Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should Final Fantasy XIV go buy to play now?

13»

Comments

• luouxmontluouxmont Member UncommonPosts: 6
    i've subbed for about 1200 days. i dont think i'll resub this time and i plan to stay off for at least a while. theres no privacy. you're always being watched. the devs consistently try to mindfck you - they know too much, they assume too much. you are subject to a lot of manipulation outside of your control. consent is not very much respected.

r.
    Buschkatze
  • berserkerc50berserkerc50 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited June 2020
    They just could make a Square-Enix-FF-MMO Subscription, and let the player choose what game to play FFXI or FFXIV.

Maybe they could pull more players, to play FFXI and FFXIV.

I know would be a impact, without the sub on the 2 games, but... keep the buy to play :) :p :p B)
    Buschkatze
  • grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Would I get to play? I bought the full game way back when it was a dumpster fire and never came back
    Buschkatze
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    grndzro said:
    Would I get to play? I bought the full game way back when it was a dumpster fire and never came back

That was a different game. They literally cancelled that one and remade it and launched FFXIV ARR. For those, like me, who played 1.0, we do get a discount on the sub. I only pay $9.99 for access.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited July 2020
    No way. FF14 is probably the most honest / straight forward MMO in terms of updates, expansions, and MTX. Changing the monetization to B2P would ruin that completely since the cash shop would likely be pushed HARD with a ton of new crap in it as well as game design changes due to said new crap. Not to mention that they don't need to, as the game is doing absolutely gangbusters and is always filled with players. If people don't feel like they have enough to do, they can stop their sub for a couple of months and come back later.

As for GW2 comparisons: GW2 cash shop is actually really bad for the game, not because of the items in it necessarily, but simply because it exists. Due to the conversion of gold > gems it means that literally everything in the game is calculated by "how much gold do i get from it?" in terms of rewards. Farming gold is not an exciting reward to earn. Cosmetics absolutely are, but most of the cosmetics in the game are purchased via the cash shop. The other cosmetics, the ones you earn in game...notice how there is always some sort of gold cost attached to earning the item? That is because gold is essentially money for them....since you can convert gems > gold. With all this in mind, this is why the design of the game is fundamentally flawed when it comes to rewards. Getting rewards is not fun when you can just buy all of them with real money. Yes. this includes stuff like legendary armor that you TECHNICALLY need to clear raid bosses for since you still need tons of gold for that as well. This is why GW2 never feels rewarding even though they fill up 100+ slots in your inventory with crap after an hour of farming some events. This is why it won't EVER feel rewarding as well and they will constantly be chasing around their own tail unable to grab it because that magical rewarding place might sometimes get within their grasp...but it is always going the other way because of the cash shop.
    GregorMcgregor[Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    lol this is a pretty old thread from a few years ago and not really relevant and worth the necro at this point. Obviously I've been playing for a few years now. This is one of the few games on the market I consider worth the sub fee.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Why change to buy to play when ALL servers( I tried them all) have queue cause of high pop every night. I tried them all cause I hate queue but it's quick usually less than a minute. Every game that went buy to play or free to play I quit right away cause it also becomes pay to win example: Rift I was avid subscriber until free to play and Lotro same subscriber until pay to win.
    Satimasu