Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games I beat in the first 6 months

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,841
With the year half way over I thought it was time that I put the games that beat so far this year from December to May. I played a lot more games then I usually do, due in part to quarantine. 

December 19th 2019: Ori and The Blind Forest   9/10

December 23rd 2019: Devil May Cry 5       4/10

January 3rd, 2020: Shovel Knight   7/10

March 17th, 2020:  Ori and the Will of the Wisps 9.5/10

March 19th, 2020: Asura’s Wrath  8.5/10

April 19th, 2020 :  Final Fantasy 7 Remake Part 1  8.5/10

April 29, 2020: Chrono Trigger  6/10

I know Chrono Trigger is a well loved game but I just couldn't get into. I blame it partly on Final Fantasy 7 R though. The entire time I was playing I was like that scene would have been so cool remade or that I wish more people reacted to have a robot in my party, betting that if it had FFR style remake NPC's probably would.

May 7th, 2020: Assassins Creed  6/10

May 24th, 2020: Mafia 2 Remastered 8/10

May 29th, 2020: Minecraft Dungeons 8.5/10

I am currently working on Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive edition and Siralim 3. Both games that I am enjoying immensely. Siralim 3 is what Pokemon could be right now. Pretty soon I will be cracking up Last of Us Part 2 (and despite the spoilers) I am excited to see how it plays out myself. The game will take 40 hours to complete the story and I have faith in Naughty Dog.
Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

AlBQuirkyKyleran

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 5,954
    edited June 3
    Games I've beaten in the first 6 months:

Trails in the Sky FC
    Trails in the Sky SC
    Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate
    Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
    Final Fantasy 7 Remake
    Fire Emblem 3 Houses - Verdant Wind path
    Fire Emblem 3 Houses - Ashen Wolves DLC

I think that's everything. I don't keep meticulous lists. 
    Post edited by Aeander on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,365
    Games I've played in the last 8 months

Fallout 76 -1500+ hrs, still going strong.
    Disco Elysium - 3 hrs and set aside, too weird, not enough shooting.

Still think folks playing dozens upon dozens of games a year are doing it wrong.

;) 
    deniter

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,058
    Kentucky Route Zero (final episode)
    Nier: Automata

I'm near the true end of bloodstained: ritual of the night but I stopped having fun so probably skipping out on that one.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,394
    LOTRO - less than an hour

I've mostly been hiding under my bed from Covid. Nothing fun to report.
    GladDog

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,673
    Arterius said:
    With the year half way over I thought it was time that I put the games that beat so far this year from December to May. I played a lot more games then I usually do, due in part to quarantine. 

I know Chrono Trigger is a well loved game but I just couldn't get into. I blame it partly on Final Fantasy 7 R though. The entire time I was playing I was like that scene would have been so cool remade or that I wish more people reacted to have a robot in my party, betting that if it had FFR style remake NPC's probably would.

I am currently working on Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive edition and Siralim 3. Both games that I am enjoying immensely. Siralim 3 is what Pokemon could be right now. Pretty soon I will be cracking up Last of Us Part 2 (and despite the spoilers) I am excited to see how it plays out myself. The game will take 40 hours to complete the story and I have faith in Naughty Dog.
    I love your DMCV and Asura's Wrath scores. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,841
    lahnmir said:
    Arterius said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Honestly I would probally give Asura a 7.5 now. I just like the story more in Asura's Wrath but I wish there was more of it. More fleshed out. The more I think on it the more I feel like so much more could have been added
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

lahnmir said:
    Arterius said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I don't. DMCV is a stellar game and it deserves better.

But then I know Arterius doesn't actually like character action games.
    blueturtle13
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,336
    edited June 9
    You don't beat a game you finish it and when I look on Steam and see how few % players have the "achievements" that denote finishing or completion of various game elements, I do wonder if we are now a 'bite sized only' gaming community. In particular if a game had a great story it is a real shame they are not finished.
    Kyleranblueturtle13

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,365
    Scot said:
    You don't beat a game you finish it and when I look on Steam and see how few % players have the "achievements" that denote finishing or completion of various game elements, I do wonder if we are now a 'bite sized only' gaming community. In particular if a game had a great story it is a real shame they are not finished.
    Agreed. I suspect most who claim to beat a game in record time are focusing on strictly the mainline story.

I recall players saying they finished Fallout New Vegas in 35 to 40 hours.

Naw....took me 175 hours and I still skipped completing some content, and I really should go back and run it a few more times with some different builds.

blueturtle13ScotSovrath

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,364
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Agreed. I suspect most who claim to beat a game in record time are focusing on strictly the mainline story.

Naw....took me 175 hours and I still skipped completing some content, and I really should go back and run it a few more times with some different builds.

Yeah you know I am playing Oblivion again right now because I never finished it. I played it for about 100 hours the first time way back when but after starting new again I am about where I was last time in terms of hours played and I have easily a few hundred more hours of content and activities to go. A friend back on release year said he 'beat' the game in 50 hours. I told him he was playing it wrong. 

On a side note, I am not really an ES fan to be honest. Yet Oblivion, for some reason, has always sat really comfortable with me. Great fun and a really good game.  
    Sovrath

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    Arterius said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I must confess I think DMCV is very overrated, not a 4 but I have difficulty rating it over a 7. And on the other hand I have a huge soft spot for Asura´s Wrath which is completely unapologetic in what it is and does. His scores are an exageration of how I see those two games and since I am, probably, a minority in this it amused me greatly.

As for the DMC series as a whole, I realised that besides the first which defined a genre, I think the only worthy one is 3, and I am a huge fan of the genre. Now that I look back on DMCV I realise I can not point at a single thing it does better then Bayonetta except for the flow of the game as a whole, which is stellar.

But I think we could fill an entire seperate thread discussing this and the hows and why's.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    Arterius said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I must confess I think DMCV is very overrated, not a 4 but I have difficulty rating it over a 7. And on the other hand I have a huge soft spot for Asura´s Wrath which is completely unapologetic in what it is and does. His scores are an exageration of how I see those two games and since I am, probably, a minority in this it amused me greatly.

As for the DMC series as a whole, I realised that besides the first which defined a genre, I think the only worthy one is 3, and I am a huge fan of the genre. Now that I look back on DMCV I realise I can not point at a single thing it does better then Bayonetta except for the flow of the game as a whole, which is stellar.

But I think we could fill an entire seperate thread discussing this and the hows and why's.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Honestly, I've never liked Bayonetta. I was unable to finish it because I don't like the character or the world or... much of anything really. It's a weird thing for me to say given my overt anti-theism. It should be pure wish fulfillment for me, but if I don't like the protagonist, I'm unlikely to enjoy the game.

Whereas I consider NieR Automata to still be the pinnacle of the genre because it excels at basically everything it sets out to do, has one of gaming's best OSTs, and has a bold approach to storytelling.
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    Arterius said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Honestly, I've never liked Bayonetta. I was unable to finish it because I don't like the character or the world or... much of anything really. It's a weird thing for me to say given my overt anti-theism. It should be pure wish fulfillment for me, but if I don't like the protagonist, I'm unlikely to enjoy the game.

Whereas I consider NieR Automata to still be the pinnacle of the genre because it excels at basically everything it sets out to do, has one of gaming's best OSTs, and has a bold approach to storytelling.
    Blasphemy! Nah, kidding, we like what we like. And I must admit that the protagonist isn't doing for me what she should, on paper that is, but mechanically wise that series is pure perfection to me.

I can get behind Nier Automata though, its a brilliant piece of art although I wouldn't quite put it in the same catagory as the other games. The first Nier is getting a remake soon, exciting stuff.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• ShaighShaigh Member RarePosts: 2,058
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    Aeander said:
    lahnmir said:
    Arterius said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I found nier automata alright when it came to combat, they throw a lot of interesting elements but as a twitch game its mediocre. The problem is the non-restricted dodging, it makes combat simple and increasing difficulty fix the problem.

I have to unlearn a lot of bad habits while playing nioh 2, dodging like you do in nier automata gets you killed quickly.
    The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,614
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

Yeah you know I am playing Oblivion again right now because I never finished it. I played it for about 100 hours the first time way back when but after starting new again I am about where I was last time in terms of hours played and I have easily a few hundred more hours of content and activities to go. A friend back on release year said he 'beat' the game in 50 hours. I told him he was playing it wrong. 

On a side note, I am not really an ES fan to be honest. Yet Oblivion, for some reason, has always sat really comfortable with me. Great fun and a really good game.  

My favourite part of Oblivion was the Dark Brotherhood chain. Thought it was really awesome, great quests but more importantly, it made stealth actually fun and worth doing, which wasn't true in Morrowind and wasn't as good in Skyrim.

My first playthrough of Oblivion bugged out on me. Can't remember how far I'd gotten, but one of the main questlines bugged out inside one of those rift thingys. Killed whoever I was supposed to kill, but a door that was supposed to unlock, didn't. No way to reset, so main questline was bugged. Took a break, restarted 6 months later and completed it.

I did really hate the scaling, but at least u could game the system. Last few times I played it, I'd just spend an hour or two summoning shit, then bashing it with a weak iron dagger. Got me to level 25 pretty damn quickly so that all the cool shit would spawn in the world. Made the game soooo much more enjoyable for me.

On topic, I don't think I've completed any games this year. Most hours have gone into Cities Skylines, spent maybe 100 hours building a new city. It was great, but far from finished. Same sort of thing with a lot of other games - I put the time in, but there's no real endpoint, so I just play until im no longer having fun.

My latest toy is a Thrustmaster TMX racing wheel, so I've been having a blast in Project Cars 2 right now. I've not owned a racing wheel since the Sega Saturn, and these modern wheels are way better! It's a real challenge in PC2 too, such a steep learning curve for me (im more of an arcade racer) but really satisfying when it goes right.

What I've found interesting about the experience is that because the driving experience is so good, I don't really care about other features.

For example, I recently picked up GRID (2019) before I got the wheel and was playing with an xbox controller. Whilst the races and driving was still fun, it really annoyed me that I had very little control over my career. It bothered me that my choices of cars was very limited, I couldn't select my own sponsers (like u could in the first one) and that the money earned had very little purpose. In short, the career felt like I was just going through the motions.

In PC2, its basically teh same, but I don't care, because the experience of driving is great.

Looking forwards to trying some other racing games with the wheel over the next few weeks. I've been enjoying the sim style, but curious how a wheel would work with an arcady style.

blueturtle13