Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Responding to toxicity in online gaming?

13»

Comments

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member UncommonPosts: 541
    edited June 26
    what i've learned is you can't win these arguments. people believe what they will--we talk AT each other--and we need to learn things on our own. you can put something out there for them, but don't expect them to "drink" it. walk away. shut it off. don't feed the fire. you'll be a beter person too, you'll feel so much better not playing god on everyone else.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    AlBQuirky
  • Vorian7Vorian7 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Wizardry said:
    If you read the entire post she was not targeting a foreigner she was basically saying she respects people more that don't feel the need to use curse words when they have something to say.There is more than just being an English major,understanding how to word things is a difficult task for many us including MYSELF.Point is sometimes you have to read between the lines to understand what someone else is saying instead of just looking at the obvious.

Often those who call out others are actually as bad or part of the problem.Example people that wanted to insult someone else didn't want to appear as part of the problem so they began looking for acceptable ways to do it.So in comes the way over used term "troll".I have seen so many baseless use of that term it is sickening and those same people will be constantly pointing fingers at others.

You cannot say much on these forums without the typical trolls coming out and constantly projecting their mental illnesses upon you sadly and without consequence.
    RobokappAlBQuirky
  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,206
    so OP talks crap, gets owned, and whines on forums about it.  

I don't think there's anything else to do now except take the L gracefully and go on to the next game. 

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,911
    Robokapp said:

I don't think there's anything else to do now except take the L gracefully and go on to the next game. 
    if you read carefully, perhaps, you will see my post was more about being upset with my lack of self control and to see what other people do than about actually being owned. 

Also saying someone's playstyle is annoying is a bit different than talking crap.

But yes, best thing to do is to take the L, analyze replay to see how i could have beat it, and move on. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,436
    Robokapp said:

if you read carefully, perhaps, you will see my post was more about being upset with my lack of self control and to see what other people do than about actually being owned. 

Also saying someone's playstyle is annoying is a bit different than talking crap.

But yes, best thing to do is to take the L, analyze replay to see how i could have beat it, and move on. 
    I do think control is the magic word. If you can’t have it ingame because you are losing, have it in the way you act, the way you react. 

Your opponent actually did it both on and off the battlefield. That simple ‘owned’ says more than all toxic words ever could. If you manage that you will also become a better player, your emotions will definitely get in the way of your playing else. This is also what your opponent did, getting under your skin with his playstyle ensuring his victory along the way.

TLDR: Maintaining control will make you a better player, focus on that part. You are a competitive player after all  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    tzervo
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Hi guys, 

So I was playing Starcraft 2 and playing this guy 1v1. I hated his play style and said, "your play style is cancer" . . . the guy doesn't respond. I guess i'm being a bit salty. I'm losing btw. I was more saying, i hate his play style than anything else. 

I end up in the process of losing, and the guy is like "owned"

This triggered me for some reason, that this guy is sitting here flexing on me cuz he beat me. Now you could say I started it first with saying his play style is cancer, but it is more about the way the person plays than the person itself. I guess I should have said, "I hate this play style."

Either way, after his comment "owned". what would you guys have done?

A) Ignore it. say gg and move on. 
    B) Ignore it and leave game. (not doing the customary gg)
    C) Respond with personal attacks. 
    D) Tell them to F off
    E) Or flex on the person, but use RL instead. The rationale here is that in games there are rankings and in life there are rankings. The true RL ranking is happiness . . . but there are other markers. So a person flexes on me in a game, i'll respond with flexing on them in RL (which is more important) and thus topping the other person, potentially. 

Edited. 

To the person who had issue with the use of cancer . . i get it . . . cancer kills a ton of people and loved ones, but it was used as a hyperbole, sort of like saying, "it was hell", etc. 

Then again, I shouldn't have used it though cuz it detracts from the point. 

F) Accept that you kind of deserved being served, then laugh it off 'cause its just a game.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,913
    Hi guys, 

So I was playing Starcraft 2 and playing this guy 1v1. I hated his play style and said, "your play style is cancer" . . . I end up in the process of losing, and the guy is like "owned"...  This triggered me for some reason...  Either way, after his comment "owned". what would you guys have done?
    The situation wouldn't have arisen because I wouldn't have made your immature comment in the first place.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,335
    There is no such thing as bad play style in starcraft.  You do anything to win.  That is the point of the game.  

If you have any problem with the game design or map design you should go to the forum.  
    tzervo