Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An interesting expose on Camelot Unchained development

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Here's a recent video about the development of CU.  Some of it's factual, some is opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6ZksoXI_f8
BruceYee[Deleted User]

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I'm not sure why I think anyone still cares enough to watch the full 21 minutes like I did.
    Quizzicalmeddyck
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited May 2020
    I've always thought that the strangest thing about this project was the trust that people give to Mark Jacobs. He's lied, he's been irresponsible, he has misrepresented, and yet his charisma seems to get people to ignore it. And I will admit that he has a personality that you just want to forgive for whatever reason. But it's time to let this one go. 

It's like the fans of failed Kickstarters like to say: when you put your money in, it's a gamble. Whelp, you rolled snake eyes with this project.
    Post edited by BeansnBread on
    [Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm not sure why I think anyone still cares enough to watch the full 21 minutes like I did.
    Maybe a TLDR about what this streamer exposed that hadn't already been exposed would be good because you're right, most of us won't watch it.
    KyleranWaanJamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Maybe a TLDR about what this streamer exposed that hadn't already been exposed would be good because you're right, most of us won't watch it.
    It's essentially an analysis on the fuckery. What is new to you? Maybe not much. But it condenses a lot of things that have happened. 
    Iselin said:
    It's essentially an analysis on the fuckery. What is new to you? Maybe not much. But it condenses a lot of things that have happened. 
    New to me would be something that hasn't been discussed here 100 times.

I already know it's very late, that they went with the KS MMO standard fairy tale time line, that it's nowhere even close to beta and that they started developing this other game while saying that would not divide the attention of their tiny team.

Is there something new?
    SovrathJamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

I already know it's very late, that they went with the KS MMO standard fairy tale time line, that it's nowhere even close to beta and that they started developing this other game while saying that would not divide the attention of their tiny team.

Is there something new?
    Mmm.... It just reinforces what you are saying here.
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Is there something new?
    Mmm.... It just reinforces what you are saying here.
    Got you. So more 21 minute recap than expose then :)
    [Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    I joined the Ragnarok stress test 2 months back.  We were told if we stuck around for the whole test we would get store credit.   After the test MJ said he would send out an Email the next day.  It's now been two months.  I see questions asked about it a few weeks ago, no answer from MJ, just some people who talk about how busy MJ is...

I know it's weird but I expect people to kind of do what they say they will do.  And I know a lot has happened in the world in the last 2 months, but he seriously said he would do it "tomorrow" and hasn't been heard from since. Very disappointed.

BeansnBread[Deleted User]GiarclencheyaneSovrathmeddyckJamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Summary of the youtube video if you don't want to watch it is he(MJ) used the crowdfund money to build himself an engine that he can make money with for the rest of his life.

We need some whistleblower devs from all crowdfunded mmo projects who aren't afraid to break nda to tell us the truth about what is being said behind closed doors. If they are  afriad of legal battles perhaps a kickstarter should be set up to put money into a fund for those individuals. If all the mmo kickstarters can raise close to 1 billion total how about raising 500k-1mil for something that will be a kind of oversight for these scamsters. If law enforcement is willing to go after people selling $10 Purell bottles on amazon but unwilling to investigate these developers scamming people out of millions maybe it's up to gamers to do it themselves.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I've always thought that the strangest thing about this project was the trust that people give to Mark Jacobs. He's lied, he's been irresponsible, he has misrepresented, and yet his charisma seems to get people to ignore it. And I will admit that he has a personality that you just want to forgive for whatever reason. But it's time to let this one go. 

It's like the fans of failed Kickstarters like to say: when you put your money in, it's a gamble. Whelp, you rolled snake eyes with this project.
    Well besides his ability to deliver sincere apologies, he still offers refunds to most backer tiers so that's why people still put their trust in him to deliver.....just a matter of when.
    IselinJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShelvinarrShelvinarr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I joined the Ragnarok stress test 2 months back.  We were told if we stuck around for the whole test we would get store credit.   After the test MJ said he would send out an Email the next day.  It's now been two months.  I see questions asked about it a few weeks ago, no answer from MJ, just some people who talk about how busy MJ is...

I know it's weird but I expect people to kind of do what they say they will do.  And I know a lot has happened in the world in the last 2 months, but he seriously said he would do it "tomorrow" and hasn't been heard from since. Very disappointed.

"I'll gladly pay you tuesday for a cheeseburger today." - J. Wellington Wimpy

This quote sums up immediately what I thought of when reading about how MJ would do something "tomorrow". I miss the days when the word of someone carried more weight, and people had honor to ensure their words were not hollow. But hey, on the bright side, at least you got to stress test a game you didn't ask for/endorse by backing CU, so there's a plus. And, I heard these battle royale/wave defense games are the best around and nothing's ever gonna keep em down.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited May 2020

Wait, wut? I just comprehended what you said there, ”get store credit.”

So Ragnarok is going to be a cash shop game. Makes sense, but I missed that somehow in the original announcement.

Anyone here believe for a minute this won't find its way into CU in some form?

Yeah, yeah, I know, Mark promised CU would be sub only, but I never thought that promise would ever stand, even less so after everything that's gone down since then.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Easy steps for not having long-term anxiety about crowdfunded games

Step 1 - Back the game on kickstarter etc
    Step 2 - Forget the game exists
    Step 3 - Live a happy life
    ChildoftheShadowsAxxarmeddyckJamesGoblin
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Utinni said:
    Easy steps for not having long-term anxiety about crowdfunded games

Step 1 - Back the game on kickstarter etc
    Step 2 - Forget the game exists
    Step 3 - Live a happy life
    Hehe I just said something similar in another thread as far as "forget about it". This goes for any game in an alpha or beta state. It's cool to get excited about something coming up, but when it starts to eat at you and you turn negative over something that may never even be a thing you're doing yourself a disservice. 
    UtinniSovrath[Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I have always liked Jacobs from the DAoC days on the old VN Vault boards (my old haunt until I dragged my carcass here). He was definitely a presence and I had faith in him then. But that sound byte well twitch video where he laughs about not having to give them anything was a kick in the gut.
    BruceYee
    Chamber of Chains
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Kyleran said:

Wait, wut? I just comprehended what you said there, ”get store credit.”

So Ragnarok is going to be a cash shop game. Makes sense, but I missed that somehow in the original announcement.

Anyone here believe for a minute this won't find its way into CU in some form?

Yeah, yeah, I know, Mark promised CU would be sub only, but I never thought that promise would ever stand, even less so after everything that's gone down since then.
    Well originally he said it would be credit in Ragnarock, but people said they had no interest in that game but would help test it to help CSE.  They asked to have something CU related, even at a reduced amount.  MJ agreed.  Now whether that is actual store credit or "Founders Points" I do not recall.  I used store credit but do not remember his exact wording.

Either way... 2 months later and nothing.

JamesGoblin

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018