Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announced, Coming 2021

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited June 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageElite Dangerous: Odyssey Announced, Coming 2021

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, a first-person expansion to the hit space sim, has just been announced earlier today via an announcement on their forums with an accompanying trailer.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited June 2020
    Well no point in waiting for that other game, you can do it all in this game. Minus cave poop.
    McSleazFrodoFraginsAgent_Joseph
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Oh my
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited June 2020
    is this for pVp or will there actually be life on the planets for PVe? the video is a tease......

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    After this, all that will be lacking will be a more meaningful player involvement/economy (like Eve's). This game rocks as is, and is only getting better.
    Agent_Joseph
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 476
    Differences between Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen:

One is a game, one is a scam.
    bwwianakievBabuinixAgent_Joseph[Deleted User]FrodoFraginsKumapon
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    LMFAO   ED  is beating SC at being SC
    BabuinixMcSleazAgent_Joseph[Deleted User]ScotFrodoFragins
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I play both ED and SC. It's funny how people are comparing ED to SC with this teaser. Both companies have their issues. FDev's issue is under-delivering every patch. Their net code allows for 4 people in an instance currently...
    GdemamiAgent_Joseph
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    edited June 2020
    Scorchien said:

lol imagine using this game pre-rendered trailer:
    That shows features Star Citizen has available for years (FPS) while it's community easily does better looking trailers with ingame footage every week:
    :D
    bwwianakievGdemamisschruppKumapon
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Babuinix said:
    Scorchien said:

lol imagine using this game pre-rendered trailer:
    That shows features Star Citizen has available for years (FPS) while it's community easily does better looking trailers with ingame footage every week:

SC is a completly broken bug infested, feature lacking, exploited shitfest that may never see the light of day , where as ED is actually a playable fun game ...
    TillerAgent_JosephVrikastrawhat0981FrodoFraginsbwwianakievKumapon
    edited June 2020
    Scorchien said:
    SC is a completly broken bug infested, feature lacking, exploited shitfest that may never see the light of day , where as ED is actually a playable fun game ...
    Yet...

Gdemamisschruppstrawhat0981bwwianakiev
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    Not sure how this will really play/look like in the end.

Last time i was on the planets looking for minerals, it was rough looking. I do not think they could just have full world/planets where you could run around having fights or what not.

Maybe they will have the bases be part of it? Interesting ideas i guess...just have to see how they can implement it.
  • jefftpjefftp Member UncommonPosts: 14

Babuinix said:

Scorchien said:

Yet...

People watch SC streams to laugh at how bad the game is. ED is boring to watch, it just works. SC is hilarious: Spacejoe tries to get out of the cockpit of his fighter, goes floating off into space randomly, someone else comes along and spacejacks his ride, while half the textures of the space station just randomly start crawling across the station. It's like watching Kerbal Space Program, but SC pilots take themselves way too seriously.

I guess if you sink thousands of dollars into Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing in Space you end up taking yourself seriously.
    Tiller[Deleted User]strawhat0981FrodoFragins
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Babuinix said:

Scorchien said:

Yet...

The only thing those statistics (along with the amount of cash CIG has raised) prove is that P.T. Barnum was correct regarding his theory on the birthrate of suckers.
    [Deleted User]FrodoFragins

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    I own Elite, but all I remember is I spent over half an hour trying to dock and failing over and over again. I really wanted to like it but I just am not good enough.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    First of all, awesome news. I hope they make a good expansion out of it becouse this could really offer a lot to a wide audience.
    I really don't understand that need of some people to fight over wich game is better. I own Elite, and I plan on buying this expansi´on as soon as it comes out. I own that other game, I tried it, I liked what they have, even if what they have is not a finished game and I don't feel like I need to be a fan of one or another I just play what I like.

Don't be a blind fan, be a gamer.
    sschrupptinoberserkTacticalZombeh

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

skeaser said:

I own Elite, but all I remember is I spent over half an hour trying to dock and failing over and over again. I really wanted to like it but I just am not good enough.

If you want to enjoy and play Elite, in my opinion, you need a flight joystick. Go to their forums and look for recomendations. When I first bought Elite I liked the game but it was not enjoyable until I bought one. It can't be played with mouse and keyboard, at least use a controller if not a joystick.
    GdemamisschruppAgent_Joseph[Deleted User]Cyber_wasteland

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 156
    I played just fine using keyboard and mouse. Saying it can't be played using those is a lie.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]Cyber_wastelandSandmanjw
    edited June 2020
    OG_Zorvan said:
    E:D has an entire universe of planets to go explore. How many does SC have so far? 6?  :D
    Quality over Quantity my friend ;)

strawhat0981GdemamiCyber_wastelandAgent_Joseph
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited June 2020
    I think SC will be out in five years time just when ED graphics will be looking a little dated. :)
    FrodoFragins
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Babuinix said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    E:D has an entire universe of planets to go explore. How many does SC have so far? 6?  :D

Then Elite wins hands down because Star Citizen is buggy and has a lot of stuff missing.
    FrodoFragins

edited June 2020
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

Then Elite wins hands down because Star Citizen is buggy and has a lot of stuff missing.
    Wins what exactly? If Star Citizen has stuff missing what about Elite?
    You do realise that Star Citizen already has all the features talked about in the [Elite's Future Video] from 2014?

Their recent trailer showing walking on planets and engaging in FPS and estimated for 2021 has been available in Star Citizen for years already now...

Mind you, I have nothing against Elite or Frontier but anyone who tries to use it to bash Star Citizen or any other game will be opening a can of worms. :D
    GdemamibwwianakievCyber_wastelandrpmcmurphyAgent_Joseph
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    I'm excited for Elite and will definitely buy the expansion. Hopefully we get real ingame footage soon.
    The SC hate is funny though. I don't expect everyone to appreciate or even recognize the quality SC offers. But to put energy into hating is another thing. It's like people are happy they get shitty games every year and are actually cheering it all over the internet.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Babuinix said:
    You do realise that Star Citizen already has all the features talked about in the [Elite's Future Video] from 2014? 
    ...Quality over Quantity.

Mark your own words.
    MightyUnclean
    Gdemami said:
    Babuinix said:
    ...Quality over Quantity.
    Mark your own words.
    Oh I've marked them alright in the right context lol

Features like Space Legs, walking on ship interiors and space stations, EVA, FPS, Landing on atmospheric planets, multicrew or having massive and varied space ships have always been the intention of both games as the video "Elite's Future" above shows. Having billions of planets has never ever been the intention of a game like Star Citizen as it's all about crafting a universe where no place feels the same and not massively relying on procedural generation to spit out billions of planets.

That's why features are already implemented in Star Citizen and seamlessly working together in a more in-depth way than they will ever be in Elite Dangerous, which you can see by how both games have been implementing said core features.

Gdemamirpmcmurphy
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Babuinix said:
    Oh I've marked them alright in the right context lol
    ....apparently not since SC lacks quality across the game and any of those features.
    MightyUnclean