Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UO vs EQ

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    UO definitely was not for the average gamer, it was for the hardcore....That sent the rest of us reeling for another game and luckily a couple came along within the next couple of years after UO released.
    Yah, and that is what made EQ pretty much the Grandfather of Modern MMO's. 

If UO's population and systems had not been as bad as it was.. it might have been the trendsetter.. but Evolution is about survival of the fittest, and EQ crushed UO as far as success went, which is what set the trend for MMO's in that direction.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This thread will be divided as it always is on this topic. I will say this, people who loved EQ1 rarely like UO. On the other hand, people who have loved OU have played EQ1 and loved it. IMO that says something. Both are great games but UO can be a bit backwards in places and other things seem way out of date. I tried the game and could not get into it. EQ1 is dated as well but seems to fare better to the test of time. Myself, if I wanted to go old school, I would go back to EQ1 and have about a dozen times over the past 22 years.  
    AlBQuirky
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    edited May 2020
    Nanfoodle said:
    This thread will be divided as it always is on this topic. I will say this, people who loved EQ1 rarely like UO. On the other hand, people who have loved OU have played EQ1 and loved it. IMO that says something. Both are great games but UO can be a bit backwards in places and other things seem way out of date. I tried the game and could not get into it. EQ1 is dated as well but seems to fare better to the test of time. Myself, if I wanted to go old school, I would go back to EQ1 and have about a dozen times over the past 22 years.  

Well, for one thing, UO isn't 3D.  Also, the combat system is a lot different in EQ compared to UO.
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

Nanfoodle said:
    I would not play UO today for the same reasons why I didn't play back in the day it launched, I didn't like the Graphics. That Overhead Iso view, just did not work for me for an MMO. Apparently I was not alone.
    Ancient_ExileAlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Ungood said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    I would not play UO today for the same reasons why I didn't play back in the day it launched, I didn't like the Graphics. That Overhead Iso view, just did not work for me for an MMO. Apparently I was not alone.
    You're actually comparing UO and EQ graphics? 
    EQ's looked like a kindergartener's water paints. And the animations were terrible. 
    Of course the 3D aspect was enticing, I suppose. Not enough to overcome the huge Power Gap and game play problems, though. 
    But then, "Rampant PKers." 

Ancient_Exile

Once upon a time....

Ungood said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    EQ's looked like a kindergartener's water paints. And the animations were terrible. 
    Of course the 3D aspect was enticing, I suppose. Not enough to overcome the huge Power Gap and game play problems, though. 

Really, it's that Overhead Iso view, I mean, it worked in games like Dawn of War and Warcraft, because I was controlling armies, so it was helpful from a strategic view, but I could not stand it in games like Diablo, so, seeing UO with the same kind of Iso view that Diablo has, it was an instant hard pass, since at the time I was playing a MUD, Gemstone IV, which had open world PvP and Perma Death, that aspect of the game was not what even influenced my decision.  Looking back now, I am happy I had given that game a hard pass.

EQ's 3D world effect, gave the feeling of being IN the world, which is I wager one of the major aspects of EQ's success and why so many other MMO's copied that system, and for it's era, EQ's graphics were on par to everything else out there, there was no feeling of a step down.
    Ancient_Exile

edited May 2020
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Really, it's that Overhead Iso view, I mean, it worked in games like Dawn of War and Warcraft, because I was controlling armies, so it was helpful from a strategic view, but I could not stand it in games like Diablo, so, seeing UO with the same kind of Iso view that Diablo has, it was an instant hard pass, since at the time I was playing a MUD, Gemstone IV, which had open world PvP and Perma Death, that aspect of the game was not what even influenced my decision.  Looking back now, I am happy I had given that game a hard pass.

EQ's 3D world effect, gave the feeling of being IN the world, which is I wager one of the major aspects of EQ's success and why so many other MMO's copied that system, and for it's era, EQ's graphics were on par to everything else out there, there was no feeling of a step down.

I was invited to play a UO shard way back in c.2008.  I did download it, and I did create a character, but for some reason I just didn't feel like playing it at the time.
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

Ungood said:
    Ungood said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I was invited to play a UO shard way back in c. 2007/2008.  I did download it, and I did create a character, but for some reason I just didn't feel like playing it at the time.
    Honestly, the real thing about UO was always the potential. It was a very early game, and if I remember right EQ had started production a year before UO started making what they made. But that was because UO changed up to what they made, I believe. 

You have to understand that the race to be the first (truly massive MMORPG) was on. 
    I think there were other companies in the race too, but they backed out when they realized they were well behind both UO and EQ. 

Have to give EQ credit for being a successful 3D game. That was a real accomplishment. 

But back to UO, because it was so early, there were lots of things that never worked out. Such as the idea of Dragons getting hungry and attacking towns, if the deer population was hunted out. All of that realism stuff got shelved because players just ran over the world killing everything. No one knew how successful an MMO was going to be. 
    Ancient_Exile

Once upon a time....

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I felt like UO had better systems and EQ had better lore. I'd be happy with combination of the two.

I think Archage is probably the closest game to that.  It has flaws as well like not enough building land and power gaps.
    AmarantharAncient_Exile
    I've played UO a bit lately.  I have to say that I'd rather play UO than FFXIV, GW2, BDO, WoW, DDO, or any number of newer MMORPGs.  Not totally sure about ESO as I haven't really played it much yet.
    Scorchien

edited May 2020
    I've played UO a bit lately.  I have to say that I'd rather play UO than FFXIV, GW2, BDO, WoW, DDO, or any number of newer MMORPGs.  Not totally sure about ESO as I haven't really played it much yet.
    Gonna be honest, after playing games like EQ, DDO, GW2, and the like, the idea that others players can't screw up my game time, has made playing far more relaxing and enjoyable that it would take some amazing boner inspiring next gen shit, to get me to return to putting up with pool shitting asswipes being able to screw up my whole game experience for the LuLz of it with their antics and actions 

No joke, that would need to be some seriously epic level next gen gaming shit for me to even think of letting someone else fuck with my game time.
    Gabriel-Knight

If I went back to any MMORPG, it would be UO. But I have no plans for this year, at least. I'm way too busy and shouldn't even be here. 
    But the activity here has increased in ways I like so I can't resist these forums, for now anyways. 

Once upon a time....

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2020

23 years later UO is still the best MMORPG and virtual world with more ativities for players than any other game ..

You are just scratching the surface ..

BTW did you roll on Atlantic .. if so when you save enough gold for a house let me know if you have trouble finding a spot .. i have a few marked ..
    Ancient_Exile
    Ungood said:
    Gonna be honest, after playing games like EQ, DDO, GW2, and the like, the idea that others players can't screw up my game time, has made playing far more relaxing and enjoyable that it would take some amazing boner inspiring next gen shit, to get me to return to putting up with pool shitting asswipes being able to screw up my whole game experience for the LuLz of it with their antics and actions 

No joke, that would need to be some seriously epic level next gen gaming shit for me to even think of letting someone else fuck with my game time.

You know you can play UO and stay In Trammel ...
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:

Nahh, if I was gonna kick it Old School, I'd go back to EQ, for all the same reasons why I bypassed UO and played EQ the first time around.

Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:

Nahh, if I was gonna kick it Old School, I'd go back to EQ, for all the same reasons why I bypassed UO and played EQ the first time around.

completely different kind of games , in sooo many ways , almost a differnet genre tbh ..

One reason why i said early in this thread there is no VS .. apples and oranges ..

Both should be experienced by any MMO fan imo
    Scorchien said:

23 years later UO is still the best MMORPG and virtual world with more ativities for players than any other game ..

You are just scratching the surface ..

BTW did you roll on Atlantic .. if so when you save enough gold for a house let me know if you have trouble finding a spot .. i have a few marked ..

Yes, I rolled on Atlantic.  And cool.  I'll send you a message if and when I get to that point.  Thanks.

edited May 2020
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:

completely different kind of games , in sooo many ways , almost a differnet genre tbh ..

One reason why i said early in this thread there is no VS .. apples and oranges ..

I didn't like the Iso gameplay of Diablo 1, when I played it, so I felt that if that was how I was going to have to deal with UO, Hard Pass. Just, didn't like that game style.

However, in my defence, after playing games like Dawn of War, DoWII, I did opt to give Runescape a try, just to see if the Iso style play was doable for me. It was not.

I have no regrets not playing UO, as I never would have enjoyed that kind of gameplay, regardless of all other factors and mechanics.

Much like how some of my friends, while admitted Trove was a great game, they could not get past the Voxel Graphics, and were simply not enjoying playing the game due to the graphics of it, even if they wished other games had similar to the same mechanics.
    ScorchienAlBQuirky

edited May 2020
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:

I didn't like the Iso gameplay of Diablo 1, when I played it, so I felt that if that was how I was going to have to deal with UO, Hard Pass. Just, didn't like that game style.

However, in my defence, after playing games like Dawn of War, DoWII, I did opt to give Runescape a try, just to see if the Iso style play was doable for me. It was not.

I have no regrets not playing UO, as I never would have enjoyed that kind of gameplay, regardless of all other factors and mechanics.

Much like how some of my friends, while admitted Trove was a great game, they could not get past the Voxel Graphics, and were simply not enjoying playing the game due to the graphics of it, even if they wished other games had similar to the same mechanics.

Fair enuff, and i definitely can agree with the Trove comparison , i cannot stand looking at that game but enjoy other similar games
    Ungood
    edited May 2020
    So, I just stopped by the Inn in New Haven to grab a bite to eat.  After savoring my meal, I went upstairs, then noticed that a dog had followed me.  Curious, I attempted to tame the dog.  Turned out to be easier than I thought.  Subsequently, I changed the dog's name to Cat.  And now I am resting in one of the Inn's upper rooms with my new found best friend.  Soon I may undertake a perilous journey through the Moongate in order to locate West Britannia, wherein I have been informed a Jeweler resides.  For I have many pieces of jewelry which I previously looted from rather fashionable Skeletons and Zombies.  Unfortunately, even my magic map has not enabled me to locate a Jeweler in New Haven.  And so, I have determined to make the Dangerous Journey to another city.  For the first time.  Thankfully, I still have my divine protection which prevents monsters and beasts from initiating combat with me.  So I might just make it to West Britannia without being torn apart or otherwise mutilated beyond recognition.

So, I just stopped by the Inn in New Haven to grab a bite to eat.  After savoring my meal, I went upstairs, then noticed that a dog had followed me.  Curious, I attempted to tame the dog.  Turned out to be easier than I thought.  Subsequently, I changed the dog's name to Cat.  And now I am resting in one of the Inn's upper rooms with my new found best friend.  Soon I may undertake a perilous journey through the Moongate in order to locate West Britannia, wherein I have been informed a Jeweler resides.  For I have many pieces of jewelry which I previously looted from rather fashionable Skeletons and Zombies.  Unfortunately, even my magic map has not enabled me to locate a Jeweler in New Haven.  And so, I have determined to make the Dangerous Journey to another city.  For the first time.  Thankfully, I still have my divine protection which prevents monsters and beasts from initiating combat with me.  So I might just make it to West Britannia without being torn apart or otherwise mutilated beyond recognition.

get in the moongate have Trammel , Brittania selected , follow road NE till you cross a bridge .. you will runinto the W Brit bank , right next to it sits the Jewelry shop
    Ancient_Exile
    Ahh, how things have changed, my friend. 
    Such protections were not available when I was a youth in those lands. 
    In those foul days, the Moongates were often surrounded by killers of all kinds. On your journ, for example, if you were to be fortunate enough not to be hunted by humanity's foul sorts, you would certainly have been swallowed whole by a giant serpent. 

Also, back in my early adventure days, getting to where you wanted to go, through a Moongate, was a tricky thing. 
    They alternated destinations, and you had no control. They scrolled through the destinations like an age'ed monk reading a list very, very, slowly. But their order never changed, and they were based on the moons, so an informed person could know when to enter them for their correct destination. 

By the way, when you have the funds available, buy a sextant and use it to see what the moons are doing. 

May the eight Virtues protect thee, young sir.

p.s. I send you this scroll about the virtues, should you desire to know more about them. 
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/the-virtues/

p.s.s. Please tip the deliverer, I was short on coin.  
    Ancient_Exile

Once upon a time....

Scorchien said:

get in the moongate have Trammel , Brittania selected , follow road NE till you cross a bridge .. you will runinto the W Brit bank , right next to it sits the Jewelry shop

I arrived in Britannia safely.  There I was able to sell my numerous rings, bracelets, and necklaces for the great sum of 147 Gold Pieces.  Although I previously paid 4500 Gold Pieces for 100 Crossbow Bolts.  I'm not sure, but I feel like I'm being cheated somehow.  Either Gold is not worth as I would think it should be, or all these merchants are unscrupulous rogues, thieves, and/or highwaymen.
    AlBQuirky

Ahh, how things have changed, my friend. 
    Such protections were not available when I was a youth in those lands. 
    In those foul days, the Moongates were often surrounded by killers of all kinds. On your journ, for example, if you were to be fortunate enough not to be hunted by humanity's foul sorts, you would certainly have been swallowed whole by a giant serpent. 

Also, back in my early adventure days, getting to where you wanted to go, through a Moongate, was a tricky thing. 
    They alternated destinations, and you had no control. They scrolled through the destinations like an age'ed monk reading a list very, very, slowly. But their order never changed, and they were based on the moons, so an informed person could know when to enter them for their correct destination. 

By the way, when you have the funds available, buy a sextant and use it to see what the moons are doing. 

May the eight Virtues protect thee, young sir.

p.s. I send you this scroll about the virtues, should you desire to know more about them. 
    https://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/gameplay/the-virtues/

p.s.s. Please tip the deliverer, I was short on coin.  

Cat and I thank thee.  Btw, do I need to feed my pets?

Scorchien said:

I arrived in Britannia safely.  There I was able to sell my numerous rings, bracelets, and necklaces for the great sum of 147 Gold Pieces.  Although I previously paid 4500 Gold Pieces for 100 Crossbow Bolts.  I'm not sure, but I feel like I'm being cheated somehow.  Either Gold is not worth as I would think it should be, or all these merchants are unscrupulous rogues, thieves, and/or highwaymen.
    Aye, you have to be careful in dealing with merchants. But truthfully, I do not know if that price is honest, for it has been many years since I traveled the lands. 

Once upon a time....