Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Raph Koster game tries to please everyone?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
edited June 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Ut oh, here we go again:  "Koster also seeks to make the game someplace where explorers, player killers, socializers, and killers can co-exist or even find some interdependencies."

If they plan to put PK directly in the mix with everyone else, it will be a mess, as always.  Hopefully, PvP will be completely optional.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/06/14/raph-koster-touches-on-the-technology-and-community-that-will-bring-playable-worlds-mmo-to-life/#comments
bcbullyalkarionlogAzaron_Nightblade

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Goals are good, maybe in 10 yrs we'll see how it all turns out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Raph needs to stop by a tropical fish store and read up on community fish versus aggressive fish. Put them in a tank together and it's pure carnage.
    MightyUncleaniixviiiixKyleranAlBQuirkycheyaneSailorMomAzaron_NightbladeNyghthowler

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Amathe said:
    Raph needs to stop by a tropical fish store and read up on community fish versus aggressive fish. Put them in a tank together and it's pure carnage.
    But it's probably great fun for the aggressive fish, until there are no more community fish left.
    AmatheAlBQuirkySailorMomAzaron_NightbladeNyghthowler
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited June 2020
    Lmafo go go Ralph!

Let them eat cake  ;) eeer SoL Pantheon for the anti-pvprs
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There was never a reason his name gave me any excitement about a video game.If there was,i would actually know what game he was involved with and i don't.
    So i looked SWG...ummm there is a reason i didn't have any interest to play that game.

I am not sure if many of these developers understand game design or just good at designing theories or are bad at it but believe some success in the box office equates to being good at your job.

The funny thing about success is you could have two identical products,the second actually being of slightly better material/grade and the first is still the more popular.There is seldom a lot of sense from anything in gaming.

When i look at games or try to rate them,the first thing i do is think about the design "does it  work" and how much effort went into the systems.Those are my two main criteria then of course everything else comes after that,like graphics,lighting etc etc.

Long story short,i am not the least surprised this Kosterdude doesn't understand pvp with pve DOES NOT work because i am seeing the same mistake over and over.Most of the industry has people that are better at selling a product,monetising a product and the business side of the operation than the yare about game play.
    Kyleranalkarionlog

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2020
    I can point to a game i enjoy ATLAS,even after 95% of the players left,the dev team is STILL trying to push their agenda,STILL believe their ideas are correct ..lol.

Most of us continue to play on private servers or our own server,we cannot play what the devs are selling,they truly haven't a clue.

There could be 1 player left and they would still try and push their agenda.They ruined 90% of the game trying to cater to pvp,we don't like pets,they ruin pvp,we don't like large  cannons on ships,it is too easy in pvp,cry cry ,nerf nerf,game ruined.Thank god we can change the settings and make the game we want to play and ignore the developers stupidity.

Koster is the type of developer i would ignore,i would not play his game.IMO the main reason devs keep aiming for pvp is it facilitates a cash shop where as a pve game does not.
    cheyane

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Wizardry said:
    There was never a reason his name gave me any excitement about a video game.If there was,i would actually know what game he was involved with and i don't.
    So i looked SWG...ummm there is a reason i didn't have any interest to play that game.

He was pretty important in developing systems that people really liked.

Ultima Online (lead designer)
    EverQuest 2 (creative director)
    SWG (creative director)

He is a 'thinker' and really has had some great points and discussions on how players interact with systems, worlds and each other.

Kyleran[Deleted User]Vermillion_RaventhalNyteWytch

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

For anyone who has been living under a rock the past 20 years.

He even visits this site from time to time.

He definitely knows a thing or three about game design.

”Raph Koster is a veteran game designer who has been professionally credited in almost every area of the game industry. He's been the lead designer and director of massive titles such as Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies; and he's contributed writing, art, soundtrack music, and programming to many more titles ranging from Facebook games to single-player titles for handheld consoles.

Koster is widely recognized as one of the world's top thinkers about game design, and is an in-demand speaker at conferences all over the world. In 2012, he was named an Online Game Legend at the Game Developers Conference Online. Visit his blog at www.raphkoster.com.”

[Deleted User]GdemamibcbullySailorMom

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited June 2020
    The problem with PK mixed in PVE is , what's reward for us to hunt down killers ? and what killer willing to risk when they chose to become killer ?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I love exploring but if there is PK in the game I won't even give it a look.
    AlBQuirkycheyanebcbullyMendel
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Rhoklaw said:
    Amathe said:
    But it's probably great fun for the aggressive fish, until there are no more community fish left.
    That's when they are forced to fight people that actually want to PvP, in which case is too much trouble and then the game dies.

Not "trouble", but rather too much of a challenge :)
    cheyaneKyleranbcbully[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Amathe said:
    I had many tropical and marine fish tanks when I was younger and we lived in places where I didn't need to pay an arm and a leg for them.

When I was in university I lived in some lecturer's quarters which are these old colonial houses in Malaysia with a separate servants' quarters which they rent out to students. I had so many tanks the lecturer had to make me pay more for electricity. I wasn't paying rent just utilities.

