Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO where mobs drop randomized stats loot?

servo77servo77 Member UncommonPosts: 18

I'm looking for a game ala Asheron's Call where the loot that drops from all mobs has a chance to be really good. Like a sword may drop that does 1-5 damage, or the same sword could drop that does 7-15 damage, except less often?

The trend for all modern mmos is that you get your gear from quests or crafting, but I really enjoy wandering around, killing mobs, farming, etc. where every kill has a chance to net you a usable piece of gear.

Anything like that right now?

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Unfortunately there was only one true Asheron's Call.  All other games did things like group drops into colors and have specific drops. 
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    seen games with a few things random but nothing like what your talking about with AC.  Just another part of AC that was way ahead of its time.
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

There is a game called Project Gorgon where loot is a little like that.You get gear drops that you need to have level 5 in different disciplines like sword,staff,archery etcetera.You can level up all those abilities but only use 2 at a time.Like sword + shield,Battle Chemistry + Mentalism .

There are loads of skills,some you need to quest for NPC's and raise their favor to like you enough to teach them,you can also give them things they like as gifts to raise favor.

Here is a list of skills http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Main_Page  

The game is totally free but low population,everyone there is very helpful though.Word of warning this game is not for the casual player that goes for graphics over gameplay/game mechanics.They will probably die against a solo mob and decide the graphics aren't good enough /snicker

Octagon7711

• servo77servo77 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Fangrim

There is a game called Project Gorgon where loot is a little like that.You get gear drops that you need to have level 5 in different disciplines like sword,staff,archery etcetera.You can level up all those abilities but only use 2 at a time.Like sword + shield,Battle Chemistry + Mentalism .

There are loads of skills,some you need to quest for NPC's and raise their favor to like you enough to teach them,you can also give them things they like as gifts to raise favor.

Here is a list of skills http://projectgorgon.com/wiki/Main_Page  

The game is totally free but low population,everyone there is very helpful though.Word of warning this game is not for the casual player that goes for graphics over gameplay/game mechanics.They will probably die against a solo mob and decide the graphics aren't good enough /snicker

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot. thanks!

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Cool :) You can also buy/find/craft belts that say things like 'random loot will have a higher chance to be Archery or Animal Handling abilities'

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i would say you would be better of playing some action rpg like path of exile, diablo, borderland, hellgate etc.
  • servo77servo77 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Benedikt
    i would say you would be better of playing some action rpg like path of exile, diablo, borderland, hellgate etc.

Huge POE fan. Just looking for something with a bigger world to explore / raid

• lolli42lolli42 Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited May 2018
    wow project gorgon looks amazing
    just the game i was looking for
    there is also "archeage" but i dont like it so much
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Age of Conan unchained gives good items at the end of the longer quest chains.  ESO gives decent drops with a chance to get good gear and weapons especially while grinding dark anchors and some quest rewards.  SWL lets you increase weapons stats with daily login rewards and some drops are good.  Aion.  Eve Online.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• viletot0viletot0 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    daoc has/had those random drops , I don't know if they have changed that, I haven't played it in quite a few years.  i remember farming groups of mobs to get good gear /weapon drops.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Project Gorgon as suggested is a great game , and has awesome Random Loot ..

DDO also has Random Loot
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    I know you asked for mmorpg but it really sounds like ARPGs are up your alley OP.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

edited May 2018
    I think some folks are missing the point of Randomized loot ....

Games like DAOC and ESO do not have Randomized loot , the same exact items drop over and over and over ..

Randomized pulls stats and skills for any gear piece from a much larger and diverse Pool completly randomizing the stats and skills .. Enabling the possibilty of completely Unique items that Noone else has..

for ex .................

A Bow

With 5% Fireball Spell Damage

10% chance to evade in unarmed combat ..

+ 15 Int

+ 15 Str..

Yes a Hot mess right ..

But you may also get that perfect Bow .. That noone else has a similar one

Of agmes i know of .. Asherons Call, Ultima Online, Dungeons and Dragons , Project Gorgon ..All had Randomized loot , i know also Ryzom has a very unique crafting system that allows for not so much Random , but Unique items ..

DID SWG ??  i seem to think it did
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited May 2018
    a lot of people don't know what the AC loot system is obviously

here is a Helm for example

there are 30 types of helms
    the armor level can range from 100-300
    the wield requirement can be magic def, missile def, melee def, have a rank requirement or a level req
    it can then have anywhere from 0-8 spells
    these 8 spells can be in range from level 1-incantations (level 8) then they could have minor/major/epic/legendary additives.  These majors can be any skill like sword buff or any Ward (like Epic Flame Ward reduces damage vs flame by 25%) minor is 10 major 15 etc
    then after all the spells are rolled it will roll protections
    there are 7 types of protections
    Bludge, Pierce, Slash, Fire, Lightning, Acid, Cold
    each of these protections can roll from 1-6 in tiers.  Those protections mean that armor is stronger against say fire attacks to the head (in AC attacks are specific, and certain monsters hit different parts of your body)

it was literally impossible to find a duplicate item in AC, even if the stats looked exactly the same you then have burden and value.

Then you could tinker on top of it

and the best thing is, that these items could drop of any specific kill based of tier level.  If you hunted the highest level mobs in the game, you could find that perfect item on any kill at any time.  Not garbage farm this boss for this item

there was also not just chest, shoulders, legs etc, there was

helm, pauldron, bracer, chest, girth, tassets, greaves, sollerets, gloves, but tons of armor that would cover 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 of the slots, which was sometimes good and sometimes bad

things like Amuli armor was a 2 piece set that covered whole body except hands/feet/helm.  Oh and good like trying to find those leet stats while finding a matching set.

Best loot system ever
    Scorchien
    Yea , AC system was really well done , argubly the best of the Random systems , was so much fun just heading out in a Random Direction...

for some Random Killing...

for some Random Loot :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    centkin said:
    Unfortunately there was only one true Asheron's Call.  All other games did things like group drops into colors and have specific drops. 
    And as much as I loved AC when I played it, some of those randomized loot combinations produced some downright goofy items that were good for nothing other than vendoring after you stopped laughing. That's the flip side of that story.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited May 2018
    Iselin said:
    centkin said:
    And as much as I loved AC when I played it, some of those randomized loot combinations produced some downright goofy items that were good for nothing other than vendoring after you stopped laughing. That's the flip side of that story.
    Yea , but altho not randomized there is just as much trash loot in any other static loot game .. Just laughable  junk ..

And if you do get a desirable item in Static Loot game you know exactly what it is Tabugala Sword # 3,267,154 has dropped exaclty like all the others ..

Ina random loot game you will get an equal amount of trash , with that chance to get a truly Unique Item ..

Myrdynn
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited May 2018
    the funny thing is that anyone who played AC knows that AC has the best loot system ever, for people that didn't play it, they are used to everything how it is now in every game.  Maybe we were worse off breaking in on a game like that as we will never find another system even close

centkin
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited June 2020
    Path of Exile looks promising. I always liked the random items in Diablo. I was always comparing it to Everquest. I ofcourse played Everquest before I played Diablo, but I liked the unique (random!) items in Diablo much more. Early on, the items in EQ were much more unique between each other. Not every item had hitpoints or ac or mana or haste or was the same slot or same weight or strength or whatever. Classes had more choices to customize, since items weren't as strongly created for particular  classes. Sadly, Everquest spreadsheeted all its items as it matured, making it much much more boring. It lost its soul somewhere, trying to control everytyhing.

It's sad to me so many MMORPGs have such terribly boring items. I think the reason for this is because the designers are trying to keep it bug free and as frustration free as possible by keeping things the same, but ultimately this fails on some level because it's overbalanced. Overbalancing always produces bland results, and while it might make business sense and might also be more popular since mainstream audiences want something easy to understand, it'll still only work for most players most of the time--it won't work for all of them all the time. so what hapepns is playres like me are left with few options.

Gorgon looks interesting too.

I tink the key take away is don't overdesign. Don't overbalance. Don't try to exterminate every potential bug or risk. Keep it hazy. It's better to eat lots of spaghetti as a programmer or designer. Let it spill out. Let it be sloppy. Players like to tinker and have some unknown things. This might be slightly dangerous from a design perspective, and also harder to understand as a player, and maybe less popular, err economical, but in my opinion is the only way to do it. I tihnk this lends itself to amataeur or indie game designers, since i seems like established designers always fall prey to overcontrolling or over simplifying for one reason or another. I think they got bit too man ytimes and now they don't know how to be young and make intersting things. ironically maybe sometimes it's better to be ignorant--to make something fresh.

then again my advice is probably bad. look how mnay millions of gamers are enjoying these bland items systems. they wnat something simple and easy. game deisngers are just giving htem what they want. however i don't think this explains everything. i do think designers get "old" and crusty. they get worn. limited vision. old. encumbered. stale. the blame lies both on the lazy masses AND the over matured designers.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    centkin said:
    Yea , but altho not randomized there is just as much trash loot in any other static loot game .. Just laughable  junk ..

And if you do get a desirable item in Static Loot game you know exactly what it is Tabugala Sword # 3,267,154 has dropped exaclty like all the others ..

Ina random loot game you will get an equal amount of trash , with that chance to get a truly Unique Item ..

Plus there were items with drawbacks.  Do you accept that double major item with only 70 AL in one armor slot which will give you a heel of achillies if the monsters strike there at the wrong time?  Do you accept the nice item that looks like your dog had something bad to eat today and left you a present? 

There were items that while not good for you were eminently tradable, breakable down into components, or simply fashionably sellable? 

What of the item that while good had a value of 120,000 which would drop pretty much every time you died?
  • Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Phantasy Star Online 2 has randomized loot the stats and slots vary greatly from 0 slot which have no stats to 8 slots which could have rare stat bonuses making it an amazing weapon or armour unit.