Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World Talks PvP Wars And PvE Invasions In New Dev Diary

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageNew World Talks PvP Wars And PvE Invasions In New Dev Diary

Amazon's New World is humming along towards its new August release date, and the developer has recently put out a new developer diary, this time all about wars and invasions.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Looks interesting, though I wish there was less flashy spell effects.
    sakinol
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555

Asheram said:

Some games let you turn that stuff down (most notably FFXIV for me), so I hope that New World offers that as well.
    Quicksand
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited May 2020
    Gatling guns, bows, cannons, hammers, oh and “The Big Horn”.

Man these guys sure have a solid vision. PvP all day to pvp maybe if/when once a week or so.

Simply F’n incredibly.
    Post edited by bcbully on
    Iselinsakinol
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348

Asheram said:

Yeah, most modern MMO's have options to adjust how much you see of other players effects. Personally I love all the flash (although FFXIV can get a little too flash).
    Pirraya
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    "new level of social dynamism that no other game has" is the most laughable part of the entire video

Yeah that was funny. It reminded me of someone's signature around here, I forget whose with a quote from mortal online bragging about sending out the beta client on disk and how no one had ever done that before. LMAO.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

I find it more enjoyable than getting ganked by zerg kill all on site rob and destroy all my stuff kids with only way to avoid that being join megaclan be megaslave farmer.
    Pirraya[Deleted User][Deleted User]TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]GatsuZerksakinol
    Asheram said:
    I find it more enjoyable than getting ganked by zerg kill all on site rob and destroy all my stuff kids with only way to avoid that being join megaclan be megaslave farmer.
    That's a pretty low bar though. It's better than when it was going to be OWPvP but not by much. Timed... instanced... scheduled... and that's the best they've got?

Who knows maybe the kids will like it.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2020
    Iselin said:
    Asheram said:
    That's a pretty low bar though. It's better than when it was going to be OWPvP but not by much. Timed... instanced... scheduled... and that's the best they've got?

Well maybe if theres a good population they can introduce pvp server? I am finding the pve similar to mmo pve stuff so I am going to buy it.

And I think its the "kids" that like the toxic survival/open world zergankvp playstyles.
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]sakinol
    edited April 2020
    Asheram said:
    Iselin said:
    Asheram said:

Well maybe if theres a good population they can introduce pvp server? I am finding the pve similar to mmo pve stuff so I am going to buy it.

And I think its the "kids" that like the toxic survival/open world zergankvp playstyles.
    I don't want a PvP server, I want a 24/7 PvP zone with good objectives and reasons to be there.

Honestly IDK who plays survival games, I don't. I do know that kids have no problem with instanced short matches in games like LOL and Fortnite. 1 Hour would be long for them and too short for me :)
    [Deleted User]AsheramYashaXRaapnaapsakinolNanfoodle

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The invasions sound a little (just a bit) like ring wars in eq, where a whole zone full of players battled a large number of NPCs. Of course, back then, the battle was more with your isp and graphics card, as all that action produced crash after crash.
    Asheramsakinol

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Iselin said:
    Asheram said:
    Iselin said:
    Asheram said:

I don't want a PvP server, I want a 24/7 PvP zone with good objectives and reasons to be there.

Honestly IDK who plays survival games, I don't. I do know that kids have no problem with instanced short matches in games like LOL and Fortnite. 1 Hour would be long for them and too short for me :)
    I must be that type of kid then lol, my pvp fix is my csgo type 7 minute tdm/battle mode rounds in Mount & Blade Warband/Bannerlord mp. So yeah the pvp here probably wont keep my attention but I am enjoying the world.

Fallen Earth had those pvp zones too bad that shutdown.
    Amathe said:
    The invasions sound a little (just a bit) like ring wars in eq, where a whole zone full of players battled a large number of NPCs. Of course, back then, the battle was more with your isp and graphics card, as all that action produced crash after crash.
    lol the isp, graphics card crash comment made me think of the big scheduled seiges in Age of Conan with all of the flashy different spell animations all popping everywhere.
    Amathe
    Amathe said:
    In Dark Age of Camelot we counted seconds per frame not frames per second.
    AmatheAsheramTacticalZombehoriya9seraphis79sakinolinfomatz[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    What I found surprising was the lack of the term "factions" not used once and instead focusing on "company v company", where's this new direction worth delaying the game. What is going on over there....it's not company v company it's a few members of a company who have to deal with rng team mates and vanguard selections.
    IselinYashaXbcbully
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    edited April 2020
    I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy more structured PvP than the kill on sight that so many other PvP games turn into. That just seems boring and pointless to me.

Having a system that can have both PvE and PvP is just so difficult without one ruining the other I feel. This seems like a decent compromise.

I love horde defense type scenarios in games, so the invasion sounds like a ton of fun.
    TacticalZombehbcbully[Deleted User]
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    I can't wait for this game to be released.  I'm so excited. :|
    defroststar[Deleted User]
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

sschrupp said:

I love horde defense type scenarios in games, so the invasion sounds like a ton of fun.
    If you get selected. Once per day. 40 players chosen randomly from those who signed up the day before + 10 that the guild leader selects.
    YashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684

Iselin said:

sschrupp said:

If you get selected. Once per day. 40 players chosen randomly from those who signed up the day before + 10 that the guild leader selects.

Hmm... that sounds a bit less awesome. Will have to see how that works out in practice with a larger population of players.
    SkitzoXX said:
    Iselin said:
    sschrupp said:

Not sure where your getting once per day but that’s not the case. 

And it’s the same scripted event every time. Fun a couple times but yeah not long term.
    So it's not every day? I'm getting the info from the invasion preview article on their page that talks about signing up the day before an invasion. I just assumed from that it's daily.

I know that the 50 v. 50 PvP events are not. That's on a date and time agreed to by the two sides.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430

Iselin said:

sschrupp said:

I've seen that, but it doesn't seem different than a typical raid in an MMO where you can only take (back in the day) 40 people and either the guild leadership or DKP often determined who could go, along with "Main" Tanks/Healers/CC'rs.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Iselin said:

Amathe said:

In Dark Age of Camelot we counted seconds per frame not frames per second.

Ah so that's where the ESO devs got the idea from!
    IselinbcbullyKyleran
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If this 50vs50 territorial battle royale is the pinnacle of the pvp for this game what will the pinnacle for pve be? surely not the heavily scripted invasions of the fort we saw in the video?

At first glance when watching this video I got a feeling they were copying WAR castle sieges but instanced... Then watching it a 2nd time got a serious Ashes of Creation Battle Royale vibe.

Someone on here a while ago said as a joke "They are probably turning it into a Battle Royale game" and now I think they were in a sense partially right.

Look at the chain of events...

4 years of development - "This is an open world full loot pvp MMO game"
    4.5 years of development - "This is now a PVE game with limited PVP" You know what other game said this? H1Z1. the battle royale was one part of the game that was 200x more popular than the limited pve part and where most of the income for that game can from.

The "now this is a PVE game" for New World was the friggin distraction to keep the fans fighting each other while they carefully change the entire game into some instanced territory control battle royale type game. Just like someone else in this thread said "where are the factions?" Yeah I wanna know the answer to that too cause this just looks nothing like an open world MMO with factions and PVE. The guilt in every single one of the dev's eyes says it all about the huge overall change in direction. Where are the PVE encounters in the OPEN WORLD?!? Show the progression system if there is any if the game is actually an MMO too cause in that video everyone looks almost exactly the same just like in other battle royale games... Maybe they are going to lock in a new genre...
    "Guild Royale" "Territory Royale" "Siege Royale"

Battle royal definition is - a fight participated in by more than two combatants; especially : one in which the last fighter in the ring or the last fighter standing is declared the winner.

^ this definition is essentially how every castle siege will end because if there's one opponent standing on the flag node it won't cap, right? This game is now a friggin BR folks...

Video at 2 minutes "New level of social dynamism that no other game has".
    If they believe these words and they believe they have something so different why would they even bother creating that PVE content like in those 'classic' games? They are clearly mining for gold trying to scramble and come up with some new type of hit game with the ashes of the now obviously abandoned MMO...

The people wanting PVE in this game got screwed and the people wanting open world PVP got screwed cause now everyone is getting another damn Battle Royale...

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Rhoklaw said:
    What I find interesting is the amount of people that hate or dislike this game leave more comments than those of us who are looking forward to it. I guess bitching about something once in a thread isn't enough. They need to bitch about same shit 10x in every thread.

Anyhow, innovation isn't exactly a strong suit of any game development company lately, so it's nice to see a game that at least utilizes some of the mechanics of other games I enjoyed, such as DAoC, Rift and Conan Exiles.

I have to agree with @Asheram about the "kids" enjoying toxic OWPvP gankfest. Which is totally fine with me and one of the main reasons I avoid those games.
    I think the issue for a lot of people is not that they dropped owpvp, but that it seems they haven't replaced it with anything interesting. Even more concerning is what they are describing as the "pinnacle" of both pvp and pve content seems quite weak. 

Looking at the pvp for example, I am dubious of how compelling these 50 vs 50 fort raids are going to be. ESO already provides that kind of content almost 24/7 , and seems to do it a lot better judging by NWs promo videos.

The pve raids look kind of fun to me, but a lot will depend on the implementation. It seems like its going to be very constrictive and limiting in terms of when you can play and who you can play with based on the information released to date, but hopefully it will be a lot more dynamic than it sounds on paper.
    BruceYee
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited May 2020
    Full of holes this game so far, lets look at a real terrible one.

There's 1k people per server and the 'pinnacle' of pvp is 50v50 timed by 1 hour per day.

most people wont get a look in.

Or.. it will be the new era of, Hey I donated on your twitch stream and sub'd company leader does that get me a spot when you pick your 10 guildies for battle? P2C "pay to creep"

Wonder how they will end up making that a fair thing lol.
    YashaX
  • GatsuZerkGatsuZerk Member UncommonPosts: 137

Asheram said:

Want to try that one more time? Perhaps in English?