Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Factions: Online - Faction based PvPvE MMORPG with Territory control

13»

Comments

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    JamesP said:
    As of right now Every player starts out in the same faction (This is just for testing) there are AI controlled factions in game right now that depending on what you do your standing with them can increase or decrease. Kill them your standing goes down, do tasks for them your standing increase. Your faction standing with AI factions will determine what quests you have available to you, what items you can purchase from them, and if you are even allowed inside towns, able to use warp gates, ect.

Using the system I have in place Mobs/NPCs will attack enemy factions (including enemy AI controlled factions) so it's likely you will come across battles taking place between AI controlled mobs/npcs that were dynamically generated (they just happened to wander into each other's aggro range) and you will be able to decide which side you want to help out which will effect your standings with the different factions. 
    This I don't like. This reminds me of Faction jumping. It always ruin Faction based PvP MMOs because the internet is troll Paradise. You only fueling that and will lead to rogues and trolls ruining the very thing that makes Faction people more secure and enjoyable than FFA/GvG PvP

If players characters aren't allowed to leave Factions, switch Factions, or be removed from Factions, how will Factions deal with players who are spies or traitors?
    They counter each other out. I rather that then mechanics that lead to more toxic communities and gameplay. It ruins Faction based MMOs. Leave that for GvG/FFA mmos

Which Faction-based MMOs has it ruined?
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    JamesP said:
    As of right now Every player starts out in the same faction (This is just for testing) there are AI controlled factions in game right now that depending on what you do your standing with them can increase or decrease. Kill them your standing goes down, do tasks for them your standing increase. Your faction standing with AI factions will determine what quests you have available to you, what items you can purchase from them, and if you are even allowed inside towns, able to use warp gates, ect.

Using the system I have in place Mobs/NPCs will attack enemy factions (including enemy AI controlled factions) so it's likely you will come across battles taking place between AI controlled mobs/npcs that were dynamically generated (they just happened to wander into each other's aggro range) and you will be able to decide which side you want to help out which will effect your standings with the different factions. 
    This I don't like. This reminds me of Faction jumping. It always ruin Faction based PvP MMOs because the internet is troll Paradise. You only fueling that and will lead to rogues and trolls ruining the very thing that makes Faction people more secure and enjoyable than FFA/GvG PvP

If players characters aren't allowed to leave Factions, switch Factions, or be removed from Factions, how will Factions deal with players who are spies or traitors?
    They counter each other out. I rather that then mechanics that lead to more toxic communities and gameplay. It ruins Faction based MMOs. Leave that for GvG/FFA mmos

Archeage 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

JamesP said:

Archeage 

I think there were other more important factors that ruined ArcheAge.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited May 2020
    JamesP said:

You're learning dumb questions from ungood. 

Using some logical thinking and you can easily see how it can ruin a faction based game. The simple thought behind it; if your faction is losing you switch so you're on the winning team. Losing team never stands a chance. 

Now if you're wanting to talk about making the switch difficult and require a lot of forethought then sure, but you need to state as much. Get removed from a faction due to bad reputation or leaving and requiring loads of actual game time and work too get into another faction could mitigate the swapping. 

Freely swapping is not good and also completely annihilates immersion.
    Gdemamibcbully[Deleted User]
    edited May 2020
    JamesP said:

You're learning dumb questions from ungood. 

Using some logical thinking and you can easily see how it can ruin a faction based game. The simple thought behind it; if your faction is losing you switch so you're on the winning team. Losing team never stands a chance. 

Now if you're wanting to talk about making the switch difficult and require a lot of forethought then sure, but you need to state as much. Get removed from a faction due to bad reputation or leaving and requiring loads of actual game time and work too get into another faction could mitigate the swapping. 

Freely swapping is not good and also completely annihilates immersion.

I agree.  Switching Factions shouldn't be easy.  As in Everquest 2, a player should have to be in some kind of exile while they prove themselves to a new Faction.  And a Known Traitor should have an even more difficult time gaining reputation with a new Faction.

But if a game has good and evil factions, it should be more difficult than it would be to from one good or evil faction to another good or evil faction.

EDIT:  And you're right.  A better question would have been, how specifically did it ruin those games? 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2020
    JamesP said:

GW2 was the most  egregious offender of this by far..

War was also bad till recent fixes

But no matter what you do it , there will Always be spies , your most serious players that want to spy will have a 2nd or even 3rd acct for that
    Ancient_Exile
  • JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    One of the latest Screenshots...

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    JamesP said:

INTRO

You wake up along a strange beach...

That's where I thought "what, again?" 
    Ancient_Exile[Deleted User]
    Progress from the last several hours... I now have resource gathering and smelting/cooking in place.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Getting closer to the next release...

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Still working on this... Next release will hopefully be next Friday. I plan on working the rest of the week on this build, then updating the server this Friday and release a test build on Friday to a select group of people for initial testing.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Whoa, stuck with it for over 3 months now, very good James...
    bcbully

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Kyleran said:
    Whoa, stuck with it for over 3 months now, very good James...
    Or came back to it after a few months...  I nominate you to go and check it out and let us know how it looks!  It's launched in Early Access now.

newbismx

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited July 2020
    Just been doing some play testing on my local development server this afternoon. Testing out settlement construction and resource gathering.

If you would like more info you can follow my progress on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/factionsmmo

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Some of the latest images...

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

I'm still working on this prototype however I have made some more major changes. The last few days I've been checking out some of the updates to the Atavism MMO Engine for this prototype. Here are the latest screenshots...

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

edited October 2020
    Will be doing a Development Live Stream this evening where I Live Stream while I am working. There won't be much talking or anything since I'll be focused on working but I'll stop and chat with any one in chat.

Here are some of the latest screenshots:

Relampago

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

I am continuing to make progress on "Factions" now called Project: Phoenix. 

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive