Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Phantasy Star Online 2 Working with Microsoft to Resolve PC Launch Issues

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imagePhantasy Star Online 2 Working with Microsoft to Resolve PC Launch Issues

Phantasy Star Online 2 is now working in collaboration with Microsoft regarding the download and launch issues that have been plagueing it on Windows 10 since it went live earlier this week.

Read the full story here

Comments

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    I'm pretty busy in SWG and WoW anyway so, take all the time you need to get it right, no rush.

Being facetious we've waited 8 years whats another few weeks right?

tbh i was hoping to read all kinds of OMG loving it on the PC stories here and make me cave and then dive in this weekend.

Being real though, i have to remember i'm playing in "real" mmorpg's, SWG and WOW, where one alone is overwhelming and completely overloaded with stuff to do, let alone juggling two as i do. A third? Really? I don't have infinite time, so i'm targeting this coming fall winter and check in on this again.
    Whiteshade92alkarionlog
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • RedFireCERedFireCE Member UncommonPosts: 49
    shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

me
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    xpsync said:
    I'm pretty busy in SWG and WoW anyway so, take all the time you need to get it right, no rush.

tbh i was hoping to read all kinds of OMG loving it on the PC stories here and make me cave and then dive in this weekend.

Being real though, i have to remember i'm playing in "real" mmorpg's, SWG and WOW, where one alone is overwhelming and completely overloaded with stuff to do, let alone juggling two as i do. A third? Really? I don't have infinite time, so i'm targeting this coming fall winter and check in on this again.

why WoW is in the real MMo? its stoped to be even a MO some years ago
    Allwynd_01Rukushin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Shame.. no eu servers.. gg idiots
    Portzdoomex
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The deal MS made with Sega was all about Xbox. They never cared about the PC part. So now they are paying the price.
    Tuor7
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Love MMO launch days....lol
    Velsham25Ridelynn
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm probably in the same camp as others in the last discussion with not having any real issues with the game on pc outside some minor stuttering from time to time.

I guess the good thing about this game (and some people will come to realize over time) is that its not really a 'serious' game, so you can kind of go at your own pace with things.
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 162

xpsync said:

There will never be another MMO experience that remotely compares to SWG in any of its three iterations. I'm still loving it today, and I started in 2004.
  • Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 193

xpsync said:

why WoW is in the real MMo? its stoped to be even a MO some years ago

Last time I checked, the private server for Vanilla I'm playing is still Massively Multiplayer Online - people are talking in world chat, they randomly ask you for help with a quest when they see you run past them.

Retail WoW isn't the only iteration of WoW, you know... There is a reason why private WoW servers are still going strong, because the game is one of the best MMOs (in the older versions) and it has near-infinite replay value. You may know the story and spent 30,000 hours playing the game, but it still draws you in, like it does with me.

Classic on Blizzard disappointed me and I found exactly what I was looking for on a private server - a custom PvE/RP Vanilla server with custom content, new quests, new playable races, new NPCs, new skills and professions - that is what I was hoping Blizzard would do with Classic, but they were quick to jump to TBC at the first opportunity.
  • Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    After trying to get PSO 2 to work a few times, I ultimately gave up. The culprit here is the broken Microsoft Store, which deletes or corrupts the game files, the UWP app that is required to log into your account, again property of Microsoft, doesn't launch at all...

The only solution I see is for the game to be released as a standalone - free from the MS Store and all the useless UWP apps. If they don't do that, it will never get fixed and the PC version for PSO 2 in the West will be dead... forever.
    I bigger problem I'm not seeing anyone talk about is how they are handling full servers, since there's no queue system in this game. You pretty much have to get 'lucky' if you want to get into your server.
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Albatroes said:
    I'm probably in the same camp as others in the last discussion with not having any real issues with the game on pc outside some minor stuttering from time to time.

I guess the good thing about this game (and some people will come to realize over time) is that its not really a 'serious' game, so you can kind of go at your own pace with things.
    The problem is you can't "go at your own pace" if the damned game keeps disappearing from your hard drive, or refuses to launch when you hit the play button....
    Just Sayin'
    edited May 2020

Albatroes said:

The problem is you can't "go at your own pace" if the damned game keeps disappearing from your hard drive, or refuses to launch when you hit the play button....
    Just Sayin'

That does suck for people with those issues. Mine was just directed at those who do not have the 'outside' issues stated. In fact, its something Sega does need to address while this is going on now on Microsoft's side. Point is, both groups are dropping the ball in different areas. You're just not 'behind' so to speak if you can't get in on the first week, like say a game like WoW/Archeage/what-have-you.
  • SainguinSainguin Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Where are all the Microsoft/SEGA fanboys this time?

Ya'll love to run to the defense of massive corporations that screw up game launches and try to blame it on the customers.

Come on guys. Now that they admitted it's their problem why don't you tell more people how they're just bad people pirating Windows and not doing updates?
    LeFantome
  • KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173
    PSA for those that do want to play now: USE PSO2 TWEAKER. It's the same launcher used to play the JP version with the english patch, and has been made compatible with the NA version now too. It's THE ONLY WAY I have gotten the game to work reliably and they're still making fast improvements.

https://arks-layer.com/
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Still no eu servers.. gg
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    So every time the PC restarts, the game gets broken and needs to be redownloaded ( 70GB) that takes around whole day with Microsoft server speeds.

Than when you are finally fed up with bullshit you try to uninstall the broken game. But you can not.

You have 80 GB folder that is protected and undeletable.

• doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    If you ever want to play this game. Don't install it thru microsoft store. Just download it and follow PSO2Tweaker guide. You will get 0 suttering in lobby also.
  • SparkaSparka Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Too late, all they had to do was have a beta, but they clearly do not care, in fact they may even hate the PC crowd. F*** Sega.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

doomex said:

If you ever want to play this game. Don't install it thru microsoft store. Just download it and follow PSO2Tweaker guide. You will get 0 suttering in lobby also.

Any link to that ?

edited May 2020
    Looks like I jinxed myself. Played for a few hours last night with no real issues, now this morning it wont even start. Seems like it deleted the entire install (at least according to the file size but the GB is still missing on my hd). Foolish of me to give Microsoft Store the benefit of the doubt. And this is definitely not helping: https://forum.pso2.com/topic/2698/hdd-space-not-given-back-after-uninstall Granted there are work arounds to find/delete the rogue folders but should people have to really go through all of this?
    Post edited by Albatroes on
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915

doomex said:

Any link to that ?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/gtpnud/some_tips_on_how_to_avoidfix_issues_game_not/

Check this thread for step by step instructions and the link to the PSO2 tweeker is in the thread.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited May 2020
    Albatroes said:
    Looks like I jinxed myself. Played for a few hours last night with no real issues, now this morning it wont even start. Seems like it deleted the entire install (at least according to the file size but the GB is still missing on my hd). Foolish of me to give Microsoft Store the benefit of the doubt. And this is definitely not helping: https://forum.pso2.com/topic/2698/hdd-space-not-given-back-after-uninstall Granted there are work arounds to find/delete the rogue folders but should people have to really go through all of this?

No people shouldn't have to go through that. It's a big mess, that gets compounded because people don't understand what's happening. I've reinstalled the game a few times, the additional space that is taken up is because windows creates a backup of the files in the case of a failure, but it doesn't detect when the application fails properly, so it doesn't restore the file.

When the program gets hosed, its supposed to copy the files over and you get back up and working without having to redownload anything. Obviously it isn't doing that. And what most people in the thread don't realize is there are actually 4 folders where data is housed.

So if you're screwing with your permissions trying to delete something, and change a large swath of permissions on windows, you could change the inheritable permissions, which will cause the game to break more often than before, because windows store checks for those permissions when you launch the game. It's a big mess.
    Albatroes

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

doomex said:

Any link to that ?
    PSO tweaker will help with some things, like fixing some of the issues, but the best thing would be for microsoft to fix it.

The stuttering in the lobby is actually due to the launcher. The workaround is very easy, all you do is create backup of pso2.exe and rename the launcher to pso2launcher.exe.old. then rename the copy of pso2.exe to pso2launcher.exe  

That's it. It fixes the stuttering in lobbies. just make sure you're doing this in the pso2bin folder. You will need to give yourself permissions to do that.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Had to find out elsewhere since this article has zero information.

BTW all the issues existed way back in December,so it's been 5 months later,i would say they don't give a crap.

People had issues with registration because they blocked some emails.Errors with the system trying to read numbers and letters i assume from people trying to play from NA as a JPN player back in December.

So i watched this "stuttering"and it doesn't make any sense.Part of it looks like a simple issue with how their files are working together causing a hitch every time you press a directional key.Another is upon opening menus.

So apparently the fix is to rename the executable file so it bypasses the update launcher.To me this is lol and nothing to do with Microsoft.I don't know for 100% certain because i don't have the game installed but apparently has to do with files being set to read only but again doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The reason that part doesn't make sense is why the stuttering every time you click a direction or menu,the game shouldn't be checking for updates every second or two and shouldn't be directly related to pressing a directional key.So this to me sounds way more like an issue with what i saw in someone's files was GAMEGUARD.That Gameguard has always been a joke and likely causing issues while it is doing it's security checks.

Then the issue with a file being set to read only.Apparently some are claiming you just need to rename the file back to it's original name so that it can update properly when an update comes out.Well if the issue is it being set to read only ,renaming it back wouldn't solve that issue because it still wouldn't update..lol.

Bottom line,5 months later,same issues,i would say they haven't been talking to Microsoft even ONCE, just a BS excuse.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.