Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal thoughts, list them here.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

- First I would like to pick a class and race and follow through to the end, alts will come later.  My own rule is level 10 or lower, decide and stop searching. 

- For years I've been playing Thief's or Rogues or Healers.  All three are getting old.  Speed run healing really turned me off in many games, I know Pantheon will be back to original but still.  

- Race ?.... I'm partial to Elves, started in Teldrassil in WoW and Echoes of Faydwer expansion in EQ2 had me starting in Kelethin. 

- Dungeons and cooperative game play is important to me.  Also I specialize in getting people together so I'll pick the best teleport class. 

- I agree with no flying mounts, but getting myself and groups around the world will be a concern.  I don't understand starting zones and cities and the overall size of the world so getting people together is still a question. 

- Undecided on crafting and harvesting on my first character, I usually like adventuring first.  It's a wait and see depending on game dynamics.

Large concerns:

- I like locked-in Realms.  Pick one and stick with it.  I don't like multiple shards like in EQ2, bouncing from one to another looking for world people SUCKS BIG.  Who ever came up with this idea should be shot.  It's like putting a Band-Aid on a problem and running with it.  I'm looking at you Sony Entertainment !  

- Zone loading, nothing breaks immersion more. It's 2020 and developers still take the easy softer way. Visionary Realms is not a high tech company, I'm not expecting a smooth transition from one zone to another.  2004 technology at best, why care about flying mounts with zone loading.  

- The game WILL BE a hot mess in all categories at release, I'll wait several days before deciding.  Honestly I think a year to be playable, regardless of their take-their-time approach.  Vanguard all over again.

mmolou

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I don't know what you are trying to say.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Amathe said:
    Not really trying to say anything in particular. 

Just over all thoughts..... Do you have any ?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have a lot of thoughts but likely not see any in Pantheon.
    1 altaholic ,prefer FFXI subclass
    2 less multi links,like seeing an entire room link is not so umm cool.
    3 multi aggro systems instead of just  proximity.
    4 Mobs spread out more,less congestion.
    5 To be honest i am not a fan of CC design.I would prefer only 1-2 CC ideas and they be on VERY long timers.
    6 would love to see elemental properties and a more noticeable SKILL difference.Example you can really notice the difference if your Axe skill is 5 or 35.
    7 Way longer buffs,3-5 secs or even 10 secs,not a fan.Give me 2 minute or longer buffs,less button mashing is good.
    8 Meaningful player to player combos.
    9 Bosses more reliant on skill/ability/spell use than gear scores.
    10 Added this one because 10 is a nice even number..lol.Ok here's one,make food ALWAYS and not OOC.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2020
    I won't likely be playing as so far the game lacks any sense of real purpose, level up to do what with it exactly?

My time in pointless gear grinders has long since come to an end.

bcbullyPanzerbeorne39strawhat0981

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited June 2020
    Kyleran said:
    I won't likely be playing as so far the game lacks any sense of real purpose, level up to do what with it exactly?

Assuming we get to that point...my plan is to level up to restart to gain progeny rewards for the first 6 months to a year at least.  Do the progeny loop.

Maybe once the first expansion releases it will be time to take a break and try a few raids.  We willsee what the climate looks like a year or more down the line.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Amathe said:
    Not really trying to say anything in particular. 

Just over all thoughts..... Do you have any ?
    I have only one thought. For each design decision, ask yourself how does this feature or design element contribute to a player's overall immersion in the game world. 
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

- First I would like to pick a class and race and follow through to the end, alts will come later.  My own rule is level 10 or lower, decide and stop searching. 

- For years I've been playing Thief's or Rogues or Healers.  All three are getting old.  Speed run healing really turned me off in many games, I know Pantheon will be back to original but still.  

- Race ?.... I'm partial to Elves, started in Teldrassil in WoW and Echoes of Faydwer expansion in EQ2 had me starting in Kelethin. 

- Dungeons and cooperative game play is important to me.  Also I specialize in getting people together so I'll pick the best teleport class. 

- I agree with no flying mounts, but getting myself and groups around the world will be a concern.  I don't understand starting zones and cities and the overall size of the world so getting people together is still a question. 

- Undecided on crafting and harvesting on my first character, I usually like adventuring first.  It's a wait and see depending on game dynamics.

Large concerns:

- I like locked-in Realms.  Pick one and stick with it.  I don't like multiple shards like in EQ2, bouncing from one to another looking for world people SUCKS BIG.  Who ever came up with this idea should be shot.  It's like putting a Band-Aid on a problem and running with it.  I'm looking at you Sony Entertainment !  

