Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO vs EQ

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    So, I just stopped by the Inn in New Haven to grab a bite to eat.  After savoring my meal, I went upstairs, then noticed that a dog had followed me.  Curious, I attempted to tame the dog.  Turned out to be easier than I thought.  Subsequently, I changed the dog's name to Cat.  And now I am resting in one of the Inn's upper rooms with my new found best friend.  Soon I may undertake a perilous journey through the Moongate in order to locate West Britannia, wherein I have been informed a Jeweler resides.  For I have many pieces of jewelry which I previously looted from rather fashionable Skeletons and Zombies.  Unfortunately, even my magic map has not enabled me to locate a Jeweler in New Haven.  And so, I have determined to make the Dangerous Journey to another city.  For the first time.  Thankfully, I still have my divine protection which prevents monsters and beasts from initiating combat with me.  So I might just make it to West Britannia without being torn apart or otherwise mutilated beyond recognition.
    Ahh, how things have changed, my friend. 
    Such protections were not available when I was a youth in those lands. 
    In those foul days, the Moongates were often surrounded by killers of all kinds. On your journ, for example, if you were to be fortunate enough not to be hunted by humanity's foul sorts, you would certainly have been swallowed whole by a giant serpent. 

Also, back in my early adventure days, getting to where you wanted to go, through a Moongate, was a tricky thing. 
    They alternated destinations, and you had no control. They scrolled through the destinations like an age'ed monk reading a list very, very, slowly. But their order never changed, and they were based on the moons, so an informed person could know when to enter them for their correct destination. 

By the way, when you have the funds available, buy a sextant and use it to see what the moons are doing. 

May the eight Virtues protect thee, young sir.

p.s. I send you this scroll about the virtues, should you desire to know more about them. 
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/the-virtues/

p.s.s. Please tip the deliverer, I was short on coin.  

Cat and I thank thee.  Btw, do I need to feed my pets?

Well if you are going to be a tamer and it s pet you want to keep/Bond .. then yes ..

If you tame an aggresive mob and want to fight with it , i would reccomend it as it it will break and attack you possibly if not fed ..
    Ancient_Exile
    Scorchien said:
    So, I just stopped by the Inn in New Haven to grab a bite to eat.  After savoring my meal, I went upstairs, then noticed that a dog had followed me.  Curious, I attempted to tame the dog.  Turned out to be easier than I thought.  Subsequently, I changed the dog's name to Cat.  And now I am resting in one of the Inn's upper rooms with my new found best friend.  Soon I may undertake a perilous journey through the Moongate in order to locate West Britannia, wherein I have been informed a Jeweler resides.  For I have many pieces of jewelry which I previously looted from rather fashionable Skeletons and Zombies.  Unfortunately, even my magic map has not enabled me to locate a Jeweler in New Haven.  And so, I have determined to make the Dangerous Journey to another city.  For the first time.  Thankfully, I still have my divine protection which prevents monsters and beasts from initiating combat with me.  So I might just make it to West Britannia without being torn apart or otherwise mutilated beyond recognition.

get in the moongate have Trammel , Brittania selected , follow road NE till you cross a bridge .. you will runinto the W Brit bank , right next to it sits the Jewelry shop

I arrived in Britannia safely.  There I was able to sell my numerous rings, bracelets, and necklaces for the great sum of 147 Gold Pieces.  Although I previously paid 4500 Gold Pieces for 100 Crossbow Bolts.  I'm not sure, but I feel like I'm being cheated somehow.  Either Gold is not worth as I would think it should be, or all these merchants are unscrupulous rogues, thieves, and/or highwaymen.

if you are going to be an archer make your own bolts , or make an alt , when you are established later you can turn Fletching down and redirect those points into a skill you need them ....

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Scorchien said:
    Ahh, how things have changed, my friend. 
    Such protections were not available when I was a youth in those lands. 
    In those foul days, the Moongates were often surrounded by killers of all kinds. On your journ, for example, if you were to be fortunate enough not to be hunted by humanity's foul sorts, you would certainly have been swallowed whole by a giant serpent. 

Also, back in my early adventure days, getting to where you wanted to go, through a Moongate, was a tricky thing. 
    They alternated destinations, and you had no control. They scrolled through the destinations like an age'ed monk reading a list very, very, slowly. But their order never changed, and they were based on the moons, so an informed person could know when to enter them for their correct destination. 

By the way, when you have the funds available, buy a sextant and use it to see what the moons are doing. 

May the eight Virtues protect thee, young sir.

p.s. I send you this scroll about the virtues, should you desire to know more about them. 
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/the-virtues/

p.s.s. Please tip the deliverer, I was short on coin.  

Cat and I thank thee.  Btw, do I need to feed my pets?

Well if you are going to be a tamer and it s pet you want to keep/Bond .. then yes ..

If you tame an aggresive mob and want to fight with it , i would reccomend it as it it will break and attack you possibly if not fed ..
    Aye, what he hath said. 
    They also need to feel loyal if you want them to follow orders. 
    It was always best practice to feed them and also issue commands to see if they are in the spirit of following your orders. 
    They are more hesitant to attack when ordered than they are to "stay", if I recall rightly. 
    But it's not usually an issue if you feed them once in a while. 

Dragons, many years ago when they were first tamed, were terrible at being tamed. Their masters had to feed them constantly. But Tamers since then have mastered the art, and they are not so terrible at being loyal as then. 
    Ancient_Exile

Once upon a time....

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

get in the moongate have Trammel , Brittania selected , follow road NE till you cross a bridge .. you will runinto the W Brit bank , right next to it sits the Jewelry shop

I arrived in Britannia safely.  There I was able to sell my numerous rings, bracelets, and necklaces for the great sum of 147 Gold Pieces.  Although I previously paid 4500 Gold Pieces for 100 Crossbow Bolts.  I'm not sure, but I feel like I'm being cheated somehow.  Either Gold is not worth as I would think it should be, or all these merchants are unscrupulous rogues, thieves, and/or highwaymen.

if you are going to be an archer make your own bolts , or make an alt , when you are established later you can turn Fletching down and redirect those points into a skill you need them ....

As a Paladin of Noble Birth and Esteemed Lineage, I consider it beneath my station to take up a common trade.  (Except for Lumberjacking and perhaps lighting campfires.  But that's just so I can practice my skill with an axe and increase my already formidable strength.)

EDIT:  Also, I'm not going to be an archer.  Just thought I should have some skill with the bow.  Could be useful at times.
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

As a Paladin of Noble Birth and Esteemed Lineage, I consider it beneath my station to take up a common trade.  (Except for Lumberjacking and perhaps lighting campfires.  But that's just so I can practice my skill with an axe and increase my already formidable strength.)

If you are going to play seriously when you get your house you will need some lets say Vassals( alts) to support your crusades..

A Fletcher ,  A Blacksmith, A MAge/Inscription/ a Cook , An Alchemist ..

Now you may not need all of those and you can combine them ..

I have a GM Alchy with GM inscription, and GM cooking .. she never leaves the house ( well she does recall to town to W Brit to grab Bods each day .. thats it )

Another that is a Fletcher/Blacksmith

and another that is just a Tailor
    Ancient_Exile
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

If you are going to play seriously when you get your house you will need some lets say Vassals( alts) to support your crusades..

I have a GM Alchy with GM inscription, and GM cooking .. she never leaves the house

I see.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  I shall certainly take it into consideration.

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

EDIT:  Also, I'm not going to be an archer.  Just thought I should have some skill with the bow.  Could be useful at times.

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I have a GM Alchy with GM inscription, and GM cooking .. she never leaves the house

I see.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge.  I shall certainly take it into consideration.

handy for a bit for a sword , but eventually you will have to drop ,
    edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:

Aye, you have to be careful in dealing with merchants. But truthfully, I do not know if that price is honest, for it has been many years since I traveled the lands. 

a player can make those bolts really fast for free, even a brand new player that did not train ..

Train Lumberjacking 350 gold ..

Train Fletching 350 gold

Buy Fletching Kit 12 gold

Buy axe 35 gold

Chop Trees Free 2 minutes

Kill birds for feathers .. 10 minutes max

Fletch 5 seconds ..

So under 800 gold first time .. after that they are free to make .. all you want  up to 100 uses on fletching kit

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Aye, you have to be careful in dealing with merchants. But truthfully, I do not know if that price is honest, for it has been many years since I traveled the lands. 

a player can make those bolts really fast for free, even a brand new player that did not train ..

Train Fletching 350 gold

Buy axe 35 gold

Fletch 5 seconds ..

So under 800 gold first time .. after that they are free to make .. all you want  up to 100 uses on fletching kit

Thanks for the refresher. 

Once upon a time....

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Train Fletching 350 gold

Buy axe 35 gold

Fletch 5 seconds ..

I'll have to drop Archery?  Why?

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Train Fletching 350 gold

Buy axe 35 gold

Fletch 5 seconds ..

If you want to be a swordsman you will have to when its time to 7x

you can only max 7 skills ..

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

you could go many ways here Lumberjackiing or Armslore

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

120 Parrying or 100 Lumberjacking and 120 Tactics\

You just wont use the archery if you want to sword and those points could be much better used elsewhere

Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

You just wont use the archery if you want to sword and those points could be much better used elsewhere

Do I have to learn Bushido?  I'm not a Samurai.  Seems kinda weird.  Also, what brought the Ninja and Samurai to Britannia?  Did someone kidnap their Empress and bring her to Skara Brae?

Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

Do I have to learn Bushido?  I'm not a Samurai.  Seems kinda weird.  Also, what brought the Ninja and Samurai to Britannia?  Did someone kidnap their Empress and bring her to Skara Brae?

Bushido is a real nice skill to go with sword

6th expansion was Samurai Empire
    edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

Okay.  Well, as long as there are Samurai in Britannia, I guess I could take advantage of it.  Anyway, was it ever explained why the Ninja & Samurai arrived in Britannia?

(Anyway, I only just started training Archery a bit.  So you're saying I should cease and desist and just sell all my bows & arrows?)

Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

Okay.  Well, as long as there are Samurai in Britannia, I guess I could take advantage of it.  Anyway, was it ever explained why the Ninja & Samurai arrived in Britannia?

(Anyway, I only just started training Archery a bit.  So you're saying I should cease and desist and just sell all my bows & arrows?)

no you can keep it for a while if you like , but the time will come when you need those points elswhere

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

no you can keep it for a while if you like , but the time will come when you need those points elswhere

Understood.  But if I'm gonna drop it later anyway, no point in continuing to train the skill.
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I've played UO a bit lately.  I have to say that I'd rather play UO than FFXIV, GW2, BDO, WoW, DDO, or any number of newer MMORPGs.  Not totally sure about ESO as I haven't really played it much yet.

lol yeah ESO is just more of the same...You aren't missing anything there.
    Ancient_Exile
    edited May 2020
    I've played UO a bit lately.  I have to say that I'd rather play UO than FFXIV, GW2, BDO, WoW, DDO, or any number of newer MMORPGs.  Not totally sure about ESO as I haven't really played it much yet.

lol yeah ESO is just more of the same...You aren't missing anything there.

That's what I thought.  How much did you play ESO before deciding it wasn't worth your time?
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on

Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

They had a new expansion, along with a GM events, that opened a new land (continent or large island) that was oriental themed. 
    So, more or less, yes. 

Once upon a time....

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

Doesn't Healing, along with Anatomy, allow you to disarm your oponent? 
    If so, does that work out as an option?

Edit...ooops, I see you have healing and anatomy in your list. 

Once upon a time....

Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

They had a new expansion, along with a GM events, that opened a new land (continent or large island) that was oriental themed. 
    So, more or less, yes. 

So they never explained where they came from or why they were there?  A new land nearby (like really close to a land based on Medieval Europe) just happened to be based on the Japanese?  Okay then.

I guess just because Ninjas & Samurais = Cool.

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

Doesn't Healing, along with Anatomy, allow you to disarm your oponent? 
    If so, does that work out as an option?

Edit...ooops, I see you have healing and anatomy in your list. 

I have to use Bandages to train Healing, right?

Drelgor the Impaler killed my dog while I was AFK.

:'(

Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

So, more or less, yes. 

So they never explained where they came from or why they were there?  A new land nearby (like really close to a land based on Medieval Europe) just happened to be based on the Japanese?  Okay then.

I don't think you can sail there. You have to use a Moongate. Then mark runestones to recall or gate. 
    I think in the fiction that it's actually another shard. But I don't recall for sure. 

Once upon a time....

Scorchien said:

so for ex

Sword
      Tactics
      Parry
      Anatomy
      Healing
      Bushido
       Magic Resist

120 Swordsmanship

100 Tactics

100 Anatomy

100 Magic Resistance

80 Chivalry

100 Healing

So, more or less, yes. 

I don't think you can sail there. You have to use a Moongate. Then mark runestones to recall or gate. 
    I think in the fiction that it's actually another shard. But I don't recall for sure. 

Alright.  That makes more sense.