Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers are ditching Radeon graphics cards over driver issues (Specifically Navi)

Comments

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 755
    I think the simple fact is this time around it is very prevalent and obviously a large portion of owners have issues. The proof is really there on a level that is massive in scale. AMD drivers are simply not as robust as Nvidia’s and are simply more susceptible to hardware tweaks and changes. 

This doesn’t bode well for AMD’s next card iteration. It can be the fastest ever but if the drivers make it susceptible two things that aren’t an issue with Nvidia’s, then bottom line, I’m going to think more than twice for a purchase consideration.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    They all look the same to me.
    Ridelynn
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,183
    edited March 10
    @Narug

If you watch the hardware unboxed video their poll, 48% of Radeon owners reported experiencing driver issues, while only 22% of nvidia owners did. Meanwhile, the retailers they've spoken to reported rx 5000 cards had a 5x higher RMA rate than Turing, and they struggled to reproduce the reported problems implying driver issues rather than hardware. On the flipside neither Steve nor Tim encountered any issues while testing beyond some hiccups during driver installs. Their conclusion was that they'd struggle to recommend AMD graphics cards when competing nvidia ones have similar fps/$.

Even AMD made a statement -
    “ Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.

An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when performing parallel actions such as web browsing, gaming or watching video.

An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when the system is left idle at desktop.“

Here is the follow up video from 3 days ago

https://youtu.be/ptDRxBxwUfU

From their polls 20% now are saying they are still seeing issues but a larger portion said the latest drivers fixed either their issue or most of their issues.

I am really happy to hear this. You need to take a look at what I said I’ve expressed that both companies have issues with their drivers and I’ve experience both firsthand. The problem with this Navi driver issue Is that it has been going on for a long time. I watch hardware unboxed and I saw the poll with many thousands of people acknowledging their issues.

Sorry your fanboy heart got hurt with my bringing this to attention. 

OzmodanGdemami

edited March 11
    @AmazingAvery ;

Sorry had to work & take a nap from said work

Yeah about that video which I guess you beat me to posting first.

The whole wording of the poll can make someone suspicious 

Note that previous 1st video the gentleman said they have a rig themselves with a ATI card at home & have no issues & it’s repeated here.

The gentleman even breaks it down because even he has to secretly feel the gig is up.  

Around 45% of Navi owners believe their issues are fixed.

35% had no issues to begin with.  None.

I think the pool in the water is starting to drain..

Alot had no issues with previous ATI GPUs.

You site retailers but OEMs have no higher RMA issues around 12:40ish

Versus the fireball boards of Nvidia's side I mentioned (If you dig on the 2 series you'll see early adopters or not it's no excuse for either/any company)

On a side note, Hardware Unboxed gives me more distrust when they are obviously plugging a 3rd part utility & seem to scorn the companies that refuse to support such utility...

I don't doubt issues by both sides but do doubt a large portion did/had.
    Post edited by Narug on

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

Look instead of having a non-reproducable issue lets look at one that was reproduced. 

This guy did the work for Nvidia.

part 2

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    @Narug

If you watch the hardware unboxed video their poll, 48% of Radeon owners reported experiencing driver issues, while only 22% of nvidia owners did. Meanwhile, the retailers they've spoken to reported rx 5000 cards had a 5x higher RMA rate than Turing, and they struggled to reproduce the reported problems implying driver issues rather than hardware. On the flipside neither Steve nor Tim encountered any issues while testing beyond some hiccups during driver installs. Their conclusion was that they'd struggle to recommend AMD graphics cards when competing nvidia ones have similar fps/$.

Even AMD made a statement -
    “ Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.

An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when performing parallel actions such as web browsing, gaming or watching video.

An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when the system is left idle at desktop.“

Here is the follow up video from 3 days ago

https://youtu.be/ptDRxBxwUfU

From their polls 20% now are saying they are still seeing issues but a larger portion said the latest drivers fixed either their issue or most of their issues.

I am really happy to hear this. You need to take a look at what I said I’ve expressed that both companies have issues with their drivers and I’ve experience both firsthand. The problem with this Navi driver issue Is that it has been going on for a long time. I watch hardware unboxed and I saw the poll with many thousands of people acknowledging their issues.

Sorry your fanboy heart got hurt with my bringing this to attention. 

Oh that is complete nonsense.  I know no one with any AMD graphical issues at all and I have built a bunch of them.  Stop spreading fake news!

AmazingAvery
    edited March 18
    Oh that is complete nonsense.  I know no one with any AMD graphical issues at all and I have built a bunch of them.  Stop spreading fake news!

There were close to 50,000 people that voted on that poll I linked. Thousands said they had problems.
    AMD issued acknowledging statements.
    RMA’s were up among cards makers.
    ^those are all true statements

Overall that’s quite a bit more than Billy and his 5 mates.

The only reason why I posted this was because of how widespread and populous it was. After the last driver update as mentioned, it thankfully reduced the amount of people reporting problems significantly but not eliminated. Stop denying this.
    Post edited by AmazingAvery on
    OzmodanGdemami

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,061
    An online poll....

not saying it’s fake news, but you can write a script to cast 50,000 votes in a forum poll in about 10 minutes.

thats before you get into trolls voting to be trolls, and other issues.

NarugOzmodan
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 360
    Happens to me when watching videos full screen... 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,127
    I assume that you're talking about the same sort of Internet polls as showed Ron Paul getting elected president in a landslide.
    kitaradOG_ZorvanOzmodan
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,957
    edited March 18
     :D I edited out what I had said realised I had made a mistake.

• xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,686
    edited March 18
    AmazingAvery said:

There were close to 50,000 people that voted on that poll I linked. Thousands said they had problems.
    AMD issued acknowledging statements.
    RMA’s were up among cards makers.
    ^those are all true statements

Overall that’s quite a bit more than Billy and his 5 mates.

The only reason why I posted this was because of how widespread and populous it was. After the last driver update as mentioned, it thankfully reduced the amount of people reporting problems significantly but not eliminated. Stop denying this.

working your magic fingers like you did for Age of Conan, Did you know in Age of Conan right now, there is probably less then 100 people on, you did such a great job selling people on that failed game. I guess that is all that matter selling it ,, regardless of facts.

As someone who has used AMD for the last 15 years, your post  bullcrap.  Grabbing like 100 posts of people with problems, linking some NVDA fan boy poll, get the  out here 

I am forwarding this post to AMD.
    Post edited by xD_Gaming on
    AmazingAveryGdemami
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
    xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
    "Dragons are tilly folly !"
    xD_Gaming said:

And what exactly is that supposed to do?
    Panther2103
    edited March 18
    Quizzical said:
    xD_Gaming said:

dissinformation is becoming an old  tool for nvda. Every post should be forwarded when false positive analytics is in play. 

It isn't about the post as much as the meta data the post generates. 

if it can be determines a pattern of meta data is being generated by specific poeple, I think that is pretty important information to have. Instead of these people hiding on a forum creating and building  meta data that is not 100% accurate to a any product.

Alot of people are still in the 1990's in terms of internet use,need to wake up and realize how data us used in the 21st century.

Gdemami
    Narug said:
    Look instead of having a non-reproducable issue lets look at one that was reproduced. 

This guy did the work for Nvidia.

part 2

#ripRTX2080
    edited March 18
    xD_Gaming said:
    Quizzical said:
    xD_Gaming said:

dissinformation is becoming an old  tool for nvda. Every post should be forwarded when false positive analytics is in play. 

It isn't about the post as much as the meta data the post generates. 

if it can be determines a pattern of meta data is being generated by specific poeple, I think that is pretty important information to have. Instead of these people hiding on a forum creating and building  meta data that is not 100% accurate to a any product.

Alot of people are still in the 1990's in terms of internet use,need to wake up and realize how data us used in the 21st century.

OzmodanxD_Gaming
    xD_Gaming said:

As someone who has used AMD for the last 15 years, your post  bullcrap.  Grabbing like 100 posts of people with problems, linking some NVDA fan boy poll, get the  out here 

That's cute mate. I've been using ATI/AMD since I bought a Rage card back in 1996. I've also owned Nvidia since early 2000's and I can tell you for a fact I have had a harder time with AMD cards with issues. I can also tell you that I've had the best experiences with ATI cards from a performance perspective.  I have a 5700XT right now in one machine and for about 7 months I have had the worst experiences with the black screen issue A LOT. 

