Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Responding to toxicity in online gaming?

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I play ALOT of Pvp / competitive games so I encounter toxicity in almost every match. You either just start ignoring / muting whoever is being toxic or you join in and make the situation worse. Also in any competitive thing you will get EZGG or owned or whatever and honestly it's all in fun. That person is probably just happy they won. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited June 2020
    cheyane said:
    I have more respect for people who can respond in well written English with prose, obscure words, humour and insult with such style it will make one weep. I do enjoy a well written remark far more than a swear ridden one. Something that Oscar Wilde might write if he was to insult me.
    Foreigners are just inferior people and don't deserve as much respect as native English speakers?

I do agree with you that people who behave like kids with their swear words should not be respected, but you're raising the bar too high.
    [Deleted User]

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2020
    If you read the entire post she was not targeting a foreigner she was basically saying she respects people more that don't feel the need to use curse words when they have something to say.There is more than just being an English major,understanding how to word things is a difficult task for many us including MYSELF.Point is sometimes you have to read between the lines to understand what someone else is saying instead of just looking at the obvious.

Often those who call out others are actually as bad or part of the problem.Example people that wanted to insult someone else didn't want to appear as part of the problem so they began looking for acceptable ways to do it.So in comes the way over used term "troll".I have seen so many baseless use of that term it is sickening and those same people will be constantly pointing fingers at others.

cheyane[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Dish it, take it. Cant be bent out of shape with a simple "owned" That isn't exactly an insult or a complement. Toxic part was actually you lol so in a sense you made a thread about yourself, not to point fingers because I would respond in a few different ways depending on my mood lol.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    you guys are strange, why you care what someone you don't know think about you? just block and start to kill him without a care in game, ignoring people like this make then even more mad.

if I listed the number of times I was kicked from matches for hacking or name calling me because I sniped the dude over the map or being called no skill by doing teh same I wouldn't play games never again
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Hi guys, 

So I was playing Starcraft 2 and playing this guy 1v1. I hated his play style and said, "your play style is cancer" . . . the guy doesn't respond. I guess i'm being a bit salty. I'm losing btw. I was more saying, i hate his play style than anything else. 

I end up in the process of losing, and the guy is like "owned"

This triggered me for some reason, that this guy is sitting here flexing on me cuz he beat me. Now you could say I started it first with saying his play style is cancer, but it is more about the way the person plays than the person itself. I guess I should have said, "I hate this play style."

Either way, after his comment "owned". what would you guys have done?

A) Ignore it. say gg and move on. 
    B) Ignore it and leave game. (not doing the customary gg)
    C) Respond with personal attacks. 
    D) Tell them to F off
    E) Or flex on the person, but use RL instead. The rationale here is that in games there are rankings and in life there are rankings. The true RL ranking is happiness . . . but there are other markers. So a person flexes on me in a game, i'll respond with flexing on them in RL (which is more important) and thus topping the other person, potentially. 

Edited. 

To the person who had issue with the use of cancer . . i get it . . . cancer kills a ton of people and loved ones, but it was used as a hyperbole, sort of like saying, "it was hell", etc. 

Then again, I shouldn't have used it though cuz it detracts from the point. 

You were the toxic one in this scenario. You got upset he was beating you using a valid strategy, which I assume is cannon rushing. Its like how people would rage private message others in a game like Darkfall online when they lost; its only fuel for the winner.

MurderHerd

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Honestly, even if i won the game, i still may have said the playstyle is annoying, which it was, i just used a hyperbolic phrase. 

To all the other people, i rarely react to other people's tpxicity, usually it entertains me, but that time just got under my skin which is unusual. 
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Every time this thread pops up I get System of a Down stuck in my head. 
    chilltime99[Deleted User]
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    For more perspective, i was playing the other day.
    The custom is to start a game with telling your opponent glhf = good luck and have fun.

I start every game like that.

One guy responds:
    1) fuck you

Another guy was:
    2) u 2 n**** and then proceeded to cheese me with a stupid proxy style. 

These are rare, but i ignored both, was mildly amused by the first guy whose name was Legos, since i love legos, it disappointed me.

When you lose and bow out of a game, it is customary to say gg = good game. 

I usually say gg, and the few times i forget, i msg them afterward. 

Overall, i was strangely triggered by owned, had the guy said, stop whining and learn how to beat it, i woulsnt have reacted that way, oh well, if you are bored of mmos, try competitive 1v1 gaming. 

AlBQuirkyGdemami
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    My block game is strong. I just don't have to deal with your shit. I don't really care about game banter because I can take it and dish it, 

but the second they say something racist to ME, I'm blocking. ZERO Tolerance. 

I can play with people who simply aren't like that. Easy fix. 
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374

D) Tell them to F off
    E) Or flex on the person, but use RL instead. The rationale here is that in games there are rankings and in life there are rankings. The true RL ranking is happiness . . . but there are other markers. So a person flexes on me in a game, i'll respond with flexing on them in RL (which is more important) and thus topping the other person, potentially. 

A.  Yes.  Be a better sport.  In his case, he deserves to say you were "Owned."  You started talking shit.  He hit back, he took the W, and he deserves to flex on you because you talked shit and got hit for it. 
    B.  Yes.  (The whole gg being customary thing is stupid to me.  If I want to just move right into the next game, I will.)
    C.  No  (Never go personal unless they go personal first.  If other people want to start playing in the mud, then I'll play in the mud too because sometimes that's just fun.)
    D.  Also No.  (Just basic bitch levels of stupid.)
    E.  HELLLLLL No. The internet is anonymity.  Anybody can say they are anything on the internet, therefore flexing with Real Life is the basic levels of stupidity because you're not going to send them a picture of your driver's license, family photo, and employee ID to verify that you are succeeding.  And if you're not going to do that, then that means that they don't have to do it, resulting in a pissing match of flexing shit that doesn't matter to other people.  Those people are stupid.  If you're doing that, you're stupid.

If you got triggered by him saying owned, then that says more about you since you started it first.
    [Deleted User]
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    edited June 2020
    Honestly, even if i won the game, i still may have said the playstyle is annoying, which it was, i just used a hyperbolic phrase.
    You used a phrase that although now common is in incredibly poor taste. That will at times be met with a response that reflects that poor taste. Further, that you choose to use the word cancer in this manner doesn't speak highly of you.

It is a fairly common and devastating disease that has touched the lives of many, such that there is a good chance any you play with have encountered it through either the suffering of those they are close to or directly.

It is horrible to go through either way, and may very well be at the center of the worst time of that person's life. It is a rather nasty wound that is a best covered over by a scab that nobody should be picking at.

You would do well to pick another word to express your displeasure at the play style of others, or not bother commenting at all as your opponent is not obliged to play in a manner that pleases you.

My choice of action at the end of the match would be A or B.
    [Deleted User]
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited June 2020
    what i've learned is you can't win these arguments. people believe what they will--we talk AT each other--and we need to learn things on our own. you can put something out there for them, but don't expect them to "drink" it. walk away. shut it off. don't feed the fire. you'll be a beter person too, you'll feel so much better not playing god on everyone else.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    AlBQuirky
  • Vorian7Vorian7 Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Wizardry said:
    If you read the entire post she was not targeting a foreigner she was basically saying she respects people more that don't feel the need to use curse words when they have something to say.There is more than just being an English major,understanding how to word things is a difficult task for many us including MYSELF.Point is sometimes you have to read between the lines to understand what someone else is saying instead of just looking at the obvious.

Often those who call out others are actually as bad or part of the problem.Example people that wanted to insult someone else didn't want to appear as part of the problem so they began looking for acceptable ways to do it.So in comes the way over used term "troll".I have seen so many baseless use of that term it is sickening and those same people will be constantly pointing fingers at others.

You cannot say much on these forums without the typical trolls coming out and constantly projecting their mental illnesses upon you sadly and without consequence.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Robokapp said:
    so OP talks crap, gets owned, and whines on forums about it.  

I don't think there's anything else to do now except take the L gracefully and go on to the next game. 
    if you read carefully, perhaps, you will see my post was more about being upset with my lack of self control and to see what other people do than about actually being owned. 

Also saying someone's playstyle is annoying is a bit different than talking crap.

But yes, best thing to do is to take the L, analyze replay to see how i could have beat it, and move on. 
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Robokapp said:
    so OP talks crap, gets owned, and whines on forums about it.  

I don't think there's anything else to do now except take the L gracefully and go on to the next game. 
    if you read carefully, perhaps, you will see my post was more about being upset with my lack of self control and to see what other people do than about actually being owned. 

Also saying someone's playstyle is annoying is a bit different than talking crap.

But yes, best thing to do is to take the L, analyze replay to see how i could have beat it, and move on. 
    I do think control is the magic word. If you can’t have it ingame because you are losing, have it in the way you act, the way you react. 

Your opponent actually did it both on and off the battlefield. That simple ‘owned’ says more than all toxic words ever could. If you manage that you will also become a better player, your emotions will definitely get in the way of your playing else. This is also what your opponent did, getting under your skin with his playstyle ensuring his victory along the way.

TLDR: Maintaining control will make you a better player, focus on that part. You are a competitive player after all  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]Ungood
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Hi guys, 

So I was playing Starcraft 2 and playing this guy 1v1. I hated his play style and said, "your play style is cancer" . . . the guy doesn't respond. I guess i'm being a bit salty. I'm losing btw. I was more saying, i hate his play style than anything else. 

I end up in the process of losing, and the guy is like "owned"

This triggered me for some reason, that this guy is sitting here flexing on me cuz he beat me. Now you could say I started it first with saying his play style is cancer, but it is more about the way the person plays than the person itself. I guess I should have said, "I hate this play style."

Either way, after his comment "owned". what would you guys have done?

D) Tell them to F off

Edited. 

To the person who had issue with the use of cancer . . i get it . . . cancer kills a ton of people and loved ones, but it was used as a hyperbole, sort of like saying, "it was hell", etc. 

Then again, I shouldn't have used it though cuz it detracts from the point. 

F) Accept that you kind of deserved being served, then laugh it off 'cause its just a game.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Hi guys, 

So I was playing Starcraft 2 and playing this guy 1v1. I hated his play style and said, "your play style is cancer" . . . I end up in the process of losing, and the guy is like "owned"...  This triggered me for some reason...  Either way, after his comment "owned". what would you guys have done?
    The situation wouldn't have arisen because I wouldn't have made your immature comment in the first place.
    Gdemami
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    There is no such thing as bad play style in starcraft.  You do anything to win.  That is the point of the game.  

If you have any problem with the game design or map design you should go to the forum.  
    [Deleted User]
    AAAMEOW said:
    There is no such thing as bad play style in starcraft.  You do anything to win.  That is the point of the game.  

If you have any problem with the game design or map design you should go to the forum.  
    Yes and no.

Goal is to win. Winning is all that matters and you are right. So that is the yes.

Playstyle is extraordinarily annoying to play against, even if the goal is to win, losing or winning, isnt even fun.

I played a guy doing a turtle BC mech build yesterday. After 36 minutes, i won the game, was it fun, not at all. It actually sucked to play against, it isnt even good gameplay as the professionals dont even do it and the way you know a playstyle sucks is that it isnt intrinsically fun to play against.

Other strategies are more fun to play against, even if i lose. 

Ling-bane-muta with zerg wrecks me but it is fun to play against either way. Turtle mech is intrinsically annoying as the game gets prolonged by a huge factor, while you slowly whittle away at their defences, slow and tedious it becomes.

So yes, the goal is to win and you win at all costs, so all gameplay styles are part of strategy, but let us be honest, intrinsically during the game, it is akin to opening a coconut with a plastic knife. Plus, it isnt even a good stategy as pros dont do it. Now proxying and cheesing are annoying to play against but completely justified in tournaments. 

So yeah, the playstyle sucks and those are my reasons for saying it, prolongs the game to a boring slog. It is an annoying playstyle and, you could argue it is bad, as it doesnt succeed at higher levels and prolongs games uselessly. 
    Gdemami
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    AAAMEOW said:

Yes and no.

Goal is to win. Winning is all that matters and you are right. So that is the yes.

Playstyle is extraordinarily annoying to play against, even if the goal is to win, losing or winning, isnt even fun.

I played a guy doing a turtle BC mech build yesterday. After 36 minutes, i won the game, was it fun, not at all. It actually sucked to play against, it isnt even good gameplay as the professionals dont even do it and the way you know a playstyle sucks is that it isnt intrinsically fun to play against.

Ling-bane-muta with zerg wrecks me but it is fun to play against either way. Turtle mech is intrinsically annoying as the game gets prolonged by a huge factor, while you slowly whittle away at their defences, slow and tedious it becomes.

So yes, the goal is to win and you win at all costs, so all gameplay styles are part of strategy, but let us be honest, intrinsically during the game, it is akin to opening a coconut with a plastic knife. Plus, it isnt even a good stategy as pros dont do it. Now proxying and cheesing are annoying to play against but completely justified in tournaments. 

So yeah, the playstyle sucks and those are my reasons for saying it, prolongs the game to a boring slog. It is an annoying playstyle and, you could argue it is bad, as it doesnt succeed at higher levels and prolongs games uselessly. 
    That was an extreme load of bullshit.
    Gdemami
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Hi guys, 
    what would you guys have done?

D) Tell them to F off

I love me some unfiltered PvP games like Warcraft, Starcraft, Dawn of War, and many others. But boy do they ever bring out the butthurt pitiful crybabies.

Which is why I often I pretend to not to speak english, just a safety action, most of the time I don't even read chat if the other players can in fact talk to me at all, I will flat out ignore it, and just say GL/HF at the start, and no matter what say GG/WP at the end, with absolutely NOTHING said between, regardless of anything and everything someone will throw at me, because when people toss salt in a PvP game it just distracts from the game itself, and I don't play game for salt, and the more salty they are, the less I want to talk with them.

With that all said, The sad reality for you, is that person that triggered you with one word "Owned" beat you both in the game and out of it, and at that point, honestly if you try to anything other then A or  B, you just lose more.

I mean think about it, flip what you plan to do, and think if someone tried that with you.

If you try E: If you just beat someone and they tried to pull some flex on you on how great their RL was, you would just laugh at how pitiful they were.

If you try D: If someone insulted you after you beat them, like telling you to F-off, you would just laugh at pitiful they are.

If you try C: If someone hurled personal insulted at you after you beat them, you would just laugh at how pitiful they were.

So for you to not look like a total life loser, you are pretty much left with Option A & B, neither is really better than the other IMHO.

Just my feels on it.. personally. I would have said "LOL/GG/WP", and left.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AAAMEOW said:

I thought the goal of any game is to have fun. I have "won" competitive games and had zero fun.

I'd rather have fun over winning any day :)
    Ungood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AAAMEOW said:

Yes and no.

How so? Main point was it isnt fun to play against and professional players dont even do it, so yes it is a win at all cost game, but there is no redeeming quality for it as it isnt even deemed a good enough strategy for pros to do it. 

At least if professionals did it, then you could justify it as a "good" strategy like cheeses and proxies. But if professionals dont do it and it prolongs the game to a boring slog, then it could be said it is a "bad" strategy in some nuance.

Also, there is a reason why lot of people, if you are playing Terran vs Terran  just quit the game at the start. At least 15 to 20% of all my ladder games of TvT are instantly quitted by the other side when it is a TvT.

People dont like playing the games because they can be long and drawn out based on a person's playstyle.  
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited July 2020
    AAAMEOW said:

Yes and no.

How so? Main point was it isnt fun to play against and professional players dont even do it, so yes it is a win at all cost game, but there is no redeeming quality for it as it isnt even deemed a good enough strategy for pros to do it. 

At least if professionals did it, then you could justify it as a "good" strategy like cheeses and proxies. But if professionals dont do it and it prolongs the game to a boring slog, then it could be said it is a "bad" strategy in some nuance.

Also, there is a reason why lot of people, if you are playing Terran vs Terran  just quit the game at the start. At least 15 to 20% of all my ladder games of TvT are instantly quitted by the other side when it is a TvT.

People dont like playing the games because they can be long and drawn out based on a person's playstyle.  
    Amateurs using amateur tricks that won't work at pro level does not make them or their strategy bad. They're playing at their own skill level and they're allowed to do it.