Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unreal Engine 5 on PS5

IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
edited May 2020 in General Gaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8B1LNrBpqc

This is simply amazing!! I wonder when we will start seeing games with such details! Hope they are already building them! :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Post edited by IceAge on
SovrathAsheramIlaya

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    IceAge said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8B1LNrBpqc

This is simply amazing!! I wonder when will start seeing games which such details! Hope they are already building them! :)
    Completely agree!

I just watched and all I could think of was when games would catch up.

What I also loved, perhaps more than the lighting or "billions of triangles" were the animations of the character. The small details like jumping to a cliff, getting herself up on her feet and the just dusting off.

AsheramIlayaIceAge
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Yes looks very nice but will games actually look like that.
    Have they from their last tech demos?

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I was stunned as well by the GFX and loved it. That was near to what i have dreamed from when i started back then with my Sinclair ZX Spectrum. How far have we come?!!! I can't wait to see that Power in Action, even that the Engine will be rdy in 2021 as Epic stated. Now i hope that Sony will give Word about the PS 5, i have to Order and sell my PS4 Pro already  :) B) :)
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited May 2020
    Asheram said:

I see a difference here and .. might be just me! The videos you posted are very tech-demo and looks very pre-made which looks a lot like "cutscenes", while this time, it seems Epic Games has ..shifted to ..real (?) game play video to present their new UE5. 

At least this is how I see the difference. UE4 video doesn't look at all like a "game play video". 

Hence, the..flaws Kano has seen in this video! :) If it was like UE3 or UE4, everything would of been..perfect! :) 
    MikehaAsheram

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    DMKano said:
    IceAge said:
    Asheram said:

I see a difference here and .. might be just me! The videos you posted are very tech-demo and looks very pre-made which looks a lot like "cutscenes", while this time, it seems Epic Games has ..shifted to ..real (?) game play video to present their new UE5. 

At least this is how I see the difference. UE4 video doesn't look at all like a "game play video". 

Hence, the..flaws Kano has seen in this video! :) If it was like UE3 or UE4, everything would of been..perfect! :) 

Both UE3 and UE4 tech demos were real time demos using  UE3 and UE4 - there were no pre-made "cut-scenes". They were just never made to feel like game-demos, but actual tech-demos.

The UE5 demo looks like a game-demo - but it also shows a lot of flaws in UE5 engine.

I prefer tech demos that look like tech-demos not gameplay-demos - just my preference.

I prefer game-play demos which has a higher chance of being incorporated into games, then tech-demos which remains .. as you probably know, tech-demos! :)

And the UE5 demo, despite the .. some pretty minor flaws ( from my point of view ) , it looks amazing. It feels a lot like a game, than the .. UE3 or UE4 tech-demos.

All in all , if the engine is really how they say it is, then dev's should be able to (re) produce the same, or close to, graphics. 

This, along with Streaming Games platforms, which will somehow mature in few years, could go a looooong way! :) 
    MikehaAsheram

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    UE4 tech demos look really good too:

The games are unfortunately never quite as good-looking.
    Asheram

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    The big difference between the demos for me is what is actually being showcased. For example the raytracing demo is very possible, but considering very low market for that tech it's not enticing for developers to go through with the work involved. In the UE5 demo isn't showing anything that isn't possible in UE4 from a visual aspect, but rather showing what will be possible from a development standpoint.

No longer needing to go through the process of creating LODs, which is technically possible in UE4, but does require some interaction from the designer. No longer needing to create any of the texture maps. This is all has huge time saving possibilities and not so much change in the look of a project other than the developer not screwing it up in the process. How much of this and how well it will be done we're uncertain, but from the looks of the demo and the things they've stated it's insanely impressive.

The other aspect is the realtime global illumination. Baking lighting takes an ungodly amount of time not to mention the benefits of using it with moving lights.

IK improvements are always welcome and will increase productivity as well.

I'm optimistic about it and can't wait to learn more and get my hands on it to test.
    IceAge[Deleted User]