaints about of other first person shooters being first person.

Was this game originally announced as a third person game and then they switched it or something?
    They said that it was going to be both fpp and tpp and then they dropped tpp claiming that because of the verticality of the gameplay tpp wouldnt work and then forced fpp only citing it was the only immersive way.

I am curious, has there been any gameplay shown so far that proves their claim, anything that looks like it wouldn't work in TPP?
    AlBQuirky
    edited June 2020
    Seems they are even at war with tpp in cutscenes too.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Watched the video, I have to say Cyberpunk is shaping up to be an excellent game for it's intended audience. I really like the look of the world they've built, to me it seems like they've taken the recent Deus Ex games, and made them bigger, faster paced and a bit more humourous (i got annoyed with how super serious deus ex was).

For me though, its unlikely I'll be playing this (well, until it's discounted to under £10).

Not sure when it was, but I read an interview with one of the higher ups at CDPR about a year ago where he said (paraphrasing) "here at CDPR, the story always comes first. we then design all our gameplay to support that story"

That attitude is the opposite of what I want from a dev, as I dislike stories in my games. That attitude also showed in the witcher games, which just had really janky gameplay. I could appreciate the world building and stuff, but longest I managed to last was ~12 hours before having to quit due to mediocre gameplay.

That's pure personal preference though. I know lots of you love a good story and that its a high motivation for many gamers. Certainly shows in sales figures for the witcher games, clearly there is a good market for these types of games and I wish CDPR the best of luck.
    AlBQuirky
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Watched the video, I have to say Cyberpunk is shaping up to be an excellent game for it's intended audience. I really like the look of the world they've built, to me it seems like they've taken the recent Deus Ex games, and made them bigger, faster paced and a bit more humourous (i got annoyed with how super serious deus ex was).

For me though, its unlikely I'll be playing this (well, until it's discounted to under £10).

Not sure when it was, but I read an interview with one of the higher ups at CDPR about a year ago where he said (paraphrasing) "here at CDPR, the story always comes first. we then design all our gameplay to support that story"

That attitude is the opposite of what I want from a dev, as I dislike stories in my games. That attitude also showed in the witcher games, which just had really janky gameplay. I could appreciate the world building and stuff, but longest I managed to last was ~12 hours before having to quit due to mediocre gameplay.

That's pure personal preference though. I know lots of you love a good story and that its a high motivation for many gamers. Certainly shows in sales figures for the witcher games, clearly there is a good market for these types of games and I wish CDPR the best of luck.

kinda hard to be humorous when you are on mission afer mission after someone tried to kill you in a terror attack, twice, I did find the tone right for the whole situation
    AlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I'm the opposite of you. I've played many games with good mechanics and RPG systems but if they don't have a good story underneath, I get bored with them.

I am much more forgiving of mediocre combat and systems than a mediocre story. I read a lot - probably more than I game if I were to count the hours. I want a story in the games I play that is at least as good as the ones in the books I enjoy.
    Asm0deusAlBQuirkyNyghthowler[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    remsleep said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    I'm doing something against my better judgement. I am pre-ordering this game after seeing that. It looks like a game I want to play and I like how they view the RPG experience as developers/gamers.

Arterius said:
    remsleep said:
    I have one question - when they show the car driving through the streets @24:10 - all those buildings and the city - is that all open world, as in - can we go in and explore inside all those buildings etc...

or is like 99% of it locked and not accessible and the player is only allowed to go into a few "special" places?
    They have said that every building is 100% accessible but that most of the buildings will be occupied so NPC's may not like you snooping around there apartments and can even get hostile if you don't leave fast enough

They even claimed at one point that nothing is computer generated but I don't know if I believe that. That seems like a lot of work

In this press release, they said NOT all buildings will be accessible. However, the ones that are will be like you described.

Hmm that's what I figured as well - I wonder how many will be accessible, I guess I will find out at launch

If it helps any, they did say all the buildings were present and not just some kind of backdrop painting :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

So how many people will have characters that look like Keanu Reeves' Johnny Silverhand when they meet Johnny Silverhand? 

Asheram said:

I liked that vid. The guy doing it adds value to the footage without being annoying.

I watched a bit from some video with 4 Gamespot guys talking about the game play and I'm pretty sure this is one of those 4 since he mentioned putting everything into Cool.
    AsheramAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Iselin said:

I'm the opposite of you. I've played many games with good mechanics and RPG systems but if they don't have a good story underneath, I get bored with them.

I am much more forgiving of mediocre combat and systems than a mediocre story. I read a lot - probably more than I game if I were to count the hours. I want a story in the games I play that is at least as good as the ones in the books I enjoy.

Interestingly, I dislike story in games for the same reason that you do like them: reading!

I also read a lot, especially fantasy books, and I find that books are so vastly superior to games at telling stories that I simply can't enjoy the stories in games.

Interestingly (given the genre in question), the last story I actually connected with and enjoyed in a game was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Admittedly, it took me 3 attempts and about 12 hours of attempted playing before I actually connected, but once I had it made the rest of the game pretty damn awesome.

So, maybe there's some hope for Cyberpunk and me :-)
    AlBQuirky
    edited June 2020
    Iselin said:

Interestingly, I dislike story in games for the same reason that you do like them: reading!

I also read a lot, especially fantasy books, and I find that books are so vastly superior to games at telling stories that I simply can't enjoy the stories in games.

Interestingly (given the genre in question), the last story I actually connected with and enjoyed in a game was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Admittedly, it took me 3 attempts and about 12 hours of attempted playing before I actually connected, but once I had it made the rest of the game pretty damn awesome.

So, maybe there's some hope for Cyberpunk and me :-)
    Yeah I've played all the Deus Ex - both when they released and also gone back and replayed them several times. That makes it easy for me to connect to their stories because I'm already invested in the game world. I'm also a sucker for good cyberpunk stories and Deus Ex has that.

With TES games where stories aren't the best, I've played every one of them since Arena's original release so the world/lore investment is there. The world is like a favorite old pair of jeans with holes and patches all over the place but very comfortable :)

I'm also currently re-reading Clive Barker's Weaveworld for the first time in more than a decade. And once again I'm thinking what a great setting for either an RPG series or MMO it would be.
    AlBQuirkycameltosis

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED