Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are You Really, Really Scared Now?

2»

Comments

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    Asheram said:
    Asheram said:
    Cleffy said:
    It's no where near a bad strain of the flu. People underestimate the flu. The Spanish flu killed something like 19 million people. In today's world it would have been over 100 million.
    The spanish flu killed 50 million worldwide, with around 675000 deaths in the US.

The Coronavirus is not the Spanish Flu.  The Spanish Flu was much, much worse.  But for some reason, civilization did not end, nor was it entirely transformed, by the Spanish Flu.
    Why are you responding to this, I was merely informing cleffy that his numbers were low, never said covid-19 was the spanish flu. 

Okay.  Anyway, it's mainly the very old and people with existing health conditions (the sick and weakly) that die from the Coronavirus. 
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy,” said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy’s coronavirus contagion."

"Spain on Monday reported no official deaths from the new coronavirus in a 24-hour period for the first time since March."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

"Finally, we can say with confidence what many of us have suspected for weeks: not only is the end of the pandemic now in sight but also the people best-placed to recharge our economy have little to fear from it.

Thanks to definitive figures released yesterday by Public Health England, we know that Covid-19 is not a random killer, but one that targets specific groups – namely the old and those with pre-existing conditions such as diabetes or dementia.

The statistics are astounding: those aged over 80 are fully 70 times more likely to die of the disease than those under 40, while being morbidly obese increases your risk of dying by two and a half times. And fortunately the death rate among children is very low."

"Did UK's coronavirus crisis peak BEFORE lockdown? Research suggests darkest day of the outbreak was March 18 – five days before draconian measures were introduced (and it happened in Norway too…)

Modelling by a mathematician at University of Bristol shows Britain's infection rate peaked on March 18

The calculation is based on data that indicates average Covid-19 victim dies 23 days after being infected

The study throws into question whether Britain's lockdown - imposed on March 23 - was actually needed"

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Cleffy said:
    Cleffy said:
    I think we can trust that the US system is over-reporting and socialized systems are under-reporting. The guidance is to report anyone with covid-19 or has the symptoms and not tested as the cause of death. This is further enforced by funding being directed at covid-19 patients. Socialized systems are incentivized not to in order to make the system look better. 

Why would it make socialized systems look better because they might have less covid-19 patients?
    Something like covid-19 deaths is negative press for a politician. The number reported by socialized systems is something the politician can control. On the other hand in the US covid patients and death is linked to funding. The incentives are different because the person making the decision has a different set of accountability. 

Why would people blame politicians for covid-19 deaths?  Seems like most Western governments have been doing quite a lot to supposedly stop the spread of the virus.  Although Sweden seems to be only European country which didn't enact a lockdown.  Have a tremendous amount of deaths occurred in Sweden? 
    It's very negative because the opposition will grapple onto the number as a failure if it's any number above 0.
    Right now, President Trump has very little control over the response due to the federalist system. His administration has been issuing guidelines and filling in gaps where needed. This hasn't stopped the opposition from blaming every single covid-19 related death on him. Even when it was a dumb decision made by a governor like putting people infected with the virus in nursing homes. 
  • killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Cleffy said:
    Cleffy said:
    I think we can trust that the US system is over-reporting and socialized systems are under-reporting. The guidance is to report anyone with covid-19 or has the symptoms and not tested as the cause of death. This is further enforced by funding being directed at covid-19 patients. Socialized systems are incentivized not to in order to make the system look better. 

Why would it make socialized systems look better because they might have less covid-19 patients?
    Something like covid-19 deaths is negative press for a politician. The number reported by socialized systems is something the politician can control. On the other hand in the US covid patients and death is linked to funding. The incentives are different because the person making the decision has a different set of accountability. 

Why would people blame politicians for covid-19 deaths?  Seems like most Western governments have been doing quite a lot to supposedly stop the spread of the virus.  Although Sweden seems to be only European country which didn't enact a lockdown.  Have a tremendous amount of deaths occurred in Sweden? 
    Yes. The death tolls in sweden are factually much higher in percentage compared to the rest of scandinavia, who closed down the country. Iceland, with the strictest lockdown, didnt (so far) experience one single death. 
    The national minister of health in Sweden resigned 3 days ago due to the numbers and admitted he and his administration highly underestimated the situation.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited June 2020
    Cleffy said:
    Cleffy said:

Yes. The death tolls in sweden are factually much higher in percentage compared to the rest of scandinavia, who closed down the country. Iceland, with the strictest lockdown, didnt (so far) experience one single death. 
    The national minister of health in Sweden resigned 3 days ago due to the numbers and admitted he and his administration highly underestimated the situation.
    Sweden killed people that didn't need to die. Shame on them for failing their people.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sweden-coronavirus-herd-immunity

Well and truly failed and needless death.

Post edited by kitarad on

Cleffy said:
    Cleffy said:

The national health minister of Sweden resigned?  Can you prove a link please?

Still not a fan of lockdowns: Sweden’s state epidemiologist says media manufactured his alleged U-turn on Covid-19 measures

Cleffy said:
    Cleffy said:
    Cleffy said:

It's very negative because the opposition will grapple onto the number as a failure if it's any number above 0.
    Right now, President Trump has very little control over the response due to the federalist system. His administration has been issuing guidelines and filling in gaps where needed. This hasn't stopped the opposition from blaming every single covid-19 related death on him. Even when it was a dumb decision made by a governor like putting people infected with the virus in nursing homes. 
    So you really believe that this virus is so deadly that taking away rights of citizens is completely justified?

Narug

kitarad said:
    Cleffy said:
    Cleffy said:

Sweden killed people that didn't need to die. Shame on them for failing their people.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sweden-coronavirus-herd-immunity

Well and truly failed and needless death.

"Tegnell has acknowledged that Sweden should have done more to properly protect care homes from the virus – a failure that has accounted for a large percentage of the country’s Covid-19 deaths. The blunder is not unique to Sweden, however. It’s believed that 40 percent of coronavirus-related deaths in the United States have occurred in nursing homes. In England, care home residents are projected to make up 57 percent of all deaths by the end of June."

Seems like the people most at fault are the 'experts' who didn't inform the public that the elderly, and those who have pre-existing health conditions, are the only ones that really need to take special precautions against the coronavirus.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    States are re-opening and are seeing a rise in cases again as a result. Why would you not want to be cautious? Better safe than sorry I say.
    Asheram said:
    States are re-opening and are seeing a rise in cases again as a result. Why would you not want to be cautious? Better safe than sorry I say.

Better free than not free.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    cheyane
    Asheram said:

Psalm 91