Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon's paying for youtube views to falsely inflate popularity of New World videos

2»

Comments

• RemaliRemali Member UncommonPosts: 444
    BruceYee said:
    It doesn't matter if they buy a billion views if the game is bad.

What I want to know is what they are aiming for with this game cause it definitely isn't these two things...

1. Making a profit
    2. Making the best game possible

At this point I'm thinking all they are making the game for is to promote lumberyard and have a demo game to show what it can do like MJ with this unchained engine & ragnarok.
    Its engine doesnt look too good either compere it with say bdo which is 5-6 yo and there is no contest
    What i fear is they fail so bad that they stop dev of their lotr mmo as well as all future games wich is a shame cause the worlds richest should be able to put out something good
    alkarionlog
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    edited June 26
    While this may in fact be true, I can assure that I do NOT buy games because some YouTube video got a million views. If you think people buy games based off that, then yes, you clearly are just hating on the game by making up ambiguous and most likely false arguments. Since you made it obvious you are hating on the game by posting multiple negative reviews.

People buy a game because a video had a lot of views? Seriously? lol.
    KyleranAlBQuirky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,982
    Rhoklaw said:
    While this may in fact be true, I can assure that I do NOT buy games because some YouTube video got a million views. If you think people buy games based off that, then yes, you clearly are just hating on the game by making up ambiguous and most likely false arguments. Since you made it obvious you are hating on the game by posting multiple negative reviews.

Wouldn't surprise me actually, world's gotten all sorts of stupid the last 10 yrs or so.

GTFO my lawn you damn kidz!
    IselinSandmanjwAlBQuirkyAmatheRhoklaw

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    remsleep said:
    Arterius said:
    I can't find anything else about this. I think this video is full of it. Just someone hating on the game

go check the stats on the videos on youtube yourself - it's very obvious.

Really strange of you to look for some external validation instead of doing the check first hand yourself.

Strange times we live in.

Here is an obvious example of a video that has bot generated paid views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaR4R7FgB6A

850K views (in a week) - and only 3 comments.

Find another video that has 850K real people views and has only 3 comments (hint - it doesn't exist, because when 850K people watch a video, there's gonna be more than 3 that will actually say something)

So clearly - Amazon is trying to make it seem like New World videos are super popular and watched by a lot of people - so that they create the same FOMO effect that made people go nuts and start buying toilet paper when the pandemic first swept through the world a couple months ago

"omg - 850K watched this video - this game must be epic - let's pre-order!"
    I gotta admit, it's hilarious seeing a vid with over 800,000 views and then 4 comments. Yeah, it's obviously bots, and you don't even need to put on a tinfoil hat to see that. I would expect 4 comments from something with less than 1,000 views. Kinda weird, you'd think Amazon would have some way to add some paid comments in so it didn't look so obviously fake.
    Kyleran

Mend and Defend

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,467
    Amathe said:
    I am too old to understand most of this. Certainly I don't choose games based on streamers - whatever they are. I do listen to some of you, however, and value your opinions. That's part of why I am here.

I trust the opinions of people here alot more than I do streamers and other people that get paid for it.
    AlBQuirkyQuizzicalSlapshot1188AmatheMendelKyleranRhoklaw
  • WargfootWargfoot Member UncommonPosts: 251
    Non-issue.

You cannot support a MMORPG game with a one time purchase so tricking people into a bad game that they'll abandon doesn't do anything to help the studio.  In fact, you'd do better to allow it to mature over time and build buzz because an initial influx to a bad product will only generate hatred on the boards.

In short:
    If they're doing that and it is a bad product they're punishing themselves long term.
    If they're doing that and it is a good product then they just did you a favor.

See?
    No issue.

AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,102
    edited June 26
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Wouldn't surprise me actually, world's gotten all sorts of stupid the last 10 yrs or so.

I'm with you two. People actually buy video games off of reviews (written, video, or otherwise)? A review for me may get me interested enough to look further into a game, but not buy it outright.

Are we from a totally different era?

MendelRhoklaw

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 14,175
    edited June 26
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    Rhoklaw said:

I'm with you two. People actually buy video games off of reviews (written, video, or otherwise)? A review for me may get me interested enough to look further into a game, but not buy it outright.

Are we from a totally different era?

I don't think it's an era or age thing. There have always been people who want to wear or do the latest and coolest things that everyone else is wearing or doing. I think social media just makes it more obvious and spreads it wider, but it has always been a thing. Herd or pack mentality if you will.

Some of us are just not like that but there are enough who are to make it very profitable to cater to or better yet, lead the herd.

Millions did not play Fortnite because it was the best game. They played it because it was the "happening" game.
    MendelKyleranYashaXblueturtle13AlBQuirky
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

"... the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now..."
    __ Wizardry, 2020
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,247
    How do we know that the person who controls the bots isn't just a huge fan of the game and gave Amazon the views for free?

O.o
    Rhoklaw
    --------------------------------------------
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,029
    How do we know that the person who controls the bots isn't just a huge fan of the game and gave Amazon the views for free?

O.o
    Mind goes POOF!
    WellspringKyleranIselinAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,156
    The only streamer worth watching is Pootie Shoe.
    if he gives a game 4+ buttholes I am all in.
    Maybe I shall re-watch it, but as I remember Pootie was a sellout too, so not the best example... and he gives .5 too, which is nonsense, what's half a butthole, right? :)
    KyleranNyteWytchAlBQuirky
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 7,026
    I am genuinely shocked. :o
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,947
    Po_gg said:
    The only streamer worth watching is Pootie Shoe.
    if he gives a game 4+ buttholes I am all in.
    Maybe I shall re-watch it, but as I remember Pootie was a sellout too, so not the best example... and he gives .5 too, which is nonsense, what's half a butthole, right? :)
    Pootie is just misunderstood.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,675
    Am I the only one who never pays attention to how many views a youtube video has, much less use it to gauge how popular something is? I just hit play..if looks garbage I exit it.
    RhoklawKyleranXodicAlBQuirky
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member EpicPosts: 8,057
    It's a sad situation. NW is a mess and this shows Amazon knows it. If this is part of their big picture, included the success of their LOTR MMO, will be interesting how Jeff B chucks money at this problem. For the win would be to bet on development. NW will need to add content quickly. 
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,958
    My question is this. Does NW have a monthly subscription? No? So it's B2P? That right there means that for $40-50, I only expect 1 month of content. I base content value according to the current cost of going to a 2 hour movie, which is around $10 for me.

So, a $50 game should entertain me for at least 8-10 hours. Except I devalue games because they actually cost less to make than most big production movies. So I go with the standard $50 game should entertain me for around 1 month or 100 hours.

If I'm not mistaken, most Alpha players have between 100-500 hours of game play. If some of them are going to tell me the game is bad with that many hours played simply because they removed PvP, then no, they just bitching about no open world ganking and griefing.
    KylerancameltosisAlBQuirky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 35,982
    Ahh... So now we know how SC gets all those inflated Twitch views Babs / Blobber are always sharing.

Most watched game indeed.

:D 
    TillerRhoklawAlBQuirky

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,939
    Kyleran said:
    Ahh... So now we know how SC gets all those inflated Twitch views Babs / Blobber are always sharing.

Most watched game indeed.

:D 
    $300 million buys a whole lot of page views.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,335
    I have problem even searching for the official learis1 said:
    remsleep said:
    Arterius said:
    I can't find anything else about this. I think this video is full of it. Just someone hating on the game

go check the stats on the videos on youtube yourself - it's very obvious.

Really strange of you to look for some external validation instead of doing the check first hand yourself.

Strange times we live in.

Here is an obvious example of a video that has bot generated paid views:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaR4R7FgB6A

850K views (in a week) - and only 3 comments.

Find another video that has 850K real people views and has only 3 comments (hint - it doesn't exist, because when 850K people watch a video, there's gonna be more than 3 that will actually say something)

So clearly - Amazon is trying to make it seem like New World videos are super popular and watched by a lot of people - so that they create the same FOMO effect that made people go nuts and start buying toilet paper when the pandemic first swept through the world a couple months ago

"omg - 850K watched this video - this game must be epic - let's pre-order!"
    I gotta admit, it's hilarious seeing a vid with over 800,000 views and then 4 comments. Yeah, it's obviously bots, and you don't even need to put on a tinfoil hat to see that. I would expect 4 comments from something with less than 1,000 views. Kinda weird, you'd think Amazon would have some way to add some paid comments in so it didn't look so obviously fake.
    It's possible they do it to promote the channel, not necessary the game.

That channel seemed quite low on google's algorithm.  So the video is low on search or promotion list.  
    learis1AlBQuirky