Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Shell Devs Provide Explanation for Epic Games Store Exclusivity

2»

Comments

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Ridrith said:
    Anyone who won't buy a game because it's not on Steam doesn't really want to play it that bad to begin with, so who cares about those whining about that. It's not a difficult thing to create an account and to have two platforms that you can play games on.

Some people are so damned lazy that they'd rather cry about convenience when there's really nothing to whine about to begin with.

Bro, why won't you just install the Chinese government funded spyware with comically inept account security, bro? Come on, it's just a game store, bro!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sticking with Steam because most of my money is tied in with them?What do you think a purchase is,an investment in Steam,you get shares or something?

There are a LOT of store fronts out there,Steam and Epic are not the only ones.Furthermore where did the 20 million buy Wow from,oh yeah that scummy Blizzard app that ONLY has Blizzard games.

You couldn't buy Wow or Diablo or Starcarft on Steam but that was cool,it is only not cool when it is Epic.So many dam hypocrites.

Does everyone complaining only use one store in life?it takes a lot more effort to get outside and go to different stores than it does to click an internet storefront.people act like it is painful...whoa me,this is so tiring having to click Epic game store,i don't know if i can make it,i'm going to need a nap.

Exclusive rights have been happening in our world since forever,this is nothing new.Studios often bid or negotiate terms to get exclusive rights to make a game off a movie or a brand IP,a sports league etc etc.

Those living under a rock here is something to read https://www.marketing91.com/exclusive-distribution/

Sovrathalkarionlog

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    epic = fund indie game devs

steam = steal 30% of their income
    Not posting on Steam will cut their revenues drastically.  Dumb decision.
    GdemamialkarionlogIceAgeCaffynated
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Wizardry said:
    Sticking with Steam because most of my money is tied in with them?What do you think a purchase is,an investment in Steam,you get shares or something?

There are a LOT of store fronts out there,Steam and Epic are not the only ones.Furthermore where did the 20 million buy Wow from,oh yeah that scummy Blizzard app that ONLY has Blizzard games.

You couldn't buy Wow or Diablo or Starcarft on Steam but that was cool,it is only not cool when it is Epic.So many dam hypocrites.

Does everyone complaining only use one store in life?it takes a lot more effort to get outside and go to different stores than it does to click an internet storefront.people act like it is painful...whoa me,this is so tiring having to click Epic game store,i don't know if i can make it,i'm going to need a nap.

Exclusive rights have been happening in our world since forever,this is nothing new.Studios often bid or negotiate terms to get exclusive rights to make a game off a movie or a brand IP,a sports league etc etc.

Those living under a rock here is something to read https://www.marketing91.com/exclusive-distribution/

I don't play blizzard games for years, and when I did it was before they launcher, so yeah you are talking crazy here.

problem here is how shady is the store, I had problems with epic and I didn't even had a account there, and yes I don't play fortnight, or whatever.

for comparation origin is less annoying then epic store, so pretty much you are defending something WORSE then origin
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    edited June 2020
    Wizardry said:

If this was directed at me, do you just like to complain and start fights? If you read the rest of my message then I said I have bought games on Epic and I don't complain about the launchers I have to use...OR did you not feel like reading the rest. I even gave them a shout out by saying they offer awesome discounts and give away a lot of free games, or is it me saying I prefer to stay with steam the thing that rattled your bones? Guess people can't have an opinion. By saying most of my money is tied in with steam means I own a lot of games on  that launcher, and I like to keep them categorized. If I have the option to by it on steam I will take that route over Epic due to the amount of games already owned. 

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527

Aeander said:

Aeander said:

Well, my attitude towards the Souls-like fans being excluded due to platform preference will be the same as the Souls-like fans attitude towards people like me who are excluded due to a lack of basic difficulty settings. You know how that shit feels now.

Git. Gud. 

not really piracy is there for these reason you know

Those willing to pirate aren't worth being acknowledged as fans. And if you're willing to pirate over a free platform... you're far worse scum than you would accuse Epic of being.

People that will steal a game care not about who or where it is published. They would not buy the game no matter where it was at.

Neither here nor there on the issue of exclusivity...it is not good no matter who the publisher is.