Anyway I had large tanks once I was working and able to afford more and I kept Kribensis with other more placid fishes. Everything went alright until they had batches of fry. Then all hell broke lose.
    Amathe
    Chamber of Chains
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Rhoklaw said:
    Amathe said:
    That's when they are forced to fight people that actually want to PvP, in which case is too much trouble and then the game dies.
    That’s what people who are bad at the game tell themselves so the can sleep at night...
    [Deleted User]Nyghthowler
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    I find it most telling that he is regarded mostly as a "thinker". So was Karl Marx.
    AlBQuirkyMendel

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Ut oh, here we go again:  "Koster also seeks to make the game someplace where explorers, player killers, socializers, and killers can co-exist or even find some interdependencies."

If they plan to put PK directly in the mix with everyone else, it will be a mess, as always.  Hopefully, PvP will be completely optional.

What is "killers" as a playing style, anyway ?

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Amathe said:
    I think Last Oasis players have finally realised that.  The Devs... not so much.  :D
    bcbully said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Amathe said:
    That’s what people who are bad at the game tell themselves so the can sleep at night...
    Which is what people who believe such tell themselves after yet another PVP MMORPG dies a quick death.

:D 

delete5230AlBQuirky[Deleted User]bcbullyNyteWytchNyghthowler

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    For those of us who don't follow these things, what game are we talking about?
    AlBQuirky
    Scot said:
    For those of us who don't follow these things, what game are we talking about?
    There isn't one yet, Raph's new start up Playable World's is planning on creating a new virtual world, sandbox style MMO where everyone theoretically will be able to just "get along."

See you in 2030.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]ScotAlBQuirkystrawhat0981

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    He's probably seeing the money that SC is raking in without having a game and wants a piece of that action.
    WhiteLantern
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm still a fan of Raph Koster and I think his approach to this new game is a good one. Like others in this thread, I am worried that the game might turn into a science experiment, but I am also hopeful that he has learnt that lesson from Metaverse.

On the subject of trying to create an MMORPG for multiple playstyles, I am fully in support of that goal. In fact, I view it as essential for long term success. Why?

First, humans are fickle! We struggle to concentrate on single tasks for any length of time, our moods change, as do our interests. If a game hopes to retain us for months or years, it needs to provide a variety of activities, otherwise we'll just quit when we inevitably get bored / burned out with the few activities that are there. Providing a bredth of activities will give us something to do and keep us in game for longer.

Second, diverse communities are the strongest. This is true in real life as well as in mmos. One of the reasons for this (and this is a lesson Raph learned from UO) is that group identity is just as much about what you are opposed to as what you have in common. If you have a common enemy (PvPers) then your group (PvEers) will be stronger. Without that opposition, human beings will inevitably find faults within their own groups, resulting in less cohesion (and thus less retention for the game).

Third, this is the massively multiplayer genre. The goal is to bring as many people together as possible and get them playing together. This is best facilitated by building a strong community where the members of that community feel comfortable playing together. Focusing on community, building those social bonds, not only makes good business sense but will improve the multiplayer aspect of the game.

Finally, it just makes good business sense to make a game that can appeal to a very wide range of players. This is obviously based on the assumption that you can actually deliver features that are enjoyable to a wide range of players, which is far from a given. Plenty have tried and failed, but I think Raph managed to get pretty close to this in SWG, so he stands a better chance than most in achieving this goal.

On the PvP front, I personally won't play an MMO unless it has PvP in it. However, I wouldn't worry about Raph putting in non-consenaul PvP (I also wouldn't play if the pvp was non-consensual). Raph spent years trying to figure out how to make it work in UO and couldn't, which is why SWG had flagging. Raph's already learnt his lesson on FFA PvP, so unless he's somehow figured out some genius way to make it work now, chances are the PvP will always be consensual. It is my hope (given the virtual world design) that the PvP will occur in the open world and not be instanced. So, yeh, im expecting another flagging system of some sort.
    GdemamiAlBQuirkyBeatnik59
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Raph will have 3 new ideas at a time. One great, one bad, and one silly. All three end up in the game. You have to make your own judgment about that.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Amathe said:
    Raph will have 3 new ideas at a time. One great, one bad, and one silly. All three end up in the game. You have to make your own judgment about that.
    The good, the bad and the ugly? :)
    AmatheKyleranSovrath[Deleted User]AlBQuirkycheyaneTheocritusNyghthowler
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:
    The good, the bad and the ugly? :)

SovrathAlBQuirkyachesomaTheocritusBeatnik59

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nowhere have they said that their idea of co-existence is OWPvP. A game like DAoC had something for all types of player as well as interdependence.

I think you guys are letting your imagination and bias run wild based on some pretty generic pre-production statements.

All we really know is that Raph and Co. have an MMO in the works and that even the most rudimentary details won't be revealed until sometime next year.

If you want to be critical at this stage criticize announcing a future announcement because that's all we have so far.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyVermillion_RaventhalMadFrenchieMendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED