Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO's Coming Out This Year 2020

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
edited June 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I don't know if its just me, but since the new editors came in I have lost track of what is coming out each year under the deluge of items and articles about every cash shop update, new plant species in game and and an article on the news that someone on a MMO development team sneezed. I was just about alright last year but I think this year Poorna Shankar has decided to up the number of items this year so anyone who managed last year to make sense of what was going on is now flummoxed. :)

Now I do realise these are bread and butter for the fans of those MMOs and developing MMOs out there, but I was wondering has anyone been able to keep track and work out if we are expecting anything to launch be the end of the year? Using a very loose concept of what a MMO is here, anything this site has talked about as if it was a MMO is fine.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    New World is coming out soon Aug?

Elyon - (formerly AIR/Acent Infinite Realm) is having its Korean beta in July but no word on when it's coming to the West. Kakao is publishing it here.

All I know.
    Scot
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Star citizen is coming out this year .... well each year since 2010 and beyond ;)
    [Deleted User]AmatheAlbatroesAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Beta for Ashes of Creation maybe close to Oct-Dec of 2020. A pledge will get ya access. I think you can play New World now if you pre-order in their beta. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    The MMORPG future is bright, eh guys?  No wonder people put so much hope into Star Citizen.
    RueTheWhirl
    The MMORPG future is bright, eh guys?  No wonder people put so much hope into Star Citizen.
    There are lots of great MMOs out there. Its not like it was 15 years ago when you only had a handful of MMOs to pick from. MMO market is strong and there are some games in the work that are worth looking forward too. Its to the point, its only worth making an MMO if you have something worth making, that offering something new or lost. 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Nanfoodle said:
    There are lots of great MMOs out there. Its not like it was 15 years ago when you only had a handful of MMOs to pick from. MMO market is strong and there are some games in the work that are worth looking forward too. Its to the point, its only worth making an MMO if you have something worth making, that offering something new or lost. 
    I'm talking about future MMOs.  I don't know of many in-development, potentially high quality games that might capture my interest.  There's New World, but the super action combat isn't for me.  There's a glut of Korean stuff which doesn't interest me.  There are the development hell indie MMOs that will probably be of dubious quality if they ever do release.  Maybe it's more that what's coming doesn't look great to me, personally, but there are a lot that others are anticipating.

What future MMOs are you looking forward to?
    Mendel
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Nanfoodle said:
    I'm talking about future MMOs.  I don't know of many in-development, potentially high quality games that might capture my interest.  There's New World, but the super action combat isn't for me.  There's a glut of Korean stuff which doesn't interest me.  There are the development hell indie MMOs that will probably be of dubious quality if they ever do release.  Maybe it's more that what's coming doesn't look great to me, personally, but there are a lot that others are anticipating.

Indeed we have plenty to choose from but few new ones coming out, been like that for a while now. So only one New World so far? AoC is a beta so that's a pass for me until it launches.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    New World is the only MMO that I'm aware of coming out this year, but I personally wouldn't call it an RPG (thats not necessarily a bad thing, I'm actually quite excited that another genre, the survival genre, is getting it's first mmo!)

I tend to not enjoy the typical asian aesthetic so haven't been following any eastern devs or releases, so no idea what might be coming out from that region of the world. There always seems to be something in development, or getting released, or getting ported to the west.

Then, all the indie / crowd-funded mmos from the west seem to be perpetually delayed, so don't think any of them are releasing this year. I'm still looking forwards to CU, I still believe that the design principles behind teh game are solid. But, its obviously still a long way off. If SC ever releases, i may play it, but it'll depend on the business model (which i have serious concerns about).
    New World is the only MMO that I'm aware of coming out this year, but I personally wouldn't call it an RPG (thats not necessarily a bad thing, I'm actually quite excited that another genre, the survival genre, is getting it's first mmo!)

I tend to not enjoy the typical asian aesthetic so haven't been following any eastern devs or releases, so no idea what might be coming out from that region of the world. There always seems to be something in development, or getting released, or getting ported to the west.

Then, all the indie / crowd-funded mmos from the west seem to be perpetually delayed, so don't think any of them are releasing this year. I'm still looking forwards to CU, I still believe that the design principles behind teh game are solid. But, its obviously still a long way off. If SC ever releases, i may play it, but it'll depend on the business model (which i have serious concerns about).
    Why would you have concerns about the business model of a game that charges thousands of dollars for concept ships?  ;)
    cameltosis
    Nanfoodle said:

For me I am eagerly waiting for Pantheon. I love the modern twist on an MMO that is the Grandfather to what we have all come to love, MMOs. Its Bard's last project and for people who have really looked under the hood, will get this is not just a reskined EQ1. 

I am also excited Amazon is making a new Lord of the Rings MMO. New World looks like a flop but with Amazon making a LotR show, maybe the team working on this has something fresh to bring to the table but that is a long way off. I hope Amazon learns something from New World and builds on that. 

Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:

For me I am eagerly waiting for Pantheon. I love the modern twist on an MMO that is the Grandfather to what we have all come to love, MMOs. Its Bard's last project and for people who have really looked under the hood, will get this is not just a reskined EQ1. 

I am also excited Amazon is making a new Lord of the Rings MMO. New World looks like a flop but with Amazon making a LotR show, maybe the team working on this has something fresh to bring to the table but that is a long way off. I hope Amazon learns something from New World and builds on that. 

That's true, the new LotR might be a lot of fun.  If it sticks with complex action combat, though, I probably won't be very successful at it.  I really need slower, simpler combat, or even tab targeting, to be happy.  That's another reason I don't look forward to a lot of the upcoming MMOs.
    AlBQuirky
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Nanfoodle said:

I really hope that Lord of the Rings MMO actually comes out. I mean, if New World doesn't do well could they just say 'hey guys, it's a wash, let's can what we have in development to save on money."

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited June 2020
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I really hope that Lord of the Rings MMO actually comes out. I mean, if New World doesn't do well could they just say 'hey guys, it's a wash, let's can what we have in development to save on money."

Would not be the first time thats happened. Chris seems to have a long term plan for things and the ability to stick things out and correct things before dropping things. With Twitch, I think he has a bigger game plan. Also Amazon getting into Game Streaming, I think there is more here then we know. And I really think the MMO is tied into the new show, just something I feel.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Ship of Heroes, maybe. It is hard to put much stock in future anything. Today's promise is too often tomorrow's apology.
    ScotAlBQuirky[Deleted User]Mendel
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited June 2020
    Ship of Heroes, maybe. It is hard to put much stock in future anything. Today's promise is too often tomorrow's apology.

That reminds me that City of Titans is "supposed" to beta test this year, but not release until later.
    Amathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Mobile gaming has put a hurt on MMO development that's for sure.....They can make so much more off of mobile game and at a fraction of the cost to make it. Look at Star Citizen...how many mobile games could a company make with 300 million dollars to invest?
    NanfoodleAlBQuirkyScot
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    2020?  None that interest me.  There's nothing except old ideas rehashed and simplified systems in any game in-development.  Realistically, I don't know if there's anything that's not built around decades-old ideas planned for the entire decade.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.