Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon and Saga of Lucimia

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    tzervo said:

I would be happy to see them both released, regardless of whether I play them in the end or not.
    So would I although I have no intention on playing either... for science :) 

You see I have this theory that crowdfunded MMOs - any of them - are up against it when it comes to growing an audience beyond the supporters during the development phase.

And I'm not just saying this because some of them give out powerful perks to backers that affect game play putting any new post-launch player at a disadvantage. As far as I know neither of these two games do that but what they share with all the other ones is ridiculous levels of exposure and dissection to the point that the whole gaming world has spent years thinking about their features and have pretty well made up their minds to jump on or not long before they are in a launch state.

I might be wrong but my interest in them releasing is to see how that plays out.

So far Shroud of the Avatar has behaved exactly how I think this will play out for Pnatheon, SOL or any other that manages to overcome the first hurdle and actually launch.

Someone in this thread mentioned a potential problem with SOL scaling up to be able to handle large numbers of players. IMO, that should be the least of their concerns. They should be so lucky as needing to address that in their future.
    [Deleted User]YashaXKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited May 2020

Here's the big picture.  Here is dealing with the here and now.  Pantheon and Saga of Lucimia.

Stormhaven studios HAS A GAME.  Anyone can play it !

Visionary Realms refuses to acknowledge progress, let alone a game. 

To distract this FACT by posting unrelated slander from a single post on a forum is "Fake News". It has nothing to do with the fact…… yet it works because people are running with the "Fake News" that side tracts the fact one has a game and the other one has yet to prove anything.

Pantheon,

Where are the cities and towns, where is the liner game play, where are the level 1's.  All we have are loaded up files that "chosen" players are logged into…. All random, nothing liner. 

I have yet to have anyone challenge this as I mentioned this several times. This is also "fake news" when people ignore a challenge. 

Stormhaven studios has it's development flaws, but HONEST.

Visionary Realms is evasive to max level, borderline DISHONEST.

borghive49dcutbi001
    tzervo said:

Here's the big picture.  Here is dealing with the here and now.  Pantheon and Saga of Lucimia.

SoL has a playable demo that you can test/try out. If this is what you consider a game then your bar is painfully low.

Here is a bigger picture: That playable demo is very useful and relevant to backers, irrelevant to anyone else. In this sense, SoL is treating its backers way better than Pantheon (and gets bonus points for that) since they are its stakeholders and they are updated on its progress.

For everyone else, both games are like Schroedinger's cat. They might be alive or not, and they are on equal grounds. Until one of them has the cojones to claim release and get it out of the box, either could end up dead or alive.
    A demo ?
    I played it well over 8 months ago, It was a fairly flushed out LARGE ZONE. Larger than I could cover in my three days of playing and doing several runs with other players and developers.  They took us on several tours, often in different directions.... Did I mention that was over 8 months ago.

important:
    Bugs.... Not many !!....Infact here's the honest list I've encountered.

- Bandits are waiting just outside the inn waiting for unsuspected players to exit killing most if not ready.... This caused a pileup of tombstones of dead players that prevented players from exiting the inn..... It was reported and fixed within the hour. 

- Character creation made players decide on initial abilities that may haunt them throughout the game. To my knowledge at the time they were fixed and couldn't be changed. 

- Game play and animation was flawless, HOWEVER keybindings had MUCH to be desired. I've seen other players that had hesitations in what they did, so it was not just me.

- One complaint from another player after a long discussion was the healing ability didn't make sense and was very weak..... they wanted to be a healer. 

- That's it !..... Everything fixable. 

Did I mention this was 8 months ago ?

borghive49
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited May 2020
    tzervo said:

SoL has a playable demo that you can test/try out. If this is what you consider a game then your bar is painfully low.

Here is a bigger picture: That playable demo is very useful and relevant to backers, irrelevant to anyone else. In this sense, SoL is treating its backers way better than Pantheon (and gets bonus points for that) since they are its stakeholders and they are updated on its progress.

For everyone else, both games are like Schroedinger's cat. They might be alive or not, and they are on equal grounds. Until one of them has the cojones to claim release and get it out of the box, either could end up dead or alive.
    A demo ?
    I played it well over 8 months ago, It was a fairly flushed out LARGE ZONE. Larger than I could cover in my three days of playing and doing several runs with other players and developers.  They took us on several tours, often in different directions.... Did I mention that was over 8 months ago.

important:

- Bandits are waiting just outside the inn waiting for unsuspected players to exit killing most if not ready.... This caused a pileup of tombstones of dead players that prevented players from exiting the inn..... It was reported and fixed within the hour. 

- Character creation made players decide on initial abilities that may haunt them throughout the game. To my knowledge at the time they were fixed and couldn't be changed. 

- Game play and animation was flawless, HOWEVER keybindings had MUCH to be desired. I've seen other players that had hesitations in what they did, so it was not just me.

- One complaint from another player after a long discussion was the healing ability didn't make sense and was very weak..... they wanted to be a healer. 

Err....this info below comes from the SoL pledge page. (Emphasis theirs)
    ”Everything is under NDA.
    That means zero streaming, zero sharing of screenshots, and zero sharing of any information.”
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    tzervo said:

A demo ?

important:

That means zero streaming, zero sharing of screenshots, and zero sharing of any information.”
    Ok then stick up for Pantheon that gives us NOTHING !
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Tanist said:
    Raidan_EQ said:
    @Tanist

First RIP Brad, but if anything, he was leaning on more mainstream ideals closer to Vanguard than I’d say 1b developer was/is (Joppa).  Remember Brad’s everyone has pets proposal that was shot down or Joppa countering Brad’s posts?  Joppa loves EQ, and if you listen to him talk, he talks in EQ-esque terms.  There’s been no indication that the development has changed at all during the process, However, there’s always been discussion on meaningful progression in 2 hour play sessions, potential caravans, potential mentoring, potential discussion on what the death penalty will ultimately be, etc since the Kickstarter.  None of that has changed as nothing has been firmly set in stone, and it won’t be till testing.  Should they make a firm line in the sand - possibly, but it’s not like there stance has changed from saying this concrete death penalty system is now more mainstream.

My bigger issue is will it ever make it to testing as development can’t last forever (funding and/or developer interest).  If it does, like Dullahan said, it will be by far the closest thing to EQ.
    I remember Brad being a lot more "mainstream" than I liked. As you mentioned previously, he was the one that came up with Caravans, and he also was the one who wanted city to city transports (ala Vanguard style of continent to continent) to which Joppa shot him down. I see a lot of heavy push for mainstream on the site, and the videos of content do not give me confidence.

Combat is too fast, the "buffs" over head and on display defeat from the concept of self managing and getting to know skills individually. Caravans being a design allowance bothers me and shows to be an extreme exploit. Mounts are an obvious problem as it gives everyone a default run speed (I doubt they are going to make the mounts a rare drop quest as they did with J-boots).

The talk of leashing mobs is disturbing and defeats the concept of responsible movement through the zone. Call of the Hero being a spell in play also shows ignorance on the abuses it had in EQ. The perception and quest system is just a click/pop up fest, with a skill requirement that serves no real point (as opposed to a text input system where players have to think and interact). 

I can already see they are making the same mistakes as EQ by trying to "balance" class makeups rather than worrying about content usefulness (look at the classes, they are looking very cookie cutter/homogenized with numerous classes trying to cover multiple roles ala Vanguard) and there seems to be a lot of attention to that of PvP, even though it was claimed it was not focused on. 

Then there is the issue with FTP which is a death rattle for the game. That is, if they allow it to all servers, it will have an adverse effect on the game regardless of what safeguards they put in which not to mention will cause a massive drain on resources as those FTP accounts will not have a positive income influx (ie with no store to balance out expense, it is a pure loss and hope for subs which will never outbalance the FTP users).

Then there is the change to end game talk, which was never a discussion before (ie end game was always a side note, with some mention of possible raid content, but the idea that it was all "end game" was not spoke of in such a fashion, rather the "journey" was.).  

Now though, devs openly talk about "end game" using that phrase and going on about how it is am important concept of play. Take that combined with the focus on raid zones this early in the game (why are they making raid content this early on and show casing it if the game is predominately about the journey that EQ release was?).

There are so many inconsistencies, so many loose ends, so many questions that I don't trust them anymore. They are not upfront and honest on their intent, they have been wishy washy on things and the continued pandering to forum topic questions by Kilsin to ask about mainstream concepts is flipping insulting and telling at the same time. 

They are selling out, keeping thier options open. I don't doubt Joppa loves old EQ and would love to have such, but I know this... they aren't selling that, they haven't for a long time. 

Sounds like you're looking for a Classic EQ remake. I don't think that was ever the vision for Pantheon? Like RaidenEQ said, it was always going to be a new game, inspired by EQ1 AND Vanguard.

They did have specific tenants for the Vision (like Community, etc.), but I don't think the things you mentioned are a shift from the original plan. If they started talking about adding instances, then I'd be worried.

Regarding end game content, did you ever play Vanguard when it released? They failed to focus on end-game content before launch, and it really hurt the game. I can go into specifics if you want, but long story short, it was a big mess. This is Brad learning from past mistakes.
    [Deleted User]
    --------------------------------------------
  • TanistTanist Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Kyleran said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:
    From the mouth of the big meanie himself in January 2016:

Renfail said:
    A: It's Saga of Lucimia. Your title spelled it wrong. 

B: It's not a PVP game. Your thread title...roger that, you edited it :) 

C: Our pre-order store is old news. It's been open since September of 2015. 

D : Volume I is the base game, launching with 30+ zones and dungeons, and around 18-24 months of content for the average player. Volumes 2, 3, and 4 are pre-planned expansions, releasing every couple of years after the first title launches in December of 2017. 

E: Yep, we're still firm to our guns. If you don't care for what we're doing, don't play our game. We find it incredibly amusing that people who are apparently so disinterested in what we're doing, or the fact that we're sharing our progress in all its glory (from the ugly, beginning stages with bugs all the way through to launch), continue to drive traffic to our site and help us build up our following. 

Thanks for the traffic! Can't wait to show you guys what we've been working on over the holidays. Stay tuned for the next build later this Spring!
    Where is the source link?
    Google is your friend:

(hint)  "releasing every couple of years after the first title launches in December of 2017"
    That is not how it works. I am not going to do the work for you. You made the claim, you cut and pasted, surely you can provide the link? 

Here, just for those too lazy to do their own research, Tim's own words from this 2015 thread on these very forums.

(Special thanks to @bcbully who dredged this gem up back in March)

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/439876/pantheon-and-or-saga-of-lucima-will-change-everything/p2
    Why is asking that someone provide the link to see the proper context (and not some text) becoming a fanboi? Seriously, die on that hill if you like, but it is a very silly point to stand on.

Your idea of who is lazy is warped. It is customary for the one making the claim to provide the supporting information. The poster coming in, making a claim, then telling someone to Google it is lazy and backwards in such things. It is a fallacious form of discussion "Make claim, demand everyone prove them wrong". I used to fall for that approach, but I got tired of chasing to provide people support for their own arguments. If the poster can not be bothered to support their own argument, they can't be bothered to be taken seriously. 

Now, as for the link.

I see he did say that his release date was mentioned as 2017. I do find it odd they would give such a date being that early into development (though as I stated previously, I have not delved deep into their development). That was naive of him, and I understand why people are dismissive. 

In terms of him being combative with the posters, that one I completely understand. That thread from the video is perfect evidence of imbeciles who threw tantrums on certain game design decisions all the while claiming they won't play the game. Those kids are exactly why mainstream MMOs are the way they are. 

So what you call being a fan boi, is merely finding common agreement with Tim on the idiots in gaming today. What Tim seeks, I can connect with, have argued his points myself among my friends. 

I stand by what I said about their development professionalism and while it doesn't excuse the comments about release being missed, I would have to say that they are still moving on, making progress and have been completely open about their development. 

bcbully
    Sounds like you're looking for a Classic EQ remake. I don't think that was ever the vision for Pantheon? Like RaidenEQ said, it was always going to be a new game, inspired by EQ1 AND Vanguard.

They did have specific tenants for the Vision (like Community, etc.), but I don't think the things you mentioned are a shift from the original plan. If they started talking about adding instances, then I'd be worried.

Regarding end game content, did you ever play Vanguard when it released? They failed to focus on end-game content before launch, and it really hurt the game. I can go into specifics if you want, but long story short, it was a big mess. This is Brad learning from past mistakes.
    My point is not to say that is what I wanted (EQ clone). Rather it was to point out that EQ had a lot of subtle features to which made it the game it was. I think Pantheon is missing the point on some of those features and by doing so, will end up making another MMO that attempts to find what EQ discovered, but fails.

If you look back to RaidenEQ, there are some things he conceded that they have made as bad decisions, and some he disagrees with me over then as was mentioned by someone else, some things are still up in the air. 

There is a lot that is.. well... the tone of change I see. They are subtle discussion changes, comments here and there, changes in attention to various arguments that I have noticed over the years. It is hard to explain, but it is a "trend" began to notice over the years being in alpha and betas of other games. I watched the same "trend" or movement away from the core direction of the game with LotRO when it transitioned from Alpha, to Beta, and then Open beta. I could see the demeanor of the devs change, the word speak change, subtle things that began to serve mainstream. This I am noticing with Pantheon. 

If you read the forums, it is heavily inundated by FFXI, EQOA, and WoW fans. The discussions over the years went from talking about how to achieve a spiritual EQ/VG goal, to that of features and designs from mainstream games. What was considered coveted designs, are called "outdated" now. 

Now those decisions have not been set in stone, but in various comments it has concerned me. 

There are the major ones I am leery on, death penalty (anything short of a naked corpse run will be something I won't bother with), travel, etc... 

Then there are subtle elements such as combat information (over the head), class abilities, etc. that I have issue with, that seem to appeal to more mainstream design. Some were stated from the start. DPS as a role I think was a huge sell out to mainstream design, DPS IMO isn't a role, all classes do DPS and by balancing a class around it, there will be problems. 

As for Vanguard I played very little at release, my friend played a bit more, but we both gave up due to the many problems it had on release. I tried it out later, as it became less buggy, but naturally a lot of mainstream features had been implemented over that time. 

The problem I have with raids is that the game then centers around it. You can see this in EQ and I think this led to its demise and why I think WoW pulled a lot of the subs. Early release EQ was more about the journey, while raiding was a part of the game, the release focus was group dungeons as raids were a small percentage of initial release. 

Over Kunark and Velious, raids increased, but there was still a large component of group content and play. Once GOD/OOW came out, the game was clear as to what its focus was, and if you didn't raid, you struggled heavily with the content as the group content began to be designed for geared raiders. This progression continued on up (not sure what it is at the later areas, but I noticed it was the same for several expansions after upon returning).

Raiding created a ton of problems in EQ and I think it destroyed a lot of the charm the game had. It turned EQ into a gimmick (yes, I did raid, I led raids throughout release -->PoP). So, I think raiding focus, "end game" as a concept is a mistake (this is one of the things that changed over the years. End game was not talked about as the focus, it was the journey and the content was to be developed to fit that. ) Keep in mind, I don't think raiding is bad, I just think if it becomes a focus, then it is a raid game, not a group game and I think that misses what EQ originally was. 

Time will tell, but I am not encouraged by what I see. I think mainstream has too much of an ear on Pantheon. Maybe when release comes, it will prove me wrong... but... here is one thing. F2P is mainstream and if your game is going to have 1-10 F2P, the people you are going to be attending to are not old school EQ players, but mainstream players and they will demand the game be fit to their ideal. I just don't see this working out in the benefit of the type of game play I desire. In that respect, SoL has provided a tone reasoning that fits more my taste. 

YashaX
    lahnmir said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:

Renfail said:

D : Volume I is the base game, launching with 30+ zones and dungeons, and around 18-24 months of content for the average player. Volumes 2, 3, and 4 are pre-planned expansions, releasing every couple of years after the first title launches in December of 2017. 

E: Yep, we're still firm to our guns. If you don't care for what we're doing, don't play our game. We find it incredibly amusing that people who are apparently so disinterested in what we're doing, or the fact that we're sharing our progress in all its glory (from the ugly, beginning stages with bugs all the way through to launch), continue to drive traffic to our site and help us build up our following. 

Thanks for the traffic! Can't wait to show you guys what we've been working on over the holidays. Stay tuned for the next build later this Spring!
    Google is your friend:

(hint)  "releasing every couple of years after the first title launches in December of 2017"
    That is not how it works. I am not going to do the work for you. You made the claim, you cut and pasted, surely you can provide the link? 

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/444693/saga-of-lucimia-is-offering-pre-orders-crowd-funding

You have to scroll through the discussion to find his comment.

Also, people don’t give links when it comes to these claims because it is common knowledge around here. It is a bit like someone challenging the fact that the skies are blue and then wants evidence, most will tell you to go look for it yourself. Not me though, I am that nice guy.

/Cheer,
    Lahnmir
    That isn't common knowledge, it is niche knowledge. The sky being blue is a universal understanding that is not specific to a certain topic of discussion and is something experienced by most people. For instance, I never followed SoL until recently and had breaks away from this forum, so missing various discussions is natural.

YashaX
    tzervo said:
    Funny thing is, a particular poster's mud flinging was aiming at making me look like I am 100% against SoL. I am not. I was specifically judging SoL lead's arrogance (and my concern of it driving his design choices instead of rational thinking) and how he addresses the gaming community in forums.

I do appreciate the fact that the SoL team is working with complete transparency, sticking to their guns in terms of their original vision, and working on this game as a passion project on top of their regular jobs. This is truly admirable, and all things considered more valuable for a gamer and potential customer. But not enough to put them on a pedestal.

Re Pantheon or SoL, show me a released game and I will vote with my wallet. Until then, any difference in progress between the two is not relevant to the average consumer.

I would be happy to see them both released, regardless of whether I play them in the end or not.
    What about the arrogance of the poster? This is the "tone deaf" I am talking about. The poster walks in, arrogantly dismisses a design decision by the developer, calls it bad design, and says they won't play it. 

See, what I dislike about mainstream is how arrogant they are about certain designs.

Over the years, I have heard pretentious little twits go on about how not having a map is silly, that death penalties being harsh are a waste, that they play the game for their fun and so deserve to play it as they want and anyone who dares to create a game that does not serve that is... "bad design". 

They say this while they have 100's of games out there that give them EXACTLY what they want, but they are apparently so dense they can't be bothered to play what they want, what they really want is to play a new game, designed like all the rest of the games. It is idiocy at its finest. 

Look, you don't see me going to mainstream games, demanding they be the way I want them. Why? Because they made their decision, and though I disagree, It is their decision and it would be beyond arrogant for me to go to a mainstream game and demand it being traditional. The only reason I came here is because originally it was talked that Pantheon would be a spiritual successor to EQ and their tenants proclaimed to meet that concept of design. 

SoL has stated very clearly from what I have read what their ideal is, what their design goal is, what their audience is. 

How stupid does someone have to be to walk in and completely counter that and then get upset when the devs don't fall all over themselves trying to be nice by pointing out how stupid that demand is? 

FFS they go in serious depth discussing the mechanics, why they have them the way they do, and all I saw from that post was "Waaah!!!! I want my mainstream feature!!! WAahahha!!!"

It was silly and deserved to be taken to task. maybe then people will go somewhere else, as it is clear they don't want that game, they want a game made the way they want it counter to the developers vision.  

Yeah, talk about arrogance? /facepalm

delete5230KyleranYashaX
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2020
    The sky is not blue....just saying.Kind of leads to something i already know,people don't think much.
    A few hints ..
    3 cones/retina RGB,gee we have seen those 3 letters before haven't we.
    color wave lengths
    The real color and there might be some science to prove otherwise is >>>>Violet.It is just how our eyes "perceive it".

Someone said they don't think a classic EQ remake was ever the vision of this game?IDK about that imo it was the selling point,it was EXACTLY what the team had in mind.I am not even sure that all of their current ideas were there in the beginning.I believe their semi instancing ideas came about during design creation.

Just like with Vanguard,they did expect to deliver a few new ideas,which is usually a good thing.

I read over the original FAQ page full of information,i liked what i read,i liked what i heard from Brad,so all seemed decent enough.I do however feel they changed their original plot a tad bit and not for the better,maybe better for them but not us.That is of course depending on each individual and what YOU want from a mmorpg.

I think it is TOO simple to simply say forced grouping or not,instancing or not,it is the implementation of design ideas that matter the most.An example linear questing with yellow markers over npc's,a terrible idea,however SOME studios go one further,they have you walk 5 feet from npc A to npc B....congratulations,you are now level 2 !!!!!

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    The sky is not blue....just saying.Kind of leads to something i already know,people don't think much.

Seriously? You do realize the discussion was a metaphorical means irrelevant to the point of factual evidence.

Understanding context of a discussion is key to making a valuable point. What you did was walk in and pat yourself on the back for giving a fact that is irrelevant. 

Narcissist much?
    YashaX
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited May 2020

To distract this FACT by posting unrelated slander from a single post on a forum is "Fake News". It has nothing to do with the fact…… yet it works because people are running with the "Fake News" that side tracts the fact one has a game and the other one has yet to prove anything.

Pantheon,

Where are the cities and towns, where is the liner game play, where are the level 1's.  All we have are loaded up files that "chosen" players are logged into…. All random, nothing liner. 

I have yet to have anyone challenge this as I mentioned this several times. This is also "fake news" when people ignore a challenge. 

Why is it people with the biggest "truth" hangups are always the most dishonest?

Visionary Realms refused nothing of the sort. They provide progress reports on a monthly basis in text and video formats.

You know good and well Pantheon has a working client that people have played. There are dozens of publicly available videos, some even showing the launching of the game and at least a portion of it in a playable state.

If that isn't enough for you, you're within your right to think and say so. Lets just not pretend that because you don't like it, that it doesn't exist.
    [Deleted User]AmatheSensaiSovrathYashaXdcutbi001

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Kyleran said:
    tzervo said:

A demo ?

important:

Nothing? Like all the streams of multiple people, multiple groups playing? All the while you’re gloating about ONE ZONE?!

I knew you had issues, but I think it’s worse than that. 
    [Deleted User]Sovrathdcutbi001
    Dullahan said:

Pantheon,

Why is it people with the biggest "truth" hangups are always the most dishonest?

Visionary Realms refused nothing of the sort. They provide progress reports on a monthly basis in text and video formats.

You know good and well Pantheon has a working client that people have played. There are dozens of publicly available videos, some even showing the launching of the game and at least a portion of it in a playable state.

If that isn't enough for you, you're within your right to think and say so. Lets just not pretend that because you don't like it, that it doesn't exist.
    Yeah, they have been good about communicating the tasks they are working on, I don't fault them for that. My only issue with them is communicating what those tasks add up to (ie estimates on completions to various goals such as Alpha, Beta, etc...).

If they miss a estimate, that doesn't bother me. Things happen, but if they can never give an estimate because they can never achieve its goal, well... that does not bode well for them. 
    YashaX
    tzervo said:
    Tanist said:
    What about the arrogance of the poster? 
    I understand your frustration and I share it and agree with lots of your points. But the expectations I have from a random internet dude are not the same as those I have from a studio lead, full stop.

We are both repeating ourselves at this point. Feel free to make a separate thread and I can join if you wish, for the sake of the sanity of the other readers. Otherwise I will stop here regarding this tangent. I agree with @delete5230 on this single thing alone, I should not have started it, it is not as relevant as I initially felt to this thread - apologies to both.

Don't misunderstand me on this though Delete, my opinion re Pantheon vs SoL in my last answer to you (the big picture) still stands  >:)
    Fair enough, and this is my final response to you concerning this.

I understand the need to "be above" certain behaviors, but there is also a point where... well.. to be plain and simple, you do not suffer idiots and honestly, I think those who seek out a game that obviously is not of their focus of play and complain (in that thread, troll) the developer over development concepts which are obviously settled, is... well... being an idiot and there comes a point where letting the idiot think they have a point is harmful (case in point, games today). 

So, I do understand your perspective of it, I disagree and in fact that is why I respect SoL and its developers more as they are not afraid to call idiots... idiots, which means they put their ideals on development above pandering to the cash crowd. 
    YashaX
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited May 2020
    Tanist said:
    Kyleran said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:

Renfail said:

Google is your friend:

Here, just for those too lazy to do their own research, Tim's own words from this 2015 thread on these very forums.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/439876/pantheon-and-or-saga-of-lucima-will-change-everything/p2
    Why is asking that someone provide the link to see the proper context (and not some text) becoming a fanboi? Seriously, die on that hill if you like, but it is a very silly point to stand on.

Your idea of who is lazy is warped. It is customary for the one making the claim to provide the supporting information. The poster coming in, making a claim, then telling someone to Google it is lazy and backwards in such things. It is a fallacious form of discussion "Make claim, demand everyone prove them wrong". I used to fall for that approach, but I got tired of chasing to provide people support for their own arguments. If the poster can not be bothered to support their own argument, they can't be bothered to be taken seriously. 

Now, as for the link.

I see he did say that his release date was mentioned as 2017. I do find it odd they would give such a date being that early into development (though as I stated previously, I have not delved deep into their development). That was naive of him, and I understand why people are dismissive. 

In terms of him being combative with the posters, that one I completely understand. That thread from the video is perfect evidence of imbeciles who threw tantrums on certain game design decisions all the while claiming they won't play the game. Those kids are exactly why mainstream MMOs are the way they are. 

So what you call being a fan boi, is merely finding common agreement with Tim on the idiots in gaming today. What Tim seeks, I can connect with, have argued his points myself among my friends. 

I stand by what I said about their development professionalism and while it doesn't excuse the comments about release being missed, I would have to say that they are still moving on, making progress and have been completely open about their development. 

Wow, in the same thread Refail said they started 18 months prior to going public on the mmorpg forums. 

SoL has been in development since 2013. 7 years and in still “Alpha stage 3” whatever the hell that means...

edit- oh and a new launch date of 4th qt 2021. You do the math.
    YashaX
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited May 2020
    tzervo said:
    A demo ?
    According to this, ArenaNet sold me 25 games in the price of 1 with GW2. Amazing! I feel I am ripping them off.
    A HUGE ZONE..... over 8 months ago. 

As large as at least half of the Human, Charr, Sylvari or Norn. 

A totally different game where stepping out of the Inn could kill you.  Very scary with day and night cycles.  You can live in this zone forever..... 8 months ago.... 2021 release date sounds fitting... easily !

I think I payed like $20 to play it, anyone can.. they have the balls to let people see their accomplishments.
    [Deleted User]
    bcbully said:
    Tanist said:
    Kyleran said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:

Renfail said:

Google is your friend:

Now, as for the link.

Wow, in the same thread Refail said they started 18 months prior to going public on the mmorpg forums. 

SoL has been in development since 2013. 7 years and in still “Alpha stage 3” whatever the hell that means...

So, what is your point as it concerns this thread and Pantheon? 

We know SoL is being developed by "new" developers (ie novices to the industry). We also know they have been VERY transparent. They have missed some dates... yep... so what? They continue to be transparent (though they are going dark recently as they say to focus on the development, yet only in terms of advertising to sites like these). 

Contrast that with Pantheon who ALSO has made claims on release dates and have missed them. 

So what is your point?

Everything you could accuse SoL of, Pantheon has done... Yet.. it CAN NOT be contested that SoL has been "closed" in their development. 

So, again... I say..  So What? What is your point? 

Please explain. 
    YashaX
    edited May 2020
    Tanist said:
    bcbully said:
    Tanist said:
    Kyleran said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:
    Tanist said:
    YashaX said:

Renfail said:

Google is your friend:

Now, as for the link.

So, what is your point as it concerns this thread and Pantheon? 

We know SoL is being developed by "new" developers (ie novices to the industry). We also know they have been VERY transparent. They have missed some dates... yep... so what? They continue to be transparent (though they are going dark recently as they say to focus on the development, yet only in terms of advertising to sites like these). 

Contrast that with Pantheon who ALSO has made claims on release dates and have missed them. 

So what is your point?

Everything you could accuse SoL of, Pantheon has done... Yet.. it CAN NOT be contested that SoL has been "closed" in their development. 

So, again... I say..  So What? What is your point? 

Please explain. 
    My point? Expect renfail to pop up around Christmas for another alpha “phase” presale.

Same thing for years bro...
    Post edited by bcbully on
    borghive49[Deleted User]
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Considering all we actually know, the only thing I can come up with that sounds logical is that delete is angry that he can't spend as little as $20 to play pantheon in alpha/pre-alpha/whatever like he can with SoL, so there for the only thing he can deduce is that there is no game. When in reality most games don't let you see anything before beta (REAL beta, not the fake alpha/beta crap AAA companies have been lying about lately).

If you remove that one aspect the only thing I can think of is that he's trying very hard to discredit Pantheon and promote SoL since they cater to a very similar player base.

I think he's just an SoL shill, tbh, and comes up with as many excuses to attempt to sabotage Pantheon as he can.
    Sovrathbcbullydcutbi001
    Considering all we actually know, the only thing I can come up with that sounds logical is that delete is angry that he can't spend as little as $20 to play pantheon in alpha/pre-alpha/whatever like he can with SoL, so there for the only thing he can deduce is that there is no game. When in reality most games don't let you see anything before beta (REAL beta, not the fake alpha/beta crap AAA companies have been lying about lately).

If you remove that one aspect the only thing I can think of is that he's trying very hard to discredit Pantheon and promote SoL since they cater to a very similar player base.

I think he's just an SoL shill, tbh, and comes up with as many excuses to attempt to sabotage Pantheon as he can.
    Nah he’s just conflicted and easily swayed. Check his post history.
    delete5230YashaX
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I remember a few years ago when Delete would post a new excited Pantheon thread like every day, even if he didn't have anything coherent to say.

I guess things change, just not the lack of coherence.
    bng28bcbullyIselinYashaXBeansnBreadAmatheWellspringdcutbi001

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Kyleran said:
    tzervo said:

A demo ?

important:

/Wooooooooooossssssshhhhhhh

Amathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

bcbully said:
    My point? Expect renfail to pop up around Christmas for another alpha “phase” presale.

Same thing for years bro...
    I am not sure how missing one date validates the premise that the game is a scam. 

If that is the case, then every game here is a scam. 
    SovrathYashaX