Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - May 2020 Update

2»

Comments

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    jahlon said:
    Dude... you just keep digging a bigger hole.  I never want to hear you use the words "Words Matter" again.  You lost all credibility.  You are word-weaseling just as bad as Steven.  The difference is that everyone here can see it.

Keep defending them and letting them piss off people that literally gave the company $500 by explaining to them that earliest access doesn't mean earliest access.   It's a great strategy.  There is no need for me to argue with you as it's obvious you are in hardcore defensive mode and everyone else does not need convincing.

So basically you have no argument.

I've put up volumes of stuff and you haven't actually addressed a single point of it.

I did stay on top of them.  For years to get an explanation.

Literally all I've seen from you in this entire thread is 

Compensation!!!!

You keep throwing back at me Words Matter.

Yes, they do, and we finally got them to put some words down on paper, and actually document the change from "earliest access" to the tier system.  We got Steven to explain that he made a mistake not hiring a producer early on.

You bowing out saying "there's no need for me to argue with you" is because thus far you haven't put up anything that looks like an argument.

When you sell something and do not deliver it, simply admitting you screwed up is not making things right.  The fact that you cling to that as some sort of victory just shows how low your bar is set. I'm sorry you cannot see that.  You will not be convinced and nobody else needs convincing.

So, yes, your entire point has boiled down to compensation.

Your entire argument has been at me the speaker, not at the points I've been making.  

Admitting their mistake isn't enough for you.  You have a sense of entitlement that requires you to get something tangible.  That's a fine position to have, however, it doesn't change the fact that Intrepid did make a mistake, and they did admit to the mistake, and they remapped out the order people would get brought into the testing.

Its fine that you are entitled and you want to be compensated.  As I said, it is the internet and people are free to disagree.  I just assumed someone with an 11,000 post count would be able to put up something of a better discussion.

Anyway, it has been fun and enjoyable, and while you say I won't be convinced, it is clear you are unwilling to move from your position no matter what is brought up to you.  You are square in the victimized circle and until you get your pound of flesh you will not be sated.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    jahlon said:
    Are they compensating the Kickstarter people that bought packages that promised entry to the "earliest possible access"?

I mean I'm not sure why they would need compensation.

Maybe because they sold people something saying "Earliest possible access" and then did not give them access to the earliest test?

It seems self-explanatory to me.  And whether it's the "right" decision to the company is irrelevant.  If you sell something to someone, then deliver it.  if you cannot, then you should offer them SOMETHING to make up for it.

The word "possible" is doing a lot of work in that phrase.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Considering there are disagreements in the words written "alpha earliest possible access" is plenty enough to warrant the argument that "words matter".

If they don't want confusion, then be more specific... because words matter ;)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited May 2020
    jahlon said:
    jahlon said:
    Dude... you just keep digging a bigger hole.  I never want to hear you use the words "Words Matter" again.  You lost all credibility.  You are word-weaseling just as bad as Steven.  The difference is that everyone here can see it.

Keep defending them and letting them piss off people that literally gave the company $500 by explaining to them that earliest access doesn't mean earliest access.   It's a great strategy.  There is no need for me to argue with you as it's obvious you are in hardcore defensive mode and everyone else does not need convincing.

I've put up volumes of stuff and you haven't actually addressed a single point of it.

Compensation!!!!

Yes, they do, and we finally got them to put some words down on paper, and actually document the change from "earliest access" to the tier system.  We got Steven to explain that he made a mistake not hiring a producer early on.

You bowing out saying "there's no need for me to argue with you" is because thus far you haven't put up anything that looks like an argument.

When you sell something and do not deliver it, simply admitting you screwed up is not making things right.  The fact that you cling to that as some sort of victory just shows how low your bar is set. I'm sorry you cannot see that.  You will not be convinced and nobody else needs convincing.

Your entire argument has been at me the speaker, not at the points I've been making.  

Admitting their mistake isn't enough for you.  You have a sense of entitlement that requires you to get something tangible.  That's a fine position to have, however, it doesn't change the fact that Intrepid did make a mistake, and they did admit to the mistake, and they remapped out the order people would get brought into the testing.

Its fine that you are entitled and you want to be compensated.  As I said, it is the internet and people are free to disagree.  I just assumed someone with an 11,000 post count would be able to put up something of a better discussion.

Anyway, it has been fun and enjoyable, and while you say I won't be convinced, it is clear you are unwilling to move from your position no matter what is brought up to you.  You are square in the victimized circle and until you get your pound of flesh you will not be sated.

No, again you mischaracterize the argument.   You admit they said they made a mistake and what they envisioned was not what they will deliver.   Great.   That is not a victory.  That's admitting to reality.   But even by what you admit to, there is a gap between what they originally sold and what they will give.   It's up to the COMPANY to bridge that gap.  the fact that you use phrases like "entitled", "cookies", "tantrum: to describe people that paid $500 for "earliest possible access" and did not get it is what is laughable.

WORDS MATTER!!! WORDS MATTER... blah blah blah... until suddenly they don't because they changed the words after the fact but that's OK because they admitted it. Laughable.

Answer me this question for context:  What Alpha group are you in?  Are you one of the people in one of the affected groups who are waiting for access sometime this summer or are you one of the "privileged" who actually got the earliest possible access? Or are you in a lower package that does not get access anyhow?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

tzervo said:
    itchmon said:
    The word "possible" is doing a lot of work in that phrase.
    Seems like it is their out-of-jail card, does not earn them any good will though.
    That's when I call word-weasel   ;)

[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    jahlon said:
    jahlon said:

Compensation!!!!

No, again you mischaracterize the argument.   You admit they said they made a mistake and what they envisioned was not what they will deliver.   Great.   That is not a victory.  That's admitting to reality.   But even by what you admit to, there is a gap between what they originally sold and what they will give.   It's up to the COMPANY to bridge that gap.  the fact that you use phrases like "entitled", "cookies", "tantrum: to describe people that paid $500 for "earliest possible access" and did not get it is what is laughable.

WORDS MATTER!!! WORDS MATTER... blah blah blah... until suddenly they don't because they changed the words after the fact but that's OK because they admitted it. Laughable.

Answer me this question for context:  What Alpha group are you in?  Are you one of the people in one of the affected groups who are waiting for access sometime this summer or are you one of the "privileged" who actually got the earliest possible access? Or are you in a lower package that does not get access anyhow?

So the fact that you just asked me that proves you don't actually read the posts you are responding to, so in a sense you aren't listening you are just waiting to talk, because I already answered it in a previous post.  
  • killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    Oh for fucks sake stop with the meaningless discussion. Slapshot, you sound like a bitter old fart. Jahlon, the question is pretty straight and easy. They missed on a delivery they got paid for. BUT, why the heck would Jahlon have to be responsible and answer for that? Why dont you ask the boss himself Slapshot? 

The original post was good. The semantics and WORD twisting following it, not so much, not because I dont like questions being raised, but I hate with all my guts questions being raised simply to raise questions. If theres anything more that could bring information to the developement of this game, go ahead. If we stopped with that and only focus on personal disagreement, leave it. Not that I EVER, EVER, EVER, on this site, saw Slapshot bring out something positive. Maybe apart from defending CU cause Jacobs is such a straight up honest guy always transparent......
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Personally, I feel like people with 'skin-in-the-game' so to speak, just want to see it get closer to finished, with this probably being more true for people with larger amounts invested than others (Slap and K have probably seen people in the CoE community attest to this when they followed it).

With that in mind, I can kind of understand Jahlon's approach regarding the current situation vs past narrative. With that said, I'm not going to encourage people to 'invest' in the game because this whole project has a rocky history and a lot of gaps in terms of overall planned progress (like finding out last year that they had no quests formulated in terms of narrative, even though the game was supposed to hit alpha/beta/whatever the year prior).

Pretty much, if the current investors are fine with whatever is going on and the progress the team is making, that's on them and whatever narrative they want to formulate, but anyone else should just be wary of what they are getting into if like what they are currently seeing and what to invest.
    Oh for fucks sake stop with the meaningless discussion. Slapshot, you sound like a bitter old fart. Jahlon, the question is pretty straight and easy. They missed on a delivery they got paid for. BUT, why the heck would Jahlon have to be responsible and answer for that? Why dont you ask the boss himself Slapshot? 

He wasn’t.  I asked a question on whether they were compensated. A simple “no” would have ended it.  Instead the response was saying he didn’t think there should be compensation and thus the mantle of defending the company was hoisted. I’d certainly ask Stephen if you want to bring him over.

edited May 2020
    Albatroes said:
    Pretty much, if the current investors are fine with whatever is going on and the progress the team is making, that's on them and whatever narrative they want to formulate, but anyone else should just be wary of what they are getting into if like what they are currently seeing and what to invest.
    Totally agree.  If people who paid for this are happy then 100% that’s what matters. But those people paid $500 for earliest possible access to Ashes and the guy refers to them as entitled, wanting cookies, and throwing tantrums.  Simply for wanting what they paid for.   That’s not a great path to go down.
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    [Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Albatroes said:
    Totally agree.  If people who paid for this are happy then 100% that’s what matters. But those people paid $500 for earliest possible access to Ashes and the guy refers to them as entitled, wanting cookies, and throwing tantrums.  Simply for wanting what they paid for.   That’s not a great path to go down.
    Just to be clear... "the guy" you're referring to as characterizing backers as "entitled, wanting cookies, and throwing tantrums" is Jhalon the streamer, not Stephen the developer, correct?

I ask because your last sentence "That’s not a great path to go down" seems to be talking about a marketing, promises and development path for the developers.
    Slapshot1188
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• killimandroskillimandros Member UncommonPosts: 64
    This site used to be a great place to come and get relevant information about mmos- Now its mostly a place where a handful of guys spend their time twisting words. See, when I clicked into this article, I was interested in the progress of this game, not 2 pages of defining what the word possible can or can not mean. And the sad part is, its the same 5-6 people posting all over. This site is about to get seriously irrelevant, because theres nothing new here. Its not about mmos at this point, mmorpg.com has slowly but steadily been taken over by a small group which main interest is semantics. A couple of years ago, developers WOULD pass by to discuss. Not anymore, because why would they? Itys literally less than 10 people partaking anyway, and out of those 10, you KNOW what they will write. Jahlon will silently support and prey AoC turns out as awesome as promised while trying to maintain some status within this group- The golden guys, they dont have to type anything anymore, because simply tagging their name you know what will come next.

Instead of being a page up front with the good analysis and discussions following the analysis, its all about that Harbringer-badge now- Thats why I hardly bother passing by anymore. But it still makes me sad cause it used to be a great gathering info site.
    Babuinix
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Thanks Jahlon you do good videos, you helped me understand Archeage.
    jahlonKyleran

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    jahlon said:
    jahlon said:
    jahlon said:
    Are they compensating the Kickstarter people that bought packages that promised entry to the "earliest possible access"?

I mean I'm not sure why they would need compensation.

Maybe because they sold people something saying "Earliest possible access" and then did not give them access to the earliest test?

It seems self-explanatory to me.  And whether it's the "right" decision to the company is irrelevant.  If you sell something to someone, then deliver it.  if you cannot, then you should offer them SOMETHING to make up for it.

I mean the offer them something to make up for it, they did.  They got offered an explanation.

You always claim to call out Stephen for weak responses so I will in turn call out yours here.  That was a weak response. You are the one who has gone on rants that "words matter". I guess that's true.  Until they don't.

Ok, what should they get in compensation? 

I mean, we called him out on it.  He posted that a lot of the timelines are his fault since when he laid them out he hadn't hired a top-shelf producer.  So a lot of stuff that came out in 2017/2018 was before Babbletr0n joined the team.

I mean, if he hasn't put it in his producer's letter, I'd have jumped up and down on him, but as a project manager, very few plans survive 3 years intact.

So people need to be given a cookie when plans change?  

So I mean at the end of the day you are entitled to an explanation about what happened, but you tell me, what do they deserve to get?

For a limited time, those affected should be given the option for a full-refund.

Intrepid Studios created the package, set the terms of delivery, and assigned a price. If any part isn't delivered, then it nullifies the whole thing. Since they don't sell the different parts of the packing piecemeal, you can't really put a price on any individual part. For someone with a future conflict (terminal illness, deployment, life change, etc.) getting "earliest possible access" may have been the entire reason that someone bought the package.
    --------------------------------------------
    tzervo said:
    This site used to be a great place to come and get relevant information about mmos- Now its mostly a place where a handful of guys spend their time twisting words.
    The blame is not on the posters alone. Crowdfunded games are essentially a market for lemons, especially with the game studios twisting previously well-defined terms (Early Access vs release, Ashes of Creation BR-as-testing, CU "beta", Saga of Lucimia "pre-orders", Worlds Adrift "Early access did not get traction so we are gonna shut down" etc etc), let alone scams (like CoE or Oath).

Posters/content creators are only amplifying this due to sunken cost fallacy, stupidity or for profit. The asymetric nature of information in crowdfunding games (NDA, no product, no potential for multiple reviewers going at the game with the hope of exposing dev or single reviewer biases) means you will always have to deal with this problem in crowdfunding and sift through the noise to find the facts
    Or to put the semantics battles in simple grade 1 terms. "They started it!" :)

There's sort of an Orwellian "pigs are more equal" subtext to how this studio chose to deal with their realization that letting everyone in who had access to Alpha 1 all at once was not the best idea for testing purposes.

They could have simply gone for a random "lottery" system to let anyone whose package gave them access have an equal chance of getting in at the first 2 stages. That would have been the fairest way to do it instead of basing it on tier cost.

Which of the 3 tiers you bought into should be irrelevant for the purposes of alpha 1 access since the structure of tiers always was and still is, to give different tiers some of the same things but higher tiers getting some other additional things that presumably make those tiers more attractive.

Alpha 1 access falls squarely into "the same thing" category and to now, several years after they were purchased, turn around and say that they were in fact not the same thing is indeed a big deal.

I don't question their new realization that they need to stagger alpha 1 entry for more productive testing. But how they chose to deal with a perk that was the same by differentiating it into 3 distinct Alpha 1 a, b and c is pretty shitty way to deal with it.

Sure the people in the higher tiers gave them more money but they didn't give them more money for earlier Alpha 1 access, They did it for the other perks. That Alpha 1 access is supposed to be the exact same for all tiers that have it.

Players would understand the need to change from a guarantee to a chance at one of 3 dates to join the Alpha 1 access if the reasons for it are legit and explained well enough. But the re-definition of the meaning of one of the perks that used to be identical in 3 packages by giving it different meaning depending on tier is probably the shittiest solution they could have come up with.
    [Deleted User]Wellspring
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I dislike this game, but I stopped following it for so long I have forgotten why. Was it a permadeath game? An aging game? Someone remind me what it might be?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    I dislike this game, but I stopped following it for so long I have forgotten why. Was it a permadeath game? An aging game? Someone remind me what it might be?
    It's a "nodes" game where areas grow and change over time depending on which areas players decide to develop and then it's node v. node PvP.

They borrowed that idea from part of the EQN development plan and have some ex EQN devs working on it. 
    [Deleted User]Amathe

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Thanks.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:
    My guess is the open world PVP, with similarities to Archeage might also have been a reason for your lack of interest.
    Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon