Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Will Not Receive VR Compatibility or Base Building at Launch

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageElite Dangerous: Odyssey Will Not Receive VR Compatibility or Base Building at Launch

The recently announced expansion to Elite: Dangerous, called Odyssey, has had a few more details shared today thanks to a forum post.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    Is this game easy to get into if I get it on the PC can I use a controller?

OG_Zorvan said:

Abimor said:

It's got a bit of a learning curve but not too bad. And yeah, can use just about any controller you want. I use k&m mostly, but I've even hooked up a cheap $5 Logitech gamepad and used it. Xbone controllers are popular with pilots too. IF you really get into it and wanna blow money, you can get a hotas setup later on.

Thanks I would be using an Xboxone controller I have been interested in this game since it launched but never took the plunge. Let me ask one more question is it mostly pvp or are their pve things too? I gues what I am wondering is am I going to get destroyed by some vet before i even have a choice.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Abimor said:

OG_Zorvan said:

Abimor said:

It's got a bit of a learning curve but not too bad. And yeah, can use just about any controller you want. I use k&m mostly, but I've even hooked up a cheap $5 Logitech gamepad and used it. Xbone controllers are popular with pilots too. IF you really get into it and wanna blow money, you can get a hotas setup later on.

Thanks I would be using an Xboxone controller I have been interested in this game since it launched but never took the plunge. Let me ask one more question is it mostly pvp or are their pve things too? I gues what I am wondering is am I going to get destroyed by some vet before i even have a choice.

Mostly PvE. There is PvP but typically you need to go looking for it. Engineer bases can be a camp spot as well as a few other popular stations. If you wanted to be extra careful you could always switch from "Open" mode to "Solo" mode.

Last year they put in a new area for newbies and vets can't get in that area. It's good for learning the ropes and trying out a few different things.
    foppoteeOctagon7711
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Abimor said:

Why on earth would you want to use the abomination that is a controller with a good PC game? Just kidding, use what you like and enjoy the game. :)
    foppoteeOctagon7711Abimor
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    I like how they lay it out «as is» ..it’s like .. «Listen, we don’t want to bite over too much, let’s just get Boots on the ground first and take it from there» ...and they will.
    foppoteeOctagon7711
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269

OG_Zorvan said:

Base building was never mentioned outside of the "dataminers" behind the original roadmap leak speculating on assets they saw, so not a big deal there.

VR users are a minuscule portion of their profits, so making sure the content gets out for the majority and then working on the VR makes sense both professionally and financially.

So yep, still good.

ED has only sold 1.4 million copies. I'd be willing to bet that between 20-25% (probably more) of those were purchased for VR. I don't know many people with VR HMDs that don't own ED. On that same note, I don't know anyone that plays ED outside of VR.

I think if they take their time with turning this new expansion into a good VR option, they will sell a lot based on this alone. Us VR people are a bit fanatical about trying new games and supporting developers that delve into VR games, and there are a few million of us.
    GdemamiOctagon7711
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    I don't play ED regularly anymore but only from time to time. Last I played it I still consider it more a simulator than game, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun. I know "space legs" has been a LONG TIME request. I should probably attempt to play ED semi-regularly again since I haven't even tried-out the new beginners area.
    Octagon7711
    tzervo said:

ED has only sold 1.4 million copies. I'd be willing to bet that between 20-25% (probably more) of those were purchased for VR. I don't know many people with VR HMDs that don't own ED. On that same note, I don't know anyone that plays ED outside of VR.
    I'd be willing to take the other side and bet against it. Sounds like easy money :P

If only there was a way to find out. I don't know a single VR player that doesn't own this game unless it's someone looking for VR games at which point almost every other VR player recommends it. When you buy the game, it works for both VR and monitor and Steam doesn't separate VR and non-VR players in their data.

You're talking about one of the first games made to work in VR back in 2016. Since then, millions of VR HMDs have been sold before the big VR game boom of 2019, all looking for a good, in depth VR game to play. Even now, it's a VR staple.
    Octagon7711bwwianakiev
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Looking forward to coming back to this game. Been awhile and it does get easier to play every time I checkup on how the game is going.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PartieplayinPartieplayin Member UncommonPosts: 93
    From my recollection getting boots on the ground is just the first phase eventually you'll be able to walk around your ship explore space stations and actually have populated worlds to visit.
    Octagon7711

Scot said:

Abimor said:

Why on earth would you want to use the abomination that is a controller with a good PC game? Just kidding, use what you like and enjoy the game. :)

Honestly I have some arthritis in my hands playing with a keyboard bothers them after awhile, it is one of the main reasons I like ESO so much because I can use a controller.
    back on topic I bought the game looking to check it out tonight after work.
    [Deleted User]
  • p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    That's too bad...ED, until now, has been an impressive VR offering. And jumping off the VR curve now? Foolish...they must plan to offer it in the future but couldn't meet the deadlines.
    ultimateduckbwwianakiev

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's a good strategy.  Release, stabilize, then release more.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

tzervo said:
    I don't doubt any of this. You seem to know your VR tech well, and I agree that current E:D already proved to be an excellent fit for VR.

Where we disagree:

- I don't think you can extrapolate to the playerbase based on your in-game friends. We usually form our gaming cycles based on similar tastes, generalizing from them is questionable. I think 20% - 25% of the total playerbase is too high. But as you said, we can't find out unless Frontier shares numbers.

- I saw ObsidianAnt mentioning that changing the FPS part into VR is more challenging than their current game because in in-ship content the player is not moving. In FPS the player is actually moving, and this is an additional technical hurdle - especially when you consider mixing VR and non-VR players. I am not VR savvy, so can't know if this is true, but it sounds reasonable.
    I don't even know if Frontier knows who is and isn't playing in VR. I didn't have to buy ED for VR, I just bought ED. I can play it on my monitory and say "I feel like playing VR", log out and log back into that same game in VR.

Skyrim did not have dual login. I have to buy Skyrim VR even if I already owned Skyrim. Because of this, we can make a fairly accurate comparison. When Skyrim VR was released it sold over 350,000 retail copies in the first three weeks. This is not including digital copies. This was over two years ago where the number of VR HMDs sold has tripled.

Considering Frontier has sold 1.4 million copies of ED and knowing Skyrim VR has most likely sold well over 500k copies, I think 20-25% (if not more) is very probable.

Most people I know play ED in VR with a HOTAS controller and voice attack while sitting. It would be difficult, not to mention immersion breaking, to switch to a standing position and swapping out to standard VR hand controllers. I can see the dilemma.

[Deleted User]bwwianakiev
    tzervo said:
    I don't even know if Frontier knows who is and isn't playing in VR. I didn't have to buy ED for VR, I just bought ED. I can play it on my monitory and say "I feel like playing VR", log out and log back into that same game in VR.
    They have separate code that handles VR (specifically through SteamVR iirc) - it cannot be completely abstracted, otherwise there would be no "adding VR support" to the base game and "not supporting VR in Odyssey". This means that even if VR is handled completely in the client, they can still instrument that code and send that information back to the server.

We do not know if they actually do that, but it would make sense, since this could make a business case for them adding VR support to future content, depending on the development effort.

If they do have that info, this means not adding VR was an informed decision and the percentage of VR players in E:D is not high, or that the development effort to add it specifically in Odyssey is huge, or there are design issues, or it's not part of the MVP but will come later. Speculation at this point.

Also, not sure if acquiring this info stumbles into any privacy laws - but I would assume there is a way to get it without issues (i.e. by processing it anonymously?).

Agreed. It doesn't seem like they care about who is playing enough to show VR vs non-VR. They do care enough to let VR users know the new expansion isn't available to us at this time... so that's nice.

[Deleted User]