Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria Looks Ahead to Point Release 10

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageLegends of Aria Looks Ahead to Point Release 10

Point Release 10 is the topic of discussion in the latest blog post from the Legends of Aria team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I hope this shambling corpse of a game soon finds eternal rest.
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    edited May 2020

Is it really that bad?  I tried to download it once, but I stopped it because it was taking too long. 
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Is it really that bad?  I tried to download it once, but I stopped it because it was taking too long. 

The game is content-lacking, buggy, and way behind schedule. But the bad part is how the developers have treated their customers. They moved away from the core concept of the game that was pitched to backers, which was called Shards Online. They were open-PvP focused at first. Then, to boost sales when they launched on Steam, they switched to a heavy PvE focus with limited PvP. When Steam sales flopped, they moved back to a PvP focus that was even more open than it was originally. The last thing they did to screw their player base was release paid DLC for their buggy, incomplete game that is still in early access. So basically, the game is bad, yes, but the developers are the real turds.
    GdemamiAncient_Exile
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303

The game is content-lacking, buggy, and way behind schedule. But the bad part is how the developers have treated their customers. They moved away from the core concept of the game that was pitched to backers, which was called Shards Online. They were open-PvP focused at first. Then, to boost sales when they launched on Steam, they switched to a heavy PvE focus with limited PvP. When Steam sales flopped, they moved back to a PvP focus that was even more open than it was originally. The last thing they did to screw their player base was release paid DLC for their buggy, incomplete game that is still in early access. So basically, the game is bad, yes, but the developers are the real turds.

Thanks for the info.  And I meant install/patch, not download.
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    The worst part is the skill system. Some skills take literally a year to gm while others take a few days. Totally unbalanced.

Who wants to spend a year to gm a skill on a game that won't last another six months?
    Ancient_Exile
  • Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 193

I once tried to play it, got spawned into the world for the first time, went to some tavern hoping to talk to the inkeeper and get some quests maybe, like it usually works with most fantasy RPG games, I couldn't even open the door to the tavern.

Then I said screw it.

Then I went to try and fight a wolf or a bandit or whatever. I found something like a bear, tried to fight it, I couldn't fight it at all - I think my character attacked once then proceeded to sit there while the bear was killing him.

At that point I uninstalled the game.
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391

Don't forget that the engine is so poorly optimized that it's causing high-end GPUs to run at outrageously high temps.

Don't forget the fact that the newest paid patch broke a lot of the private servers...Which was another MAJOR feature for Shards that has been all but completely ignored.
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    It's not that bad. A far as I know it is the only mmo which let's you have a look at the code.
    I still hope they find the money to support the modding community more.
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    System said:
    imageLegends of Aria Looks Ahead to Point Release 10

Point Release 10 is the topic of discussion in the latest blog post from the Legends of Aria team.

Read the full story here

LoA or Pop 0....which is it?
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • KirtisKirtis Member UncommonPosts: 39

I once tried to play it, got spawned into the world for the first time, went to some tavern hoping to talk to the inkeeper and get some quests maybe, like it usually works with most fantasy RPG games, I couldn't even open the door to the tavern.

Then I said screw it.

Then I went to try and fight a wolf or a bandit or whatever. I found something like a bear, tried to fight it, I couldn't fight it at all - I think my character attacked once then proceeded to sit there while the bear was killing him.

At that point I uninstalled the game.

The game is not perfect, or superhit AAA MMORPG, but, Allwynd_01, seriously ? These are the problems that made you uninstall the game?... All that I see in your story, that you came to a game with rigid expectations what the game should contain and how should it work and once it wasn't as you expected you failed to even try to find out what's wrong an why it's not as you expected. Yes, you can dislike game and move on. But your reasons, you have described were just unwillingness to explore and get accustomized with this specific game - not the real issues of the game.

I am more inclined to agree with MightyUnclean's reasoning. I did not like the fact that developers change directions of game development so drastically and go from one extreme to another and then back within few months... that does not appeal to me too, as I am not sure what will happen to the game next few months.

But for the price of 20 or 30 $ that I payed for it during the pre-Steam early access (I don't even remember how much it did cost then) I had enough fun and don't regret buying it even when it's free to play now. I would like many things to be different in this game and see few areas where potential of the game is totally wasted. But still it can bring enough fun time if you come open minded. And being OPEN MINDED is essential. Because if you'll come with your opinion and expectations that are cast in stone and can't be changed, like "I'll go to tavern and will find there "input your version", or "I'll go out in a wild and will kill everyone and everything the first minute I start the game..." then you are just DOOMED - you are destined to get disappointed, there's just no way for you to be satisfied... neither in this, nor in any other game. And forget the argument "lack of content" in sandbox games. If you are unable to create your own content, don't ever try to play one which even remotely mentions "sandbox" in it's description... because these games are just not for you... And there's nothing wrong neither with you nor with these games - you just can't be coupled :-) sandbox is not supposed to give you content. It gives you tools to create content. You might like these tools, or might not... You might like to create content, or might not... You might like what you created, o might not... But one thing is for sure - if you came to a game that clearly declares that it's "SANDBOX" and you did not find "CONTENT" enough good for you, then it's your fault, not the game's, as you just did not understand the main concept.

So please stop pitching, kicking, spitting on it and spilling negativity just for the sake of negativity. If you hate when crowdfunded projects turn out to be different from what you expected, don't participate in them and save you sanity :-) And if you fall into that temptation to get ALL IN early, then have courage to face reality. And reality is that not all the nice ideas can be implemented, even if developer wants to... and sometimes he might not want to as well... :-) You literally gambled... sometimes gamblers win and even win big... but most often they just loose their money... hopefully still having their share of fun in the process :-)