Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online, its alive! Sort of...

lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
Much to my surprise I got an email today giving me an update on the shambling, undead creature called Pathfinder Online. Apparently its not completely dead and is even being updated, rejoice!

See the email below:

Hi Lahnmir,

Thanks to the support of our amazing community, we've made tremendous strides since first launching Early Enrollment for Pathfinder Online:

• Settlement leaders can now build up their settlements as they wish, placing and upgrading individual structures to support their favorite activities.
  • Spellcrafters can enchant gear with hundreds of bonuses, using rare raw materials (available only for gathering in specific monster hexes) and salvage items (available only as loot from specific escalations).
  • Adventurers can face off against over 20 escalations that offer a challenge for everyone from level 1 to level 20.
  • Gatherers can find resource “gushers” that attract attacking creatures while being harvested.
  • Companies can attack each other’s vulnerable holdings to steal bulk resources, and can even use siege equipment to attack and take over enemy settlements.
  • Players can track other characters they'd like to interact with regularly in-game through Friends Lists.
  • Even inactive characters can play the game as much as they'd like in Free Trial Mode, though with some gameplay limitations (e.g., support restricted to level 6, no influence earned, no XP granted over time, can’t participate in territorial PvP games).

With all these additions and more providing a solid core of gameplay, and with countless other quality-of-life and performance improvements made along the way, we soft-launched Open Enrollment back in December. After taking some time to work out the kinks, we're ready to tell the world about the big changes Open Enrollment brought to Pathfinder Online, and about the additional improvements that continue to be made.

The biggest change we made for Open Enrollment was converting all accounts, including yours, from our original Account-Based Subscription Model to our new Character-Based Subscription Model. Now all three characters on your account can be fully active and training at the same time, and you can even log into the game with all three characters at once. You activate and manage individual characters on the in-game Character Selection Screen, using a credit for a month of game time to activate or renew each character (along with their Destiny's Twin, if they have one). Any characters you prefer to leave inactive will be in Free Trial Mode.

As part of this change, we reduced the price for a month of game time to $5 (with further discounts for purchasing six or twelve months at a time) and tripled any remaining game months on your account, along with adding two more months to any active accounts. You can see how many months of game time your account has on your Rewards page.

Launching Open Enrollment doesn't mean the end of development for Pathfinder Online. Since then, we added a new role to the game, the Combat Alchemist. With their Alchemist's Tools and Formula Books, and Bandoliers loaded with Reagents, Combat Alchemists specialize in healing and protecting allies with elixirs, buffing (while simultaneously debuffing) themselves with mutagens, or damaging enemies with bombs and other alchemical items. They have a full complement of feats to train at the Visiting Combat Alchemist Trainers, and will soon have their own structures and a new tutorial. We've also started work on transferring our servers to the cloud, upgrading to the latest version of Unity, and adding even more content to the game.

Right now we're in the middle of our Home Sweet Home Event, making this a great time to visit the Echo Woods. Until Daily Maintenance on Monday, July 6, 2020 (or later if widespread school and workplace closures continue), rare event raw materials and salvage items are available for gathering and looting, and sets of these items can be exchanged for a choice of recipes/expendables and raw ingredients.

If you have any questions at all about these changes, please contact us at [email protected], and thanks again for all your support over the years.

And call me crazy but, for 5 bucks, I might play it again for a laugh. Its not like Greymoor and PSO2 are easily playable for me right now....

/Cheers,
Lahnmir
'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Slapshot1188Iselin

Comments

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited June 2020
    nice to see. looked promising. i'll check it out sometime. only thing worries me is hte open world pvp, as i've played in those kidns of mmo's before, and just concerned about the longterm prospect of that. how do you plan to reduce griefing and discourage powerful allliances or guilds sweeping over weaker ones. how do you plan to accomodate traditional mmorpg players who're looking for RPG/PvE in the PvP MMORPG sandbox--not at all?

still worth a look.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Rhoklaw said:
    Uhm, most recent video I could find and I'm almost sorry that I watched it.

Trust me, its a bad game. That is why I was so surprised it was still going and apparently being updated.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Wasn't that the game ,the female owner "of the Pathfinder brand" gave up a ton of her money trusting some developer to build her game and it totally flopped?If i remember,i felt bad for her because i knew there was no way that game was going to be done properly on the shotty budget it had and the developer SHOULD have told her no way.

IDK maybe i am getting it wrong "aged memory",maybe it was the developer who said it can't be done properly and she said give it a shot,i just remember something wasn't right from the beginning.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Here's the best part.  It uses an XP over time method.  As far as I know they have not wiped.  So you are joining a PvP game where the existing playerbase has a 5 year head start on the Newbies :)

But just watch the video linked above or download it and check it out :)

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Here's the best part.  It uses an XP over time method.  As far as I know they have not wiped.  So you are joining a PvP game where the existing playerbase has a 5 year head start on the Newbies :)

But just watch the video linked above or download it and check it out :)

Its a mess for sure, almost ruined my keyboard with my morning coffee when I read the email.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I am not big on graphics hell I play games like Everquest P99 without hesitation. But it is more than that, there is no differentiation, no way to tell the differences in the  landscape. Everquest you can tell by rock number 2 that looks like a sitting dog or 7th boulder in Northern Ro  with a dune that looks a certain way or an orc tent on the left before the zone line. Some way to see a landscape and even if it is blocky you can still see character in there. Everquest was never boring looking and featureless.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    They are still trying to get people to pay a sub for this?