Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Factions: Online - Faction based PvPvE MMORPG with Territory control

Comments

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Not at the present time. Right now there are just enemy camps and then enemy scouts that patrol a set area. I am currently working on a new Spawning system which will allow the spawning of mobs at certain times of the day or other spawning requirements. I will also be adding random world events which will randomly spawn in different world bosses through out the world. 

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Let me know when the livestream with Mr. Lumpyman is planned.  I'll pop in.

I always though that was you in the video that called him that and was drilling them the whole time.
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    JamesP said:
    Not at the present time. Right now there are just enemy camps and then enemy scouts that patrol a set area. I am currently working on a new Spawning system which will allow the spawning of mobs at certain times of the day or other spawning requirements. I will also be adding random world events which will randomly spawn in different world bosses through out the world. 

That's cool.  But I do believe that programming the AI to collect resources, build, and spawn on its own would make for a more dynamic game world. 
    Palebane
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

JamesP said:

That's cool.  But I do believe that programming the AI to collect resources, build, and spawn on its own would make for a more dynamic game world. 
    It would. In the past I've had ideas for a dynamic Quest system where events can happen like a Village could come under attack and be destroyed. Then NPCs would generate Quests to have the player help them gather the resources needed to rebuild their house or shop.

So like NPC Bob has his house destroyed. It's going to take 100 wood and 50 stone to repair it so he generates a Quest for the player to gather 100 wood and then another quest to gather 50 stone. Player Joe comes along finds the destroyed Village and starts a conversation with NPC Bob. Bob gives Joe the 2 quests and Joe goes off to gather the needed resources. Once the resources have been gathered Joe comes back turns in the resources and Bob sets out to repair his house. Joe gains some rep. with the faction and sets out to find another NPC in the village or to find another adventure to head out on.
    Palebane

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

edited April 2020
    JamesP said:
    JamesP said:

It would. In the past I've had ideas for a dynamic Quest system where events can happen like a Village could come under attack and be destroyed. Then NPCs would generate Quests to have the player help them gather the resources needed to rebuild their house or shop.

So like NPC Bob has his house destroyed. It's going to take 100 wood and 50 stone to repair it so he generates a Quest for the player to gather 100 wood and then another quest to gather 50 stone. Player Joe comes along finds the destroyed Village and starts a conversation with NPC Bob. Bob gives Joe the 2 quests and Joe goes off to gather the needed resources. Once the resources have been gathered Joe comes back turns in the resources and Bob sets out to repair his house. Joe gains some rep. with the faction and sets out to find another NPC in the village or to find another adventure to head out on.

If you design your game world to be dynamic rather than static, there's never any reason for an end game.  New content would then mostly be created for occasional events rather than expansions.  Not to say you couldn't also choose to increase the size of the game world, adding new locations and factions over time.
    Gdemami

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    If you design your game world to be dynamic rather than static, there's never any reason for an end game.  New content would then mostly be created for occasional events rather than expansions.  Not to say you couldn't also choose to increase the size of the game world, adding new locations and factions over time.
    Name me a game which the game world is actually dynamic...

People some how think that is easier than making a game with end game dungeon/raid/battleground.
    edited April 2020
    AAAMEOW said:
    Name me a game which the game world is actually dynamic...

People some how think that is easier than making a game with end game dungeon/raid/battleground.

I didn't say it was easier.  However, more work at the beginning = less work over time.  After a dynamic game world is created, the game developers just have to manage it.  They aren't forced to keep creating new content in order to retain their players.  Because the Player Characters and Mob AI will direct the flow of events.  And every server (if there are multiple servers) will be different.  I mean in terms of how events have unfolded.  Of course, there would need to be some sort of Neutral Arbiter (one of the Game Masters) that would strive to maintain balance in the game world.  If one Faction was becoming too powerful, then a Developer-designed Event could be used to weaken that Faction.  Or n new Faction could be introduced that was either just as strong or a little stronger than the current reigning Faction.  Thereby drawing that Faction's attention and allowing other Factions to build/regain their strength. 

Of course, players could possibly choose to vote on a reset after a few years (3-5 years or longer, depending on how popular the game was).  All their characters would then be reincarnated into a new world, with their new characters a little stronger initially then when that server originally started.  The server would then be locked to new players, unless players paid(?) to transfer from another server where they had been reincarnated.  The last days/weeks/months of the server would either be the unfolding of a Cataclysm Destruction, Reign of Terror, or the building of some kind of Paradise or Utopia (etc.) depending on whether it was good or evil faction that was dominating.  The exact nature of that Faction would also be taken into account.

EDIT:  Actually, I suppose a new player could join a Reset Server.  He or she would just have to pay $5-10 for a reincarnated character.
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on
    Gdemami

An additional Screenshot of the graphical upgrade done today...

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

JamesP said:

So you've done all that by yourself?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Let me know when the livestream with Mr. Lumpyman is planned.  I'll pop in.

I always though that was you in the video that called him that and was drilling them the whole time.
    Video?   Anyone have a copy?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

JamesP said:

Yes I have. The assets are of course bought from the asset store. I'm not a 3d modeler but placing them and setting everything up was all done by me. I'm using a Heavily modified version of uMMORPG for the framework, Gaia for terrain texturing and tree placement, Heavily modified version of UniStorm for the day/night cycle and weather, and then a bunch of other things.
    Palebane

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

JamesP said:
    JamesP said:

Yes I have. The assets are of course bought from the asset store. I'm not a 3d modeler but placing them and setting everything up was all done by me. I'm using a Heavily modified version of uMMORPG for the framework, Gaia for terrain texturing and tree placement, Heavily modified version of UniStorm for the day/night cycle and weather, and then a bunch of other things.

Well, it looks decent enough to me.

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    JamesP said:
    JamesP said:

You could implement some switch case creating quests after personal priorisation. E.g.
    - home
    - food
    - tools
    - family heirloom

Like checking maslows hierarchy of needs and then getting the cortesponding quest to fulfill the next level.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

JamesP said:
    JamesP said:

You could implement some switch case creating quests after personal priorisation. E.g.
    - home
    - food
    - tools
    - family heirloom

Like checking maslows hierarchy of needs and then getting the cortesponding quest to fulfill the next level.
    In order for a more realistic and more vibrant economy to exist in the game, a few basic features/systems are required.  This is because all real world economies are based on certain fundamentals.  Without which a true or functioning economy cannot exist. 
      And therefore, more realistic social, political, and military orders/organizations cannot exist either.

1) Player Characters & NPCs need food/water, shelter, clothing, and sleep.  Items/equipment gear needs to be able to break/wear out/get damaged beyond repair/decay/otherwise became unusable.

A signifcant part of any economy is repairing or replacing perishable items.

1a) PCs & NPCs get hungry and thirsty.  They can actually die from hunger & thirst.  So, they need to eat and drink occasionally.  More so if they've been doing any form of strenuous exercise (especially fighting) or if they haven't gotten enough sleep.

1b) PCs & NPCs need to seek shelter when weather conditions demand it.  If not then certain penalites will result.  Cold, heat, dampness, dryness, etc., can all effect the stats and performance of characters.

1c) Clothing is necessary for warmth.  But warm clothing can be a hindrance in warmer climates.  Clothes and armor should also have be subject to damage, wear, and tear.
    Durability and decay are factors.  Clothing and armor can only be repaired or mended so many times before it becomes worthless.  Unless they're magical or divine/infernal (holy/unholy).  Some magical/divine/infernal gear might last forever, some might just last a lot longer than normal equipment.  The same would apply to weapons and other types of items and equipment.  Food and liquids would also be perishable. 

1d) PCs & NPCs all need to sleep/rest occasionally in order to restore stamina/energy and to restore hitpoints/magic points more quickly.  This wouldn't take long in game terms.  Anyone ever played the old Final Fantasy games where your party could sleep in an inn or camp in sleeping bags/tents/cabins in order to fully restore HP & MP?  The need to sleep would also make inns and taverns more useful.  As would the option for a player to own his or her own home.

Encumbrance should also be a factor.  Player Characters shouldn't be able to carry arsenals on their backs.  It's dumb.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

edited April 2020

Factions: Online
    Dev. Log for:
    April 13th through the 19th

Week Goals:
    - Integrate PlayFab for Analytics and User accounts
    - Get the Environment Synced across the Network - Day/Night and Weather
    - Mob Spawning work

I was able to accomplish all the goals I set out to do this past week. I have a Server Side Environment Manager which handles the Day/Night Cycle and Generating weather and then syncs all the clients up so everyone is seeing the same environment.

I started work on a Spawning System which is integrated in with the Environment Manager so I'm able to have Mobs that spawn only at certain times, or on certain days of the week, or certain months, ect.

I also Integrated PlayFab so players create an actual account and I'm able to see different analytics data about the game in real time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Goals for next week:

-- Client --

- Switch over to the new UI

-- Content pass --
    - Add more Items
    - Add more Mobs
    - Add more skills and Spells

-- Server --

- Optimize assets on the server

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Hi. Sorry for the delays in the latest updates. I am still a month or so out from the next update. I have made some major changes that require a huge rewrite but in the end the changes will be for the better.

One of the major issues we faced with Greed Monger was the way we set up the terrain. We created small 500 meters by 500 meters terrain chunks. In order to have the sort of view distance we wanted it required having so many terrain chunks loaded at once and ended up having major performance impacts. When we created the terrain height maps we also exported larger 2,000 meter by 2,000 meter terrain height maps.

One of the things that I am doing for Factions is switching over to those larger 2,000 meter by 2,000 meter height maps and using Greed Monger's world. The Climates will have to be recreated so things will be different but the world placement will be the same. Volcanic lands in the center, Arctic up north, Tropics and Desert to the west and the Grass lands to the east. All of the Islands are in their correct spots as well.

I also have the Land Claim system and Player housing well on their way to being implemented.

I feel that doing this rewrite was a much needed move in the right direction and will allow factions to get to the next stage. I will have more info on the tech being used and how the world is being streamed into the client at a later date.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I'd say you need to be really careful about using anything (asset, code, anything at all) from Greedmonger for legal, ethical and negative publicity reasons.

Just some advice.

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Just a quick recap of what was worked on today:

Land Claims
    Land Claims are areas placed in the world by players where players are able to build their houses, farms, work stations, ect. Land Claims will have a permissions system allowing players to decide who can do what on their land claim. They will also have a taxing system allowing players to tax players for the use of their claim.

Deed Item
    Deed Items are a class of in game items that gives ownership of something to a player

Land Claim Item
    The Land Claim Item is the first type of Deed Item. Land Claim Deeds can be bought in game. When used they will generate a Land Claim at your location and snapped to a Grid.

Placeable Items
    Placeable Items are a class of in game Item that can be placed in the world by players. They include Defensive and Offensive Structures, Economic Structures, props, crafting stations, ect.

Structure Item
    The Structure Item is the first class of Placeable Items. At the moment they are being used for all items that can be placed in the world.

Interactive Object
    Interactive Object or Entity is a class of in game objects that the player can interact with. They would include everything from Doors, to Campfires, to Crafting Stations. 

Color Coding for Object placement:
    Red: Object can't be placed at all

Yellow: Object is ok to be placed but it's off a land claim so won't be persisted and will be destroyed after an hour.

Green: Object is safe to be placed and is on a Land Claim you own or have building permission for. Object will be persisted.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Just some of the latest screenshots...

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    This real or scam? Just making sure. Because seem interesting for a indy mmo

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

JamesP said:
    As of right now Every player starts out in the same faction (This is just for testing) there are AI controlled factions in game right now that depending on what you do your standing with them can increase or decrease. Kill them your standing goes down, do tasks for them your standing increase. Your faction standing with AI factions will determine what quests you have available to you, what items you can purchase from them, and if you are even allowed inside towns, able to use warp gates, ect.

Using the system I have in place Mobs/NPCs will attack enemy factions (including enemy AI controlled factions) so it's likely you will come across battles taking place between AI controlled mobs/npcs that were dynamically generated (they just happened to wander into each other's aggro range) and you will be able to decide which side you want to help out which will effect your standings with the different factions. 
    This I don't like. This reminds me of Faction jumping. It always ruin Faction based PvP MMOs because the internet is troll Paradise. You only fueling that and will lead to rogues and trolls ruining the very thing that makes Faction people more secure and enjoyable than FFA/GvG PvP

May I recommend you have class system with unique UI specific class mechanics 

edited May 2020
    JamesP said:
    As of right now Every player starts out in the same faction (This is just for testing) there are AI controlled factions in game right now that depending on what you do your standing with them can increase or decrease. Kill them your standing goes down, do tasks for them your standing increase. Your faction standing with AI factions will determine what quests you have available to you, what items you can purchase from them, and if you are even allowed inside towns, able to use warp gates, ect.

Using the system I have in place Mobs/NPCs will attack enemy factions (including enemy AI controlled factions) so it's likely you will come across battles taking place between AI controlled mobs/npcs that were dynamically generated (they just happened to wander into each other's aggro range) and you will be able to decide which side you want to help out which will effect your standings with the different factions. 
    This I don't like. This reminds me of Faction jumping. It always ruin Faction based PvP MMOs because the internet is troll Paradise. You only fueling that and will lead to rogues and trolls ruining the very thing that makes Faction people more secure and enjoyable than FFA/GvG PvP

If players characters aren't allowed to leave Factions, switch Factions, or be removed from Factions, how will Factions deal with players who are spies or traitors?

JamesP said:

If players characters aren't allowed to leave Factions, switch Factions, or be removed from Factions, how will Factions deal with players who are spies or traitors?
    They counter each other out. I rather that then mechanics that lead to more toxic communities and gameplay. It ruins Faction based MMOs. Leave that for GvG/FFA mmos
    Gdemami