You know nothing!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,061
    xD_Gaming said:

That's cute mate. I've been using ATI/AMD since I bought a Rage card back in 1996. I've also owned Nvidia since early 2000's and I can tell you for a fact I have had a harder time with AMD cards with issues. I can also tell you that I've had the best experiences with ATI cards from a performance perspective.  I have a 5700XT right now in one machine and for about 7 months I have had the worst experiences with the black screen issue A LOT. 

You know nothing!
    It’s your PSU
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,254
    AMD has had hardware and driver issues since Vega. But these issues have been minor. With the inadequate coolers, I am speaking from experience. The Vega Frontier Edition does not have proper cooling and the recommended power is fairly steep. I was able to correct its cooling issues with a water cooling loop. Now it's the beast it was always designed to be.
    They also have driver issues specifically for the Vega Frontier Edition and probably soon for the VII. The Frontier Edition was suppose to support both professional and gaming drivers. At first you could save up to 4 drivers and switch between them with a reboot. Now you can only use a single professional driver that they update quarterly.
    I attribute these issues with being an early adopter on a low volume product.
    I think the same issue is present in the 5700 with its blower cooler and how power hungry it is. 
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,337
    edited June 9
    I left team red after my 290x because of all those repetitive small issues AMD cards have that add up into nuisances. Black screens, incompatibility with browser hardware acceleration, etc... I'm with team green now and not only do I have superior performance, but also none of those annoying problems. I'm not looking back anytime soon, and this comes from an ex heavy AMD user for both CPU and GPU.
    Ozmodan
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,396
    Even my shitty work computer is affected by this. AMD is dead to me.
    Ozmodan

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Your work computer uses a Navi GPU?  That seems unlikely.
    Ozmodan
    Quizzical said:
    Amathe said:

The issues I listed don't affect only Navi.
    They affected generations of AMD cards and where never really fixed.
    Ozmodan
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited June 9
    Quizzical said:
    Amathe said:

Again, sorry you had problems with your AMD cards, I have not yet had any returned to me that I installed and I have installed a bunch.  Most probably it was the brand of your card.  You are trying to make a mountain out of a minuscule problem IMO.  If there was a major issue with them, there would be articles about it,  I have not seen one.
    Gdemami
    edited June 9
    Ozmodan said:
    Quizzical said:
    Amathe said:

Again, sorry you had problems with your AMD cards, I have not yet had any returned to me that I installed and I have installed a bunch.  Most probably it was the brand of your card.  You are trying to make a mountain out of a minuscule problem IMO.  If there was a major issue with them, there would be articles about it,  I have not seen one.

I had different brands, on different motherboard/cpu combos, and the incompatibility problem with browser video acceleration and also the flash plugin, but also other desktop applications using video acceleration, always came back. And it was a known issue for AMD cards, it just ended being "accepted" and people turned off acceleration.

My HD4890 had it, and so did my 290x. On an AMD CPU based rig (1100T black edition and the 4 core one before I don't remember the exact ref) as well as on an Intel based one (various CPUs starting with a 4790k, along with different motherboards) for the 290x.
    When I replaced my 290x with the 980 ti, without even changing or reinstalling anything else (same MB, same CPU, same RAM, same OS, etc...), that problem never occurred again.

I don't want to have to turn off acceleration features of my rig just because of some buggy drivers. And when your screen turns black in the middle of a game because you left a couple of browser windows open with acceleration, then to me, it's not a minor issue, even if it happens once a week it's a damned nuisance.

A real life friend has the same problems of black screens on games like WoW (aka not very demanding games) with his HD7770 card, and it also disappeared once he moved to nVidia. Strange coincidence. Note that I didn't build or install any of his rig, and never even touched his computer.

Those stats don't lie. AMD drivers ARE more buggy than the nVidia ones. There's a reason why my company, professionally, only uses nVidia cards. Reliability. What is acceptable to the random dude who is maybe short on money and goes AMD for the price is not acceptable for anyone using his computer more seriously up to professionally.

PS: I still have my pre-production sample of the first Radeon, and I have fond memories of that card. Great hardware back then.

PS2: you are right about brands of course, for both AMD and nVidia. My company always uses Asus cards after testing many and having bad RMA experiences with them. Sapphire, Gigabyte (which are excellent for motherboards) MSI... all have higher RMA than Asus. And don't get me started on the other sub par brands.
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on