Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phantasy Star Online 2 - The Road to Playable

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imagePhantasy Star Online 2 - The Road to Playable

Steven takes a look at the PC port of Phantasy Star Online 2, and his experience over the past week getting it playable.

Read the full story here

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    no, the issues was completely avoided, they just had to not use microsoft store, all issues come from it
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

OG_Zorvan said:

no, the issues was completely avoided, they just had to not use microsoft store, all issues come from it

Except it was SEGA's job to make sure the game worked with the store, not Microsofts. Microsoft gives you a platform and an app dev kit. Rest is up to the developer.

It worked perfectly fine on the Xbox one upon launch too. Not sure where the hangup is with the storefront on PC and the devs.

Also is anyone else having an issue where they cannot access normal forums here? I can only access the news articles. On two separate PC's using different browsers.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    The problem with the microsoft store is that you don't have permission to access the files even if you're an admin. Something with these permissions is screwing up with the game.
    KhebelnMcSleazdoomexalkarionlog

• blazingcutblazingcut Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Well I played for 8 hours getting to level 50 and must say game is not worth the try. Combat is sure fun but everything else is one big mess. No clear direction, quests are random, main and sub class are pointless since you learn skills from drop anyway. And the main hub is lag fest. No hiding players, npc are all over the place, so many times i have to google.

One more thing: player market need real money to open shop and trade. I get it, it’s f2p and microtrasaction is no surprise but why cost money just to sell to other players?

Overall: 5/10
    arBishopMikehasausagemix
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Well I played for 8 hours getting to level 50 and must say game is not worth the try. Combat is sure fun but everything else is one big mess. No clear direction, quests are random, main and sub class are pointless since you learn skills from drop anyway. And the main hub is lag fest. No hiding players, npc are all over the place, so many times i have to google.

One more thing: player market need real money to open shop and trade. I get it, it’s f2p and microtrasaction is no surprise but why cost money just to sell to other players?

Overall: 5/10
    It's clear you don't understand the game, and that's fine. I won't say it's for everyone. Main and Sub classes do give you access to skills by the way. And yes, if you want to sell to people on the shop, the easiest way is paying for it, or you can get lucky with the FUN scratch tickets, which are free to earn, and a rare drop is a personal shop ticket which allows you to open the shop for 3 days. 

There's a lot to learn about PSO2, but if you start any MMO.. as most of them are between 4 to 10 years old, you'll experience the same thing.
    Valdheimdefroststar

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

OG_Zorvan said:

Anybody willing to jump through even one hoop just to play an 8 year old game, that was outdated when it released new 8 years ago, is just completely mindblowing.

Yeah after watching tons of videos of this game i just don't get the hype. Its really funny watching the npc's speaking English out of sync with their mouths.
    Khebeln
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited June 2020
    The Road to Playable.

A great expansion name for every mmorpg ever launched.

I already knew i was going to pass on this till the fall, so busy in WoW and SWG, but, i never expected this, i actually came back here at launch on the fence, hoping some OMG having a blast, having so much fun posts would totally make me cave and get it. Yep, fall sounds perfect!
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Except it was SEGA's job to make sure the game worked with the store, not Microsofts. Microsoft gives you a platform and an app dev kit. Rest is up to the developer.
    If you avoid the store the game works so Occam's razor the store is the problem.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The main problem I have with all these articles/comments about fixes to the game is that there's no real time being given to see if it actually works for at least a week. Like I have said multiple times in various threads, I had 0 problems when I installed everything 'normally' until 2-3 days later when it randomly decided to delete the game. Its nice that 'work-arounds' are coming up but give it proper time before endorsing them.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Ya know what's really funny? I had no problem installing it and I play it to this day without any issues, except that I had to temporarily change region to download, unable to chat and yes the lobby lags if there are too many players around. Simple solution; move to a less crowded block! Pretty sure that has NOTHING to do with Microsoft. So.. yeah, I honestly don't know what the deal is, I think people just want to whine and tarnish a decent game just cus they lack-luster a decent PC or internet connection or whatever the hell it is that's their problem cus it certainly wasn't mine and it plays fine for me!
    maskedweaselAllwynd_01

imageimage

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

OG_Zorvan said:

kitarad said:

OG_Zorvan said:

If you avoid the store the game works so Occam's razor the store is the problem.

More accurately, the devs seeming inability to code for the store is the problem. Or, in alternate terms, how many games are on the MS store? And out of those, which ONE is having these problems?

the requirement for the game from ms store is the newest windows 10 update, it seems to me ms store is promoting their ms software rather than the game. technically an 8 years old game should be able to work on windows 7. and also my spotify on ms store just randomly broken for no reason. ms store is just feel buggy.
  • DragonofShadowsDragonofShadows Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I was able to preload the game without any problems and I haven't had any problems with the game so far other then lag in the lobby which I fixed by lowering the simplified rendering back to the default 5 from 6. I don't know, but would me not having any issues have anything to do with that I'm using the Xbox Console Companion that came preloaded with Windows 10 and not the new Xbox app for Windows 10 it keeps on asking me if I want to download when I sign out of the Xbox Console Companion?
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Never played the first one, or this one until now.

It's new to me, and I'm having a great time in it personally.
    maskedweaselPanther2103defroststarkitaradRidelynn
  • GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320
    I installed the game, ran it and got an error message it needed admin privilege's. I right clicked and clicked "sign in as admin" and still didn't work. I could login to my admin account and it would work fine, but I'm not going to login to my admin account just to play a game.

I had a similar issue with the Epic store where I couldn't install a game so after some research I found out if uninstall it and when reinstalling it direct it to install to the Program Files (x86) directory it worked. Well you can't do that when installing from the Microsoft store. I'm guessing thats the main issue. I talked to a friend who got in and he said he was playing it from his admin account so I'm guessing people who don't have a non-admin account (which I do for safety concerns) have fewer issues.

The way the store works is when installing an app it encrypts it and then locks the directory to make it harder for a hacker to get into. The thing is I think between PSO2 being installed to a directory it wasn't meant to be installed to and the encryption, as well as the anti-cheat software, it just crashes, especially if you're not in an admin account.

On Discord I'm on their PSO2 channel and I talked to someone who was a moderator and she said that they're looking to get rid of the store all together and have people download it from somewhere else. We'll see. Until I read its fixed I'll just wait, I'm not going to fuss with it.
    kitaradTuor7
  • dipzicanwondipzicanwon Member UncommonPosts: 17

TaishiFox said:

Ya know what's really funny? I had no problem installing it and I play it to this day without any issues, except that I had to temporarily change region to download, unable to chat and yes the lobby lags if there are too many players around. Simple solution; move to a less crowded block! Pretty sure that has NOTHING to do with Microsoft. So.. yeah, I honestly don't know what the deal is, I think people just want to whine and tarnish a decent game just cus they lack-luster a decent PC or internet connection or whatever the hell it is that's their problem cus it certainly wasn't mine and it plays fine for me!

OG_Zorvan said:

kitarad said:

OG_Zorvan said:

More accurately, the devs seeming inability to code for the store is the problem. Or, in alternate terms, how many games are on the MS store? And out of those, which ONE is having these problems?

I tried everything he went through on the article to get the game running and it won't run giving me some error on the patcher after downloading like 60gb about some Mutable folder too. Googled it and started reading threads upon threads over a billions of privileges I had to mess with and I was like nah not gonna bother.

I'm sure if more people would not bother they would actually care to try fixing it.

I also played Forza Horizon 4 for over 300+ hours with no issues whatsoever using the Microsoft Store.
  • GuintuGuintu Member UncommonPosts: 320

TaishiFox said:

OG_Zorvan said:

kitarad said:

OG_Zorvan said:

I tried everything he went through on the article to get the game running and it won't run giving me some error on the patcher after downloading like 60gb about some Mutable folder too. Googled it and started reading threads upon threads over a billions of privileges I had to mess with and I was like nah not gonna bother.

I'm sure if more people would not bother they would actually care to try fixing it.

I also played Forza Horizon 4 for over 300+ hours with no issues whatsoever using the Microsoft Store.

I played Cities Skylines from the store and it worked well but you can't do Mods. Also strangely enough the interface looks different from the version on Steam.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    No problems for me since Day 1.
    I could not when I tried through the store so I am trying the PSO2tweaker and bypassing the store hopefully it works this time.

• Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 193

TaishiFox said:

You're funny.

My PC can run your whole life and probably costs more than your whole family and the game still doesn't run became of the Microsoft CrappStore. If they just did a standalone installer or launched it on Steam, all those articles would not even exist.
    Tuor7strawhat0981maskedweasel
    Playing a summoner bunch of reading to do so excited. At least I hope the game won't uninstall itself using the tweaker now to launch and for the installation.

I am F2P because I am playing from Europe must go check what I am missing if I sub hope it is not a lot.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited June 2020
    kitarad said:
    Playing a summoner bunch of reading to do so excited. At least I hope the game won't uninstall itself using the tweaker now to launch and for the installation.

I am F2P because I am playing from Europe must go check what I am missing if I sub hope it is not a lot.
    Paypal seems to work. Most annoying thing about f2p is the inventory limit. You get 50 slots and everything takes up space, that includes the stuff you wear and the cosmetics skins you use on your gear.

The rest of it is perfectly doable though, you can still use the AH to buy stuff from for instance, just not sell.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranMsGamerlady
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited June 2020
    I saw that the shop checks the address on the paypal and the address that you register on the shop and if they don't match the card cannot buy the AC.

**Try a different way to pay Or change your Microsoft Store region. The region where your payment method was issued and your Microsoft Store region need to match.

PUR-RiskRejected-CrossRegion AjWFDLIIVEG56WKo.0.0.24.11 2020/05/31 - 09:04:46 UTC*

picture of error

Think using PlayAsia and gift cards is the only way.

@lahnmir have you managed it from outside US with a paypal issued with an address and different region?

• DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    kitarad said:
    I saw that the shop checks the address on the paypal and the address that you register on the shop and if they don't match the card cannot buy the AC.

**Try a different way to pay Or change your Microsoft Store region. The region where your payment method was issued and your Microsoft Store region need to match.

PUR-RiskRejected-CrossRegion AjWFDLIIVEG56WKo.0.0.24.11 2020/05/31 - 09:04:46 UTC*

picture of error

@lahnmir have you managed it from outside US with a paypal issued with an address and different region?

paypal didn't work for me either, asking for an US address. Don't want to fake one either because its linked to my main email else i would :).

But apparently you still need an US address linked to your account even to use gift cards, dunno if that is true tho?...

Seriously tho, everyone should use pso2 tweaker, even if you think you have no issues (i've had none with the install/uninstall bs) but fps stutter when moving next to other players in the lobby was unbearable.

Apparently its something to do with the games launcher, if your able to get into the game directory and run the pso2.exe instead of the launcher it fixes it to. But its alot more easier to just get this tweaker so you don't need to ass around with microsoft permissions.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    DXSins said:
    kitarad said:

picture of error

paypal didn't work for me either, asking for an US address. Don't want to fake one either because its linked to my main email else i would :).

But apparently you still need an US address linked to your account even to use gift cards, dunno if that is true tho?...

Seriously tho, everyone should use pso2 tweaker, even if you think you have no issues (i've had none with the install/uninstall bs) but fps stutter when moving next to other players in the lobby was unbearable.

Apparently its something to do with the games launcher, if your able to get into the game directory and run the pso2.exe instead of the launcher it fixes it to. But its alot more easier to just get this tweaker so you don't need to ass around with microsoft permissions.
    So here's the thing. I play a lot of games that aren't in my country of origin. For the most part, you can setup a secondary Paypal account for those regions, if you have to, you can use a free vpn for IPs in that region so that it auto detects the region.  Once you set it up with whatever the fake information is, you would have to attach a credit card or whatever to get started usually, but not necessarily. Sometimes I just send myself money into that paypal account, sometimes it asks me to put in a bank account, but most of the time paypal gives you the option to keep the money in that account. Then you just top it up with however much you want to spend and use it that way. 

Other users are saying that they bought US Xbox Gift Cards, and changed their region on the Xbox Store before applying it. I don't know what is easier.  Paypal seems to work for a lot of people, but maybe it's not as simple as it could be. I don't know specifically why they region lock it, but US Xbox codes are available digitally at a lot of retailers. Even key resellers like cdkeys has them. 

Again, I can only speak to my personal experience with using paypal, but reading reddit there seems to be several other ways to get AC.

Right now there's also a special deal going for gamepass users, if you log into gamepass from and XBOX NA account, you can get a free code that gives you a bunch of stuff like scape dolls and 500 AC, which will get you a couple bag expansions and stuff like that.