Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers are ditching Radeon graphics cards over driver issues (Specifically Navi)

2»

Comments

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    edited March 2020
    @Narug

If you watch the hardware unboxed video their poll, 48% of Radeon owners reported experiencing driver issues, while only 22% of nvidia owners did. Meanwhile, the retailers they've spoken to reported rx 5000 cards had a 5x higher RMA rate than Turing, and they struggled to reproduce the reported problems implying driver issues rather than hardware. On the flipside neither Steve nor Tim encountered any issues while testing beyond some hiccups during driver installs. Their conclusion was that they'd struggle to recommend AMD graphics cards when competing nvidia ones have similar fps/$.

Even AMD made a statement -
    “ Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.

An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when performing parallel actions such as web browsing, gaming or watching video.

An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when the system is left idle at desktop.“

Here is the follow up video from 3 days ago

https://youtu.be/ptDRxBxwUfU

From their polls 20% now are saying they are still seeing issues but a larger portion said the latest drivers fixed either their issue or most of their issues.

I am really happy to hear this. You need to take a look at what I said I’ve expressed that both companies have issues with their drivers and I’ve experience both firsthand. The problem with this Navi driver issue Is that it has been going on for a long time. I watch hardware unboxed and I saw the poll with many thousands of people acknowledging their issues.

Sorry your fanboy heart got hurt with my bringing this to attention. 

OzmodanGdemami

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    edited March 2020
    @AmazingAvery ;

Sorry had to work & take a nap from said work

Yeah about that video which I guess you beat me to posting first.

The whole wording of the poll can make someone suspicious 

Note that previous 1st video the gentleman said they have a rig themselves with a ATI card at home & have no issues & it’s repeated here.

The gentleman even breaks it down because even he has to secretly feel the gig is up.  

Around 45% of Navi owners believe their issues are fixed.

35% had no issues to begin with.  None.

I think the pool in the water is starting to drain..

Alot had no issues with previous ATI GPUs.

You site retailers but OEMs have no higher RMA issues around 12:40ish

Versus the fireball boards of Nvidia's side I mentioned (If you dig on the 2 series you'll see early adopters or not it's no excuse for either/any company)

On a side note, Hardware Unboxed gives me more distrust when they are obviously plugging a 3rd part utility & seem to scorn the companies that refuse to support such utility...

I don't doubt issues by both sides but do doubt a large portion did/had.
    Post edited by Narug on

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Look instead of having a non-reproducable issue lets look at one that was reproduced. 

This guy did the work for Nvidia.

part 2

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    @Narug

If you watch the hardware unboxed video their poll, 48% of Radeon owners reported experiencing driver issues, while only 22% of nvidia owners did. Meanwhile, the retailers they've spoken to reported rx 5000 cards had a 5x higher RMA rate than Turing, and they struggled to reproduce the reported problems implying driver issues rather than hardware. On the flipside neither Steve nor Tim encountered any issues while testing beyond some hiccups during driver installs. Their conclusion was that they'd struggle to recommend AMD graphics cards when competing nvidia ones have similar fps/$.

Even AMD made a statement -
    “ Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.

An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when performing parallel actions such as web browsing, gaming or watching video.

An intermittent black screen or loss of display may occur when the system is left idle at desktop.“

Here is the follow up video from 3 days ago

https://youtu.be/ptDRxBxwUfU

From their polls 20% now are saying they are still seeing issues but a larger portion said the latest drivers fixed either their issue or most of their issues.

I am really happy to hear this. You need to take a look at what I said I’ve expressed that both companies have issues with their drivers and I’ve experience both firsthand. The problem with this Navi driver issue Is that it has been going on for a long time. I watch hardware unboxed and I saw the poll with many thousands of people acknowledging their issues.

Sorry your fanboy heart got hurt with my bringing this to attention. 

Oh that is complete nonsense.  I know no one with any AMD graphical issues at all and I have built a bunch of them.  Stop spreading fake news!

AmazingAvery
    edited March 2020
    Oh that is complete nonsense.  I know no one with any AMD graphical issues at all and I have built a bunch of them.  Stop spreading fake news!

There were close to 50,000 people that voted on that poll I linked. Thousands said they had problems.
    AMD issued acknowledging statements.
    RMA’s were up among cards makers.
    ^those are all true statements

Overall that’s quite a bit more than Billy and his 5 mates.

The only reason why I posted this was because of how widespread and populous it was. After the last driver update as mentioned, it thankfully reduced the amount of people reporting problems significantly but not eliminated. Stop denying this.
    Post edited by AmazingAvery on
    OzmodanGdemami

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    An online poll....

not saying it’s fake news, but you can write a script to cast 50,000 votes in a forum poll in about 10 minutes.

thats before you get into trolls voting to be trolls, and other issues.

NarugOzmodan
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    Happens to me when watching videos full screen... 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    I assume that you're talking about the same sort of Internet polls as showed Ron Paul getting elected president in a landslide.
    kitarad[Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited March 2020
     :D I edited out what I had said realised I had made a mistake.

xD_Gaming said:

I am forwarding this post to AMD.
    And what exactly is that supposed to do?
    Panther2103
    edited March 2020
    xD_Gaming said:
    Quizzical said:
    xD_Gaming said:

And what exactly is that supposed to do?
    dissinformation is becoming an old  tool for nvda. Every post should be forwarded when false positive analytics is in play. 

It isn't about the post as much as the meta data the post generates. 

if it can be determines a pattern of meta data is being generated by specific poeple, I think that is pretty important information to have. Instead of these people hiding on a forum creating and building  meta data that is not 100% accurate to a any product.

Alot of people are still in the 1990's in terms of internet use,need to wake up and realize how data us used in the 21st century.

Ozmodan[Deleted User]
    xD_Gaming said:

As someone who has used AMD for the last 15 years, your post  bullcrap.  Grabbing like 100 posts of people with problems, linking some NVDA fan boy poll, get the  out here 

That's cute mate. I've been using ATI/AMD since I bought a Rage card back in 1996. I've also owned Nvidia since early 2000's and I can tell you for a fact I have had a harder time with AMD cards with issues. I can also tell you that I've had the best experiences with ATI cards from a performance perspective.  I have a 5700XT right now in one machine and for about 7 months I have had the worst experiences with the black screen issue A LOT. 

You know nothing!

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    xD_Gaming said:

As someone who has used AMD for the last 15 years, your post  bullcrap.  Grabbing like 100 posts of people with problems, linking some NVDA fan boy poll, get the  out here 

That's cute mate. I've been using ATI/AMD since I bought a Rage card back in 1996. I've also owned Nvidia since early 2000's and I can tell you for a fact I have had a harder time with AMD cards with issues. I can also tell you that I've had the best experiences with ATI cards from a performance perspective.  I have a 5700XT right now in one machine and for about 7 months I have had the worst experiences with the black screen issue A LOT. 

You know nothing!
    It’s your PSU
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    AMD has had hardware and driver issues since Vega. But these issues have been minor. With the inadequate coolers, I am speaking from experience. The Vega Frontier Edition does not have proper cooling and the recommended power is fairly steep. I was able to correct its cooling issues with a water cooling loop. Now it's the beast it was always designed to be.
    They also have driver issues specifically for the Vega Frontier Edition and probably soon for the VII. The Frontier Edition was suppose to support both professional and gaming drivers. At first you could save up to 4 drivers and switch between them with a reboot. Now you can only use a single professional driver that they update quarterly.
    I attribute these issues with being an early adopter on a low volume product.
    I think the same issue is present in the 5700 with its blower cooler and how power hungry it is. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Even my shitty work computer is affected by this. AMD is dead to me.
    Ozmodan

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Your work computer uses a Navi GPU?  That seems unlikely.
    Ozmodan
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited June 2020
    Quizzical said:
    Amathe said:
    Your work computer uses a Navi GPU?  That seems unlikely.

The issues I listed don't affect only Navi.
    They affected generations of AMD cards and where never really fixed.
    Again, sorry you had problems with your AMD cards, I have not yet had any returned to me that I installed and I have installed a bunch.  Most probably it was the brand of your card.  You are trying to make a mountain out of a minuscule problem IMO.  If there was a major issue with them, there would be articles about it,  I have not seen one.
    Gdemami
  • gardotd426gardotd426 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Between 2010 and now I've only had 3 GPUs, two Nvidia and one AMD. I've had less driver issues with that AMD card in those 10 years. With that said, I'm considering getting another Nvidia card just because they have official Linux drivers. If I'm not mistaken, new Ubuntu distributions don't have official AMD drivers anymore.

EDIT: also, my GTX970 fried last October. I'm afraid of getting an AMD card now since they get much hotter.
    For the love of god, you're so badly incorrect it hurts. 

AMD not only offers native Linux drivers, they're open-source and literally built-in to the Linux kernel. 

The "new Ubuntu distributions don't have 'official' AMD drivers anymore" is (also wrong, they support new versions of Ubuntu as well, but) from your confusion over the AMDGPU-PRO PROPRIETARY drivers that perform like absolute ass, and no one uses. The regular open-source AMD drivers ARE official, they're developed by AMD, and they are again, included into the kernel. 
  • gardotd426gardotd426 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Quizzical said:
    Between 2010 and now I've only had 3 GPUs, two Nvidia and one AMD. I've had less driver issues with that AMD card in those 10 years. With that said, I'm considering getting another Nvidia card just because they have official Linux drivers. If I'm not mistaken, new Ubuntu distributions don't have official AMD drivers anymore.

EDIT: also, my GTX970 fried last October. I'm afraid of getting an AMD card now since they get much hotter.
    AMD offers official drivers for the latest LTS version of Ubuntu.  If your plan is to stay on the latest LTS version and only upgrade to a new version of that every two years, then AMD offers official drivers for you.  Nvidia says they offer "Linux x64" drivers, but doesn't specify which distributions are supported, so I'm not sure if they do the same thing as AMD or something different.

AMD's Navi cards are comparable on energy efficiency to Nvidia's Turing cards.  It's the older Polaris and Vega cards that were inefficient.  Keeping temperatures at appropriate levels is the responsibility of the board partner, and there's no real reason to believe that AMD cards would tend to be worse (or better) than Nvidia t this.
    No. You're wrong. 

You're talking about the AMDGPU-PRO PROPRIETARY drivers. No one uses those (especially for gaming) because they perform like ass in OpenGL and are a mess to install (and only work on a few distros).

However AMD officially provides an open-source Linux kernel driver that's literally built into the kernel, and it's developed by AMD, and again, it's open-source. That's what everyone uses, and it's in literally every distribution because AGAIN, IT'S BUILT-IN TO THE KERNEL. YOU LITERALLY CAN'T RUN LINUX WITHOUT HAVING OFFICIAL AMD GPU DRIVERS.