Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pleasant Surprises

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
We talk a lot about failure and disappointment. But has an mmo ever pleasantly surprised you? You had minimal expectations and it turned out it was worthwhile?

For me that game was original WoW. So much hype. I didn't expect much. But I really liked it. At first anyway.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

AlBQuirky

Comments

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Wildstar had a lot of negativity but it wasnt too bad when i played it
    [Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ryzom.

Went from “WTF is this” to “ohhhh wow” in just two or three sessions. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I played ESO in beta and it was a pile of steaming garbage. I was hurting for something to play a year ago. All these articles were talking about the turnaround of ESO and how it had record number of players. I went back 5 years after its launch expecting the same garbage and fell in love with the game. Would still be playing it, if the servers performance was not in the toilet. Best MMO I have played since my first MMO love EQ1 and very different games lol
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2020
    FFXIV. Owned the base game for a while, but could never get into it and didn't see a point in paying a sub until recently when I decided to take the dive and buy SB on sale and trudge through the msq to get to the 1st expansion content. After I got into the expansions I just kept going until I finished all the way up to the last patch. I found the story, dungeons, music and over all game to be pretty damn good. The community is fun and engaging as well and hanging out in Limsa Lominsa is kinda like going to the Cheers bar, you get to know the regulars. Pretty social game with interesting folks.
    chilltime99
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Combat in AoC. It looked gimmicky in the previews and I was growing tired of tab targeting at by then but now it’s my second favorite combat of all mmo time. 
    RueTheWhirlNyghthowler
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Like the OP, WoW was a pleasant surprise. After EQ1 I had little hope for it, but gave it a shot. I'm gad I did.

Wizard101 was another. I didn't think much of a card based spell game, but it was surprisingly fun, if not sickeningly cute :lol:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    None.

Only "noobs" get surprised.

;) 
    SandmanjwAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Without question Age of Wushu.

I dropped 9.99 on beta like f it and ended up paying 9.99 a month for two years.
    Cryomatrix
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I dont get surprised by MMO's.

I did try conan exiles and liked it putting jn 150+ hours.

I also liked subnautica but that doesnt surprise me. I barely have time to play games on a whim.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Asheron's Call.  I didn't expect to like any other MMOs after EQ, but AC had some magic to it.
  • chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Tiller said:
    hanging out in Limsa Lominsa is kinda like going to the Cheers bar, you get to know the regulars. 
    This is the absolute best analogy. 
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    TSW.  I was blown away by how immersed I was in the game. 
    RueTheWhirl[Deleted User]Amathe
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Auto assault, for some strange reason i really liked that game.

City of heroes and Earth and beyond are also are 2 of my favorites. 

Ahh the memories:P 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2020
    Tiller said:
    hanging out in Limsa Lominsa is kinda like going to the Cheers bar, you get to know the regulars. 
    This is the absolute best analogy. 

Not to mention the Jades

chilltime99
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    W101
    DCUO
    WoW vanilla and now classic <--no nostalgia problems like some said would happen.