Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I bought FFXI about 2 weeks ago

OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
I bought Final Fantasy XI The Vana'diel Collection about two weeks ago for $20. Got a free buddy pass that was good for 30 days of basic (no expansion) game play.

A buddy of mine and I played the game for the past 2 weeks. Love the game. Hate the interface and community.

It's freaking impossible to get use to the ignorant console-like interface. Sure, PS2 people have to put up with a crappy interface but why make PC people suffer? And the menu hell! Oh My God!

I'M STUCK IN A MENU AND CAN'T GET OUT!!111!!1

It's kind of cool that Japanese and Americans get to play on the same servers. Until you try to talk to someone who doesn't speak your language using nothing other than the in-game translator.

MY BAG IS FULL! STOP TRYING TO GIVE ME YOUR EXTRA EGGS!

What the heck is up with making us delete and recreate a thousand freaking times until we were able to end up on the same server?

And graphics? Hello? I had to edit my registry to make it look half way decent on my PC. Not cool.

Needless to say I've uninstalled.

I learned a $20 lesson.

Comments

• SektanSektan Member Posts: 11

i think your "deep" analisys got some mistakes.

for example, about character creation, yes, the character ends up in a random server. But it has a reason to happen. In the truth this is the best system I saw to avoid server preference. And you your character runs in a server that you don't want, you are able to move him to another server. How? Using World-passes (aka WP's) that can be bought in shops (in-game). You also can claim your in your forum community or friends. WPs offer a code that can be used 5 times. Not complex!

About menus, yes I have to say that the interface do not helps at all. Buy try to play Everquest 2, KnightOnline, Lineage 2 and you'll suffer the same problem. It seems to be a generic system for these games. Only WoW evades this problem offering polished menus. But FFXI menus its no longer a problem since you know how to use them.

Man about the GFX, i think it is OK! Well, do you have a PC with the recommended configurations? Actually its the mmo that offer one of the best texture/resolution system. Here I run it with no problems.

About community: everyone who play mmorpg's should know that it is the most relative aspect in a online game. Sometimes they could be great and sometimes they could be boring. About language: if you won't talk to japanese citizens, just don't do it. Friends we can select .. Relative. 

Yours, SEKTAN.

• ZhanghiaZhanghia Member UncommonPosts: 1,312
    Also, to add a point to Sektan. You don't have to use just menus. They've made menus which is extremely deep that Sony added and that no other game (to my knowledge) has them without modifications to the base program (ergo mods and skins) except maybe EverQuest (big maybe).
  • OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    You have to edit the registry to make FFXI look good on a PC. If you adjust the video settings through the game then the best you can get is a grainy TV-like image that lacks anti-aliasing.

FFXI's interface is terrible. Other games may have terrible interfaces, too. FFXI has the second worst interface of all the games that I've ever tried. (Grats to ShadowBane for coming in first!)

FFXI feels like a console game. That's a bad thing. The rest of the game may be great but the interface is terrible and was enough to make me stop playing. That's a bad thing, too.

My bag is full. I don't want your extra (eggs).

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

does that make me a bad player because I never learned the interface as well and I cancelled?

Does that make me an angry person when I wanted to give it a second try I found out I was charged a re-start up fee on top of the monthly fee. I was ok with making a new character because they deleted my old ones.

Does Square care that I really wanted to get into a Final Fantasy game, and I still think Tarutaru are simply one of the top3 Races of any to play in any MMO, but I cancelled twice because I could not play the game smoothly and I went to play others?

Blizzard please buy the rights to Tarutaru and Mithra and I'll luv you forever. :)

• wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

were you using an analog controller or the KB&M? FFXI is to be played with an analog stick.

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    I have seen the complaints about the interface so many times now. I don't get it at all! What is bad about the Interface? I agree, it is different, but it's so much better if you learn how to use it.

Ok, there is no on screen interface madness with hundreds of buttons, neat icons, flashy graphics and tons of widgets. I like it that way, cause i want to see the game, not the interface.

I NEVER use the mouse, why should i? I very rarely use the Menus, why would i?

You can do everything with both hands at the keyboard sitting back relaxed in your chair. No need for twitchi mouse selecting and frenetic clicking. Awesome! This game has no interface and i love it.

I think most of you have not read the documentation and don't know what they are missing. So i give you some tips.

Don't use COMPACT KEYBOARD. This is not a 3D shooter where you need your right hand for the mouse and walk with your left hand!!!

Use the Num Pad for walking, zooming, resting etc. Use the cursor/arrow keys to move the camera (harldy ever needed).

F1-F6 to select Party Members
    F8 to select nearest NPC or Monster
    TAB to cycle through targets
    Uset the Macros for your most used spells, abilities, weaponskills etc. (alt-1 to alt-0 and ctrl-1 to ctrl-0)
    Alt-A to attack
    Alt-C to check target
    Alt-M Magic menu (for the non macro ones)
    Alt-W Weaponskills (for the non macro ones)
    ...and many more.

Please don't say it has a crappy interface unless you took the time to really try it and know what you can do. It does take time to setup to your needs and it is highly customizable. Macros are complex and very usefull but take time to set up.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"