Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big business killed off everything.

13»

Comments

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    You do realize a killer virus is at hand destroying economies in the US and all over the world. 

And you want a choo choo train. 

Can I ask how old you are ?

I thought this thread was about how Big Business has destroyed MMORPGs. 

bcbully[Deleted User]Amathe
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited May 2020
    You do realize a killer virus is at hand destroying economies in the US and all over the world. 

To be fair he said "everything" :p
    Post edited by ChildoftheShadows on

To be fair he said "everything". 

That's true.  I stand corrected.

ChildoftheShadows

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I find that most gamers are sheep...They go where they are told to go, play what they are told to play and what the other sheep play, and don't really have a mind of their own. Big companies dominate this kind of person. They market their games to this kind of mentality. Remember when all we heard about WoW was how many people were playing? Well that's sheep mentality.
    GdemamiAncient_Exile
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 357
    edited May 2020
    Big companies can sometimes make good games, look at CD Project. It is probably that US based ones cant and thats probably not size issue but a culture issue. I mean its not like Hollywood is any better. 

It takes creativity and having something to say that makes things worthwile. Wow wasnt the greatest game but had alot of the new innovative forward thinking elements needed at the time to propel mmorpgs to the next levele of popularity. 
    Gdemami
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Kyleran said:
    BruceYee said:
    I think this is where they always wanted to be and the way they got here was just the process to accomplish their goal. Whether or not we got too attached to the "steps" along the way is on us. Some industries do it a little more honest than others but ultimately maximum superiority and "too big to fail" I think is what all of them strive for. Just look at the car industry as an example they felt they were above it all and replaced all plastic in their cars with SOY so wild animals now view wires in car engines as friggin food. Cars people paid 100k for are having wiring chewed through and car companies could care less because they are literally above the law. In many ways game companies are also above any scrutiny from us peasants and they can or can not do anything they don't need us anymore. They have their addicts in every new generation that is satisfied with mediocrity cause Johnny Streamer who gets paid by the game companies tells them it's a good game.

The solution to all of our mmorpg woes is playing the mmorpg's that are still around cause yeah big business did a number on what we loved but what we love also still exists in many games. Support the companies that keep the classics up and running or they will go away and we'll have nothing left.

Yeah, like for example, how come there aren't bullet trains in California?  Japan has more earthquakes than California but the Japanese get to have bullet trains.  Cuts down on car accidents and drunk driving incidents, that's for sure.  Probably better for the environment as well.  But bullet trains would allow for people to commute to work and school without A) paying for gas B ) paying for car repair/parts/maintenance C) even buying a car at all D) paying for driver's licenses, auto registration, and car insurance.  And that, my friends, is bad for big business. 
    Well then, I guess California has a lot more money than I thought it did !

- Who will pay off all the land and property needed to build this thing.   
      Could you imagine the property owners needing to be bought out ?

- Who will pay for the train itself.

Love it how people toss money around like they know what their talking about.  Worst yet, don't even think about the money aspect. 

* 3 responses and not one thought about cost *
    Yep, cost is the issue.   The Obama administration offered the State of Florida $8B to build a high speed rail between the major cities yet the Governor turned it down with many accusing him of doing so for political reasons.

Turns out this was only half of the total "projected" cost of the system and how often is any government funded effort delivered on time without exceeding its budget?

Also, forecasts showed it would be largely used by tourists, yet revenues would likely never cover the costs to build and then operate, so the taxpayers would end up covering a train they rarely used.

You can build a lot of roads for $16B plus and what locals here really want is an effective commuter rail solution for getting around town, not traveling around the state, we'll be driving our cars for the longer road trips.

Are you serious?

This is America we're talking about here.  THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  The same UNITED STATES OF AMERICA which built the Continental Railroad.  The same UNITED STATES that invented the airplane.  And remember, it was Americans that won World War II and put a man on the moon (supposedly).  It was Americans that destroyed the Death Star and defeated Cobra.  America still has the Ark of the Covenant and Excalibur stored in a warehouse to this very day.  Americans put an end to the reign of Sauron on the Planet Klingon.  (When He-Man summoned Optimus Prime to light our darkest hour, in the nick of time, at the very last moment, right when we needed him most.)  Though sadly, it is true that most of our Intergalactic Star Fleet had to be sacrificed by Ender when the Zentraedi launched a sneak attack on our Martian Colonies.  Still, regardless, Ripley was saved from the foul clutches of Gargamel and peace was restored to the Galaxy.  By Americans.  From America.

So now, knowing all that to be absolutely and undeniably true, you're really going to tell me that America is not capable of building a few measly Bullet Trains?  Wow.  Tell me, Kyleran, do you live in reality, or is it just a place you visit from time to time?  Like when you need to buy a pack of smokes or restock your liquor cabinet?
    https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/22/californias-bullet-train-farce-keeps-stumbling-on/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/california-bullet-train-costs-jump

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-02-12/california-bullet-train-adds-another-1-billion-to-projected-costs-for-project

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-bullet-train-employees-told-to-shut-up

https://www.kcra.com/article/california-bullet-train-partner-hires-outside-investigator/32243482
    Fox News? Sounds legit.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    bcbully said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Kyleran said:
    BruceYee said:
    I think this is where they always wanted to be and the way they got here was just the process to accomplish their goal. Whether or not we got too attached to the "steps" along the way is on us. Some industries do it a little more honest than others but ultimately maximum superiority and "too big to fail" I think is what all of them strive for. Just look at the car industry as an example they felt they were above it all and replaced all plastic in their cars with SOY so wild animals now view wires in car engines as friggin food. Cars people paid 100k for are having wiring chewed through and car companies could care less because they are literally above the law. In many ways game companies are also above any scrutiny from us peasants and they can or can not do anything they don't need us anymore. They have their addicts in every new generation that is satisfied with mediocrity cause Johnny Streamer who gets paid by the game companies tells them it's a good game.

The solution to all of our mmorpg woes is playing the mmorpg's that are still around cause yeah big business did a number on what we loved but what we love also still exists in many games. Support the companies that keep the classics up and running or they will go away and we'll have nothing left.

Yeah, like for example, how come there aren't bullet trains in California?  Japan has more earthquakes than California but the Japanese get to have bullet trains.  Cuts down on car accidents and drunk driving incidents, that's for sure.  Probably better for the environment as well.  But bullet trains would allow for people to commute to work and school without A) paying for gas B ) paying for car repair/parts/maintenance C) even buying a car at all D) paying for driver's licenses, auto registration, and car insurance.  And that, my friends, is bad for big business. 

Love it how people toss money around like they know what their talking about.  Worst yet, don't even think about the money aspect. 

Yep, cost is the issue.   The Obama administration offered the State of Florida $8B to build a high speed rail between the major cities yet the Governor turned it down with many accusing him of doing so for political reasons.

Turns out this was only half of the total "projected" cost of the system and how often is any government funded effort delivered on time without exceeding its budget?

Also, forecasts showed it would be largely used by tourists, yet revenues would likely never cover the costs to build and then operate, so the taxpayers would end up covering a train they rarely used.

You can build a lot of roads for $16B plus and what locals here really want is an effective commuter rail solution for getting around town, not traveling around the state, we'll be driving our cars for the longer road trips.

Are you serious?

This is America we're talking about here.  THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  The same UNITED STATES OF AMERICA which built the Continental Railroad.  The same UNITED STATES that invented the airplane.  And remember, it was Americans that won World War II and put a man on the moon (supposedly).  It was Americans that destroyed the Death Star and defeated Cobra.  America still has the Ark of the Covenant and Excalibur stored in a warehouse to this very day.  Americans put an end to the reign of Sauron on the Planet Klingon.  (When He-Man summoned Optimus Prime to light our darkest hour, in the nick of time, at the very last moment, right when we needed him most.)  Though sadly, it is true that most of our Intergalactic Star Fleet had to be sacrificed by Ender when the Zentraedi launched a sneak attack on our Martian Colonies.  Still, regardless, Ripley was saved from the foul clutches of Gargamel and peace was restored to the Galaxy.  By Americans.  From America.

So now, knowing all that to be absolutely and undeniably true, you're really going to tell me that America is not capable of building a few measly Bullet Trains?  Wow.  Tell me, Kyleran, do you live in reality, or is it just a place you visit from time to time?  Like when you need to buy a pack of smokes or restock your liquor cabinet?
    https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/22/californias-bullet-train-farce-keeps-stumbling-on/

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-02-12/california-bullet-train-adds-another-1-billion-to-projected-costs-for-project

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-bullet-train-employees-told-to-shut-up

https://www.kcra.com/article/california-bullet-train-partner-hires-outside-investigator/32243482
    Fox News? Sounds legit.
    Better than CNN...where they omit everything then use their own fake words.
    Iselinbcbully[Deleted User]
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Your opinion and as we know we all have one.

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    edited May 2020

1960's > 1980's rock music was composed by singers and bands.  Competition was fierce but doable, if you had the talent, luck and motivation to seek out labels.   

Rocketman, The Elton John movie…… This is how it was done !

2020 music is composed by Big Business sponsors…..THEN singers and bands are sought.

Ever notice music is not so popular anymore ?...... Even the Britney Spears era faded away because of legal issues…… It, in it self got complicated.   Elton John wouldn't have a chance in hell. 

Rock music and mmoprg's  

Nah dude, the music industry has always been the same as far as nobody writing their own music and having artists hamstrung by power players.

To go off the example you gave...

Elton John, for the most part, never wrote a single lyric. 

Some of the most famous musical talents from the 50s-80s were people like Phil Spencer who never performed a song but wrote hits for practically every pop act that existed at the time.  Even the Beatles were notorious for not playing their own instruments...

Honestly, you have an outrageously higher chance to get a hit song on your own now than you ever did at any other time in history.  Same kinda applies to video games. 

All that Sound cloud music and games like Undertale would have never gotten the publicity it did if it was twenty years ago.  In fact, I don't like much of it, but I can name at least 5 famous sound cloud rappers.  How many bands or artists got famous off MP3.com or Garageband.com when those sites existed in the previous decades with the exact same setup?

How many non-corporate published games in the 80s or 90s even got close to 10% of the success of Minecraft?

Gotta respectfully disagree with this one.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    bcbully said:
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Kyleran said:
    BruceYee said:

Are you serious?

Fox News? Sounds legit.
    Better than CNN...where they omit everything then use their own fake words.
    Fake words?

stundergasted 
    flabbergastspeachless

cameltosis
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Ancient_Exile

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    OG_Zorvan said:
    Kyleran said:
    BruceYee said:

Are you serious?

Nice effort for the links. California is about as messed up as they come. 
    Gdemamidelete5230[Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

This discussion has been closed.