- Zone loading, nothing breaks immersion more. It's 2020 and developers still take the easy softer way. Visionary Realms is not a high tech company, I'm not expecting a smooth transition from one zone to another.  2004 technology at best, why care about flying mounts with zone loading.  

- The game WILL BE a hot mess in all categories at release, I'll wait several days before deciding.  Honestly I think a year to be playable, regardless of their take-their-time approach.  Vanguard all over again.

So WoW with different skill/race/item names.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Responding to a post..
    Loading the game as you go is not better than pre caching most of the zone before you enter it.You can get away with that when your game is very low poly like Wow is,however if we want games to advance without needing $5000+ PC's we could use some pre loading.
    To try and make sense of it would be like saying,i don't want to sit and wait to download the game,why can't i d/l on the fly?
    Well this does happen in some games but even still you have to first download enough code to actually make the game work.You can't just simply say,i want to play it NOW,as soon as i click on the icon i want to play it.When you first click the game.exe it begins loading,after the logo and maybe a character selection screen your still going to wait for that zone and data to load.

I have probably stated at least 20x or more that Blizzard is NOT a good example on how to design a mmorpg,there are many fails within.Blizzard makes designs that work for Blizzard,they are not concerned if it works for you or if it is even a good idea for a rpg.Simple obvious proof>>>no housing,so yeah Blizzard doesn't care about delivering a good rpg experience,they don't need to because they already have plenty of fish.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I should work out more
    I hate doing the dishes
    I should go to bed early tonight
    I love my new kitchen
    I need a holiday
    I want to write a book

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    SovrathcheyaneKyleranAmatheWellspring
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited June 2020
    lahnmir said:
    I should work out more
    I hate doing the dishes
    I love my new kitchen
    I need a holiday
    I want to write a book

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I should work out more
    I've been meaning to say something

I hate doing the dishes
    Clean as you go or else hire someone

You should but you won't. Don't beat yourself up.

I love my new kitchen
    I do too, especially how you push on the drawers and they just slide out.

I need a holiday
    I've been meaning to say something ..

I want to write a book

That's easy, set aside 30 days, first day what happens begining, middle and end, 2nd day "chunk out" large scenes, 3rd day and each day after do a scene or two each day. 

You will have started writing your book.
    lahnmircheyane
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I haven't played Pantheon so can't give a legitimate opinion there, I can just go by what I ahve seen on the Youtube videos......

1. The game looks booorrrrinnnngg. I watch the devs just stand and beat on mobs that looks like they do 1 HP of damage at a time. It's too slow. Even they look totally bored and seemed disinterested often.

2. It feels like they just said "hey lets take EQ1 and give it better grpahics and we are set"... That may be great in theory but it is hard to capture the same feeling EQ had 20 years ago.

3. Did Pantheon die the day Brad died?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    I haven't played Pantheon so can't give a legitimate opinion there, I can just go by what I ahve seen on the Youtube videos......

1. The game looks booorrrrinnnngg. I watch the devs just stand and beat on mobs that looks like they do 1 HP of damage at a time. It's too slow. Even they look totally bored and seemed disinterested often.

2. It feels like they just said "hey lets take EQ1 and give it better grpahics and we are set"... That may be great in theory but it is hard to capture the same feeling EQ had 20 years ago.

I don't believe anything has changed since Brad died.

did you like Everquest or Vanguard combat?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    TwoTubes said:
    Kyleran said:

Assuming we get to that point...my plan is to level up to restart to gain progeny rewards for the first 6 months to a year at least.  Do the progeny loop.

Maybe once the first expansion releases it will be time to take a break and try a few raids.  We willsee what the climate looks like a year or more down the line.
    The advantage of progeny will be so small it wont be worth the effort on leveling a char just to blow it up to make a better new char. 
    Kyleran
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Sovrath said:

I don't believe anything has changed since Brad died.

did you like Everquest or Vanguard combat?

I liked EQ more but maybe just because it was so new at that time....Today though? I don't think I would want to do it again.
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Kyleran said:

The advantage of progeny will be so small it wont be worth the effort on leveling a char just to blow it up to make a better new char. 
    Why do you think that?  I don't think progeny will end up being any more optional than perception.

CP is aware of how important the benefits that the progeny system provides to the game are. He knows that players will have to be well rewarded if they are going to sacrifice their main character and restart.
    With the removal of the mentor system progeny will be the only system that keeps a variety of zone levels populated.  It is the only system that diminishes the high end bottleneck.  Pantheon wont release with enough raids to support a healthy amount of high end raiders (unless they decide to go with instances or lockout timers and abandon the whole "open world" direction...which is a good possibility imo but not what has been presented to the community for the past 6 years).

We will see how the rewards end up.  I'm guessing they will end up being smaller than high end raid loot rewards but are designed in a way that they arent simply replaced in the long run like raid rewards.  We will see how it plays out.

If the rewards arent good enough to make people want to participate in the system not only is it a waste of development time but it will be the only thing that keeps the faster, more efficient players around long enough for VR to produce more content.

Kyleran
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Ive tried alot of games and left alot of games.  I always come back to EQ.  If this is a valid successor to EQ I will probably switch.
    edited June 2020
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Kyleran said:

Why do you think that?  I don't think progeny will end up being any more optional than perception.

CP is aware of how important the benefits that the progeny system provides to the game are. He knows that players will have to be well rewarded if they are going to sacrifice their main character and restart.
    With the removal of the mentor system progeny will be the only system that keeps a variety of zone levels populated.  It is the only system that diminishes the high end bottleneck.  Pantheon wont release with enough raids to support a healthy amount of high end raiders (unless they decide to go with instances or lockout timers and abandon the whole "open world" direction...which is a good possibility imo but not what has been presented to the community for the past 6 years).

We will see how the rewards end up.  I'm guessing they will end up being smaller than high end raid loot rewards but are designed in a way that they arent simply replaced in the long run like raid rewards.  We will see how it plays out.

If the rewards arent good enough to make people want to participate in the system not only is it a waste of development time but it will be the only thing that keeps the faster, more efficient players around long enough for VR to produce more content.

The devs clearly said the advantage from the system will be so small it will not unbalance the game, that not having a progeny char will not exclude you from any content or play style. 

https://pantheonriseofthefallen.gamepedia.com/Progeny_System

There will be incentives to create alternate characters through the Progeny System. Players will be able to 'retire' high level characters and then create their children as new level one characters. These new characters, the 'progeny', will have certain advantages; abilities, stats, etc. that make them slightly yet noticeably better than a completely brand new character -- but not to the point that it unbalances things.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Kyleran said:

The devs clearly said the advantage from the system will be so small it will not unbalance the game, that not having a progeny char will not exclude you from any content or play style. 

There will be incentives to create alternate characters through the Progeny System. Players will be able to 'retire' high level characters and then create their children as new level one characters. These new characters, the 'progeny', will have certain advantages; abilities, stats, etc. that make them slightly yet noticeably better than a completely brand new character -- but not to the point that it unbalances things.
    Honestly, that sounds like a very challenging, if not near impossible task but we'll have to wait to see how it all turns out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Kyleran said:

Honestly, that sounds like a very challenging, if not near impossible task but we'll have to wait to see how it all turns out.
    Simple question, on a game that let's you use limited amounts of skills on your hot bar. Would you use a skill that does not break game balance? The skill would need to be a marked improvement over the standard skills you get on a standard char. Not sure how VR will give an advantage that matters, especially with skills and not break game balance. 
    Kyleran
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Havent played EQ, not interested in EQ whatsoever.

Played Vanguard. Still missing Vanguard.

Will probably play Pantheon once its out, but I'm well prepared for being disappointed.

Nanfoodle
  • Nitro-1Nitro-1 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    My one thought....where is the Bard class? One the surface this game has it all, except the Bard.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Nanfoodle said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Kyleran said:

Simple question, on a game that let's you use limited amounts of skills on your hot bar. Would you use a skill that does not break game balance? The skill would need to be a marked improvement over the standard skills you get on a standard char. Not sure how VR will give an advantage that matters, especially with skills and not break game balance. 

I would take that FAQ with a grain of salt. Last I heard the specifics of the Progeny system were being reworked. They haven't answered any questions or said anything new about it in a long time.
    Kyleran
    --------------------------------------------
    edited June 2020
    Nanfoodle said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    TwoTubes said:
    Kyleran said:

I would take that FAQ with a grain of salt. Last I heard the specifics of the Progeny system were being reworked. They haven't answered any questions or said anything new about it in a long time.
    That Wiki is the official wiki for the game. Its listed as such on the Pantheon web site.  Have not seen anything about changes being mentioned yet.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    remsleep said:
    My personal thoughts:

Wait until launch, give it a try, then make a decision.

Wait until launch + 6-10 months is probably a safer approach.  I think that should give us a better view of the Pantheon product, either a thriving, vibrant, interesting game experience, or a deserted failure of broken promises.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Mendel said:
    remsleep said:
    My personal thoughts:

Wait until launch, give it a try, then make a decision.

Wait until launch + 6-10 months is probably a safer approach.  I think that should give us a better view of the Pantheon product, either a thriving, vibrant, interesting game experience, or a deserted failure of broken promises.

Even if the game ends up dying later, playing an MMO launch is usually a lot of fun!

So if your still interested in the game at that time, I wouldn't wait and miss that thrill.
    svann
    --------------------------------------------