Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here Are the Changes Coming to ESO's Vampire Skill Line with Greymoor and Update 26

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599

imageHere Are the Changes Coming to ESO's Vampire Skill Line with Greymoor and Update 26

The Elder Scrolls Online team have shared additional information on the changes coming to the vampire skill line in their upcoming chapter, Greymoor.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    And you too can have it for 1000 crowns on the cash shop!
    seraphis79Joseph_Kerrdefroststar
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Viper482 said:

I don't believe there's a cost to the skill line update.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Utinni said:

Viper482 said:

There isn't. It's a base game update. But they did put a Vampire bite as something you can buy in the cash shop a couple of years back for the lazy wallet warrior. Can't remember how many crowns it sells for but 1,000 sounds about right.

Getting a bite from a guild mate or even random stranger through chat is ridiculously easy and getting it the old fashioned way by being bit by an NPC vampire in the correct zone is also easy.
    Quicksand
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 875
    First getting a bite is still free in game who cares if you can buy it in the cash shop it is not the only way to get like @Iselin ; said.
    second one of the big changes and they talked about it in their horrible stream is before a lot of people would be come vamp for no other reason then to have the 10% regen of magik and stamina they took that out. Now playing carries more weight and is a tougher choice I do have one vamp max level I am going to go over to the pts tonight and check out the new skills. 
    It always struck me as weird that the more you fed the weaker you were as a vamp. 
    IselinZenJelly
    Abimor said:
    First getting a bite is still free in game who cares if you can buy it in the cash shop it is not the only way to get like @Iselin ; said.
    second one of the big changes and they talked about it in their horrible stream is before a lot of people would be come vamp for no other reason then to have the 10% regen of magik and stamina they took that out. Now playing carries more weight and is a tougher choice I do have one vamp max level I am going to go over to the pts tonight and check out the new skills. 
    It always struck me as weird that the more you fed the weaker you were as a vamp. 
    Yup. It's a good tweak to the skill line.
    ZenJelly
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• shinobi4444shinobi4444 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    too bad the game is plagued by shitty servers and broken combat mechanics
    seshses[Deleted User][Deleted User]ZenJellyJoseph_Kerrdefroststar
  • donzin08donzin08 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    When animation cancelling is part of your game's rotation. IT IS TRASH
    Elethon[Deleted User][Deleted User]ZenJellyboris20Joseph_Kerrdefroststar
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited May 2020

Iselin said:

Utinni said:

Viper482 said:

There isn't. It's a base game update. But they did put a Vampire bite as something you can buy in the cash shop a couple of years back for the lazy wallet warrior. Can't remember how many crowns it sells for but 1,000 sounds about right.

Getting a bite from a guild mate or even random stranger through chat is ridiculously easy and getting it the old fashioned way by being bit by an NPC vampire in the correct zone is also easy.

We used to ask players who were going to give up being a vampire (often when you started raiding) to post and say last chance to get your bite. That way guildies minds were made aware that an opportunity to become a vamp was being lost and its a good idea to get the skill line early.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Viper482 said:

You can also be infected by other player vampires (which many request) and some PvE enemies. No purchased is required. The cash shop route is simply one of several options.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

Iselin said:

Abimor said:

Was it? It is a rather large change to the skill line rather than a tweak, which in itself is annoying several years along as it undermines a fair amount of the efforts by players based on what was because it is now radically different. A change of this scope should have been done much sooner.

For those seeking a more active skill line that will undermine their other abilities the further they pursue it while strengthening their vampiric ones it will be seen as a good change. Those happy with what was will find it rather poor.

My personal feelings are mixed. This change is unhelpful for my one vampire character as much of the value of the line for him was removed. Thankfully he was not so far along that the cure cost anything beyond a bit of gold.

However, it opens up the possibility to build another character for which the line would be better suited that would open up a new and potentially interesting play style.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753

Vampirism is an infection in Elder Scrolls. Blood is the treatment to keep the infection under control, so the longer you go without blood the more powerful your vampiric infection becomes.
  • TorkaldTorkald Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I don't know how the mechanics of these changes will work out, but I think they're great from an RP perspective. And there are a lot of people who have been asking for more roleplaying elements in their MMOs, so I think this will be a net positive change for a game like ESO. I get a significant V:TM feel from it, for better or worse.

donzin08 said:

I agree it's a stupid mechanic, but ESO is so facerollingly easy that it's really not required outside a couple of special cases. ESO is hugely casual, and I don't think this one "feature" makes the whole game trash.

ZenJelly
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    for some reaason ESO never lived up to be the game I wanted it to be.... it fell short of it's possiblities.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Torkald said:
    I don't know how the mechanics of these changes will work out, but I think they're great from an RP perspective. And there are a lot of people who have been asking for more roleplaying elements in their MMOs, so I think this will be a net positive change for a game like ESO. I get a significant V:TM feel from it, for better or worse.

donzin08 said:

I agree it's a stupid mechanic, but ESO is so facerollingly easy that it's really not required outside a couple of special cases. ESO is hugely casual, and I don't think this one "feature" makes the whole game trash.

I see people use animation canceling as this huge argument to put ESO down but honestly I don't remember the last time I canceled an animation. Game is for ES fans and is super casual.

Iselin said:

Abimor said:

Was it? It is a rather large change to the skill line rather than a tweak, which in itself is annoying several years along as it undermines a fair amount of the efforts by players based on what was because it is now radically different. A change of this scope should have been done much sooner.

For those seeking a more active skill line that will undermine their other abilities the further they pursue it while strengthening their vampiric ones it will be seen as a good change. Those happy with what was will find it rather poor.

My personal feelings are mixed. This change is unhelpful for my one vampire character as much of the value of the line for him was removed. Thankfully he was not so far along that the cure cost anything beyond a bit of gold.

However, it opens up the possibility to build another character for which the line would be better suited that would open up a new and potentially interesting play style.
    Yes. From a PvP perspective it went from being ridiculously OP at launch with infinite super mobility and the ability to kill groups while healing yourself to a nerfed version of its former self that no one played seriously in PvP nor PvE, to seeing a minor comeback after they nerfed resource regen for all builds and classes as a meta crutch for regen because of one passive that everyone used wile ignoring everything else about the skill line.

I'm giving them the benefit of he doubt pending actual post-release field testing, that these new changes will make it viable again as something you might want to take seriously as a build possibility in PvP and PvE,  just how the re-work of Lycanthropy made werewolves playable again and you saw them often in dungeon runs and Cyrodiil both.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• NaitakalNaitakal Member UncommonPosts: 74

Ability weaving being one (good) thing, animation canceling is actually okayish for Pve but it really ruins PvP for me.
    ZenJellydefroststar
    edited May 2020
    Naitakal said:

Ability weaving being one (good) thing, animation canceling is actually okayish for Pve but it really ruins PvP for me.
    It'd be a very easy fix if they wanted to fix it: leave the ability to cancel light attack animations as it is and have the the effect of the other more powerful abilities count only at the end of the animation.

That would leave canceling with blocks, bashes, etc., for legit defensive purposes the way they are since those are actually good things in ESO's active defense game play style but they would come at the cost of losing the damage or healing of what you interrupted.

Canceling itself is not the problem. The problem is that what you canceled (other than channeled skills obviously, but channeled skills are just a series of ticks over time anyway so canceling those you always lose the ticks you cancelled) still counts for full effect. This happens because the ability effect calculation behind the scenes happens at the very beginning of the animation. That is what gives canceling the DPS advantage, not just that canceling exists.

I say leave light attack weaving alone because its effect is minor as it's just ESO's version of the weapon auto-attack that other games (like WOW) have.

Having no canceling at all would totally change the game into something that locks you into your previous action with no ability to change your mind to defend yourself if something (like a boss) attacks you when you're half way through an animation. You would lose the active defense part if the game.
    Post edited by Iselin on
    ZenJelly[Deleted User]Naitakaldefroststar

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343
    edited May 2020
    Torkald said:

donzin08 said:

Like PVP? :P

Seriously don't know why they don't let you animation cancel, BUT have it cancel what you're doing.

Because ACing is necessary for an action-combat game. But to be able to do it and benefit from higher DPS/HPS, is stupid.

I'm also 100% convinced that MOST of the lag in Cyrodiil is from ACing. We literally DDoS the server by sending thousands of packets in short timeframes. - I've had Slideshow Online with less than 20 players on the screen; then other times had no real lag with several raids sieging while a raid or two more defend.

....But as soon as the wall/door came down..lllllllaaaaaaaag.
    ((The difference, you aren't ACing much when sieging; you're firing siege weapons.))
    Note: When I say "Slideshow Online", my FPS stays in the mid 70s, but the ping is around 900ms and people move like you see when there's a strobe light behind a person moving; jerky.
    ZenJellySovrath

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

too bad the game is plagued by shitty servers and broken combat mechanics

imo still better than "normal" mmo combat mechanics. i am so sick of tab target combat ^^
    NaitakalIselindefroststar

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Looks cool. Reminds of Legacy of Kain. Miss that series.
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    I like ESO but the animation canceling kills it for me ultimately. Any time I think it sounds like fun to return to it, I remember the animation canceling and never go back..Shame.
    defroststar[Deleted User]