Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Interview - Talking Combat, PvP and More With David Verfaillie

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageNew World Interview - Talking Combat, PvP and More With David Verfaillie

This past week, I had the distinct honor to sit down (over a video call) and talk with Amazon Game's David Verfaillie, the Head of Player Experience on New World, about Combat, Crafting, PvP, and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I don't know about you, but i'm pretty excited about New World. It seems like GW2 but with itemization of a "real" MMO. One thing I hated about GW2 is the lack of item grind. I know, there is .. for tiny more bonuses, or a grind for legendary items which .. again, are not powerful enough and are mostly used for cosmetics. Nothing against those who likes this system, but .. just saying it!

If I don't grind for items which at least, in a decent way, improves my game play, I..don't stick too much with that game! :)

I hope NW will shine in this category.
    ultimateduckAgeniPsym0nZenJellyIselin[Deleted User]

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269

IceAge said:

I don't know about you, but i'm pretty excited about New World. It seems like GW2 but with itemization of a "real" MMO. One thing I hated about GW2 is the lack of item grind. I know, there is .. for tiny more bonuses, or a grind for legendary items which .. again, are not powerful enough and are mostly used for cosmetics. Nothing against those who likes this system, but .. just saying it!

If I don't grind for items which at least, in a decent way, improves my game play, I..don't stick too much with that game! :)

I hope NW will shine in this category.

Agreed. I need a diverse and dynamic loot table. I can't stand everyone wearing the exact same thing at the end or grinding to get the next tier of the exact same item.
    SovrathWaanAgeniZenJelly[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    We are making combat more precise...."sounds amazing"...sad.

IMO they don't get it when comes to combat,not at all.
    A fire staff to do aoe,a Fire staff should be to support the element fire,you should be able to aoe with ANY element,i mean why wouldn't you?

3 weapon slots,again doesn't make any sense.Why not just exchange a weapon as you need ,if you are carrying a weapon on you,then use it.So it tells me there is no macro system in place.

First 10 levels are quick,we want them to experience the world.Yeah so what does that have to do with making levels pointless?We start in the open world at level 1 in just about every single game ever made.

Pvp will reward the p2w basis for faster currency to buy better gear to ....yep be better at pvp.So it's a RACE right out of the gate,scurry to get top end gear,own pvp,so not about skill but about racing to best gear.

So they went for a classless system and find it difficult to "balance"so we keep making changes,yep sounds like Blizzard.

"I don't know if any timelines or future content have been discussed"Who the heck are they talking to,sounds like a lackey sent out to butter up a product he knows little about.The interviewer was every bit as bad,EVERYTHING sounds great,sounds good.
    ArvenasZenJelly

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    gem sockets....sigh.

They just had to add an ARPG idea in to it to ruin it.

Someone mentions they don't like everyone wearing the same gear.You do realize there is a HUGE benefit to everyone RACING to end game,everyone will be wearing the same end game gear and those pvp'ing will get it the fastest.
    There is also a huge benefit to racing to the most difficult area to attain the best drops and like the best harvesting as well.
    The whole game is designed to be a race,they haven't learned anything about the enjoyment of the ride,the adventure.

How fast will this race be?I would say a maximum of 1- 2 weeks then there will be the first wave of dominant players with the best end game gear,best gem slots,best crafting.

They mentioned "nobody is forming a monopoly"on a certain area/resource,umm the game hasn't started yet ..lol.

ultimateduckZenJelly

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jungmtsjungmts Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Combat is boring and you have basically access to only three skills at a time since all weapons share global cooldown. The weapon mastery tree is made of 2 sections, each one has basically 3 activable skills and an ultimate, the rest are passives. So you have three skill slots and 3 skills to choose from. Don't know how poeple will want to play this in 2020.
    [Deleted User]YashaXbcbullyAgenivelimiriusZenJelly
    Wizardry said:
    gem sockets....sigh.

They just had to add an ARPG idea in to it to ruin it.

Someone mentions they don't like everyone wearing the same gear.You do realize there is a HUGE benefit to everyone RACING to end game,everyone will be wearing the same end game gear and those pvp'ing will get it the fastest.
    There is also a huge benefit to racing to the most difficult area to attain the best drops and like the best harvesting as well.
    The whole game is designed to be a race,they haven't learned anything about the enjoyment of the ride,the adventure.

How fast will this race be?I would say a maximum of 1- 2 weeks then there will be the first wave of dominant players with the best end game gear,best gem slots,best crafting.

They mentioned "nobody is forming a monopoly"on a certain area/resource,umm the game hasn't started yet ..lol.

Jesus dude, take a breath.

Warhammer Online and Rift are examples of loot systems that I don't like. Everyone was wearing the same armor and using the same weapon as everyone else. They PvPd to get to the next tier of whatever set they have. To me, that's lame.

DAoC and SWG are examples of loot systems that I do like. While various pieces of equipment was the same, it took a mix of sets, artifacts, player crafted and RoG items to get a template you wanted.

I don't care if people raced to get there. If they get there and everyone is wearing the exact same gear, it will suck. If they aren't, it won't suck.

YashaXZenJelly
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited June 2020
    PvE guys don’t care. They want tab targeting and cool AI dances to perform.
    Post edited by bcbully on
    ZenJelly
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    SkitzoX said:

Vast majority of the players in alpha are all wearing the same gear. There are other sets that look more unique but they suck in comparison. They did implement all sorts of horrible dye colors so the weapons and armor everyone’s wearing look wiked out of place in the setting. Even the faction gear is all the same visually regardless which tier or which faction you belong to.
    Well that kinda sucks

ZenJelly
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Wait a moment.. so they don't have daggers and when it comes to magic there is only life staff and fire staff? It looks like half a game...
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited June 2020
    I didn't read all of it have to rush off to PSO2 but the part about blocking and dodging means I cannot play. I'm terrible at this type of combat. 
    ZenJelly
    Chamber of Chains
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    i played the first very first alpha.. and tried it recently again..

imo.. this game will be hyped to the teeth by amazon through marketing..

but the combat is utterly bad..

i have no seen any adjustments to their combat system in making it more challanging..

I forsee.. many will buy this because of the hype.. but it will die so fast..

max 500 players per server..

mmo?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    @SkitzoX

Curious about combat animations. I read here a while back that you're animation-locked and rooted in place until the combat animation finishes. How do they work reactive defensive skills like dodges, blocks and side-stepping into that? 
    ultimateduck
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    QSatu said:
    Wait a moment.. so they don't have daggers and when it comes to magic there is only life staff and fire staff? It looks like half a game...
    Devil's advocate: but why?

Why do they have to have other magics? Of course, this is coming from someone who would love to see a game that toned down magic.

I don't see why it has to be "frost, lightning, fire, blah blah blah."

Not having daggers seems weird but then again, would you really use daggers in a fight with swords and spears unless you also had a longer weapon? That does get into how faux realistic they wanted to be.

YashaX
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited June 2020
    Ah...when will it have it? Have what? Anything. Because not me but a friend of a friend said the alpha is just utterly terrible with nothing to do and mechanics still tied to their previous version of full loot survival game elements. Also he said the game just feels like they tacked on the mmorpg aspect of things like quests and called it a day without doing anything. They said gear is tiered without any unique stats, prefixes or affixes....a remenant of ease of access when it was full loot. The game as one poster put it "half a game" isn't accurate. Its more like 1/100th a game according to this friend. Think albion online except the pieces aren't unique and only scale up like 2% in stats with each tier....and you can't lose it, ever.

I heard the game launches in August so about a month and a half of non existent changes(Or miracle patches) that he said the fanbois in game tell him will happen because its "alpha".

This friend said the game is absolultely going to f-ing die at launch and the developers are idiots to change the scope, concept and design of the game so late it it's development cycle, while retaining all the mechanics and designs based on that previous game's scope. They said there is absolutely nothing endearing or even fun about the game and the developers trying to peddle this trash should feel ashamed at the state its in. This friend thinks Amazon dev studio is going to be shut down because they don't know what the hell they are doing and should have never hired Smedely, also we hate to see how they mangle their actual MMORPG LOTR.

MurderHerd

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I really dont like the classes systems. Oh well. I hope this game is amazing and lasting.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I had a hard time getting past all the typos and bad grammar in this article. Did the author even read what he wrote? It's atrocious.
    Psym0nZenJellyBlackAdder77IselinNaitakal

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Wait and See time.
    ultimateduckZenJelly

• ArvenasArvenas Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I really want to like this game, I do. But it's so hard to like. I really like doing both PvP and PvE, and prefer a game to be both. But if you decide to have a PvP game you can't suddenly make it a PvE game while gameplay still is designed for PvP. Every element of the game feels designed for PvP, which would be cool, if they hadn't decided to remove the actual PvP. Interview is such a load of bullshit. The features he's trying to promote as fun are all so obviously designed for a full PvP gameplay experience. New World just feels like chaos atm. Not knowing where they want to go or what they want to do.

"I think we want to try to support a player driven economy and we have a trading post that is localized per territory where players can put up goods for sale and other players can buy them."

Oh, so he thinks they want to TRY to support a player driven economy? Good thing they think they know what they want couple of months before launch.

"buying stuff up North, bringing it down South to sell it. I think that's sort of a cool element of the game."

Really just sounds like something waiting for a quality of life update. So obviously designed for PvP, how would anyone stop you from having these caravans, which at the current state just would be boring and time consuming? Same logic with rare resources in the north. It will just be a race to get up there and farm before everyone else, not like you can stop other people from farming it without PvP. Not like it matters anyway I guess. Just kill a few bosses to farm up gear in the end and crafting is made useless. Maybe if players would lose some items at death or something, and crafting could matter again. Oh wait.

PvP has just been nerfed into boring PvE quests with the risk of getting ganked and "Epic Wars"- They're hyping up the castle seiges so much, like if everything else in this game goes to shit, there is always the castle seiges.

"Yeah, I'd say there's four big avenues for endgame PvE we already have" - Just such an obvious lie. The great thing about closed alpha tests, nobody will know your lies and stop you from hyping and promoting a product. "So definitely preorder the game."

If you're making a PvP game you can't remove the PvP! And if you change your mind and make it a PvE game, that's fine, but you need gameplay designed for PvE, not PvP. Can't belive this is the best such a big company can come up with.

If I had a friend of a friend who played all the MMOs and survivals up til now, good and bad, always hyped and pre-ordered, and let down over and over again, it would still be safe to assume he still never had been so dissapointed by a game than what he recently found in the alpha of New World.

YashaXkillerqueer
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Sovrath said:
    QSatu said:
    Devil's advocate: but why?

Why do they have to have other magics? Of course, this is coming from someone who would love to see a game that toned down magic.

I don't see why it has to be "frost, lightning, fire, blah blah blah."

Not having daggers seems weird but then again, would you really use daggers in a fight with swords and spears unless you also had a longer weapon? That does get into how faux realistic they wanted to be.

I like playing mage characters and  actually hate the boring magic systems in many new games where mages only summon fire, frost and lightning abilities. I actually want a DnD mages where they can do so much more but it's apparently too complicated for modern devs. 
    Still having 2 mage weapons means you will have like 4-6 abilities total? Hardly a satisfying gameplay option for someone like me.
    ZenJellyYashaX
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited June 2020
    Not even remotely interested. Had already cancelled by free pre-order when they turned it into a survival game, now it's just trash upon trash. Come on Pantheon, I need you now more than ever as I'm sick of being let down in the MMORPG market.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Looks boring to me.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    When i first heard that amazon was making an mmo i was super excited
    I mean the worlds richest going to game bussiness how cool is that
    But now that i see their results all my hype is gone an indy company could have done just as good or even better
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Remali said:
    When i first heard that amazon was making an mmo i was super excited
    I mean the worlds richest going to game bussiness how cool is that
    But now that i see their results all my hype is gone an indy company could have done just as good or even better
    Well, we shall see. I mean many of the developers did come from A.Net and other game developers. 

I am not buying into the negative or positive either way.
    ultimateduck

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I'd rather give the money to a struggling indie than to Amazon.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    DMKano said:
    Albatroes said:

Looks boring to me.

Looks more than boring - looks exactly how it currently is - it's a crap game.

The performance in 50v50 is downright atrocious.

Literally every player has the same heavy armor with same traits and same gear - it's sad how clueless Amazon studio is.

I mean not really expecting much when they don't even know what dual wield is:

This needs to be a thread all on its own. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"