Can not really blame the dev's...they are in this to make cash, so the publishers that give the most return will win, but that still does not mean the customers win on any exclusivity deal.

Not sure that the dev's win either...never a good idea to piss off some part of your possible customer base after all.

But it is one of those vague how can you tell which is the best way to go? Steam has the best structure for sure...but also comes at a cost. Oh well...i am too lazy and care too little to be to upset over this issue really:P

Gdemami
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Sandmanjw said:

Aeander said:

Aeander said:

Well, my attitude towards the Souls-like fans being excluded due to platform preference will be the same as the Souls-like fans attitude towards people like me who are excluded due to a lack of basic difficulty settings. You know how that shit feels now.

Git. Gud. 

Those willing to pirate aren't worth being acknowledged as fans. And if you're willing to pirate over a free platform... you're far worse scum than you would accuse Epic of being.

People that will steal a game care not about who or where it is published. They would not buy the game no matter where it was at.

Neither here nor there on the issue of exclusivity...it is not good no matter who the publisher is.

Can not really blame the dev's...they are in this to make cash, so the publishers that give the most return will win, but that still does not mean the customers win on any exclusivity deal.

Not sure that the dev's win either...never a good idea to piss off some part of your possible customer base after all.

But it is one of those vague how can you tell which is the best way to go? Steam has the best structure for sure...but also comes at a cost. Oh well...i am too lazy and care too little to be to upset over this issue really:P

Do you actually go out of your way to make the stupidest arguments possible?

I own hundreds of games that I've purchased. I've also pirated games from consoles because I'm not buying a closed system just because it has a monopoly on certain exclusive titles.

Either sell your product where I am willing to buy it, or go piss up a rope.
    AeanderGdemamiKyleran
  • druezdruez Member UncommonPosts: 120
    The Epic game store is an inferior offering. No discussion threads. No reviews. No curators. No Cloud Saves. I mean this is just to name a few things, there are other issues as well.

I don't want to have multiple stores running on my machine. Uplay, Origin, Steam, Battle.net, Epic etc... Its annoying.

In general, I want to use one. That one is steam.

No workshop, that is a big to me. I love mods.

Epic isn't very good. Not to mention it was down for most of the day when they released GTA V for free.

I've bought one game there and I regret it. I'm simply going to wait for games to come to steam, or I won't bother getting them.
    Kyleran
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Sandmanjw said:

I own hundreds of games that I've purchased. I've also pirated games from consoles because I'm not buying a closed system just because it has a monopoly on certain exclusive titles.

A thief is a thief...do you really think anyone will think you steal for moral reasons...how freaking stupid are you?

AeanderIselinKyleran
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Sandmanjw said:

Aeander said:

Aeander said:

Git. Gud. 

Mate. If you don't want to buy something for any reason, that is your right. If you want to voice that you are speaking with your wallet, that is also your right.

At no point do you have the right to steal a luxury good for any reason, period. Claiming to be your own personal Robin Hood is the dumbest argument possible. 
    SovrathKyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited June 2020
    Wizardry said:
    They absolutely made the right choice,why would anyone support a monopoly like Steam AND pay them more to do it.

STEAM offers NOTHING to the developer,Epic does at least offer a great game engine and to their customers using it/licensing it,they offer the benefits in $$$,exactly what a studio needs.

IDK why studios now have to explain and sound like they are sorry for doing the common sense thing,they are apologizing to people who have no clue why they are even complaining in the first place.
    You are missing the big picture here Wiz, what do I personally get or how do I benefit from having to purchase a game on Epic vs Steam.

I don't care a wit what benefits developers get, outside of offering me free games I'd never be interested in, what else is there?

I get a poorer storefront missing many of Steam's features which appears to suffer from significant security issues.

They aren't passing down any of the savings to the customer, near as I can tell, so why wouldn't I stay where it is more convenient, especially if there are few, if any benefits to ME, the customer?

Now, if the Epic store starts undercutting Steam by 20% or more, I'll reconsider.

Before you say it, yes, it really is all about me.

:D 

Cyber_wastelandSandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Aeander said:
    elveone said:

Phixion13 said:

Steal?

