Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Text based MMO

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,797
So are there any text based MMO's worth playing? I love text based games and was wondering if anyone on here knew a game in that vein worth getting into that is a MMO
Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,025
    Do they still make text based MMOs?
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,797
    Do they still make text based MMOs?
    I didn't even know there was such a thing. I know i could have googled it but figured I could ask here first.

• MistborneMistborne Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Yes, there are great text-based mmorpgs, typically called MUDs. Arguably the best ones right now are Gemstone IV and DragonRealms. They've been around since the late 80s, early 90s. They have incredible depth in lore and gameplay. 
    ScotUngood
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,797
    Mistborne said:
    Yes, there are great text-based mmorpgs, typically called MUDs. Arguably the best ones right now are Gemstone IV and DragonRealms. They've been around since the late 80s, early 90s. They have incredible depth in lore and gameplay. 
    Cool I will check them out and love the name. You a Brandon Sanderson fan?

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,000
    Mistborne said:
    You misspelled "A.V.A.T.A.R." and "Abandoned Realms"  ;)

MUDs have this mystical quality of being limited only by the color palette of one's imagination.  They are really different from anything else, but "text-based mmorpg" is a pretty good description.
    Scot

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,036
    Computer graphics are both a beautiful illustrator of gaming concepts and a prison cage which enforces draconian limitations on gaming imagination. You can see these issues elsewhere, table top roleplaying figures and maps or none at all, rules for LARP costumes and sets or open ended to help play, horror films which make the menace clearly viable and those which suggest the horror.

There is a benefit from showing but also a benefit from letting the player/audience imagine.
    PhaserlightTuor7KnightFalz

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,891
    MUDS are still getting made/updated/released. 

Anything by Iron Realms Entertainment will be good, and even if you don't want a MUD it's still worth seeing their combat system that cares more about status effects than health.   Though their cash shop is something that EA would envy, so maybe not long term.  (They even released Starmourn this month).

I like AlterAeon for its class system,  or rather class builder system.  Basically everyone is multi class,  but your later classes level slower,  and the system has a wide enough number of options that you don't take everything. 
    ScotArterius

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,019
    I don't know what you would call them but you might enjoy something like Billy vs Snakeman (especially if you're into anime/manga to catch the references) or Kingdom of Loathing(always good for the humor).

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,988
    DMKano said:
    What if I told you that you are playing a text based mmo right now?

But this one has too much non-consensual PVP.
    PhaserlightUngood
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,180

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,966
    edited January 2019
    There are a lot of them out there.  I've played this one for years. http://www.hogwartslive.com/  This one leaves your character available for PvP which can be disabled in settings.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Galahad1886Galahad1886 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I've been in love with Torn for nearly two years now. It has a massive user base and is easily put into the MMOTBRPG bracket. 
    <a href=https://www.torn.com/2170797>Torn-City - Massively multiplayer online text based RPG</a>
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 4,138
    I am going also going to Suggest DragonRealms or Gemstone V.

If you opt to play DragonRealms I am also going to suggest getting the Genie front end. It's 3rd party, but worth it.

But, yah, they exist. Some for quite a while now
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,577
    Text based covers alot of things, not just the MUDs.......I enjoy playing some of the Idle games like Lyrania, Relics of Avabur, NGU Idle, or Wizards and Minions. Torn was fun played that for about 6-7 years. There's hundreds of these kinds of games.
  • GenesisMudGenesisMud Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Toot my own games horn here.

http://genesismud.org/

Going strong for over 30 years now with an active admin team and playerbase. The world is strictly medieval fantasy based and you will find realms such as Tolkien, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and many others all coming together.

No downloads needed, we have a browser client.
    Ungood
  • KatherineRoweKatherineRowe Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Played the text part of mmorpg. I can't say I admired it, but the rhythm and dynamics of the game are good enough. Especially in the game with friends.

• yucklawyersyucklawyers Member UncommonPosts: 234
    I played Aardwolf for a while b4 the big boys arrived. That's still going, been many, many years now.
    Tuor7
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member UncommonPosts: 941
    I liked Aardwolf. I think that was the last MUD I ever played. After that, it was MUSHes and then these newfangled graphical MUDs.
    yucklawyers
  • MrWakefieldMrWakefield Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited May 30
    Fart.
    Post edited by MrWakefield on
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,428
    Text based online games are called MUD, not MMO.

I doubt any of them could handle thousands or even worse tens of thousands of players. MUDs have been programmed completely sequentially. Whenever any player did something, no other players requests would be processed.

While MMOs are programmed multithreaded, for multiprocessor environments.

Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.