Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Raids in an mmorpg (Not WOW or FFXIV)?

DeathleecherDeathleecher Member UncommonPosts: 89

What mmorpg have the best raid and dungeons?

And NOT FFXIV or Wow. i play them every week, but need something new to raid, but what games got the best raids?

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited June 2020
    I had a blast in ESO, public dungeons for solo play. Easy to get into team dungeons and trials (Trials are raids) are top notch. Not sure how they are doing with lag as of late but that was the only thing that made ESO unplayable. 
  • DeathleecherDeathleecher Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Nanfoodle said:
    I had a blast in ESO, public dungeons for solo play. Easy to get into team dungeons and trials (Trials are raids) are top notch. Not sure how their are doing with lag as of late but that was the only thing that made ESO unplayable. 
    ahh forgot about ESO, done all the raids there many times sadly.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited June 2020
    WoW FF and ESO are the kings of that market. Under them I would try GW2.

EDIT: Also SWToR
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    EQ1 (Plane of Hate, Plane of Sky, so many others)

SWTOR Operations
    Nyghthowler[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ESO raids are well done but if you want to do them with a top group you'd better master animation cancelling.

Unlike other MMOs elite raiding in ESO is not about gear score, it's about fast fingers, precision timing and/or macros.

Competitive raiding there is a whole different game than the ESO most play.

Historically I had a blast in LOTRO raids but that was years ago and I have no idea how they are these days.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    LotRO - The Rift of Nurz Ghashu

12 person raid, 7 or 8 bosses, culminating in a fight against a balrog. Great mechanics all the way through, getting progressively harder as you go on.

At the time of release, LotRO was still very much a "player skill" game - success or failure was primarily about the player's decision making, and hardly at all to do with gear. The combat mechanics had depth, allowing for multiple group compositions and strategies.

Plus, u know, fighting a balrog was pretty damn cool!

Some of LotRO's later raids were pretty fun too, or at least had fun bosses, but were somewhat eclipsed by either mechanical changes (fuck you radience!) or them just not feeling like lord of the rings (dar narbugud for instance). My favourite latter raid was probably Ost Dunhoth, some really inventive bosses and mechanics in there.

Favourite "boss" for OD was the mammoths! You had to split your 12 main raid into 3 groups of 4, then each group was sent off down their own corridor, being chased by massive woolley mammoths! You had to clear enemies and open doors for the other groups before being caught by the mammoths. Was really fun!

Other MMOs just haven't ever met those high standards. SWTOR had some really interesting locations and aesthetics, fighting massive droids, or a rancor etc. But, completely undermined by shallow combat mechanics and massive vertical progression. I heard they got better with later expansions, but I didn't stick around long enough to see them so only experienced the first 4 raids.