Steam decreases that % down to 25% for 10 million sold and 20% for 50 million sold. That also comes with: cloud saves, user profiles, user reviews, friend activity, forums, mod distribution, groups, item trading, library sorting, account sharing, streaming to other devices, broadcasting, screenshot capture/sharing, controller support, user-created guides, wish lists, automatic refunds, achievements, anti-cheat support, 3rd party keys, etc.

Sure its not that big of deal to simply buy from someone else, but gamer's of old will have issues with exclusives, tencent, ban from one game bans the account and not having these other features Steam provides.

I wouldnt have had an issue but my account with them was hacked twice and they straight up abandoned the road map to make their store better.

To each their own but I wouldn't say Steal.

Yeah, cause every small indie developer is able to sell over 300 000 copies of their game easily. Or 1.6 million copies to get the 20%. Valve are extremely generous, right? I bet at the point when an indie sells 1.6 million copies they would really appreciate the 4 million dollar they gave to valve as additional revenue percentage for the free forum.
    Also, if we're talking about platform benefits on the developer end, Epic includes the use of the Unreal engine in their 12% take as part of the exclusivity deal.

Nothing Steam provides to developers for 30% even remotely compares to getting one of the best and most ubiquitous engines in the industry for free.
    I'm not a developer charity, who cares what Epic does for devs, all that matters is what the storefront does for me.

As for funding small indie teams, no concern of mine, I feel 95% of all games are for crap, what do I care if some never see the light of day, there always will be another game to play.
    SovrathIselinGdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    elveone said:

Phixion13 said:

Steal?

Steam decreases that % down to 25% for 10 million sold and 20% for 50 million sold. That also comes with: cloud saves, user profiles, user reviews, friend activity, forums, mod distribution, groups, item trading, library sorting, account sharing, streaming to other devices, broadcasting, screenshot capture/sharing, controller support, user-created guides, wish lists, automatic refunds, achievements, anti-cheat support, 3rd party keys, etc.

Sure its not that big of deal to simply buy from someone else, but gamer's of old will have issues with exclusives, tencent, ban from one game bans the account and not having these other features Steam provides.

I wouldnt have had an issue but my account with them was hacked twice and they straight up abandoned the road map to make their store better.

Yeah, cause every small indie developer is able to sell over 300 000 copies of their game easily. Or 1.6 million copies to get the 20%. Valve are extremely generous, right? I bet at the point when an indie sells 1.6 million copies they would really appreciate the 4 million dollar they gave to valve as additional revenue percentage for the free forum.
    Also, if we're talking about platform benefits on the developer end, Epic includes the use of the Unreal engine in their 12% take as part of the exclusivity deal.

Nothing Steam provides to developers for 30% even remotely compares to getting one of the best and most ubiquitous engines in the industry for free.
    I'm not a developer charity, who cares what Epic does for devs, all that matters is what the storefront does for me.

As for funding small indie teams, no concern of mine, I feel 95% of all games are for crap, what do I care if some never see the light of day, there always will be another game to play.
    While I agree that Epic needs to improve its storefront features and security and focus more on direct player benefits, you're missing something.

A developer benefit IS a player benefit. If you like something, more financial stability for the studio that made it increases the chances that you the player will receive more of that thing.

Ideally, the balance is to maximize the financial security of the developer while minimizing the inconvenience to the player or damage to the integrity of the game. One could view pay to win lootboxes as the absolute maximum potential financial benefit to the developer, but also the absolute maximum negative impact to the player and game design.

The reason why I like exclusivity is that it provides substantial financial backing (creating some truly excellent games that otherwise would not exist) while having basically zero direct impact on game design. The catch, however, is that the platform itself should be good or at least properly functional. Epic is admittedly not, and neither is say... Stadia.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    elveone said:

Phixion13 said:

Steal?

Exactly.

The only kind of storefront wars that would interest me would be some old fashioned competition between Steam, Gog, Epic, Origin, etc. on the price they will sell the game to me for.

And I'm not talking about sales but regular everyday price.

We know that Epic charges developers less for their services. Some or a lot of that should be passed on to us. If it isn't then the Epic deal for developers is just irrelevant to consumers.

Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Be sure to thank Sweeney for the free copy.