Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Game Most Drew You In?

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Everquest for me too....Just loved running around and exploring....About the only MMO where the world felt like a virtual world...I was glad it didn't have much questing, I have never been a fan of that. The community was very friendly and many jsut sat in PoK and talked and visited.
    xpsyncAmathe
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited April 2020
    Well AC2 was my actual awakening game, seemed like a good game to find out what's all this mmorpg talk about. Was pretty hooked for a couple months, 3 maybe then was back to single player first person rpg's.

Then SWG came along and is when i discovered just how unfathomably deep these games are, hooked for sure, the only thing i did miss was questing.

Then being under the SOE umbrella heard about EQ2 and sounded like a good mix of first person, questing, exploring, rpg, the world, atmosphere... hooked for life.

So much so that i have to ultimately credit EQ2 as the one which drew me in the most.

To me it was a perfect blend of everything i loved, and then met the right peeps whom took me to levels i never knew existed, the player synergy of well trained tight-knit crew, raids, dungeon encounters that would make a Tortollan's shell crawl, huge world wide multi tier quests that you'd work on for months and months, none of this take quest, fly 9 feet, kill 5 mobs, return and done in well under 5 minutes.

AC2 played a lot, and many long multi hour sessions, SWG same thing, but EQ2 i just never wanted to stop, it was literally hard to stop, whelp suns up looks like another all weekender, no joke, so many weekends no sleep at all. Most week nights stayed up till 1 or 2 am, up for work at 6, night after night, like to pull away and stop was impossible. So yeah that be EQ2 for me.

Amathe
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Lineage 2 for an mmorpg. I like that the game was completely about the players and their interactions.

Morrowind for a single player game. I was shocked that it wasn't a linear, tailored experience like most videos games I had played up to that point.
    xpsyncAmathe
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    UO.  I was looking to see if anyone had done a multiplayer Ultima 7. Found beta testing and begged my parents for money for the disc money.  Got in second phase beta.  I loved the chaos and simulation.  I hoped it would be the future.  

I loved the lore of EQ, the factions, languages and the small, fun things most modern MMORPG lack.  Would have loved for a combination of UO and EQ.  
    AmarantharAmatheAncient_Exile
    Sovrath said:
    Lineage 2 for an mmorpg. I like that the game was completely about the players and their interactions.

Morrowind for a single player game. I was shocked that it wasn't a linear, tailored experience like most videos games I had played up to that point.

I had a gift card to buy a game burning a hole in my pocket, it's fall, winter is coming, gotta find a game, and nothing, not a single game was clicking with me at the the store, meh i dunno this morrowind thing sounds ok i guess, no clue what i was about to experience.

Was similar to my Half Life experience, same kinda deal had some mad money and was in the mood for a game and again, no idea what to buy and went way out on a limb and bought this this crazy ass looking game called Half Life?
    SovrathAmathe

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I came from a more strategy gaming history attached, so I'd have to add games like the Civilization series, X-Com and Hearts of Iron to the mix.  Then there's addictions like Empire, Master of Magic, and Master of Orion to cut into my life.  As far as MMORPGs go,  EQ1 is/was my drug of choice.

I am a gamer.  I don't want to be cured.

AmarantharAmathe

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Sovrath said:

I remember I was disappointed at how limited Morrowind was compared to Daggerfall.  Daggerfall was a rough game. Elder Scroll games are interesting study in how convenience and quality of life changes can make a game a lose something as it gains playability. 
    TheocritusScorchienxpsyncAlBQuirky
    Sovrath said:

I remember I was disappointed at how limited Morrowind was compared to Daggerfall.  Daggerfall was a rough game. Elder Scroll games are interesting study in how convenience and quality of life changes can make a game a lose something as it gains playability. 

The dungeons in Daggerfall were light years better than Morrowind....It seemed like 3/4 of the dungeons in Morrowind were a single passage that ended when you turned the first corner....Also I found a dungeon about halfway thru the game where the monsters were not very strong and yet they dropped the best armor in the game. It just wasnt a great game in my opinion compared to Daggerfall but it had better graphics which hooks the kids.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sovrath said:

I still have my Daggerfall box with Jewel case and 350 page manual :)
    strawhat0981AmatheVermillion_Raventhal
  • Sabnock34Sabnock34 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Ultima Online, Legends of Kesmai, Darkness Falls, Magestorm and Dark Ages of Camelot were my loves, UO being my first true open world MMO that i ended up playing over 10 years
    AmatheScorchien
  • Sabnock34Sabnock34 Member UncommonPosts: 19

I'm sure UO and EQ would have drawn me in.  Maybe Classic/Vanilla WoW, but it depends on if I had not played UO & EQ before playing WoW.  (Note: I was old enough to play all those games when they were released but chose not do so.  Though I very much enjoyed RPGs, I had other interests at the time and did not want to get addicted.)  I even passed on FFXI even though my friends were playing it.  WoW I actually bought near the end of 2006 but decided to return it (without opening) because I didn't want to become consumed with it.

Runes of Magic was the first MMORPG I played for any length of time and eventually to max level.  I enjoyed EQ2 and Neverwinter.  Yes, Neverwinter.  For all its faults, I found the action combat to be fun for a time.  And I also like the Forgotten Realms campaign world/theme.  I've tried many other MMORPGs, but I haven't played any others as long as I played those.  (Note:  After trying both tab-target/hotbar combat and action combat, I prefer not to have action combat or hybrid action combat because it limits a game's potential as a true role-playing and the use of the non-combat skills.  Hybrid action combat makes it more difficult to use skills.  I only have so many fingers and so many things I can focus on at one time.)
    UO was life.

Amathe
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I tried out the 'Lord of the Rings' mmo (iirc) and I had a ranger character (iirc), but I didn't like it.

As a ranger I thought maybe for the first time in my life, that I wanted to try some kind of role playing, and so I was disappointed shortly after, been given a quest to kill one or more wolves, and I killed the first wolves I saw, and it wasn't the right ones iirc (wrong area). :D That was disappointing. A few virtual wolves died for no good reason.
    I was disappointed with my burglar....It seemed all classes didn't play like I expected.

After all it was probably my 4th or 5th mmorpg and I was expecting something else. 

Zreth said:
    Ultima Online, Legends of Kesmai, Darkness Falls, Magestorm and Dark Ages of Camelot were my loves, UO being my first true open world MMO that i ended up playing over 10 years

How do you survive the onslaught of gankers in that game? I literally could not get a few feet past Britain without getting killed and looted.
  • popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Back in the day I owned a Macintosh, so I couldn't play this EverQuest game that all my friends were talking about.

Then Blizzard announced World of WarCraft - available on PC and Macintosh.  I tried the Open Beta and I was hooked.

I quit when TBC came out, came back years later for WotLK, and quit again before Cata.

I tried several other MMORPGs - RIFT, Aion, others that did not make an impression - but I never got over WoW.  Then I discovered the Private Server scene and I've been in and out of it over the years.

It always comes back to WoW for me, and that's a problem I'll address in another post.
    Amathe
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Zreth said:

How do you survive the onslaught of gankers in that game? I literally could not get a few feet past Britain without getting killed and looted.

You to learn to use the game mechainics , for me early on i got my magery up high enough to recall and work my Hiding up high to be quite good .. for starters ..UO is a social game , so you would also need to make some like minded friends ..

I ended up with a group of 8 of us .. usually 5-6 running together alot .. We hunted the Reds at that point

I even recall after we ahd made a name for ourselves on the server we are patrolling Oasis one nite , as reported REds had been active .. there was group of them just off screen

and we see them .. Talking ..

" thats alot of power over there "'

" lets move on some where else "

was pretty funny ..

We also began setting traps for the Reds .,. we would have one of us in the woods chopping trees while 4-5 others are hidden nearby , when the reds gank the Chopper , while they are going thru ther bags intentionally filled with shit ..

They get ganked .. was soo much fun..

soo many ways to use the game mechainics to help yourslef and others ..
    Ancient_ExileTuor7Kyleran
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    edited April 2020
    Zreth said:

I waited until a slow period and made my escape to Yew, where RPers lived and offered some help. 

Then I found an anti-PKer guild (also a RP guild) and joined them, making life MUCH easier. And as lot more fun. 
    Once I gained power and skill (which I had trouble doing because I was dead so much), I was able to play solo and rely on fellow players like myself more often. It was still a big problem, just not so much for myself. 
    Ancient_Exile

Once upon a time....

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    Back in the day I owned a Macintosh, so I couldn't play this EverQuest game that all my friends were talking about.

Then Blizzard announced World of WarCraft - available on PC and Macintosh.  I tried the Open Beta and I was hooked.

I quit when TBC came out, came back years later for WotLK, and quit again before Cata.

I tried several other MMORPGs - RIFT, Aion, others that did not make an impression - but I never got over WoW.  Then I discovered the Private Server scene and I've been in and out of it over the years.

It always comes back to WoW for me, and that's a problem I'll address in another post.

Hmm.  WoW had PC and Mac versions, eh?  What EQ2?
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

I tried out the 'Lord of the Rings' mmo (iirc) and I had a ranger character (iirc), but I didn't like it.

As a ranger I thought maybe for the first time in my life, that I wanted to try some kind of role playing, and so I was disappointed shortly after, been given a quest to kill one or more wolves, and I killed the first wolves I saw, and it wasn't the right ones iirc (wrong area). :D That was disappointing. A few virtual wolves died for no good reason.

I don't think Rangers were tree-huggers and PETA activists in Middle-Earth.

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

Zreth said:

I'm sure UO and EQ would have drawn me in.  Maybe Classic/Vanilla WoW, but it depends on if I had not played UO & EQ before playing WoW.  (Note: I was old enough to play all those games when they were released but chose not do so.  Though I very much enjoyed RPGs, I had other interests at the time and did not want to get addicted.)  I even passed on FFXI even though my friends were playing it.  WoW I actually bought near the end of 2006 but decided to return it (without opening) because I didn't want to become consumed with it.

Runes of Magic was the first MMORPG I played for any length of time and eventually to max level.  I enjoyed EQ2 and Neverwinter.  Yes, Neverwinter.  For all its faults, I found the action combat to be fun for a time.  And I also like the Forgotten Realms campaign world/theme.  I've tried many other MMORPGs, but I haven't played any others as long as I played those.  (Note:  After trying both tab-target/hotbar combat and action combat, I prefer not to have action combat or hybrid action combat because it limits a game's potential as a true role-playing and the use of the non-combat skills.  Hybrid action combat makes it more difficult to use skills.  I only have so many fingers and so many things I can focus on at one time.)
    UO was life.

That's pretty high praise.

edited April 2020
    Sovrath said:

I've read that before and i must admit i was surprised to hear that people honestly felt morrowind was limited comparatively.

However i can reflect some of the same sentiment. Morrowind i no doubt dropped 100's upon 100's of hours in.

Oblivion not as much but still quite a bit, the secret there was to just rip through the main story so you could start playing the game proper. Once those gates were shut the world opened up for me.

Then skyrim barely touched it, to me it lost something, to me it was just OK.

Then for younger players, i noticed my boys thought morrowind was cool but barley played it, Oblivion got a big uptick of time from them, but Skyrim look out, they played the crap out of it, hundreds of hours, they were as enamored with Skyrim as i was with Morrowind.
    AmatheAlBQuirky

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355
    edited May 2020
    Anarchy Online got me, I used to play it until my laptop overheated and shut down. The  take a little break and go again.

Loved playing as a bureaucrat and CCing and charming for my group. 
    AlBQuirky
    edited May 2020

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    edited May 2020
    For immediacy of being drawn in that would go to CoH. My first MMO AC was more a fuddled journey of understanding, too busy getting used to how to play a MMO than being drawn in. I can remember being awed by Camelot in DAOC and intrigued by voice over acting in EQ2. Maybe it was after so much fantasy that a supers MMO really struck a chord, not sure why but that game drew me in very quickly.
    AlBQuirkyxpsync
  • Fritz123Fritz123 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited June 2020
    Star Wars Galaxies drew me into the genre. Went to WoW when that was released since SWG was killed for me by the CU and have played many mmos since.

Recently tried the SWG emulator. Too bad it is a bot-fest, there's no pvp, and the community stinks.
    AlBQuirkyxpsync
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited June 2020
    Runescape which was my first mmorpg and blew my mind(OSRS a little but i got bored) and latter on Darkfall online.
    Post edited by IsilithTehroth on
    AlBQuirky

MurderHerd