Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wonders: Planetfall's Newest Expansion, Invasions, Now Live

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageAge of Wonders: Planetfall's Newest Expansion, Invasions, Now Live

Invasions is the latest expansion for Age of Wonders: Planetfall, and it's live now.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2020
    I absolutely love these TYPE of strategy games but trying to find one that fits right into my niche area is really tough.This game looks like it "might be"to my liking but that video is not telling me anything.

I looked at a LOT of different 4x ,so many i would get a headache from staring at the computer screen too much.
    The biggest problem i see is these studios do a terrible job of describing their game.We need something to go on,i can't just go out and buy 100 different 4x games and HOPE 2-3 are to my liking,i prefer to know going in.

So here yet again,this is just a marketing video,it really tells me nothing other than it is a sort of sci fi type design.

What i need to know about is the micro managing because for example,i am NOT into the Civ type games where it's about religion and politics,not my cup of tea.I like itemization and gear for my heroes/generals and any others in my force.

LARGE scale designs like the recent Three kingdoms game is just micro managing a lump sum of troops.I want to micro manage EACH individual and have LESS to worry about.

So a game i play quite a lot of over the past several years has been The Sorcerer King,i want something like that.So does this game resemble The Sorcerer King in how it is managed and played?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited May 2020
    Not played the games you mentioned, but I like Age Of games. They are not really large scale just moving a "lump sum of troops". Nor are they like Civ with religion and politics as a overarching concern. There are "heroes" but not sure the level of itemization would be what you want. I suggest watching a you tube video.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2020
    I don't think it has the micro managing i seek but after lot's of looking around it seems like a series worth playing.

Now all i have to do is figure out the best option/pricing.

So i assume the chrono order is AOW..AOW2 then the planetfall+++DLC stuff.Then i see "seasons pass"i assume that is a gimmick whereby they promise you pay to get free updates/dlc's?

I also assume if i buy the "premium"edition off of Steam for a reasonable $51 which is Planetfall+++ i don't need to buy AOW/AOW2?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I have the base game,  I will not be buying any of their expansions.  I like strategy games,  but this one failed to keep my interest.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    I'm afraid this series is going to fall into the paradox expansion scheme where it has expansion after expansion. I like their games but look at eu iv it has 30 exspasions it starts to add up.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    I can't comment on what package to get, but you are an old hand so you know how carefully you have to examine the options. You could post on the steam forum, that's what I do when I read everything and still can't be sure. That's always worked so far for me.