Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why am I here

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited May 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
< Quote from another topic >
No one can agree on what difficulty actually is. 

Forced grouping, grind, and time sinks aren't difficulty. They're just inconveniences. 

This !!!
It blows me away.... It's absolutely amazing how people think here, and ONLY HERE ON THIS SITE. 

We argue what is difficulty ?.... No one can agree and it's true, people actually want a definition !!

Yet if I were to ask another gamer, fellow worker, someone on the street or a non gamer "what is video game difficulty" is it would always be the same,  HOW HARD IS COMBAT and BEATING WHAT EVER YOUR FIGHTING.  A natural response !..... But It's an argument here.

Worst yet !!!!!
"Inconveniences"....... Any challenge "even to the lowest degree" is considered a road block according TO MOST HERE.

People think I'm asking for maximum combat difficulty, simply because I ask for a challenge.  People like to use the words "Forced grouping" to belittle a challenge.  1 in 20 here want any kind of difficulty, Most want zero resistance of any kind.   

Time sinks, 
People pay good money for a game and want to go "A" directly to "Z".... It's madness.

"Deranged thinking"
Keeps all topics flowing I would guess, it's what keeps this site going.  We can argue over the reason to own a household Vacuum Cleaner.  Yet the the majority would argue against it.  

In games like Black Desert Online..... Fashion dresses and fancy hats are popular in THE CASH SHOP.  People actually spend unrealistic amounts for items such as this. 

A child's play ground with a safety net around them is what people expect.  The idea of fun had changed.... now it's looking nice :)

Every day I ask my self why am I here ?
What kind of gamers am I hanging around with here ?

It's like an human in a cage full of monkeys trying to make sense of it all.  The monkeys in their monkey language are saying, this human does not like to scratch his own butt in public.  

30 monkeys in their monkey world think scratching their butt in public is a universal popular past time, and the human is an odd ball. 

I guess I like the challenge. 

Edit:
@Gdemami ..... I got my standard LoL
@mmolou ..... I got my standard WTF

Now I need a monkey scratching his own butt picture.  Quest done.

Post edited by delete5230 on
Gdemamimmolou[Deleted User]

Comments

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    I think a vacuum cleaner is a waste of money.
    The dirt comes back anyway.

iixviiiixdelete5230[Deleted User]Sovrath[Deleted User]Iselin

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I think a vacuum cleaner is a waste of money.
    The dirt comes back anyway.

Funny you should mention this,
    My last house had an ugly orange carpet.  Often the vacuum would be full of orange lint.... Yet the carpet "lasted and in tact" until I sold the house (over 10 years). 

I'm going back to bed !
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,600
    I presume combat is part of the reason you are complaining.  Because you keep saying about xxx games where people can kill a whole map without taking damage.

There are all kind of gamer.  And themepark mmorpg do really well at mashing all type of gamers into one game.  But that also cause trouble because not everyone are interested in all playstyle.

Was waiting for this, infact you went the extra mile with a monkey/chicken. I like monkeys and chickens.

You also completed my quest to have an LoL, WTF and a picture, so thanks  ;)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    And inconveniences don't make things difficult?
    Iselin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited May 2020
    Sovrath said:
    I guess popping a cap on a water bottle is inconvenient and difficult too.

Guess everyone wants auto-play. Press play and watch it play itself or go from "A" directly to "Z".

For the life of me I would never think actions such as this would factor into difficulty. 

Lazy gamers with beautiful dresses and a fashionable hats, anything else would be considered difficult. Even this you buy from a cash shop :)

Lazy as in people don't even want to use their fingers if they can help it, or raze their stress level above sleep level.   

This topic isn't really about difficulty, but how people think on this site. Re-read the <quote> I posted.
    mmolou
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Sovrath said:

No, it's not. But perhaps some people think it is. Never met one who did though.

As far as how people think on this site ... they think the same as people everywhere else. 

Different experiences, different upbringing, different genes make for different opinions.

As far as why "you" are here, you need to find your own meaning for hanging out on a video game site.

I'm here because most of my friends don't play video games. And those who do don't play a lot of them. With the exception of a few I've met online.

And I want to talk about video games. I don't care how they are labled, mmorpg, mmo, corpg, I really don't care. I don't require such labels.

sing player? multi-player? don't care. I just want to talk games.
    GdemamiNyghthowlermmoloucheyaneRexKushman
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    edited May 2020
    It is inconvenient, and the caps can be misaligned when my attention is divided when trying to replace them, which can be a pain if I tighten them too much before noticing.

That's why I empty my water bottles into a container with more convenient and easier access so I need only bother with the cap once and be done with it.
    Was waiting for this, infact you went the extra mile with a monkey/chicken. I like monkeys and chickens.

You also completed my quest to have an LoL, WTF and a picture, so thanks  ;)

Chickens can't fly. 

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2020
    < Quote from another topic >
    No one can agree on what difficulty actually is. 
    *skip*

I guess I like the challenge. 

Edit:
    @Gdemami ..... I got my standard LoL
    @mmolou ..... I got my standard WTF

Now I need a monkey scratching his own butt picture.  Quest done.

People don't agree. No surprise. They nurse islands of agreement, of many different sizes. I'm 42. I'm not the most worldly person by far, but i've learned a couple thigns and this happens to be one of them. The hardest thing is leaving a heated argument behind, but once you do you're a better person. And delte, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens wiht Saga of Lucima, Pantheon and others. We're on the same page on some things.

Just be happy with the handful of people who agree and try to leave it alone. I have habit sometimes not being able to let go of things, so if that's your problem I'm in the same boat.

Right now I'm playing Everquest live. It's fairly easy. It's grindy mildly. Some things have worsened, and I could complain, but I already did that years ago. I enjoy it, despite the fact I've overplayed EQ all these many years. I log in every now and then and get some experience or items, or plan ahead (playing f2p exclusively to pay for a subscription with in-game money). I could level up a lot faster by allowing higher levels to level me, but I enjoy the slow climb up the levels, exploring the unfamiliar areas and quests, mostly soloing but some infrequent grouping. I'm in no haste to reach the endgame levels. Been there and done that I guess.

My point? I just want to relax. I don't want to argue with others. I've participated in flame wars, and they don't go anywhere. We're what we're.  I play what I'm enjoying. Next. Scene. Please.

EDIT: Irony is now hat I finally got a modern computer in 2018 and some cash, I can play almost anything, yet in 2020 I'm still playing a game I installed 1999--with some alterations ofc. I feel old. I dont think i'm alone on this.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on

"1 something that is a cause for suffering or special effort especially in the attainment of a goal
    • the many difficulties that he encountered on the road from poor orphan to head of a major corporation"
    Ah ha! 

So then, death penalties and other such 'time sinks' can indeed increase difficulty.

Hawkaya399Sovrath

"1 something that is a cause for suffering or special effort especially in the attainment of a goal
    • the many difficulties that he encountered on the road from poor orphan to head of a major corporation"
    Ah ha! 

So then, death penalties and other such 'time sinks' can indeed increase difficulty.

Thanks for the definition of difficulty, unfortunately none was needed. 

Character creation could be a time sink and I don't like it...... I'm waiting for technology to reach a point where I could project my thoughts then bam !.....done :)  

Lazy, people can't even work their fingers, how do people roll out of bed in the morning :)
    mmolou
    It's amusing that the guy thinking he's the human in the monkey cage is actually the one watched by everyone else here as some kind of strange, weird and sometimes amusing curiosity.
    Always that delusion of grandeur... never gets old :D
    WoW haven't seen you in some time.

Welcome back if you were gone. B)  

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    You should check out the mmorpg reddit if you think this forum is the source of all the doom n gloom. Lots of good laughs to be had on that sub.
    I try not to post on reddit, because I get down vote to oblivion =)
    Ancient_Exile
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    It's amusing that the guy thinking he's the human in the monkey cage is actually the one watched by everyone else here as some kind of strange, weird and sometimes amusing curiosity.
    Always that delusion of grandeur... never gets old :D
    'People like things I don't!'

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Ah ha! 

Thanks for the definition of difficulty, unfortunately none was needed. 

Character creation could be a time sink and I don't like it...... I'm waiting for technology to reach a point where I could project my thoughts then bam !.....done :)  

Lazy, people can't even work their fingers, how do people roll out of bed in the morning :)

"We argue what is difficulty ?.... No one can agree and it's true, people actually want a definition !!"

"Definition of difficulty

1 : the quality or state of being hard to do, deal with, or understand : the quality or state of being difficult

// underestimated the difficulty of the task"

"Definition of difficult

1 : hard to do, make, or carry out : arduous

// a difficult climb"

"Definition of arduous

1a : hard to accomplish or achieve : difficult

// an arduous task

// years of arduous training"

One of the synonyms of "difficult" is "challenging".

"challenge noun

Definition of challenge (Entry 2 of 2)
    1 : a stimulating task or problem"

I don't have a problem with OP complaining.  I just felt he shouldn't belittle people playing other games by calling them out for play easy games.

Because while those mmorpg are easy to get into.  There are hard content in the game also for people to challenge themself.

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2020
    to each his or her own. we're not all teh same. that's all.

stop chasing the joneses. let go and find joy in what you're.

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    edited May 2020

When a mommy gamer and a daddy gamer love one another very much.......
    Amathe

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "I guess popping a cap on a water bottle is inconvenient and difficult too."

For me it is. Nerve damaged hands. This type of thing is relative.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Actually themeparks tend to lose a lot of the Explorers out there.  They do okay for Achievers and Killers, and may or may not do okay with Social.
    edited May 2020
    centkin said:
    Actually themeparks tend to lose a lot of the Explorers out there.  They do okay for Achievers and Killers, and may or may not do okay with Social.

Me, if I'm playing my own character in an MMORPG, then I want my choices to matter.  I want to be able to write my own story as opposed to being a part of someone else's story.  Especially when my limited choices within that story have no effect on its eventual ending or the outcome of the game in general. 

The vast majority of MMORPGs allow us to play the role of our Class, but they don't really allow us to play the role of our Character.  It doesn't matter if my character is good or evil (if my character is even allowed to be evil).  Nothing about who my character is, where my character is from, or why my character is doing all this (his motivations) truly matter in the end.

Post edited by Ancient_Exile on
    Gdemami

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    There are different types of difficult. Some are inherent to something you are focused on doing (e.g. hard boss with tricky mechanics) and some are additional roadblocks that may be added or not.

A lot of you guys seem to miss the point that the whole discussion about difficulty in games is related to focus.

Inconveniences are things that can be added to something trivial to make it more "difficult" simply because they delay you facing the actual focused event and dealing with its intrinsic difficulty. It can be just a cheap way to increase the apparent "difficulty" of something that really isn't all that difficult.

I'd rather deal with intrinsically difficult content than have a bunch of cheesy inconveniences added to it. I want to focus on that.

But that's just me.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED