Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buyers Beware

paulolesonpauloleson Member UncommonPosts: 31
With the expansion called the "Greymoor Chapter" set to release next week, Tuesday May 26th, 2020 I wanted to create this post as a buyer beware.
First, ask yourself this question. Do you enjoy and/or want to PvP in Elder Scrolls Online?

If you answered "No", to this question then this warning has no applicability to you, please feel free to buy and play the expansion, you will probably enjoy it quite a bit.

Now if you answered "Yes", to this question then please see the warning below.

PvP in Elder Scrolls Online has become terribly affected by huge latency/lag issues combined with recent changes that literally prevent players from queuing up to play PvP together. That's right, this is the first MMORPG i've run into that will not allow you to queue for a battlegrounds with a friend, guild member, or anyone for that matter, they completely removed the ability to queue with other players in any fashion for PvP. Next, the server that hosts their massive "open world" PvP environment called Cyrodiil has become literally unplayable for months now. The latency is so bad that players on average experience a 2-5 second delay after activating an ability during peak times, and no it has nothing to do with how many players are on your screen. When you do find a group of players to PvP with/against that delay increases from 2-5 seconds to anywhere of 5-10 seconds and occasionally doesn't even read your key input at all.

So you may be asking yourself, is this guy just disgruntle, maybe he just lacks skill, or maybe he has no idea what he is talking about. I employ you to do your own research, go check out the ESO forums, you will literally see hundreds of these complaints.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited May 2020

But more importantly... can you instantly access the cash shop with all of its animated functionality or have the full loot box animated experience with no input lag in Cyrodiil?

I haven't played it for a year but I bet there are zero performance issues associated with that :)
    Amathe
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Oscar33 said:
    I usually play ESO in RP, but recently I read an article, I became interested in PVP. I am already bored and looking for another, more interesting game mode. Anyone play PVP regularly? 
    Yeah, I do little else but pvp in ESO. 
    The lag is annoying, but its nowhere near as bad as the OP is making it out to be. And in terms of RvR pvp there is no other game that is as good as ESO atm. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    YashaX said:
    The lag is annoying, but its nowhere near as bad as the OP is making it out to be. And in terms of RvR pvp there is no other game that is as good as ESO atm. 
    IMO Warhammer crushes it , its not even close , ive played both extensivley

Sensai
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited June 2020
    Well you are pretty mu8ch telling us something we see in ALL games that try to cram too many players into one area.This is likely NEVER going to change because as hardware gets very slightly better,devs are adding the same % of better quality,so it is a wash or gets worse.

If you have an answer,let me hear it,i understand everything that goes on in games,i look at the designs from all angles not just one dimensional designs like...flag pvp.

A developer cannot just wing it,pvp needs an entire NEW design that is not relevant to the pve design.IMO it needs a whole new game,one where everything in the game is different from how npc's react to you ,different types of quests,different loot,yep an entire new game.

If you don't get an entire different game,then the pvp will NEVER be much good.
    YashaX

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

I have played both quite a lot as well, IMO ESO crushes WAR, its so much better that its not even close.

Every aspect of ESO's rvr and gameplay is just light years better than what WAR offered, although back in the day, many, many years ago, it was good for its time.
    Iselin
    edited June 2020
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

I have played both quite a lot as well, IMO ESO crushes WAR, its so much better that its not even close.

Every aspect of ESO's rvr and gameplay is just light years better than what WAR offered, although back in the day, many, many years ago, it was good for its time.
    WAR had a mickey mouse system that encouraged capturing undefended keeps so most of the time was spent avoiding fights and just flipping keeps over and over.

IDK how anyone in their right mind could ever say that their system was better,

WAR's 2-sided RvR rewards were heavily biased in favor of attacking hence the keep flipping nonsense. ESO, OTOH, biases in favor of defending with XP and RvR point ticks while you're defending as well as a very large tick after a successful defense when the attacks have stopped for long enough to be considered a final outcome. This means that in ESO keeps are only ever not defended when the owners are busy elsewhere because the incentive for defending is huge. That alone makes it far superior. And then there's the 3-sided thing for the added strategy.

I was involved in many hour long keep battles in ESO and that just never happened in WAR,
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

WAR had a mickey mouse system that encouraged capturing undefended keeps so most of the time was spent avoiding fights and just flipping keeps over and over.

WAR's 2-sided RvR rewards were heavily biased in favor of attacking hence the keep flipping nonsense. ESO, OTOH, biases in favor of defending with XP and RvR point ticks while you're defending as well as a very large tick after a successful defense when the attacks have stopped for long enough to be considered a final outcome. This means that in ESO keeps are only ever not defended when the owners are busy elsewhere because the incentive for defending is huge. That alone makes it far superior. And then there's the 3-sided thing for the added strategy.

I was involved in many hour long keep battles in ESO and that just never happened in WAR,
    I think that's a good analysis. There are many other elements that elevate ESO's pvp over WAR, such as the actual gameplay, the class set up, the way skills and resources work, the movement system, the siege system, the leveling system, the way power/gear gaps are handled, and so much more. 

I actually really liked WAR, but hopping onto the free server they have set up at the moment really drove home for me just how lackluster it is compared to ESO.
    Kyleran
    edited June 2020
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

you actually have to play War today to have a valid opinion here ,I was in a 720 Destro vs 645 Order in Reikland a couple weeks ago after a full day of battling and both keeps breached to inner numerous times , the zone was still contested .. Performance was fine also in this 2 day epic battle ..

As i have said in other threads relative to War , the game that the current Devs have running is vastly superior in Many ways to the War that EA shut down .. 2 very different experiences in many ways .. I got RR 83 in live , and am at 80 on the EMu server ive played in Cyrodill to CO 460 , The experiences are vastly different .. War is superior that is clear ..

I  have 1 complaint on War , and that is the Fort system ,(the first portion) it is really shit , but they are exploring options to make this a better part of the RvR experience..

Right now keeps in ESO are much easier to flip

Right now War resource system is more engaging

Right now War is more fun ....

Right now ,, Wars class system is much more tactical and group oriented ( Not just a Zerg Fest)demanding organization and cooperation.. between Tanks/Heals/DPS

Right Now .. the coordination between Warbands to take Keeps or flip zones is vastly superior to anything that ESO offers in this area

Right Now it seems  people have opinion on Wars system that have not played it in years (or high enough in Tier to know the difference)

Right now today ESO is a joke compared imo
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    Iselin
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

you actually have to play War today to have a valid opinion here ,I was in a 720 Destro vs 645 Order in Reikland a couple weeks ago after a full day of battling and both keeps breached to inner numerous times , the zone was still contested .. Performance was fine also in this 2 day epic battle ..

As i have said in other threads relative to War , the game that the current Devs have running is vastly superior in Many ways to the War that EA shut down .. 2 very different experiences in many ways .. I got RR 83 in live , and am at 80 on the EMu server ive played in Cyrodill to CO 460 , The experiences are vastly different .. War is superior that is clear ..

I  have 1 complaint on War , and that is the Fort system ,(the first portion) it is really shit , but they are exploring options to make this a better part of the RvR experience..

Right now ,, Wars class system is much more tactical and group oriented ( Not just a Zerg Fest)demanding organization and cooperation.. between Tanks/Heals/DPS

Right Now .. the coordination between Warbands to take Keeps or flip zones is vastly superior to anything that ESO offers in this area

Right Now it seems  people have opinion on Wars system that have not played it in years (or high enough in Tier to know the difference)

Nah, I've played it and just uninstalled it recently. Doesn't hold a flame to ESO or even GW2 unfortunately.
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Nah, I've played it and just uninstalled it recently. Doesn't hold a flame to ESO or even GW2 unfortunately.

Awesome , would you like to share Char name , Level ,RR , Tier of gear you retired in , im assuming to form a valid opinion of War it was at least Vanquisher ... They have an Armoury that we can verify this , Would like to see how far you got ?
    edited June 2020
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Awesome , would you like to share Char name , Level ,RR , Tier of gear you retired in , im assuming to form a valid opinion of War it was at least Vanquisher ... They have an Armoury that we can verify this , Would like to see how far you got ?
    Lol.
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Lol.

hmm no such Character Exists .. Thx that answer my question tho .....Lol exactly
    Scorchien said:

Fanboy for dead game detected. You're the only person I have ever seen hold WAR's RVR in such reverence. You have weird tastes.

And no, I don't fart around in pirate servers so I'll have to take your word for it that it isn't just a keep flipping clusterfuck now like it was when it was officially live.

And yeah, I played it at end game levels when it was still alive. Never did play it high enough though so maybe I was just too sober to enjoy it like you seem to. ")

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:

Fanboy for dead game detected. You're the only person I have ever seen hold WAR's RVR in such reverence. You have weird tastes.

And no, I don't fart around in pirate servers so I'll have to take your word for it that it isn't just a keep flipping clusterfuck now like it was when it was officially live.

And yeah, I played it at end game levels when it was still alive. Never did play it high enough though so maybe I was just too sober to enjoy it like you seem to. ")

The EMU is a very different game as has been stated here and other threads , much better experience ..

But seeming i have both to end game i have a good idea , and IMO War is superior ...

That dead game is averaging thru the week 2000 players in RvR near constant , I dont think Cyrodill sees those numbers ..

Many would think ESO fans have weird tastes some of its recent threads indicate that also .. Dont really get your pointless point here , Thats why we have different , games /Cars /Food/ Women for different tastes ..

Its pretty hard to flip a T4 keep that is defended i have watched 300-400 players fail at this weekly ...

As far as sober , i have not has a drink in 27 years :)
    Kyleran
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:

The EMU is a very different game as has been stated here and other threads , much better experience ..

But seeming i have both to end game i have a good idea , and IMO War is superior ...

That dead game is averaging thru the week 2000 players in RvR near constant , I dont think Cyrodill sees those numbers ..

Many would think ESO fans have weird tastes some of its recent threads indicate that also .. Dont really get your pointless point here , Thats why we have different , games /Cars /Food/ Women for different tastes ..

Its pretty hard to flip a T4 keep that is defended i have watched 300-400 players fail at this weekly ...

ESO has a lot of warts (like performance) but its RvR system of well placed keeps, resources. choke points, Elder Scrolls to capture as well as how the incentives in the game for XP, PvP skills and other systems that drive the fights is not one of those warts.

I have to wonder just when and how extensively you played it. I don't even remember you ever talking about having played ESO at all before this thread.

YashaXbcbully

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2020
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:

ESO has a lot of warts (like performance) but its RvR system of well placed keeps, resources. choke points, Elder Scrolls to capture as well as how the incentives in the game for XP, PvP skills and other systems that drive the fights is not one of those warts.

I have to wonder just when and how extensively you played it. I don't even remember you ever talking about having played ESO at all before this thread.

Lol , i have , matter a fact you helped me with a build over a year ago .. Better check your brain my friend , its slippin:)    /jkin ..

War also has the same Choke points/ Resources /Keeps/Camps etc .. SImilar that way .. 

Where , for me War steps ahead is in class tactics , The Trinity is real but on Massive roids .. Collision detaction and Tank walls are real .. Protecting healers pasramount / Guarding DPS needed .. Watching all the effective tactics in play in War is truly impressive .. ESO just feels like a zerg always .. In War a well seasoned experienced group of 6 can take out an entire Warband of 24 ...

But yea did Cyrodill alot and i could pull up numerous threads in discussion of ESO where i say Cyrodill is fun ..
      And if this cheap ass ghetto site had a proper search engine i would pull them up for you
      I just like War  much better
    Post edited by Scorchien on
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    Dey derka derp !

edited June 2020
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Lol.

hmm no such Character Exists .. Thx that answer my question tho .....Lol exactly

I went to the armory and even my Squid Herder was dreaming about being a cool Dragon Knight in ESO:

https://imgur.com/a/Vfns8w5

YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Lol.

I went to the armory and even my Squid Herder was dreaming about being a cool Dragon Knight in ESO:

lol.... funny and all .. But that does nothing to back up your position on War
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Lol.

I'm only telling you what I honestly think. I gave WAR another chance because I had fond memories of the game, but the warm glow of nostalgia was quickly extinguished by the harsh light of reality, as all the things that annoyed me about the mmos of yesteryear came flooding back. And all I was left with was the stark fact that WAR was/is a vastly inferior game on nearly every level compared to ESO.

Believe it or not that really saddened me because I was getting sick of the lag and other aspects of ESO and really wanted to find a new home. But I'm just not willing to move out of my comfy mansion to go live in a hovel. 

The bottom line is: I would be playing WAR if it was even half as good as ESO, but really its not. Despite that, I would encourage anyone who is looking for a RvR game to check out WAR. Even though I found it to be lacking compared to more recent offerings, it still has a lot of character and you might like it. 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Scorchien said:
      And if this cheap ass ghetto site had a proper search engine i would pull them up for you

Yeah something is way off about the search function on this site as of late. It used to work fine before.
    Scorchien
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Lol.

I'm only telling you what I honestly think. I gave WAR another chance because I had fond memories of the game, but the warm glow of nostalgia was quickly extinguished by the harsh light of reality, as all the things that annoyed me about the mmos of yesteryear came flooding back. And all I was left with was the stark fact that WAR was/is a vastly inferior game on nearly every level compared to ESO.

Believe it or not that really saddened me because I was getting sick of the lag and other aspects of ESO and really wanted to find a new home. But I'm just not willing to move out of my comfy mansion to go live in a hovel. 

The bottom line is: I would be playing WAR if it was even half as good as ESO, but really its not. Despite that, I would encourage anyone who is looking for a RvR game to check out WAR. Even though I found it to be lacking compared to more recent offerings, it still has a lot of character and you might like it. 

Thats actually a fair enough answer, but i will tell you , and i do not think you did ..

If you didn not play War (this version) to where you are equipped in Vanq in T4 you really would not have an understnading of the RvR at all
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Lol.

Thats actually a fair enough answer, but i will tell you , and i do not think you did ..

If you didn not play War (this version) to where you are equipped in Vanq in T4 you really would not have an understnading of the RvR at all
    Well, that in itself is quite a problem. 
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Scorchien said:
    YashaX said:

Lol.

Well, that in itself is quite a problem. 

Not really , you could get there in a couple months , playing hard