Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO vs EQ

Comments

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2020
    I played EQ in march 1999 and UO September 1999. I always thought UO had a better travel system (mark/recall) and I always liked the housing system. I thought UO was more of a sandbox. I don't know if I used the term Sandbox in 1999, but I knew the idea very well. I used the word 'non-linear' to describe open world RPGs, and that word seems to fit well here. I went on the play on a lot of player-run servers. My favorite had monsters randomly attack each city. It was based in the T2A era.

Even now I'm still playing live EQ. I think to some extent we all stick to what we're familiar with. It's not necessarily nostalgia either. We just get tired and don't want to do it all over again. It becomes an old friend.

If I had to say what has been my best MMO/RPG I'd say Wurm Online. It was the most immersive thing I'd ever seen. It was like merging EQ and UO with a preference for UO, but better. It blew me away. The travel system is much slower for most players. However, sometimes I tihnk tha'ts good. I've never liked too much fast travel because it kills the meaningfulness of the geography and local places. However, I think UO's travel systems is one of the best I've seen. It was a sandbox system.

IU'll admit, I'm an achievement-oriented player. I like hte mountain to be a high and tough climb, even with mishaps where you plumet back down some distance. It makes it more meaningful to experience the highs and lows, not just read or pretend about them.  to each his/her own.
    UngoodAmarantharAncient_ExileAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125
    A lot of people have the wrong idea about UO.  Did UO have PvP and Pk VS Anti-PK in the early days of the game? Yes.  Was it a game that was PvP focused? No.  The vast majority of the people that played UO did not like PvP and didn't want anything to do with it.  The reason the game was changed to drastically was an attempt to appease the majority of the players that didn't want to PvP.

UO was a big sandbox.  Most players wanted to amass wealth, own a home and maybe open up a smithy.  PvP was a small part of the game back then.  
    AlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Andurin said:
    A lot of people have the wrong idea about UO.  Did UO have PvP and Pk VS Anti-PK in the early days of the game? Yes.  Was it a game that was PvP focused? No.  The vast majority of the people that played UO did not like PvP and didn't want anything to do with it.  The reason the game was changed to drastically was an attempt to appease the majority of the players that didn't want to PvP.

UO was a big sandbox.  Most players wanted to amass wealth, own a home and maybe open up a smithy.  PvP was a small part of the game back then.  
    I guess you could state it that way. 
    But the fact remains that PvP was forced on all the players, except if someone had a play style that didn't take them out of a city (Blacksmith who purchased ores, for example). 
    It was a nightmare that got a little better and turned into a constant bad dream. 

Once upon a time....

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Andurin said:

But the fact remains that PvP was forced on all the players, except if someone had a play style that didn't take them out of a city (Blacksmith who purchased ores, for example). 
    It was a nightmare that got a little better and turned into a constant bad dream. 

It was not Forced on all players at all , many of us went into the game knowing exactly what it is ..

Wanted that experience

Looked forward to that experience ..

and many of us are still there..

I would also add that IMO the only people that felt PVP was forced on them in UO were just to stupid or ignorant to read the fucking box and understand it ..

Simple as that ..
    Ancient_Exile[Deleted User]
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    I played EQ in march 1999 and UO September 1999. I always thought UO had a better travel system (mark/recall) and I always liked the housing system. I thought UO was more of a sandbox. I don't know if I used the term Sandbox in 1999, but I knew the idea very well. I used the word 'non-linear' to describe open world RPGs, and that word seems to fit well here. I went on the play on a lot of player-run servers. My favorite had monsters randomly attack each city. It was based in the T2A era.

Even now I'm still playing live EQ. I think to some extent we all stick to what we're familiar with. It's not necessarily nostalgia either. We just get tired and don't want to do it all over again. It becomes an old friend.

If I had to say what has been my best MMO/RPG I'd say Wurm Online. It was the most immersive thing I'd ever seen. It was like merging EQ and UO with a preference for UO, but better. It blew me away. The travel system is much slower for most players. However, sometimes I tihnk tha'ts good. I've never liked too much fast travel because it kills the meaningfulness of the geography and local places. However, I think UO's travel systems is one of the best I've seen. It was a sandbox system.

IU'll admit, I'm an achievement-oriented player. I like hte mountain to be a high and tough climb, even with mishaps where you plumet back down some distance. It makes it more meaningful to experience the highs and lows, not just read or pretend about them.  to each his/her own.

I tried Wurm.  Finding a bunch of Cows in Caves kinda broke my immersion.  Also, why are there Hellhounds on the road right outside the first town?
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

It was not Forced on all players at all , many of us went into the game knowing exactly what it is ..

Wanted that experience

I would also add that IMO the only people that felt PVP was forced on them in UO were just to stupid or ignorant to read the fucking box and understand it ..

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 
    No one expected to be constantly attacked, killed, and looted all the time. 
    No one knew what kinds of tactics PKers would use. (Good tactics for PvP, don't get me wrong, but it was an unknown going in because we didn't understand how the game systems worked.) 
    Hell, no one even thought that so many gamers would turn out to be such total jerks. 

Ancient_Exile, I see you found this guys post to be "insightful." 
    And that's the sort of thing, based on the context, that makes wonder about your intentions. 

Once upon a time....

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 
    No one knew what kinds of tactics PKers would use. (Good tactics for PvP, don't get me wrong, but it was an unknown going in because we didn't understand how the game systems worked.) 
    Hell, no one even thought that so many gamers would turn out to be such total jerks. 

Well lets start with all the reds , which there were quite a few went into UO expecting PVP ..

Many blues which i am one of , knew what to expect , all my friends knew what to expect ..

IMO the people that didnt expect PVP did not take the time to read the  box or do any research on UO at all ..

But your stance now is very different from .. " PVP was Forced on All players in UO"     

thats simply false ..

Your stance now is " they did not expect the severity or degree of PVP" which again , i blame the player ..

Anyone that was constantly killed and looted did not take time to learn those game systems ..  WIthin 2 weeks our entire crew knew to have a safe rune and recall scrolls ...

Took me hmm been awhile .. 1 week to figure out .. I need Magery and recall trained up RIGHT NOW .. then Hiding ..

After magery and recall was really quite easy escape reds(if needed to )  ..  As soon as you see that red name on the edge of screen REcall .. really simple .. Hiding was also very useful (once you got it high enough to count on)

And if you got constantly attacked and Looted in UO you were playing wrong and deserve what you got .. What you should of taken away from situation is What can i do for better survival .. 

If you consistently let the same thing happen to you over and over and did nothing to change your approach.. well .. thats just a level of stupid i wont address

And IMO if anyone did not expect gamers to be jerks and assholes , they should probably just begin over and start learning life in general first .. It should of taught them that ... Unless of course they thought that some magical being cast a happy be nice spell over players as they logged into a Game ..

People generally do not change there approach to other people  in games .actually knowing people one would surely to expect them to act worse .. Which most do ..
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

Well lets start with all the reds , which there were quite a few went into UO expecting PVP ..

Many blues which i am one of , knew what to expect , all my friends knew what to expect ..

IMO the people that didnt expect PVP did not take the time to read the  box or do any research on UO at all ..

But your stance now is very different from .. " PVP was Forced on All players in UO"     

thats simply false ..

Your stance now is " they did not expect the severity or degree of PVP" which again , i blame the player ..

Anyone that was constantly killed and looted did not take time to learn those game systems ..  WIthin 2 weeks our entire crew knew to have a safe rune and recall scrolls ...

Took me hmm been awhile .. 1 week to figure out .. I need Magery and recall trained up RIGHT NOW .. then Hiding ..

After magery and recall was really quite easy escape reds(if needed to )  ..  As soon as you see that red name on the edge of screen REcall .. really simple .. Hiding was also very useful (once you got it high enough to count on)

And if you got constantly attacked and Looted in UO you were playing wrong and deserve what you got .. What you should of taken away from situation is What can i do for better survival .. 

If you consistently let the same thing happen to you over and over and did nothing to change your approach.. well .. thats just a level of stupid i wont address

And IMO if anyone did not expect gamers to be jerks and assholes , they should probably just begin over and start learning life in general first .. It should of taught them that ... Unless of course they thought that some magical being cast a happy be nice spell over players as they logged into a Game ..

People generally do not change there approach to other people  in games .actually knowing people one would surely to expect them to act worse .. Which most do ..
    LOL, I'm not going to argue with you. 
    The numbers of players that left UO speaks for itself. 
    Sure, you can blame everyone else, if that makes a difference for ya. 
    It doesn't for me. The end result matters. 

Once upon a time....

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

thats simply false ..

LOL, I'm not going to argue with you. 
    The numbers of players that left UO speaks for itself. 
    Sure, you can blame everyone else, if that makes a difference for ya. 
    It doesn't for me. The end result matters. 

Of course you dont .. you cant .. the statement in question .. you said ..

"But the fact remains that PvP was forced on all the players"

Which is completely false and what the discusion was about ..

Moving the goalposts does not change that false statement ..

And you are throwing another blanket ..

many players left becuase of PVP .. true

Many UO players also  left because they did not like the direction EA took with Brittania .. (Samurai Empire Expansion) Ill add in my 23 years of UO this was the biggest and loudest exodos of players i recall

Many players  alos left for 3 d games that provided a different pve expereince ..

Many players also left for games with more intuitive UI s

Many plarers simply left because most people do not stick with any game very long ..

Many reasons people leave a 23 year old game .

But its pop after 23 years is still solid .. and there is some big news coming down the pipe for UO
     And after all of this most did not expect UO to survive , but it has , afterall the game is about survival , and a game like UO will weed out weak players ..

And still 23 years later it is a better MMORPG virtual world that anything  we have , with more activites for players than any other game ..

Post edited by Scorchien on
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

And that's the sort of thing, based on the context, that makes wonder about your intentions. 

I don't really want to get in the middle of your disagreement here. 

I thought Scorchien's comment was insightful because I didn't know the UO box told players what they might expect when playing UO.

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

thats simply false ..

So what about players who wanted to play non-magic-using characters?
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on

Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

I thought Scorchien's comment was insightful because I didn't know the UO box told players what they might expect when playing UO.
    He's full of the typical PvPer BS. 
    Can you spot the difference in these two statements?

- "It's a tough world out there, and you will die."
    - "It's a world full of other players using their real time strategies and trickeries, ambushes and betrayals, to set you up, kill you, and loot you until you are blue in the face. Before you leave our game please fill out the questionnaire." 

I don't recall the exact wording and I'm not going to dig around looking for my box. But it was something like the first statement, and nothing close to the second, which is accurate. 
    Ancient_Exile

Once upon a time....

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

- "It's a world full of other players using their real time strategies and trickeries, ambushes and betrayals, to set you up, kill you, and loot you until you are blue in the face. Before you leave our game please fill out the questionnaire." 

I don't recall the exact wording and I'm not going to dig around looking for my box. But it was something like the first statement, and nothing close to the second, which is accurate. 

Point taken.

Also, in a game that supposedly leaves it up to the player to play however they choose, why should a player absolutely need to learn/train certain skills or abilities in order to survive? 

Unless the game has something like a prehistoric setting and your character needs to learn how to gather, hunt, and/or fish or he or she is basically screwed.  (Unless the character has already been taught how to garden/farm by a deity or other form of higher power/higher intelligence.  Though the environment would probably also need to have an abundance of fruit trees and vegetables at hand in order to supplement the diet of a character that didn't also gather, hunt, and/or fish.  As gardening and farming takes time and fruit or vegetable produce/crops can fail quite often.

Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

Point taken.

Also, in a game that supposedly leaves it up to the player to play however they choose, why should a player absolutely need to learn/train certain skills or abilities in order to survive? 

Unless the game has something like a prehistoric setting and your character needs to learn how to gather, hunt, and/or fish or he or she is basically screwed.  (Unless the character has already been taught how to garden/farm by a deity or other form of higher power/higher intelligence.  Though the environment would probably also need to have an abundance of fruit trees and vegetables at hand in order to supplement the diet of a character that didn't also gather, hunt, and/or fish.  As gardening and farming takes time and fruit or vegetable produce/crops can fail quite often.
    It's one thing to be focused on PvE. It's an entirely other thing to be focused on PvP. 
    Players who don't PvP all the time are at a distinct disadvantage because they aren't up on the new tactics, and their timing is slower, and their strategies are less practiced for PvP. 

Also, there are numerous times that a Player is distracted doing their PvE stuff, slowed from seeing the arrival of "Reds." Or realizing a PvP attack has started. 

The mere fact that Players should have to escape (from their game play) so often is bad enough, anyways. 
    Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 
    Or just leave that stupid crap behind and cancel sub. 

Once upon a time....

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

Point taken.

It's one thing to be focused on PvE. It's an entirely other thing to be focused on PvP. 
    Players who don't PvP all the time are at a distinct disadvantage because they aren't up on the new tactics, and their timing is slower, and their strategies are less practiced for PvP. 

Also, there are numerous times that a Player is distracted doing their PvE stuff, slowed from seeing the arrival of "Reds." Or realizing a PvP attack has started. 

The mere fact that Players should have to escape (from their game play) so often is bad enough, anyways. 
    Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 

If armies, mobs, bandit gangs, pirate crews, bands of homicidal maniacs or any other sort of group of Player-robbing/hunting/killer/otherwise dominating Player Characters can operate with impunity in a game world that is also inhabited by Non-Player Character & Mob societies/civilizations, armies, and warbands, etc, then the game is not designed properly.  IMHO. 

An NPC Kingdom (or other such Political entity) will not allow military (or criminal) forces (small, medium-sized, or large) to roam through its territory without permission, restriction or impediment.  Even Barbarians, Nomads, Monster tribes, and animals would consider certain territory to be their own.  And they would not take kindly to those who infringe upon their territory.  The idea that Zergs can freely roam a game world without meeting serious NPC or Mob resistance is a definite design flaw.  Even a roaming dragon might see a Zerg and think such a large number of people might provide a tempting snack or meal.  Being incinerating by a large cone of fire that seemingly appears out of nowhere once in a while might cause players to think twice about how much of an obvious target they present themselves as.

Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

Point taken.

Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 

If armies, mobs, bandit gangs, pirate crews, bands of homicidal maniacs or any other sort of group of Player-robbing/hunting/killer/otherwise dominating Player Characters can operate with impunity in a game world that is also inhabited by Non-Player Character & Mob societies/civilizations, armies, and warbands, etc, then the game is not designed properly.  IMHO. 

An NPC Kingdom (or other such Political entity) will not allow military (or criminal) forces (small, medium-sized, or large) to roam through its territory without permission, restriction or impediment.  Even Barbarians, Nomads, Monster tribes, and animals would consider certain territory to be their own.  And they would not take kindly to those who infringe upon their territory.  The idea that Zergs can freely roam a game world without meeting serious NPC or Mob resistance is a definite design flaw.  Even a roaming dragon might see a Zerg and think such a large number of people might provide a tempting snack or meal.  Being incinerating by a large cone of fire that seemingly appears out of nowhere once in a while might cause players to think twice about how much of an obvious target they present themselves as.
    Comparing this to the fast travel system I outlined is something I've been thinking about. 
    Or something else, for that matter. 
    These things would be pretty important for a game to work according to plan. 

Ancient_Exile

Once upon a time....

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Wanted that experience

Simple as that ..
    Oh come on. 

Point taken.

Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 

First let me make this very clear as you assume i am a PVPer in the above post ..

I have never played a Red , but i do PvP and welcome

Second your over the top exageration and hyperbole of UO is ridiculous ..

Wanna know how many times i can remember recalling to Escape as  you put it ..

I will keep my memory of it from 97 to 200 when Rennasance indroduced the Land Expansion and Felucca ..

Maybe , and im being very friendly to you and your exageration, 2 dozen times in that near 3 year time frame .. maybe

My god you are right thats horrible .. lmfao

If you do not have the intestinal fortitude to play an OWPVP game then stick to the kiddie coaster ..

ANd to honest you most likely had to Escape from PVE mobs just as much ..

Really weak arguement ...Ohh we have to escape .. LMAO cmon man its a fucking game , I never understood why people get so upset  about there pixels dying .. How do these people manage to get thru life at all ..
    And as far as your other post you made this is comic gold .. my god how soft and squishy can you be ..

"- "It's a world full of other players using their real time strategies and trickeries, ambushes and betrayals, to set you up, kill you, and loot you until you are blue in the face. Before you leave our game please fill out the questionnaire." 

lol  wtf ..
    -           

You know how this translates to me "  Im not smart enough to fight back , I lack the intestinal fortitude and intelligence to use the same tools that are availble to all players to fight back ... Instead ill just quit .. And go fight some defenseless PVE( in EQ) mobs  to make myself feel better

Please fill out your questionaire..

Some of us fought back .. Laying traps and ambushes for the REds was a great time , we got so good at it they avoided our group after a while ..

UO weeded out the weak players .. consider your self weeded ....

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Point taken.

Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 

First let me make this very clear as you assume i am a PVPer in the above post ..

I will keep my memory of it from 97 to 200 when Rennasance indroduced the Land Expansion and Felucca ..

Maybe , and im being very friendly to you and your exageration, 2 dozen times in that near 3 year time frame .. maybe

If you do not have the intestinal fortitude to play an OWPVP game then stick to the kiddie coaster ..

Really weak arguement ...Ohh we have to escape .. LMAO cmon man its a fucking game , I never understood why people get so upset  about there pixels dying .. How do these people manage to get thru life at all ..
    I played UO for it's first 13 years or so. 
    I was in a PvP guild, also an "Anti" (anti-PKer) guild until it folded because they went to EQ. Then I was in another guild of the same sort for the rest of my time in UO. 
    So stop with your assumptions and personal ridicule. 

I called you a PvPer, not a Red PKer. 
    (And yeah, I can see that you're being friendly to me. lol)
    What I said about the typical PvPers attitude is what's projected on forums all too often. 
    I know some PvPers aren't like that, that is to say, not like you. 
    But that "me Tarzan" crap is as old as the hills and tiresome. 
    It's the internet, you don't get any points for being all tough and all over frieking games. 

Ungood

Once upon a time....

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Point taken.

Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 

I was in a PvP guild, also an "Anti" (anti-PKer) guild until it folded because they went to EQ. Then I was in another guild of the same sort for the rest of my time in UO. 

What I said about the typical PvPers attitude is what's projected on forums all too often. 
    It's the internet, you don't get any points for being all tough and all over frieking games. 

Wow , well that is odd 13 years then you must of really enjoyed UO , i mean only a fucking idiot would do something for 13 years they did not enjoy .

So i will conclude with UO was not near half as bad as you make it sound in every post in this thread , that your tears are still wet on ..

ANd just to help you , your endless quest to come up with OWPVP game will not work and no publisher or investor will touch , (well none that have 2 brain cells to rub together )

And on top of that as you i told you in this thread and others like , no PvPer will also touch the ridiculous game mechainics you promote here , but the irony is that you would end up without PVP at all , which is what you want anyway .. so Grats man .. you created a Hardcore OWPVP game without any PvPers .. wtg ..

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 
    Now, I am not sure at what exact point a game has set themselves up to stagnate but I wager when your players need to escape from a game they play for escapism, that would be pretty much the goal post I would use.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Point taken.

Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 

Wow , well that is odd 13 years then you must of really enjoyed UO , i mean only a fucking idiot would do something for 13 years they did not enjoy .

So i will conclude with UO was not near half as bad as you make it sound in every post in this thread , that your tears are still wet on ..

ANd just to help you , your endless quest to come up with OWPVP game will not work and no publisher or investor will touch , (well none that have 2 brain cells to rub together )

And on top of that as you i told you in this thread and others like , no PvPer will also touch the ridiculous game mechainics you promote here , but the irony is that you would end up without PVP at all , which is what you want anyway .. so Grats man .. you created a Hardcore OWPVP game without any PvPers .. wtg ..

What an idiotic comment. I'm pretty sure you have no reading comprehension. No idea of what people are saying, proposing, or trying to discuss. 

Once upon a time....

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Andurin said:

Point taken.

Escape, 
    go somewhere else, 
    escape, 
    rinse and repeat. 

What an idiotic comment. I'm pretty sure you have no reading comprehension. No idea of what people are saying, proposing, or trying to discuss. 

you obviously do not read your own threads ..

Scorchien said:

Hey, @Scorchien

Do players who like PVP MMORPGs just want to kill other people's characters, or do they play PVP for increased challenge, risk, excitement, and interest?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Scorchien said:

Hey, @Scorchien

Do players who like PVP MMORPGs just want to kill other people's characters, or do they play PVP for increased challenge, risk, excitement, and interest?

Yes.
    UngoodkitaradSovrath

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR