Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Unedited Combat Video Surfaces, Plus Info on Hammers

2»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166
    saker said:
    yup looks much as I'd feared very console-centric, not for me. same reason I could never get at all into ESO. Pity the graphics look pretty decent otherwise but their game design decisions don't work at all for me.

When you start seeing threads asking whether the game is better with a controller you know it's gonna suck. The only MMO I can think of that didn't make compromises to keyboard/mouse gameplay for a console release is FFXIV. I can never tell who is on a controller vs kb mouse which is the right way to do it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181
    So is PVE literally just go kill things and collect crafting mats with random world events? No story, no quest chains, just grinding?
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Just checking because some posters seem to be suggesting the game has animation cancelling, is that right?
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Tiller said:
    saker said:
    yup looks much as I'd feared very console-centric, not for me. same reason I could never get at all into ESO. Pity the graphics look pretty decent otherwise but their game design decisions don't work at all for me.

When you start seeing threads asking whether the game is better with a controller you know it's gonna suck. The only MMO I can think of that didn't make compromises to keyboard/mouse gameplay for a console release is FFXIV. I can never tell who is on a controller vs kb mouse which is the right way to do it.
    So, its not a matter of pc or console at all, its all about implementation.

Ohh, and PSO2 uses 36 weapon skills and 40+ items/abilities. Works pretty well.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Wow that looks amazing, great atmosphere. I'm not a fan of those huge hammers but hopefully they'll put in some more weapon variation over time. 
    Iselin
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Doesn't look great to be, but also doesn't look horrible. I plan to pick it up simply because, as far as I understand, it's buy to play like Guild Wars, and I'm pretty bored with gaming right now so something new to mess around in is appealing.
    skeaser said:
    So is PVE literally just go kill things and collect crafting mats with random world events? No story, no quest chains, just grinding?
    That sounds like how pve is set up in open world free-for-all pvp games ....
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    it looks SO realistic!  Combat looks clunky... just like real life.  when you go out with friends there is always a fight to watch in a bar or on the street... clunky.

Sz  :)
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    LMFAO what shit .....

DOA
    BruceYee
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Scot said:

remsleep said:

I much prefer the other 50v50 leaked video - as that one showed reality - this video is way more scripted (and still combat looks poor here)

If you look at the end-game 50v50 siege video - you can see how poorly balanced the current state is - everyone had the same setup (heavy armor with all the perks that reduce heavy armor penalties) and a 2H hammer, few running with sword/board, and few staff users.

also "unedited" - the video jumps from dungeon 2 player run to 2H hammer guy outside at 1:54, then arrow shooting guy, than crafting... clearly it's cherry picked and edited.

I wouldn't say it's because of how unbalanced stuff is but more so how little variety there is....

Prior to the Alpha, I was very excited for this game. After being in a couple Alpha phases, my excitement has dropped 10 fold....

Glad to see someone is addressing what he said rather than just put WTF on his post. Having little variety is an issue time and more 'combat content' will solve, but if this is down to unbalancing you might think this could be solved more quickly. However in my experience balance issues can drag on for months if not years.

What I do know is this looks like the only MMO coming out this year and plenty of players are putting all their eggs in one basket and ignoring any signs that the game has issues.
    People running around with HUGE hammers and a sheiks in their back, then sword and shield with HUGE hammer in their back ??
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Combat looks slow and laggy
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited June 2020
    skeaser said:
    As a long time Alpha player, I cant divulge details but to sum it up, yep thats the gist of it.  The game has no direction or identity, unfortunately.   There are quests but theyre implemented poorly.  Pve content is lackluster at best. 
    [Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    YashaX said:
    Wow that looks amazing, great atmosphere. I'm not a fan of those huge hammers but hopefully they'll put in some more weapon variation over time. 
    That's its, IMO one and only, strength. The environment does look very good.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    remsleep said:
    skeaser said:
    As a long time Alpha player, I cant divulge details but to sum it up, yep thats the gist of it.  The game has no direction or identity, unfortunately.   There are quests but theyre implemented poorly.  Pve content is lackluster at best. 

When a game does a 180 degree direction change mid-development, dont expect it to have a strong identity. 

Also I wouldnt expect it to be a good game either. 

If they stopped and sort of redid the game from ground up - maybe it would have turned out to be a strong PvE game, but this didnt happen
    Yeeeep.  Not sure why they wouldnt just delay the game for a bit longer to flush out the systems to make it as best as they can. Currently, or at least the build I've experienced recently(not sure why they would give us old builds to test in the first place, if they have more updated builds), the game is just too shallow to sustain a playerbase.  Games that have a LOT of PvE get cheewed through quick as hell.  This game doesn't have a fraction of the PvE a lot of other big MMO's have.  Granted its focus is more so on PvP but still, games sustain themselves because of PvE content and this one just doesn't have much. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I have ‘t been following the game closely but judging by that video I think it looks great and has actually peaked my interest.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    YashaX
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    remsleep said:
    skeaser said:

When a game does a 180 degree direction change mid-development, dont expect it to have a strong identity. 

Also I wouldnt expect it to be a good game either. 

If they stopped and sort of redid the game from ground up - maybe it would have turned out to be a strong PvE game, but this didnt happen

Glad you're back with us Kano.

Why did you delete your main account?

Sincerely though WB.
    The fans are really coming out now. :)

This is a game which looks well designed as a PvP/siege MMO but is there anything else? As far as I can work out PvE just means a tag to say you don't want to be in PvP yet, there is hardly anything in place for PvE because they only decided last minute to try to appeal to that player base as well? Now there is nothing wrong with that, we need more MMOs which try for a different play style from WoW. A PvP focused MMO would be a healthy addition to the genre.

Still I don't understand how PvP will work, instanced PvP zones with teleporting in? Also is there animation cancelling? I have worked out that they don't have bunny hopping thank god that's about it.
    edited June 2020
    Scot said:

This is a game which looks well designed as a PvP/siege MMO but is there anything else? As far as I can work out PvE just means a tag to say you don't want to be in PvP yet, there is hardly anything in place for PvE because they only decided last minute to try to appeal to that player base as well? Now there is nothing wrong with that, we need more MMOs which try for a different play style from WoW. A PvP focused MMO would be a healthy addition to the genre.

Still I don't understand how PvP will work, instanced PvP zones with teleporting in? Also is there animation cancelling? I have worked out that they don't have bunny hopping thank god that's about it.

The whole game seems to be designed as a tussle for territory control between three factions. The PVE quests help build up the power of your faction in a particular territory - or undermine power of a faction in a different territory. In that sense, it looks like players will be able to contribute in various ways to shaping the world- which is kind of cool.

When one faction is weakened enough in a particular territory, another faction can declare war to try and take that territory from them. In practice, this works by guilds in the attacking factions declaring war, and then one of these guilds is chosen (at random?) to lead the assault. That guild can choose to recruit players from other guilds (or just use its own members) to form the army. The defending team then sets the time of the siege (lol), which appears to last for an hour. There are 50 players on each team.

And yes it is instanced. Someone who played the closed beta said there was no animation cancelling.

This picture gives a good overview of the UI for declaring war:

Scot[Deleted User]
    edited July 2020
    YashaX said:
    Scot said:

The whole game seems to be designed as a tussle for territory control between three factions. The PVE quests help build up the power of your faction in a particular territory - or undermine power of a faction in a different territory. In that sense, it looks like players will be able to contribute in various ways to shaping the world- which is kind of cool.

When one faction is weakened enough in a particular territory, another faction can declare war to try and take that territory from them. In practice, this works by guilds in the attacking factions declaring war, and then one of these guilds is chosen (at random?) to lead the assault. That guild can choose to recruit players from other guilds (or just use its own members) to form the army. The defending team then sets the time of the siege (lol), which appears to last for an hour. There are 50 players on each team.

And yes it is instanced. Someone who played the closed beta said there was no animation cancelling.

This looks interesting, but I wonder have they learned from past mistakes? There have been MMOs which had guild versus guild battles where a time was chosen (here picked by the defenders), such a system has never worked well. Indeed you gave that an "lol". I also see it costs 150, 000 to declare war, I do hope you cannot some how buy that currency in the cash shop.

Of course some elements of this can be changed after launch if they are unworkable, the problem is that today unless a game hits the ground running well it will never get traction with todays butterfly players.
    Scot said:
    YashaX said:
    Scot said:

This looks interesting, but I wonder have they learned from past mistakes? There have been MMOs which had guild versus guild battles where a time was chosen (here picked by the defenders), such a system has never worked well. Indeed you gave that an "lol". I also see it costs 150, 000 to declare war, I do hope you cannot some how buy that currency in the cash shop.

Of course some elements of this can be changed after launch if they are unworkable, the problem is that today unless a game hits the ground running well it will never get traction with todays butterfly players.

Yeah the setting of siege windows seems easily exploitable to me. All a defender has to do is set it for 3am or 4am and you've robbed the event from the attacking team.
    YashaX said:
    Scot said:
    YashaX said:
    Scot said:

Yeah the setting of siege windows seems easily exploitable to me. All a defender has to do is set it for 3am or 4am and you've robbed the event from the attacking team.
    AoC used to have a randomised or semi-randomised siege times (been a while since I played), there are a number of ways to do this, just not seen or heard of one that works well.
    Mendel
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Timed sieges smacks of PWI to me.  These were limited to once per week.  The 150,000 cost seems to be an attempt to restrict these sieges, unless money is abundant, lots of people contribute, or there is a purchasable item in a future cash shop.

I'm with @Scot here.  None of the scheduled PvP has worked well.

Scot

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TwitchTaranissTwitchTaraniss Member UncommonPosts: 12
    moshra said:
    I don't mind the pace of combat. However, I hate the fact that someone could be shooting off loud fire arms and the guys in the huts 20 ft away are oblivious to it until you attack them directly.
    Sadly that is most MMOs. pull 1 mob with 3 others right next to him. Kill a mob and the pather doesn't notice the guy on the ground dead with an arrow in his back.
    bcbully
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/taraniss

Legends - Heroes fade..Legends last Forever